• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Natchez Trace by Jeff

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Not to even try to out do Janet with her thread on the trace, I thought I'd post up my pictures from my ride down (north to south) the trace. I was returning from Rolling Thunder XXII after Memorial Day and just had to get off the freeway. Exit 192 on I-40 in Tennessee provided such relief. Nice twisty road that will soon be full of houses as Nashville seems to be growing down that road. :giveup:

North Entrance to the trace.
P1000332.jpg

I do have a complaint and I have already sent in an email asking about it but at either end the above sign is about all that is there. No welcome center, bathroom, nada. I did manage to find a small metal box attached to a smaller sign with some maps in it but that's it folks. Here is a link to said map. Very detailed with stuff on the Trace itself but nothing once you get off.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=natr&parkname=Natchez Trace Parkway

P1000333.jpg

Just in case you were wondering, I did get positive comments from lots of folks on my use of the lime green vest on the back luggage. I believe I was seen a long way off by traffic coming up behind me.

Anyway back to the Trace..

P1000336.jpg

P1000338.jpg

Merriwether Lewis grave site...
P1000340.jpg

P1000341.jpg

P1000343.jpg

This place got my attention because, well, my first name is Jeff and I thought "what the heck". besides it has a bathroom.
P1000345.jpg

looking east from Jeff busby park
P1000346.jpg

looking west
P1000348.jpg

At the south end of the Trace....
P1000350.jpg

P1000351.jpg

Again, no ranger station, welcome center, nothing. Just a nice memorial plaque.
P1000353.jpg

I didn't take a lot of photos as I was just trying to relax and enjoy the view. There are many places to stop and just sit and enjoy nature. I did not go off roading like Janet (my hero for doing that on her FJR! :clap:). I just stayed on the pavement and slowed down. After 70-75 mph on the slab and still being in the way of most heavy traffic and scaring the h e double hockey sticks out of myself in Knoxville during a real nasty thunderstorm, the Natchez Trace was a welcome change to the madness of the United States Interstate system.

One place I wish I taken pictures of was the museum in Kosciusko, Mississippi. The town is named after the Polish General who during the American Revolution, built West Point for General Washington. He also built several other forts up and down the east coast of the United States. Nice place and gas just up the street. the other claim to fame for Kosciusko, Mississippi is that Oprah was born there. Yes, that Oprah. she has a small section of the museum there and the folks are very proud of her. The docent at the museum was proud of the fact that she had "built using her own money the $4 million dollar Boys and Girls club/community center".

well, the rest of the trip was very uneventful as it was pretty much a repeat of the trip I took two years ago. Lots of bikes at the Pentegon (100k in the parking lots would be my guess) and a lot of folks lining the streets. Next time I go I think I will not do the Pentegon and just go down the route and watch the parade. Just be a tourist.

Hope everyone enjoys the pictures. Go ride the Natchez Trace. You need to relax. :rider:

Jeff, it looks like you have a headless, armless, and legless passenger on your bike! :eek2:

Great report, though! :thumb:

Jeff, it looks like you have a headless, armless, and legless passenger on your bike! :eek2:

Great report, though! :thumb:

Yeah, I got that a lot. Since my helmet show above the bag, at least it's a helmeted headles, armless, and legless passenger! :trust:

Jeff,

Would be nice if there was a small visitor center at each end of the Trace. The park service will be adding a visitor center at the Meriwether Lewis area (work is supposed to be starting later this year). But that is about 55 miles down the Trace from the northern terminus.

Folks can check out http://www.natcheztracetravel.com for info/pictures/maps for each of the 80+ stops along the Natchez Trace as well as information about bed and breakfasts located along the way.

Jeff,

Would be nice if there was a small visitor center at each end of the Trace. The park service will be adding a visitor center at the Meriwether Lewis area (work is supposed to be starting later this year). But that is about 55 miles down the Trace from the northern terminus.

Folks can check out http://www.natcheztracetravel.com for info/pictures/maps for each of the 80+ stops along the Natchez Trace as well as information about bed and breakfasts located along the way.

What a great resource. Thanks for the link & :welcome:

Jeff,

Nice RR, thanks for taking us along...

Back