• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Out and about in the heat of Arizona

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Today was just an impromptu ride to capture a photo for a Phoenix motorcycle version of "tag". I had to get to the Mormon Temple in Mesa, snap a shot of the bike in front of the temple and then post up the next item for others to find and photograph. Unfortunately, by the time I got the photo and then got the next shot someone else had already beat me to the punch. But that's okay, I'll save them for another day/chance.

Here's the Connie in front of the temple.
3898293270_13309fa8b3_b.jpg

So that was about 40 miles just to capture the shot, and then I headed to south of Florence to get the next shot. The odometer was rolling over to 100 when I got there.

This is the Tom Mix (singing cowboy) memorial. He had a car accident at this spot trying to avoid a road construction crew that was working on the roadbed going through a wash (now named the Tom Mix Wash). He survived the accident, got out of the car, and then collapsed from a broken neck and died at that location. Yes, those are bullet holes in the horse. When it gets too bad the prisoners at Florence will make a new one.
3897512355_ab3b1fabb3_b.jpg

From there it was back up the road to the prison outlet, but since it was a holiday they were closed.
3897512645_1db150ffaf_b.jpg

Since it was 105 and I had already gone through 2 bottles of water I figured I'd stop in to the Sonic in Florence and enjoy a nice cold root beer float and some shade. As I was finishing up I noticed this coming over the horizon and decided I better "beat feet" and get myself home. When these big thunderboomers roll in you do not want to be caught out in the open.
3898294376_17163d89fc_b.jpg

And that's it for this week's version of the TWT Ex-Pat story. :mrgreen:

Well done lad, the best I can manage is the commute to and from work, about 1/2 hr each way.
I use a water jacket
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TEI_6529-S_G
for the 4pm trip home and it starts off very damp then is just about dry by the time I get the 15 miles home.
It does help with the heat and I guess you could always stop and wet yourself down on longer rides (sorry, sounds bad that)
Rich

I drove past the Tom Mix monument twice a couple of weeks ago (once on my way from PHX to San Manuel and again on the way back to PHX). I wondered a couple of things at the time. First, how many people really still know who Tom Mix was and second why would anyone build a monument to him in a place like that. Thanks to you, I have a very good answer to the second question.

It wasn't any cooler when I was there, but I was in an air conditioned rental car so it was easier to ignore the heat.

Well done lad, the best I can manage is the commute to and from work, about 1/2 hr each way.
The trip to Prescott a couple of weeks ago liked to have killed me. It was about 115 coming back down I-17 and I had to stop 3 times just to try and cool down.
I use a water jacket for the 4pm trip home and it starts off very damp then is just about dry by the time I get the 15 miles home. It does help with the heat and I guess you could always stop and wet yourself down on longer rides (sorry, sounds bad that)
Rich
Now that I'm back in a "dry" climate I really do need to get a couple of cool vests. They were pretty worthless in the high humidity of Houston. I had a terry cloth t-shirt when I was a kid in Tucson and I would soak that and then put a light jacket over it when I rode and I had to be careful to not get too cold when it was 100 degrees outside.

Are you on any AZ forums? I hang out with the www.southwestrides.com folks and had a good time riding with them up the Spars into Prescott.

Did you see my "wet weekend" report?

First, how many people really still know who Tom Mix was and second why would anyone build a monument to him in a place like that. Thanks to you, I have a very good answer to the second question.
The number of people who would recognize the name Tom Mix is certainly dwindling and then he will just be a footnote in the pages of time like WWI and eventually WWII.

The route past his marker is the road my mom and dad rode on his H-D before I was even born. My mom's first experience at operating the Harley was in fact on that road coming back to Tucson from Phoenix.
:sun:

Wow! Refreshing my memories of Tom Mix. But I though Gene Autry was the singing cowboy. Guess they had a lot of them back then. I like Lash LaRue and Roy Rogers and Whip Wilson also. Geesh! my Age is Showing huh?
Thanks for sharing and the refreshed memories.

It is amazing what a little elevation can do. I was at Hannigan Meadow on the 8th. It was 48 degrees and sleeting. The next day a group of us rode from Springerville to Clifton. We crossed over to 180 and rode it back up. Great day of riding.

It is amazing what a little elevation can do. I was at Hannigan Meadow on the 8th. It was 48 degrees and sleeting. The next day a group of us rode from Springerville to Clifton. We crossed over to 180 and rode it back up. Great day of riding.

I wish I had known that. Possibly could have met up.

Are you on any AZ forums? I hang out with the www.southwestrides.com folks and had a good time riding with them up the Spars into Prescott.

I rarely get out and about on weekends, mostly just commuting. The carpool lane is very handy. I did try a group ride once many years ago and i actually didn't like riding in the group. Nothing against the people, just not my cup'o'tea.

There are quite a few forums I visit, including car ones, but I try to limit my time on them. Perhaps that will change when I retire in 5 years.

Back