• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2nd Annual Beyond EPIC Adventure Ride

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Well, I'm probably the first one back so here's what I can report. (it's all good!)

A LARGE group turned out at Jims at the "Y" in Oak Hill this morning, which became LARGER about 8:10 or so when Rusty (Woodbutcher) and his crowd showed up. I believe the count was 32 or 35 bikes ranging from 250cc to 1200cc.
09EPICAdventure003.jpg

09EPICAdventure004.jpg

09EPICAdventure007.jpg

09EPICAdventure008.jpg

09EPICAdventure012.jpg

09EPICAdventure014.jpg

A short pre-ride meeting was held by Richard and then everyone was broken up into groups of five or six. The groups began to depart following either GPS routes or paper maps.
09EPICAdventure019.jpg

09EPICAdventure017.jpg

09EPICAdventure016.jpg

Along the way, many of the groups passed or were passed by others. Everyone met up in Mountain Home for a fuel/beverage stop. Along the way, Rusty said he had to stop and leave a message at a certain intersection to prove we were there.
09EPICAdventure020.jpg

The roads were great. Here's a couple groups and a typical County Road shot.
09EPICAdventure021.jpg

09EPICAdventure022.jpg

Arriving about 12:30 +/- in Mason, everyone found Coopers and feasted on BBQ. I'll have to say the service wasn't great today, but I guess if you have a County Fair at the courthouse (Apple fest?) and 37+ hungry riders come in at once you could become swamped.
09EPICAdventure024.jpg

09EPICAdventure027.jpg

09EPICAdventure028.jpg

As the groups finished up their meals, they fueled up and departed for Junction.

Weather was cool and overcast. The paved roads were fantastic and the county roads, well.... uh..... great from what everyone said. This was my first time off-road with the R1150GS and I really hadn't planned on attending other than seeing the bikes at Jims. But Richard convinced me this was a good 'entry' level ride and I could bail out at several places along the way. I made it to Mason and decided to turn back for home. However, my appetite for this has now been wetted so the search will begin for a light DS/gear.

On the way back, I crossed the Pedernales River and the picture says it all. It's been a long dry hot summer in Central Tejas.
09EPICAdventure035.jpg

And I picked up a decent ODO Poker hand as well. Four nines with a six high. ;-) Why I didn't wait a mile for four aces I don't know. :doh:
09EPICAdventure033.jpg

I can't wait to read the rest of the Trip Reports as they come in! Thanks Richard for pulling this ride together!

Last edited:
Your old 650 would work well for that kind of ride Scott.

I thought my XT 250 may be a little small for that ride - but I saw one in the pics! Sure hated to miss that ride.

Anxiously awaiting the next one.

Very nice pics too.............

Ron

So I met up with the group at Jim's at 290 and 71 and got into a group with Justin, James, Michael, Bob and Israel (sp? sorry dude, I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong). Bike line up was three DR650's, two XR650L and one Translap. I was by far the slowest of the bunch and struggled to keep up.

Labor_Day_Epic_2009001.jpg

James and Israel at a break with a number of the guys who took the freedom to... well, you know...

Labor_Day_Epic_2009006.jpg

Labor_Day_Epic_2009008.jpg

One of the riders coming down the road. With the rain we had the night before, the weather was beautiful and almost no dust on the dirt roads.

Labor_Day_Epic_2009011.jpg

Stopped in Mason for some yummy BBQ. :eat:

Labor_Day_Epic_2009013.jpg

Then we went to tackle the James River Road. Quite a site watching the different bikes trying to get across. I never concentrated so hard on my bike. I ended up next to a steel marker and had to get Bob to help me move my front tire away from it so I could keep going but I never dropped the bike and it was slicker than a lot of ice I've been on in my car in Colorado. :shock:

Labor_Day_Epic_2009019.jpg

Labor_Day_Epic_2009020.jpg

Labor_Day_Epic_2009021.jpg

Labor_Day_Epic_2009023.jpg

No one got across without sticking their feet in the water. Some had more water proof boots than others. :lol2:

Labor_Day_Epic_2009024.jpg

Here's the gang. I split off at the James River Rd and Salt Branch and headed back to Austin. I put on my MP3 player and had an excellent ride back. I had 3 to 4 river crossing on the way back, but they were all very short.

Labor_Day_Epic_2009025.jpg

Labor_Day_Epic_2009027.jpg

Looking forward to the next ride. I think we should do it sooner than later!! Thanks for setting this up Richard. :clap:

Off-Road-15AUG09001.jpg

I want to thank all the TWT folks for having me along. A great time for my first time out!

641439774_EppJZ-XL.jpg

First of all, another BIG thank you to Richard for a great Epic 2 Adventure Ride in the fabulous Texas Hill Country. I express my appreciation not only for this weekend's ride, but all the hard work that Richad has put into each of his rides, and for the behind-the-scenes planning and scouting that nobody knows about. What a big turn out this year! Goes to prove that a lot of wives and families were back home the first two days of Labor Day burning the burgers and the dogs without dear old Dad around!

This was the maiden voyage of the stealth black bedliner KLR. I tried Richard's KLR last year and had to have my own. I enjoy it more in the THC than the bigger R1200 GS Adventure. At least I don't have to worry about it crossing the river bottoms!

641437554_eq4Gr-XL.jpg

When I got home I hosed off the dirt from the bedliner surface, the bike looks as good as when I first did the paint job.

641438932_gUd8v-XL.jpg

I did make a few notes in my ride notebook. In no particular order:

Don't forget a balaclava for the face. My enduro helmet let in the stinging rain on the ride home. Nice for Texas to have rain, but I'm thankful the rain was short-lived.

I'm going to add the Zumo 550 to the KLR and hardwire it to the battery as on Richard's V-Strom and my GS.

I'm going to swap out the factory front for a TKC 80 and leave stock on the rear.

My room at the Sun Valley was less than forty bucks, was smoke-free and spotless. Air conditioning worked like an ice box and college football was on TV on Saturday night. Nice hot shower after a full day of riding the backcountry.

Know that Cooper's in Mason IS NOT THANK YOU VERY MUCH related to the Cooper's in Llano - according to the pitmaster.

641436787_rgU7q-XL.jpg

Cooper's Grade:

Brisket C+
Ribs A**
Sausage B

Ranks with the best pork ribs I have had in the state of Texas

If you want a fast breakfast at Isaack's, just order toast and hash browns.

One of the most fun things about twtex.com and Richard's Texas Adventure Co. is getting to meet people in meatspace that you first get to know a little bit on the board. If you are just lurking go get you a dual sport bike and come on out the next ride either in Mexico or out West!

641436598_DZuDS-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots ! It was a great trip, I enjoyed every minute of it. (I didn't get back to Corpus until 8pm, btw)..

I did happen to catch an allusive creature early this am, just outside Junction.

TRON was gracious enough to ride with us until lunch :)

P9060051.jpg

P9060058.jpg

I had a great time, thanks once again Richard. It was fun to meet new people and try to put names and faces to forum handles. A few words of wisdom and a picture or two to tide you over until I have slept and Smugmug is done uploading...

Wisdom
1. Don't be the last guy out of Jim's restaurant.
2. (This relates to #1) For successful map reading you need a few things:
A - The map needs to have all roads and preferably names to the roads.
B - You need an initial reference point (ie: you need to know WHERE you are.)
C - Maps don't always work well in the rain.
3. Don't try to chase Richard and his group on 337 with the DR.

And the promised pictures.

Tricepilot's Beyond Epic New Ride
641559141_xQTW8-M-1.jpg

Impending Beyond Epic Rain - Salt Creek Road
641568961_YNYUT-XL-1.jpg

Last edited:
great ride everybody, here is centextom getting it done...

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

I made it back to Houston. Richard, awesome ride! Thanks for arranging this. Oh, and instead of making right on white mountain road we made a left and enjoyed 4-5 not so slippery water crossings!

Ifram?

DSC_0301.jpg

Mike? Bob, Justin... Rusty putting it all back together

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

The old guys' frequent pee breaks is what allows a noob like myself to keep up :mrgreen:
IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Thanks for the great ride
my first offroad ride was certainly an adventure

Re: 2nd Annual Beyond EPIC Labor Day Weekend Extravaganza

We all made it back safe. Great route, we liked it so much we went back the same way. Excellent event look forward to the next.

Thanks Richard for a great ride, and nice meeting, and mingling with people that Ill never remember names! BTW, Ill get the registration sent for Galeana as long as Uncle will be there!! More photos coming. Not alot of action, just people doing there thing!

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 616

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 220

More:clap: Some guy from Waco actually kicked and put a hole in Stonehinge:eek2: I quickly took of before the authorities got there.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 227

This poor old gentleman from Round Rock (Via Australia) with the weestrom in the photo was in my group on the way to Junction, and as soon as we got there he got a text from his wife saying she was in a car accident, and was in the Round Rock hospital.He gave me his Shiner, gave Rusty his room and left for the Hospital! All I can say is I pray that everything is OK, and let us know hoe she is doing!

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Richard!! for putting together this beyond epic ride, I had a great time.
I made it back to spring TX safe.
I hope I can make the Galena ride too, right now I'll say looks like a maybe.

Sorry I missed everyone, waited until too late to try to get off work. :giveup: See y'all in Mexico I guess. :rider:

so what is all the fuss about the James river crossing?, honestly how bad can it be...

DSC_0308.jpg

wrong way TJ, come back!!

DSC_0322.jpg

ahhh sneeky idea ...

DSC_0327-1.jpg

DSC_0329-1.jpg

translapping and making it look easy ...

DSC_0328.jpg

Bob helping TJ back on course (took a small army to push me)

DSC_0332.jpg

come on, come on

DSC_0333.jpg

Big A, yellow submarine

DSC_0342.jpg

can you tow me back to Junction?

DSC_0346.jpg

Richard thanks for getting this together again, was truely and epic weekend, the roads on saturday were AWESOME!!! No dust.
The evening festivities were great too, a few beverages(or a lot):party:, the jokes, and the epic story of Mexico adventures, was the top off of a wonderful day.:clap:
Also had a great group to ride with, and hope to see them all back next time:rider::thumb:

Back