• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Utah bound part 1

L

lonestarrider

I didn’t think that the day would come soon enough for my trip to Salt Lake City, Utah. Ever since I had made the trek to SLC last year and back I began to plan again on which routes I would use going and returning. This year’s trip I decided to head south to ride across southern New Mexico going through Cloudcroft, Alamogordo, Silver City and to the Arizona state line. Then turn up north on the infamous US 191 (Devil’s Backbone) and make my way through the Coconino National Forest to I-17 and stop in Flagstaff for the night. Then get make my way up US 89 then take US 89 alternate to Utah, from there I turn west on HWY 9 and ride through the Zion National Park and hook up with I-15 to Salt Lake City. I liked this route and on June 25th early in the morning I took off.
HPIM0793.jpg

The ride south through Texas and portions of New Mexico is as plain as it can get. It wasn’t until after Hope, NM and the oilfields did the terrain start to change. The ride into Cloudcroft was a welcome relief of the stark plains to the east with nice sweeping turns and mountain scenery. Once through Cloudcroft I started my decent into Alamogordo with the White Sands National Monument on the horizon. At first you would think it was snow because of how white the sand is.
HPIM0797.jpg

In Alamogordo I made my first fuel stop, next one would be in Alpine, AZ so I squeezed in all the fuel I could into my main and auxiliary tank, which I had completely drained riding the 402 miles from Amarillo, my bike can carry 10.75 gallons and I used 10.68.
So with both tanks filled I got on my way across the deserts of New Mexico. I have been this way many times over the years and enjoy riding over the Organ Mountains into Las Cruces, but after that I-10 just drones on. It was welcome relief to turn off the super slab and head north on US 180 to Silver City, NM. In the distance rain clouds where gathering and my chances to get wet was increasing, I was heading right for it. At my turn onto NM Hwy 78 the rain came down hard and cold.
HPIM0801.jpg

I wear First Gears’ Denali jacket and HT over pants so the inclement weather was not a problem, besides it was a short lived shower. As I got closer to the state line the curves got tighter and more enjoyable. This part of the trip on this first day was my favorite, especially when I turned up north onto US 191.
HPIM0806.jpg

I have known that this highway was the uber motorcycle road after reading all the different articles on the internet and M/C magazines, now I was experiencing it. The climb to Morenci, AZ from Clifton is full of tight switchbacks as you ride along beside the largest US open pit copper mine. It is unbelievable how huge and deep it is.
HPIM0811-1.jpg

Once pass the mine the tight turns loosen a little and giving my pegs a break from being ground on. I will have to say that US191 is the best road I had ridden to date. The curves are more numerous and tighter than I have ever encountered since riding the 3 Sisters in the Hill Country.
After stopping in Alpine, AZ and a quick break I made my way across the Coconino Forest and dodging the heavy tourist traffic. I was more concerned about the tourist than the wildlife. I rode through the resort towns of Show Low, Payson, and Pine making my way to I-17 and Flagstaff.
HPIM0814.jpg

The entire ride to Flagstaff was in the dark and rain, with a lot of construction. I had thought about finding a campground for the night, but a motel sounded better. I arrived in Flagstaff at 23:45 CST, which in Arizona it was 22:45. So finding a room for the night was a simple task. I unloaded the bike, grabbed a quick shower and called the front desk for a 0500 wake call. It was time for some down time after traveling 1054 miles on my first day.

Brings me back! I absolutely loved my trip to Utah. Can't wait to go back. And your pics are great man!

Back