• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mountains of Adventure in Mexico

Reaction score
First Name
David
Mountains of Adventure in Mexico

tn_Monterrey1209149.jpg

December 10th was the day we picked to head South toward Monterrey for another ride in the Sierra Madre Oriental mountains with our S. Texas friend Alejos. 1st timers on this trip were Bob from Colorado and Fast Roy from Tulsa. Also joining us for the weekend were South Texans Aaron, Javier and his brother Tony.

tn_BobsPictures091214028.jpg

When Colorado Bob left Salida on Wednesday it was 3 degrees.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214007.jpg

When we left Oklahoma on Thursday it was 14 but no precip.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214026.jpg

700 miles and 11 hours later we were at the Quetex ranch, near Edinburg, Texas, enjoying some of his award winning cooking. Arnie didn’t make this ride because his passport had not arrived yet.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214048.jpg

The next morning we had another great meal at the Quetex ranch then crossed the border at Reynosa and got our visa’s and bike permits. Apparently KTM is not on their drop down menu yet because they kept asking if it’s a Kawasaki.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214087.jpg

Cola de Caballo, Horsetail Falls

tn_FastRoysPictures091214094.jpg

tn_Monterrey1209205.jpg

On the way to Cienega de Gonzales we always stop at the restaurant El Mirador owned by Alejos’ pal, Beto. He’s not a Quetex caliber cook, but with cold cervesas, gorgeous view, no one is complaining.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214098.jpg

Aaron pitches in with some appetizers.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214099.jpg

Beto with some of his specialties.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214096.jpg

Roger, Tony and his brother Javier. Shortly after we started to chow Tony expertly performed the Heimlich maneuver on Javier after he choked on a piece of fajita. This was followed by much deserved hero fanfare for Tony. His chest thumping, karate kicking embellishments added to all the fun of a near death experience.

tn_Monterrey1209054.jpg

Cabin at Cienega de Gonzales. http://www.antiguoaserradero.com/

tn_Monterrey1209030.jpg

Saturday morning. Check your tire pressure, fuel. Lets ride.

tn_Monterrey1209033.jpg

Huasteca Falls was dry this trip just like the last. The area below the falls washed out by hurricane floods in 05 is now the easiest part.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214132.jpg

We stayed in Huasteca Canyon until we turned toward El Pajonal.

tn_Monterrey1209035.jpg

tn_Monterrey1209037.jpg

The only trail riders we saw during 3 days of riding were in Huasteca Canyon heading the other direction.

tn_Monterrey1209042.jpg

tn_Monterrey1209044.jpg

Just South of El Pajonal

tn_FastRoysPictures091214148.jpg

After El Pajonal we decided to try the Canoas valley. New to me.

tn_Monterrey1209045.jpg

Rogers spirited riding resulted in this little slideout. Motor didn’t quit so we didn’t put it on his prang record.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214153.jpg

Eventually we came out into this desert valley. Dirt turned to pavement further down near Saltillo. Our route to the valleys further south took us on a divided highway with a lot of truck traffic. No recession here it would seem.

tn_RogersPictures091214690.jpg

Alejos picked a good place to have a flat. This one along the interstate has food and drinks just across the fence.

tn_Monterrey1209049.jpg

Not far down the road is a tollbooth with some serious enforcers working there. No slipping past these guys without paying. Tagged bikes same price as MXers.

tn_RogersPictures091214691.jpg

Checked our route with these helpful officers.

tn_RogersPictures091214693.jpg

We enjoyed the flashing lights as they led us to the proper turn off. Worth the toll for sure.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214174.jpg

Stopped by Antonio and Toya’s place. Alejos met them years ago while looking for trails in the area. I was introduced on my first trip in 06 and am continually amazed by them. You look around and they would seem to have a hard life but they appear to be very happy and content. They are warm, hospitable and welcome their visitors in a way that puts you immediately at ease. I’ve tried to imagine myself living in a remote area like this but I can never get past living without electricity.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214173.jpg

We enjoyed a cup of coffee while visiting and Antonio invited us to come back the next morning for breakfast.

tn_Monterrey1209132.jpg

Back in Cienega de Gonzales this knowledgeable gentleman selling honey, spirits, fruit and corn gives Alejos an update on area trails.

tn_Monterrey1209135.jpg

We scouted out some of them by our cabin.
Saturday’s ride 130 miles.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214177.jpg

tn_Monterrey1209075.jpg

Antonio’s house Sunday morning. One of his relatives, living with him now, is putting corn in some bins. Even without electricity I think they are well off. When you consider they have plenty of what they need to live and prosper in their environment. We learned this year that the local residents banded together and bought a community backhoe. This is used to keep the road open and everyone has an allotted use time for their projects also.

tn_Monterrey1209077.jpg

Lesson in native plants

tn_Monterrey1209078.jpg

Toya prepared a great meal for us. Antonio delivered his usual lengthy prayer of gratitude and thanks for his many blessings. We presented some gifts, thanked him for inviting us into his home again.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214211.jpg

Just down the trail I dinged a rock and had a flat. Not happy with my tube changing speed I immediately dinged another for more practice.

tn_Monterrey1209085-1.jpg

La Ventana, The Window. Side trip up and back.

tn_Monterrey1209092.jpg

Back at the bottom an inquisitive horse races up to check us out.

tn_Monterrey1209102.jpg

Gas for the small tank guys at Los Cedritos.

tn_Monterrey1209107.jpg

Down the trail in an area with a lot of orchards Roger gleaned several apples from a nearby tree. Some were bird pecked but still crisp and sweet.

tn_Monterrey1209110.jpg

Los Lirios Canyon

tn_Monterrey1209126.jpg

Apple thief, alias, Roger Padactor.

tn_Monterrey1209144.jpg

Alejos exploring by the cabin.
98 miles today.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214116.jpg

Could this be Tony’s endorsement of Fast Roy’s wide ranging nonstop BS? Nah. No one would do that. Spontaneous pic gesture I think.

tn_Monterrey1209153.jpg

Road ride up to the National Park entrance.

tn_Monterrey1209162.jpg

This is one of views on the way to Potrero Redondo.

tn_Monterrey1209169.jpg

tn_FastRoysPictures091214247.jpg

Potrero Redondo is off the beaten path but if you talk to the right person you can find a refrigerator with cold drinks.

tn_BobsPictures091214023.jpg

Interesting spikey fruit hanging in the cold drink courtyard.

tn_Monterrey1209199.jpg

Allende and civilization is in sight.

tn_FastRoysPictures091214269.jpg

OXXO fuel attendants much preferred over Pemex.

tn_Monterrey1209222.jpg

Another stop at Beto’s for food and then more exploring the mountains near the cabin end Monday’s 86 mile ride.

tn_Monterrey1209235.jpg

Back at Rancho de Quetex near the end of our last Mexico trip for 2009. If anyone is interested in taking a similar trip I recommend you visit www.texasadventure.net and get a MexTrek ride guide. It contains more than enough information to plan a trip to explore this amazing area.

Antonio’s on google.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...9307&ll=25.39733,-100.39307&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Fab-u-lous!

An excellent read and great photos of one of my favorite places on the planet :clap:

Certainly a minimum two-cup of java :coffee: nice report for a cold morning - well done :sun:

Excellent report, short and well illustrated.
THANKS!

Get pics and great time for all, you should have titled your post as, "Orange goes to Mexico".

John

How was the weather down there? I'm planning on going MLK weekend and I'm worried that it's going to be cold...

Dang...I recognized Quetex right off standing in front of his grill...ridden with him once before, **** of a rider. Having read Myosin's report a few years ago I readily recognized Antonio as soon as I saw the pictures.

Riding down there with you guys is definitely on my to do list one day.

Nice report and pics, thanks for sharing it! All the RR's I read on Mexico this time of year are giving me a real hankering to make it down some time soon!
Thanks!

Very nice! That cabin looks like a great place to stay. How much did it cost to rent and how many does it sleep? I checked out the web-page but couldn't translate it.....

Very nice! That cabin looks like a great place to stay. How much did it cost to rent and how many does it sleep? I checked out the web-page but couldn't translate it.....

That is a really nice cabin with amenities that compare with anything in the US. They even had smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher which many times is overlooked in Mexico. It would sleep a big crew of people for sure. There is a master bedroom, 2 bedrooms upstairs, 2 sofas downstairs another big sofa upstairs. A loft above the upstairs had 3 or 4 twin mattresses. Also 3 bathrooms, fully equiped kitchen. Caretaker would start the fireplace fire or the grill fire. Whatever you needed just call and he would go get it and bring it up or he would take you to town.
I can't say what it cost exactly. When it came time to pay everyone threw down way more than the exact amount owed so the caretaker came with a huge tip. Whatever the amount was it seemed like a good deal.
I have to mention that sometime after my first visit in 06 the owner posted a no quads, motorcycle sign. This was after groups of tards caused the usual tard problems. We were made aware of this and decided to not start our bikes till we coasted down to the road and only ride the bikes past the other cabins after our ride was done. I'm sure any moto group could stay here if they do the same.

If anyone can answer this i will be amazed since this thread has been dormant since 2009 but here goes:

Is this ride up and back to LA Ventana talking about going up to the following???

If so, where's the road start up please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-004450_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-004450_Samsung Internet.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF0980-X2.jpg
    DSCF0980-X2.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20170527_162826.jpg
    20170527_162826.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 178
Back