• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Hard, Take Unnecessary Chances, Safety Third - MexTrek 2009

Milton, I didn't know you were hurting, what's the story on that?
I rode my DRZ400-S from Austin to Galeana. I overnighted in Villa Santiago just south of Monterrey, in a fancy $100/night hotel. Before dawn I grabbed my camera and went out for some early morning pics. It was misting rain and as I walked across a tile patio I did a classic banana peel full body flip, legs parallel to the ground, and as I descended I did a camera-save-roll extending the camera in left hand up towards the dark sky. I took the full force of the tile right behind my left arm pit, knocking the wind out of both ends of me. About 24 hrs later the pain began big time. Dr Gibbons suggested a compression wound of the latissimus dorsi, the pain was pretty debilitating. I found Darvon pretty much made it go away, but I only had a limited supply. On Wednesday morning’s ride, Stingray Scott had to physically lift me into the saddle like a doll.

Embarassingly my injury occured outside my hotel room.
Silly taking about such trifles when we have Don Gil so busted up.

The End

The final day of exploration was done. The only thing left was a pleasant evening in Galeana and the slab home on Saturday. I got a few shots of the final evening and the Saturday morning packing.

Nora is the owner of Hotel Magdalena
685269246_JzZLe-L.jpg

$180 pesos per night = $13.84 at current exchange rates
685255523_6QQqG-L.jpg

I left a MexTrek memento at the hotel front lobby
685271646_HCPm4-L.jpg

An injured Don Gill...
685266588_kyg58-L.jpg

and his injured KLR
685231010_oT8zm-L.jpg

685229136_RVemg-L.jpg

Final shots before leaving
685241590_kKmn6-L.jpg

685247313_pxf9M-L.jpg

685237214_eibFU-L.jpg

685249632_YsKLC-L.jpg

685239336_yB2Uz-L.jpg

After breakfast...
685251544_P9Lky-L.jpg

we hopped on the bikes and rolled east.

I really had a great time at this year's MexTrek and am looking forward to the next one.

I really had a great time at this year's MexTrek and am looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for your efforts Richard!:clap: What a paradise! See Ya on the next one for sure!:thumb:

<snippity>... It was misting rain and as I walked across a tile patio I did a classic banana peel full body flip, legs parallel to the ground, and as I descended I did a camera-save-roll extending the camera in left hand up towards the dark sky. ... <snip>

Oh man... I wouldn't call that a trifle. Falls like that can mess you up... and right before a big ride! :doh:

Oh man... I wouldn't call that a trifle. Falls like that can mess you up... and right before a big ride! :doh:

Yeah but once he was sitting on the bike with his feet on the pegs you would have never known otherwise as he was tearing in the trails! It was just the mount & dismount that was a little tricky.

Where's that post?

Hey, I know I saw pics of a lunch in San Antonio de Alazanas and Montrerreal, and the accompaningy ride to the goat trail, where was that, Nucio? And Mesa de Tablas??
Can someone point me to that posting, I can't find it. Maybe write it up here?

Re: Where's that post?

Hey, I know I saw pics of a lunch in San Antonio de Alazanas and Montrerreal, and the accompaningy ride to the goat trail, where was that, Nucio? And Mesa de Tablas??
Can someone point me to that posting, I can't find it. Maybe write it up here?

Roberto had heard of this goat trail from some of his riding buddies in Monterrey. We had to ask this guy for directions:

Directions_to_goat_trail.jpg

After finding the ranch house we talked to the owners who graciously granted us access to the trail and said that other motorcyclist had ridden it before. He said it took 3hrs to pass by donkey so we thought it would be an easy hour for us.......

Rancher.jpg

Here's a pict of the start of the trail:
Start_of_goat_trail.jpg

And here's how it ended up for us just a few hundered feet down the path:
Goat_TRail_2.jpg

Goat_Trail_3.jpg

Took several people to turn the bikes around on such a narrow path:
Turning_Bikes_Around.JPG

The trail rounded that mountain and had a steep drop that would have been fairly easy to ride down but not so easy to ride back up if we ran into further problems that required a turnaround. So considering the time of day and the other places we wanted to see we decided to save this one for another day. It's obviously ridable since we know others have done it, just need to plan it out better.

The path started in La Placeta and I believe was supposed to come out around Laguna De Sanchez but Roberto can verify this. Here's the track from my GPS for that day with some waypoints created for markers.

Attachments

• Track 10 16 09.gdb
    10.8 KB · Views: 276
VStrom Jeff from Austin, I know he didn't have GPS or Mexican Cell phone, but he did have SPOT, still like to know that he's ok.

JeffLarge.jpg

My homemade stainless steel skid plate after the unknown, it was straight before:

SkidPlatWinCE.jpg

...and as I walked across a tile patio I did a classic banana peel full body flip, legs parallel to the ground, and as I descended I did a camera-save-roll extending the camera in left hand up towards the dark sky.

I was taken down by the Class 4 stairs at Hotel Jardín.

Got this over at Motohouston, the local sportbike and squid 10,000 member hangout, where I thought there were no other ADV riders. From "KayakKawiKid"

thanks for the pix and ideas, i want to try those water crossings southeast of galeana, been all over north to rayones, cienega del toro, los mimbres, dddd, up cerro potosi, south to zaragoza falls, pozo de gavilan, puente de dios, and much more and it still seems that I'll never finish riding every possible road or trail. as you were all riding near galeana, me and 6 other adv riders were exploring southwest of allende thru rain, mud, and some of the worst roads, we did 14 miles in 4.5 hours on friday, had 30+ falls to portero redondo, sat-one rider left his bike and rode the bus home, everyone else managed to get out of the mountains to villa de santiago, sunday we went home, so our group and mektrek riders did not see each other at all but as advbrothers we were experiencing the same fun.

Hey Scott, what happened to you? You disappeared Friday?

Thursday night I felt like dried up donkey poo, with a clogged up throat and developing a cough... Slept late, then we were heading up to Mesa del Oso and I couldn't take it any more... turned off north of Mimbres and did my "nothing special" route back to Galeana. On the way back, my ears wouldnt equalize and I was ****** up. I laid the bike down going around a left turn because I could not keep my balance when going around turns. I almost dropped the bike two other times too. Went to bed with my ears still unequalized and slept from 11:00AM Friday till 4:00 AM Saturday morning. No food either. I asked if I could get a ride back in a truck and bike on trailer, but Don had his spill. **** it, I wasn't that bad off! Left out in the rain Saturday morning before day light (see picture in second post of this thread). On the way down to Linares, my ears would not equalize again. I tried and tried, but couldnt blow them loose. Finally right there at the little road side shrine with all the candles on the hwy to Linares, my ear equalized. Sounded like a long drawn out fart right in my eardrum! breaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
It sucked.

I was sick for a couple days, but I ate a lot, and went shopping and got lots of Vitamin C. And I ate like 3 grape fruits on the way from McAllen to Houston.
I'm alive now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this over at Motohouston, the local sportbike and squid 10,000 member hangout, where I thought there were no other ADV riders. From "KayakKawiKid"

as you were all riding near galeana, me and 6 other adv riders were exploring southwest of allende thru rain, mud, and some of the worst roads, we did 14 miles in 4.5 hours on friday, had 30+ falls to portero redondo, sat-one rider left his bike and rode the bus home, everyone else managed to get out of the mountains to villa de santiago, sunday we went home, so our group and mektrek riders did not see each other at all but as advbrothers we were experiencing the same fun.
:clap: Ahh, the 'ole Portrero Redondo route in the rain.:giveup:

IMG_1706.JPG

Kid (and family) in Mimbres that I brought the soccer ball to. The grandmother is the older lady, not sure who the younger ladies are.

John bought some drinks from the store next door, and the grandmother gave us like a dozen apples. Wouldnt let us pay for them, no way, no how.

You know... reading these threads and others, having a Mexican friend or two and talking to Mexicans on the job.... it might just be my idealistic, naive, sappy view of the world... but I kind of feel like contemporary Mexicans are like Americans from 100 - 150 years ago. And not in a bad way. They seem family oriented, resourceful, hard working, and friendly. At least I'd like to _think_ Americans were that way once... ;-)

You know... reading these threads and others, having a Mexican friend or two and talking to Mexicans on the job.... it might just be my idealistic, naive, sappy view of the world... but I kind of feel like contemporary Mexicans are like Americans from 100 - 150 years ago. And not in a bad way. They seem family oriented, resourceful, hard working, and friendly. At least I'd like to _think_ Americans were that way once... ;-)

Yeh, but the Mexican-Americans (that I work with) are all a bunch of punk ********.

The born-n-raised in Mexico Mexicans (that I work with)are all super nice, hard working and somewhat resourceful.

Definitely a different culture (in Mexico) that is refreshing to witness!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back