• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Day trip to Hill Country

Reaction score
Oh, well, as usual, my time management was a bit off. I wanted to hit a few spots in hill country, then browse around the Heritage Classic in Luckenbach, but ran late, due an altogether too comfortable bed on Saturday morning.

I popped down to Tarpley, via 165 to Blanco (I love the way the hill country opens up at this point, not to mention the couple of nice sweepers nearer to Blanco ;-) )
41085258-M.jpg

to 473 to 3353 to 46 to Boerne.

Finally had a meal at the vaunted Mac & Ernie's
41085270-M.jpg

Took 470 back to 16 to Medina to 337. I gotta say, I really think the Medina-to-Vanderpool leg of 337 is the most scenic, since you don't have to concentrate on the twisties and can actually look around and enjoy a really beautiful ride along some valley floors.

I visited the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, which was open and hoppin', even though the owners were off racing at Barber :dude: . Looks like this place is doing well.

The bikes are still gorgeous. :-)
41085284-M.jpg

Unfortunately, as usual, the One Thing I Forgot was to ensure that I had a fresh battery in the camera. :oops:

By the time I wound my way up 187 to the sinuous 39 to Kerrville, I was running a bit behind schedule. So, I made my first mosey down the popular 1341 out of Kerrville, caught 473 to 1376 up to Luckenbach, where I turned on to Old Luckenbach Rd., and caught 290 to 281 so I could enjoy 1431 for a nice little bit of "road dessert" to end the day.

A few more pics here

What a nice riding day it was... :-P

Last edited:
It was a beautiful day to ride yesterday. I rode with some friends to breakfast at the Sunset restraunt in Blanco and then on to Luckenbach where we checked out the old bikes and did a little traveling down memory lane. Didnt have much time to spare and headed back to Cedar Park from Luckenbach with a friend, cant remember the roads we took as he had the route in his head, but it was fast paced and we didnt see very much traffic at all, and since he had a really good radar detecter set up on his Beemer we could make some real time on 1431. I really love that road and feel lucky its right in my back yard. Yesterday was so nice it was hard to give it up and come home. You all have a great week.

I worked ALL weekend... Watched two of the most beautiful days of the years slip away... :tears:

What time were you there at the motorcycle museum?
Me and the wife were there about 2:30 and had a couple meat pies.
They were yummy.
I didn't see another Futura, but if you saw a dark blue one, that was us.

igo-wfo said:
They were yummy.

We didn't make the cycle museum but we were out there in force.
WE had about 20+ v-maxes and 4 busas along with a couple other bikes.
we seen a small zrex group but that was about it.
later
Michael

Saw a couple Max'es while we were getting ready to leave Utopia after breakfast.

We also came across a group of ZRX riders on the upper end of 335, but unfortunately, one of them was going for a ride in the flashy lights truck.

I think I read on a ZRX board that the rider had several broken bones but could walk, and might need some surgery to get healed up. (ribs, clavicle and maybe C-7 fracture I think, a couple posts said he was very lucky..)

From what I could tell, they must have been heading north on 335 just south of 41 and overcooked the corner and got pitched off after running wide and hitting the mini boulders all along the side of the road.

Coming south didn't look really feasable, because his bike was up against the fence on the northbound side, and the road curves kind of away the other direction.

I hope the guy's OK...

igo-wfo said:
They were yummy.

Sorry I missed you, I was at the LSMM about 12:30-1:00 or so.

Back