• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back in the saddle again

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
It was only a bit over 100 miles today, but after 3 years of not riding, and with the temp hovering around 102 with 10% humidity, it was enough. I started with a ride to the office early this morning and it was nice and cool riding through the farmland. All the corn has been harvested and it looks like it won't be much longer until the cotton is ready.

When I left the office in Chandler I headed east on the 202 behind someone on a Honda PC800; I dropped off at Ellsworth and headed north towards the big "Phoenix" on the side of the mountain.

I had no idea where I was going so I just followed the road up into the Usury Mountain Park area.
phx-ahh-usurymountainpark-02.jpg

The road dead ends at stop #4 of the Lower Salt River Tubing Adventure. It looks like something I'll have to try one of these days.

I headed back south to the Rio Salado Sportsman Club and had a nice cold lemonade while I listened to the music of high power, long range, short range, and full auto shooting and had a nice conversation with a gentleman wearing a Merrill's Marauders cap.

He had lived here all his life and we got to talking about the real estate market. He was an investor in a mortgage company and wound up losing about half a million, but he said that wasn't as bad as one of the other investors that lost $46MM. :eek2:

After cooling down a bit I hit the road and made my way out to Apache Junction. Ain't much there worth seeing so I headed SW and made my way back to the house. Shucked off all the gear and hit the pool.

I was going to ride to my sister's place in Benson tomorrow (50th birthday) but based upon my experience today I'm going to have to work up to those kinds of miles. The heat should start moderating next month which will help quite a bit. I have a meeting in Flagstaff next month and the boss has already approved me riding the bike up there instead of taking the company car.
:sun:

All in all, it sure is nice to be riding again. :rider:

Attachments

• Connie at Tonto Sign.jpg
    Connie at Tonto Sign.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 391
Woot! :rider:

I wonder who makes their tailbox/backrest/seat combo for them?

Dude, you are making me miss Arizona!

It would be worse if I wasn't sitting in San Diego at my sister's house. 70 degrees and 65 percent humidity.

I head back to Sugar Land tomorrow and I'll be missing both San Diego AND Chandler.

It was only a bit over 100 miles today, but after 3 years of not riding, and with the temp hovering around 102 with 10% humidity, it was enough. I started with a ride to the office early this morning and it was nice and cool riding through the farmland. All the corn has been harvested and it looks like it won't be much longer until the cotton is ready.

When I left the office in Chandler I headed east on the 202 behind someone on a Honda PC800; I dropped off at Ellsworth and headed north towards the big "Phoenix" on the side of the mountain.

I had no idea where I was going so I just followed the road up into the Usury Mountain Park area.
phx-ahh-usurymountainpark-02.jpg

The road dead ends at stop #4 of the Lower Salt River Tubing Adventure. It looks like something I'll have to try one of these days.

I headed back south to the Rio Salado Sportsman Club and had a nice cold lemonade while I listened to the music of high power, long range, short range, and full auto shooting and had a nice conversation with a gentleman wearing a Merrill's Marauders cap.

He had lived here all his life and we got to talking about the real estate market. He was an investor in a mortgage company and wound up losing about half a million, but he said that wasn't as bad as one of the other investors that lost $46MM. :eek2:

After cooling down a bit I hit the road and made my way out to Apache Junction. Ain't much there worth seeing so I headed SW and made my way back to the house. Shucked off all the gear and hit the pool.

I was going to ride to my sister's place in Benson tomorrow (50th birthday) but based upon my experience today I'm going to have to work up to those kinds of miles. The heat should start moderating next month which will help quite a bit. I have a meeting in Flagstaff next month and the boss has already approved me riding the bike up there instead of taking the company car.

All in all, it sure is nice to be riding again. :rider:

I have a meeting in Flagstaff next month and the boss has already approved me riding the bike up there instead of taking the company car.

You should go through Payson, Pine, and Happy Jack. Not I-17.

Just saying (I've only done it in a cage).

Lee

Next time take 60 to 88 and follow that by Canyon lake / Tortilla Flats. Its a mini Dragon thats close to Chandler

Next time take 60 to 88 and follow that by Canyon lake / Tortilla Flats. Its a mini Dragon thats close to Chandler

Southwestrides.com is my Two Wheeled Texan substitute out here and they have a lot of rides out to TTF and to the Salt River Canyon. They also have a favorite called Vulture Mine Rd which I understand is pretty technical.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...36,-112.825041&spn=0.024015,0.054932&t=h&z=15

It starts on the far NW side of Phoenix and runs NE through the mountains to the south side of Wickenburg. They recommended that I ride it with an experienced rider before I attempt it on my own.

Do you live out here? Your avatar photo looks like the Mogollon Rim.

Back