• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scotland Riding - Part 2

Oh My Gosh what good photos. Your PAS worked perfect. I went to the first in the Smug Mug and viewed them all. Been to some of the places but would have loved to have been riding and running that route with y'all.
Now what was all the wire on the Honda, towards the end. And what do you do when a major part breaks while out in the Highlands?
What fun.

Bill R

Oh My Gosh what good photos. Your PAS worked perfect. I went to the first in the Smug Mug and viewed them all. Been to some of the places but would have loved to have been riding and running that route with y'all.
Now what was all the wire on the Honda, towards the end. And what do you do when a major part breaks while out in the Highlands?
What fun.

Bill R

Thanks Bill... Both my and Graeme's P&S (Sony/Cannon respectively) shot IMO really nice pictures. The video I just put up was compiled with nothing but pictures from the P&S.

The First video (Ben Nevis) was shot with the D90, and the pictures with the black borders were shot with the D90.

If you looked at all 18 pages of pictures, check back later, as I am only about half way through uploading, I think i only have up through day 4 up there so far.

The wires were the temporary install of power supply to the tank bag. Graeme put together 2 pig tails, one for each bike, with fuses and BMW plugs to run straight from the battery. Crude install yes, but serviced us both well for the 7 days on the bike.

As for a break down in the highlands, I personally would just find a pub and ask for a Tennents! :deal:

Yay. Looking forward to this ride report. The pictures have whetted my appetite.

Here is some general info on the trip.

Sunrise was around 05:30 with sunset around 21:30. With plenty of day light we would be gone for around 10 hours everyday.
Most days we would get off the bikes for an hour or so to eat lunch.

The only other common theme to the trip was Duke saying at the end of everyday "I would be happy just riding todays route again and again" then the next day that days route was the best. LOL

We had a little rain then sleet followed by hale then finishing with sunshine and a few gusty sections for the first day. The next 6 days there was little to no wind and clear blue skies and sunshine. This many days of great weather in a row is unheard of for this time of year :sun::sun:

The totals for the trip
IMG_5382.jpg

If you think 40mph is slow, you ain't ridden Scottish roads.
IMG_5207.jpg

Neither of us had chicken strips on our tires, Duke ground off all but 2 of the metal plates on the toes of his boots. I am pretty sure that we wore out a set of rear brake pads and both of us had blisters on our big toes from the shifter lever :rider:

All the routes combined.
DayALL.jpg

Some Random Pictures / Story Telling...

This is a castle that we stopped at on our ride up towards Inverness. It has a Shakespear connection and is still owned by the same family going on nearly 400 years.

576692973_zwDrG-L.jpg

This is above its drawbridge

576710593_aoGio-L.jpg

This family's crest

576702363_Y64Sr-L.jpg

Just a bird that stood still for me.

576697975_WRNHx-L.jpg

The castle Gardens & a tree line I found interesting

576704583_QCAQu-L.jpg

576697828_EHgbM-L.jpg

Hmmm.... Do you think he is compensating?

576701625_5Lfjv-L.jpg

This is a memorial / grave site for a Scottish General

576770273_Ymnuq-L.jpg

The view from the hill side cemetery infront of the memorial

576780060_yYVdU-L.jpg

These were surrounding the memorial at each corner.

576775767_rTLKn-L.jpg

Caption Contest!

576785350_VPz8A-L.jpg

Inverness Castle

576767652_CuDzr-L.jpg

This one was taken with my Sony P&S Camera, while we were riding towards the tip of Black Island. (I Think), and is the image that is the first one I think of when I think of Scotland. Snow capped mountains, lots of agriculture (in this case Rape Seed fields), Water (be it the north sea, atlantic ocean, or lakes (lochs).

576781956_Ue72b-L.jpg

Photo of Graeme at the town at the tip of Black Island

576782545_FEb5T-L.jpg

Up at John O'Groats

A Crab Boat worker eats lunch while tending to the crab pots

576792446_iZwvZ-L.jpg

576791087_ERr72-L.jpg

No pictures today...

576793775_xmgsb-L.jpg

Somewhere off of the most fun road I have ever ridden, on the North Central/North West coast of Scotland.

576818083_gv69T-L.jpg

This was taken while back on the bike with my Sony P&S Camera.

576815777_5wpKM-L.jpg

Heading over towards the Isle of Skye I think...???....

576817558_gwDgb-L.jpg

I like this one a lot, so I cropped in....

576816318_UgWeB-L.jpg

What would a trip to Scotland be without checking out a Golf course.

576818851_bUsHc-L.jpg

While on the ferry leaving the Isle of Skye

576877439_8sZvU-L.jpg

Just a neat picture of a Copper Birch while we took a rest break one afternoon. (taken with the Sony P&S)

576880376_sCTa4-XL.jpg

Another bird that stood still...

576888202_ZrqeF-L.jpg

More to come later...

Last edited:
Some excellent shots!

Nice timing getting the golf ball in flight.

:popcorn:

We really do have some excellent photographers on this site. Love the pictures Duke.

Back