• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Soozy's 50 First Dates Tour:The Ride Report

Soozy, I talked to Tanaya today to let her know you will be passing through. You have a place to stay that night if you wish. She's looking forward to meeting you! Just give her a call on her cell phone, or stop into the local HD shop in Albany and ask for the Shop Employee of the Month ;-)

BTW, if you are going up the Oregon coast Highway 101, let me know. On the Yaquina Bay is a fabulous restaurant: Mo's. It's on the pier overlooking the bay and they have THE best clam chowder and clams west of New England. From there, Hwy 20 meanders through the Coastal Range down into the Willamette Valley, into Philomath (where I used to live) and Corvallis, then veers northeast to Albany. Great ride through the mountains and along farmland, through small towns and a smallish college town (Corvallis). I think you would enjoy the ride.

Glad to see you are enjoying yourself!

I think I will call Tanaya tomorrow. It looks like I will be there Wednesday. I really look forward to meeting her, and I will take lots of pictures for you, Elzi. I appreciate you both.

Here are some shots from today. I spent the afternoon touring with a friend from long ago. It was date number 5!

So on with the adventure. I got to meet Pat's friend John yesterday and share some local brew. Good times!

IMG_2749.jpg

I HAVE to do this!

IMG_2745.jpg

I started out this morning early to make the meet up time of 9:30 near Sausalito. It is always wonderful to see an old friend! We planned to ride in his fun car. He drives it hard and has done many track days with it.

IMG_2772.jpg

Here is the exhaust for you enthusiasts out there.

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

And the motor...

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

He drove me on all his favorite roads and I was shooting over the wind shield.

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

San Francisco on the horizon.

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

We went to a beautiful winery for lunch.

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

We also dropped by to see some eye candy.

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

It was a wonderful day in spite of the baking on the ride back to Stockton. I am packing for the run to Rio Dell tomorrow. Hwy 36 awaits!

The outside one, or the inside one? I know the outside one is only $100K. I could send it UPS.

I am safe and sound in the home of Wally (Wannabeguru) and DeeDee. It is nestled in a lush valley with a 360 degree view. I am working on the ride report and I want you all to know that it is now a requirement for each of you to ride Highway 36 form Red Bluff to the intersection of 101. Twisties for 150 miles through giant redwoods for half of that. I am not sure I have breathed yet.

And I am already missing Pat (Fitty)

Pictures later!

Oh, now that sounds like a nice stretch of road. I'll keep that in mind.

Monday, June 29

I got an early start out of Stockton to attempt to beat the heat and commuter traffic. The road I wanted to ride runs from Red Bluff on I-5 to Hwy 101, so I elected an Interstate run. Hwy 36 is stunning pastoral pleasure with constant curves running through hills covered with live oaks that give way to pines.

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

It rises about 5000 feet and turns into close quick rising and falling twisties that zip through giant redwoods. Every sense is involved. I felt the constant change of temperature and the fresh breeze that sometimes turned into heavy wind. The smells of the forest changed around every bend. Redwood trees smell sweet and woody. I found I had to chose between riding the road or looking at the scenery. Couldn't do both at once. Wally arranged to meet me in a spot with store and gas that was 100 miles into the twisties for me and 50 in from the other direction for him. I rode downhill for better than 20 miles coming out of the mountain to the store where Wally was there waiting for me with his Bandit.

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

The best part of this road is the last 50 miles with its switchbacks and redwoods as wide as my bike is long.

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

I am making friends with Wally's puppies and DeeDee is still at work, but I hear she is planning to barbeque chicken when she gets home.

I will post pictures of my hosts Wally and Deedee a little later. Dates #6 and #7!!!

Wally, Deedee, and Deedee's cousin Troy made a wonderful meal!

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

Strawberry Margaritas! I need a designated typer.

Some views...this bluff has a cross in it that can be seen at sunset

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

Deedee has talents!

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

Good people and Dates 6, 7, and 8! Dee Dee is from this area, so she set me up with a plan for tomorrow. Klamath Falls are out and Creston City is in. I might see a whale. :mrgreen:

Great stuff Soozy! You are killing me. Don't stop, have the time of your life. Don't come home and say "man, I wished I had done that". I love the road, and I love reading about other people's road trips. You go girl!

Good people and Dates 6, 7, and 8! Dee Dee is from this area, so she set me up with a plan for tomorrow. Klamath Falls are out and Creston City is in. I might see a whale. :mrgreen:

Soozy, what is in Creston City?:popcorn::lol2:

If you get a chance, Silver Falls SP (just east of Silverton) is well worth a 1/2 day trip. Something like 11 falls in a relatively easy 5 mile hike.

This one at the north end of the park is less than a mile walk from the parking lot and I think 135' tall.

hard to get a perspective, but this one you can walk behind.
566933683_fSAL7-L-1.jpg

566938738_2U3LT-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Gary: glad you mentioned Silver Falls. My wife has taken me there several times. Well worth the side trip, but I don't know if Soozy's schedule will permit it. Keep this lady in your prayers for safety, folks.

Aww, thanks Wally!! I am safe at Crescent City, Ca. The birthplace of Deedee!! I love this place right on the Pacific. I really enjoyed my Rio Dell host family and the route they put together for me today. It was perfect! I will post up soon as I explore. I just will leave you all with this story...

I was working on the computer yesterday evening after the magnificent meal Deedee and family put together. Deedee took a phone call and I overheard her explain me being there like this:

Yeah, yeah...Wally met a woman on the internet and wanted her to spend the night.

I was giggling as she caught me listening and she put her hand over the phone and said, "It sounds better that way!"

:rofl:

Seriously good people!

Rasz asked what is in Crescent City. Well, let me tell you.

Tuesday, June 30

I felt like I was leaving old friends as I packed this morning, but the adventure today was designed by Wally, Deedee, and Troy.

I headed North on 101 in heavy fog and stopped a couple of times to put on more gear. I was eventually dressed the same way as I do on the mornings that are in the 30's at home. Yes, one does need winter gloves on a summer trip. As the road got close to the coast I made little side trips for pictures and to warm up.

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

Do you feel the cold in this picture?

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

I made this side trip to ride through the Prairie with a chance of seeing elk herds. And it took me through crazy beautiful forest.

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Tiny prairie flowers. Sometimes I like to see the micro stuff too.

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

Then I met this tree.

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

I am pretty sure it is a boy.

IMG_2888.jpg

I made another side trip in Klamath where I rode a rough twisty road along the Klamath River to the point of confluence with the Pacific. I could not get pictures because the cliff side shoulder was too scary for me.

I went searching for a drive thru tree and did not come up empty handed. So worth two bucks!

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

The tree is right near Klamath

IMG_2892.jpg

These guys are there also. The Paul Bunyon guy is talking to people in the parking lot. "Hey! Hey you in the yellow. Don't go!" Think of the fun you could have with that job.

IMG_2894.jpg

Back on the road and suddenly OCEAN.

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

See the seagull?

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

It was my June 30, too!

IMG_2915.jpg

Seriously waterproof boots.

IMG_2918.jpg

Arriving in Crescent City...and it truly is a crescent around a wide open bay.
I found my home for the night.

IMG_2928.jpg

Then went exploring!

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

This light house will show up in the background of many of the next pictures.

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

Five little girls learning to fish.

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

It is really windy!

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

I walked to this dock area from the motel. I LOVE this stuff!

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

Purple centered Daisy?

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

This is whale watching territory. I saw seals today, but no whales. That means that I HAVE to return again. :mrgreen: Too too bad!

Time for dinner!

You're making me vewwy homesick.................

Wait till you see the Oregon coast :)

Keep on truckin', Sooz!

(p.s. Give Tanaya a hug for me.)

"When I saw "My Lighthouse" I got a tear in my eye to know you found the sacred place. I had forgotten how much that little beach means to me. I am so glad you found it. I always have to go see "My beach and Lighthouse" every time I'm near Crescent City. I was excited to see Silver Creek Falls mentioned too. I can't even recall how many memories I have of family picnics and winter wonderlands and summer "pickup" dates I have had at Silver Creek Falls. The full walk is 9 miles around the falls with 11 water falls and 3 you can walk under in all. I've done the full walk twice. Wally and I have camped there before. It has a very nice campground. It was nice to have you and I hope to see more pix! The northern California coast is equal to the Oregon Coast. Real Californians consider us in Oregon. Real Californians think their state ends at San Fransisco, or Sacramento for sure![/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited:
The tree you met and claim is a "boy" is one that is showing you where "burl" wood is obtained from. The wood is extremely curly grained and verypretty/ornate. Also very expensive and as you can seenot veryplentiful.
Wally

Jonathan Livingston Seagull !!

Beautiful pics, Soozy; you are confirming that the PCH is a must-do trip.

I've noticed that you have significant zoom capability, what photo equipment are you using?

Thanks again for sharing; ride and stay safe.....

I am at the home of Tanaya and Evan in Albany Oregon!!! I am going to hang out with Evan and his friend Bob until Tanaya gets home from work.

I am going to annoy them with all the picture taking, but I am doing it for Elzi.

DD, I LOVE your birth city!!

Tank, my camera is a Canon 590. It has been zooming 2x this trip, but I know there is a 4x setting. The zoom tends to smoke up the picture. I chose this one because the digital viewers are often hard to see when outside. This is one of the few under 300 bucks that has the old fashioned view lens also, and it shows the zoom. It is a smallish camera and fits my jacket pocket. It is woefully inept for the views I am seeing!

FJR...you got it buddy!

Janet, I passed a sign for a Coast Guard post today and thought of you.

These are for Elzi!! Love your daughter and Evan! Bob and Linni are also here and are both hoots! They are all together dates # 9,10,11, and 12!

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

Bob is Evan's best friend.

IMG_3042.jpg

And Evan is Bob's best friend.

IMG_3043.jpg

Evan's head blew today.

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

Isn't she lovely!! This is Tanaya, Elzi's daughter.:mrgreen:

IMG_3046.jpg

And her bike.

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

Tanaya's work place.

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

Her work station.

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Memory Lane. (Elzi in a dress!!!)

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

More stuff later...this was the important stuff.

Tanaya sure looks like her mommy.

Keep em coming Soozy. :clap:

Back