• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Canary Islands

Reaction score
I just finished a 8 day business trip to the Canary Islands--didn't get to ride, but saw lots of scooters and motorcycles.

By far, the majority of the riders were on scooters. Mostly smaller two strokes like these.

CopyofIMG_0102.jpg

CopyofIMG_0103.jpg

There were also a lot of these big scooters like Burgmans.

CopyofIMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

I think most motorcycle riders were on standards with upright riding positions and top boxes or saddle bags.

IMG_0272.jpg

Just after I snapped this picture the boy touched the bike and its alarm went off and he jumped about ten feet.

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Crusiers were popular too and even Harleys.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

There were fewer sportbikes--in fact I saw very few. Probably because the seven islands are small and there are very few places to use one to good effect. Add to that that the speed limits are low and there is radar everywhere and they are probably a luxury for most people.

I did see some streetfighters though.

IMG_0396.jpg

It looks like you can park anywhere you want.

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

They don't AGATT either. I saw lots of people riding in shorts and sandals or suits, but I never saw anyone without a helmet. The few people I saw on sport bikes were more likely to be decked out in matching riding gear and the scooter riders were more likely to be wearing what they wore for work.

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

Filtering and lane sharing were common and it looked like most drivers made room for the bikes.

IMG_0405.jpg

Lots of bikes and beautiful weather--the average highs in the summer are around 80 degrees and the winter temps are only slightly lower. There is a 12,000 foot high volcano on Tenerefe and you can ride up to where there is several feet of snow in the winter. I wish I'd been able to ride a little.

One of my favorite things to see when I travel is all the different types of cars and motorcycles that aren't common here or not shipped here.

What type of work do you do to get to go the Canary Islands? Must have been a tough assignment.

Looking at the google map of the Canary Islands I think I can see why so many two wheelers. Those roads look hella fun! Maybe this why Spain seems to have so many MotoGP riders. :rider: Thanks for sharing.

Back