• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ROT Rally 2009

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The ROT Rally officially started on Thursday. However, the big biker parade in downtown Austin was on Friday evening, followed by Kaptain Robby Knievel's motorcycle jump. I ventured downtown to watch the parade but didn't stick around to watch the jump (didn't want to pay the $20 entry fee). Here's the pics from the parade.

Parade central was Congress Ave. I had to park several blocks away and on my walk to Congress I came upon this view of the Capitol.
562216737_JF33L-L.jpg

The police had Congress Ave blocked off to all traffic, giving me a great opportunity to snap a shot of the Capitol from the middle of Congress Ave. Any other time and I would have been run over by a car trying to get this shot.
562217182_M6Jbq-L.jpg

There were some really interesting things up in the air to look at and think deeply about, as illustrated by my 2 sons and their 2 friends.
562218292_dJ7A5-L.jpg

The Paramount Theater put out the welcome sign
562217848_oiW6g-L.jpg

Never go to a motorcycle rally without your Light Saber. If you forget to bring one with you, don't fear. You could buy one for just $5 from the street vendor selling them.
562218950_GN8BY-L.jpg

There were a heck of a lot of people waiting for the parade.
Looking north up Congress Ave.
562219615_bYSg2-L.jpg

Looking south down Congress Ave
562219572_o3EWJ-L.jpg

The crowds were at least 5 people deep everywhere. If you weren't up front it was tough to see the parade. The best option was to seek high ground.
562225225_vNRkF-L.jpg

Finally, after hanging around for 1.5 hours, the parade showed up.

It's a biker rally, not a cruiser rally. While cruisers dominated, every type of bike was present.
562224148_Hu2Rv-L.jpg

There were lots of interesting looking people everywhere.
562223718_fJwfD-L.jpg

Death wears a sombrero, not a pale mask.
562225322_wr7NA-L.jpg

The latest is motorcycle fashion - make your engine and tranny glow green while wearing a shiny helmet. Very fun.
562223673_7Q5gM-L.jpg

The crowd offered lots of encouragement to the parade of riders, as illustrated by this gal.
562226206_aG9Lf-L.jpg

The ROT Rally is an adult rally so leave the kids at home.
562225564_tfWX4-L.jpg

Is it real or a photoshop trick?
562226342_9Td6t-L.jpg

Every so often someone would walk by and hand you a card advertising something. This one was for a girl band that doesn't wear a lot of clothing. Wonder if they can actually sing?
562221353_HYKtL-L.jpg

When you get tired, you can take a short rest on a parking meter.
562220873_LVC4Z-L.jpg

Go Longhorns.
562220106_frVQK-L.jpg

Want to make your computer sound like a Harley? Why you would want your computer to sound like a Harley is beyond me, but, still, here it is.
562221054_rD9cc-L.jpg

Nothing like a street vendor with no rhythm drumming on a tin can to set the tone for a motorcycle parade.
562222261_PuVYj-L.jpg

Cowboy Harley Davidson recruited some young gals to throw something orange to the crowd. I don't know what they were throwing but the crowd sure was enthusiastic when they drove by.
562222379_6xLG4-L.jpg

This fellow came straight over from the Mardi Gras parade and didn't even bother to take off his beads. I'm thinking he wont' really need them at the ROT rally...
562222316_Gp6Up-L.jpg

Attention.
562226917_YpRE7-L.jpg

This gal was guarding the custom bikes entered in the custom bike contest. I'm only including this picture so you will know the ROT folks were serious about security.
562226461_2wKRR-L.jpg

After that last shot I headed home to watch Kaptain Robby do his jump on live TV. This was the first ROT Rally thing I've ever done. I wouldn't go back to the parade again just for the parade, but I would go back again for more fun photographing interesting sights and people.

Last edited:
:clap:

Again, your sense of humor and photo skills do not disappoint! I really enjoy the panning shots taken during the parade.

Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't go back to the parade again just for the parade, but I would go back again for more fun photographing interesting sights and people.

That is what I think about a lot of the different "happening's" around the country, I wouldn't go to them for the parade/rally/show but would to see the odd sights and odd/strange/weird folks.

Thanks for sharing. What did RK jump?

AWESOME pics...All I know is I'd much rather look at pictures than actually be there. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. I had fun taking them.

Robbie jumped several 18 wheelers parked end to end. I think his jump was about 200 feet long and his ramp launched him about 50 feet into the air. The local Austin channel (News 8) covered it live, so that's how I watched it.

He nailed it perfectly.

Central Texas Harley was still trying to figure out how to charge $100 each for the doo-dads and $100 labor charge for each of the girls.
562222379_6xLG4-L.jpg

Attending through your pictures and excellent story telling, I can say I've been to ROT without actually being there. ;-)

The rally is what, fifteen years now and I've still to make an event in person. Just keep posting pictures and that's how I'll go thank-you-very-much.

Attending through your pictures and excellent story telling, I can say I've been to ROT without actually being there. ;-)

The rally is what, fifteen years now and I've still to make an event in person. Just keep posting pictures and that's how I'll go thank-you-very-much.

+1 I've only picked up a few of the participants over the years since I was stationed along FM2222.

Was that last night? *looking around wondering if he forgot to set his watch..

Great shots, narrated cynicism priceless. ;)
Thanks

I went last year in full gear (like I always do when I ride) and people looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't go last night but I'll be enjoying the sights this afternoon.

Several of my Bros went to Austin for this weekends bash. I told them I don't do crowds anymore. ;-). I think most of them were trailering. Thanks for the pictures. Really neat get together for those that love this stuff.

It's a biker rally, not a cruiser rally.

I was wondering who was riding the only KLR I saw down on Congress last night :-P I didn't want to be the only KLR rider in the midst so I rode the crusier. Maybe next time I'll ride the KLR and we can form our own parade :-P

Driving home yesterday, 290E, I couldn't believe how many people were wearing shorts. :eek2: I mean there were more shorts than helmets...heck there were more shorts than jeans. I'm no ATGATT preacher, but I was pretty amazed.

I drove from Waco to Austin Friday afternoon--passed (and was passed by) several bikes obviously on the way to the ROT--only helmet I saw was on a woman passenger--of course she was in a tank top and shorts. I'm amazed every year that so few of the visiting bikers crash. On the other hand, I'd be afraid to ride some of the bikes I see fast enough to get in trouble.

Maybe next year we can get a bunch of Stromers and dualsport types to join the parade--full gear and quiet mufflers....................

I'm amazed every year that so few of the visiting bikers crash.

I always hear rumors of crashes and even fatalities but any news coverage is minimal on the carnage angle. With the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality in news coverage that seems odd.

Oh they crashed, and then they crashed some more. What I'd love to see is the arrest stats including DWI's involving bikers this weekend.

Oh they crashed, and then they crashed some more. What I'd love to see is the arrest stats including DWI's involving bikers this weekend.

The ROT does bring a lot of money to Austin and the surrounding area. On the other hand, I wonder how many 'ordinary' citizens stay home over the weekend.

I saw one hatless scruffy looking dude on a 'domestic cruiser' talking with a peace officer beside 620 near Lohmans Crossing this morning...

I always hear rumors of crashes and even fatalities but any news coverage is minimal on the carnage angle. With the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality in news coverage that seems odd.

From what I've pulled from local news, there were two fatalities on Lime Creek Rd (2-up on a sport bike, failed a curve, hit a fence, killed both) and one fatality on 290 when a bike (2-up) rear-ended a vehicle (one fatality).

I went to ROT 2 years ago. I doubt I'd go back unless I scored some free tickets. The parade is ok if you have a decent spot and ear plugs. However, it is the photographic opportunity of the summer. :trust:

I played Call of Duty - World at War for a couple of hours and then took a nap. My trip to the Leif Johnson Ford parts counter earlier convinced me that I didn't want to mingle. I didn't find the bikers to be an issue, as much as the drivers. I saw more acts of aggression between 620 and Lamar (on 183) than I have all year. It was just getting stupid.

On a side note, whoever decided to prep 183 for a resurface and dug out the pavement at each of the expansion joints for several miles, creating a sharp jolt as you drive across them is one sick puppy.

I played Call of Duty - World at War for a couple of hours and then took a nap. My trip to the Leif Johnson Ford parts counter earlier convinced me that I didn't want to mingle. I didn't find the bikers to be an issue, as much as the drivers. I saw more acts of aggression between 620 and Lamar (on 183) than I have all year. It was just getting stupid.

On a side note, whoever decided to prep 183 for a resurface and dug out the pavement at each of the expansion joints for several miles, creating a sharp jolt as you drive across them is one sick puppy.

My boss rides in from Leander daily on 183 on his HD and made the very same comment last Thursday. Austin spends so much time and money on this rally and TxDot goes and creates that disaster-in-the-making. :doh:

TXDOT in Austin has history of planning major road repairs in conjunction with major events. Most commonly closing sections of the highway feeding Memorial Stadium on UT football days.

My boss rides in from Leander daily on 183 on his HD and made the very same comment last Thursday. Austin spends so much time and money on this rally and TxDot goes and creates that disaster-in-the-making. :doh:
They have a habit of doing that....

I know in Oklahoma any work on I-35 between Norman and the Red River there is a clause in the ODOT contracts to have both lanes open on OU-Texas weekend and if they aren't there are rather substantial penalties. It all came out of a bridge that was being redone (steel repainting, crack fixing) south of Norman one year. They had traffic down to one lane each way under the bridge even though there was no work being done on the weekend and there was no reason why the traffic under the bridge could have had both lanes. It took three hours to get from Ardmore to Purcell, it was not a fun time. After that they changed the way they handled work on I-35 in early October.

A paparazzi visit to 6th Street

With all the bikers in town, I figured 6th Street would be a beehive of activity come sundown. So, with only the unselfish intent of keeping my TWT brethren up to date on ROT :trust:, I ventured downtown Saturday night for some paparazzi photography. Yes, I voluntarily subjected myself to the madness of 6th street for your benefit and risked life and limb to grab some paparazzi photos. :-P Stuntman Jeff came along as my wing man and bodyguard.

Let's have a look, but first, man, it's been hot the last few days and Saturday was no different. How about a cold beer at Fado's Irish Pub in the warehouse district first?
563515115_vrLMM-L.jpg

563514842_Ruj5E-L.jpg

Once we were adequately cooled-off, Stuntman Jeff and I walked over to 6th Street. I really like the new Frost building and have been trying to get a good night time picture of it for quite some time now, but still don't have one that I really like. Here's the best I could do on Saturday night. It will have to do for now.
563514765_vDwuL-L.jpg

If you didn't feel like walking you could catch a ride with on a bicycle taxi. They were running a thriving business in the warehouse district. This fellow was taking a short break and enjoying a little people watching. Peace out.
563517900_FuTYm-L.jpg

Over on 6th Street the cops had blocked it off to all vehicle traffic except motorcycles. As anticipated, there were folks everywhere and bikes of every description were lined up 2 and 3 deep on both sides of the road.
563521290_Lckxo-L.jpg

563517184_2as3g-L.jpg

563520920_zKGPd-L.jpg

Some dual sport adventure riders were representing.
563520305_fKphd-L.jpg

563520759_qGmRX-L.jpg

Now fully immersed in the mass of humanity, Stuntman and I spent the next 4 hours hanging out and enjoying life on 6th Street. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, ROT is the photographic opportunity of the summer. As much as I like candid photography I have to fully agree with that sentiment.

more to follow...

Our first order of business upon arriving on 6th Street was to walk the length of it and just take in the action. I snapped pics here and there as interesting things, bikes, and people appeared (well, interesting to my eye anyway).

Secret Service Riders?
563517137_NPbsN-L.jpg

I guess they are technically wearing helmets, but what's the point?
563519138_XPSgy-L.jpg

Ride or Wrestle? Sometimes the choices life presents us with are not completely anticipated. I'm definitely going to get a lucador mask the next time I'm in Mexico.
563522350_wiSA9-L.jpg

"I'll take a gold necklace and a toe ring, please". If you forgot to wear enough jewelry you could always pick some up from this vendor set up right on 6th street.
563523859_7JSPC-L.jpg

Don't have a motorcycle? No problem, your bicycle is welcome too.
563523670_P75N2-L.jpg

The Boozefighters MC had a spot staked out. You could identify them by their vests with the "Boozefighters" logo on the back and their distinctive green bandanas.
563524664_Yx3th-L.jpg

563525763_dnBHk-L.jpg

I'm not sure what this was all about. Yes, those things are attached to her Boozefighter back via piercings.
563525296_HTvBc-L.jpg

A very red headed Boozerfighter
563531625_y3w8p-L.jpg

This guy and his gal let the party come to them. Reclined on their motorcycle, they contentedly hung out for a few hours.
563523247_KG5zd-L.jpg

There was no better opportunity to enjoy a good cigar. Stuntman Jeff demonstrating impeccable form and a manly attitude.
563526616_TfzDH-L.jpg

I'm not sure if this is technically a cigar, but she gets a A+ for style.
563530607_b6use-L.jpg

Waiting for the bus?
563527030_faHr7-L.jpg

While I most definitely recommend leaving the kids at home for this one, some folks had a different point of view. This little cutie stole the show with her ride. Very cool.
563528923_cp4FW-L.jpg

563529889_njAZe-L.jpg

You may have heard stories about the "adult" nature of ROT. While there is lots of adult stuff going on over at the ROT central (the Travis County Fairgrounds and Expo Center), there was none of that stuff happening on 6th Street. A very few gals were skimpily dressed (see below), but they were the exception. Most everyone else was completely dressed, wearing the same stuff they would on any Saturday night on 6th street..

563527924_z7GzK-L.jpg

563519635_kaMaM-L.jpg

Black dresses (I think they are called cocktail dresses) appear to be the height of fashion this year. The co-eds showed up about midnight and these black outfits were easily the most common dress.
563525258_GEnjn-L.jpg

563528213_Xi3B3-L.jpg

This is recording artist Larry Hargrove. He wins the award as the best dressed person.
563535952_i93Q7-L.jpg

more to follow...

Back