• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

. . . . out of Snowmageddon

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
This thing began a few months ago with a promise to to drive the moving van to where ever my girl and son-in-law to be chose to settle and then ride back. The northwest? Colorado? It turned out to be Lovettsville VA. No problem, as good a place as any, right? The wedding takes place the middle of January and the move 2 weeks later.

I planned a route to the east coast and down to the Chesapeake, through the Smokey Mountains, Blue Ridge Pkwy, The Dragon, etc. Fine so far, right?

A minor snag in the ride plan presented itself in December in the form of a knocking smoking motor. Ebay to the rescue: I clicked buy it now on a 2,000 mile 2006 Katana complete kit and popped it in the old Bandit the first week in January.

757197666_vHKug-L.jpg

January 27: I finish the side case install, pack my gear and head for College Station TX to load 'er on the truck.

779507562_jHJAg-L.jpg

779508010_HUUVU-L.jpg

January 28: An uneventful drive to Hattiesburg MI marks our first day out.

January 29: I get the first hint the return ride route might be changing when we run into ice just south of Chattanooga.

779508799_PSqpr-L.jpg

The kids secured one of the last rooms available and I staked out the Waffle House parking lot and enjoyed the spacious accommodations of the Penske motor hotel.

779517651_Z8fhZ-L.jpg

January 30: The weather reports start rolling in - snow plows are out in full force on I-81. Still we have no idea what's in store.

779518375_ibcSU-L.jpg

We make it to our destination, Lovettsville VA at 1:00 am. It's 14 degrees, 31 in the house and the furnace won't fire up.

January 31: Friends arrived to help unload the truck. Now the waiting begins.

779524015_KeZNm-L.jpg

February 1: More snow falls. There is no way to get the bike out the snow and ice covered 1/4 mile incline that is the only road from the house.

February 2: A break in the snowfall. I gear up and take a chance but it was not to be. Not today. Half way up the road I hit a patch of ice. The old Bandit slammed to the cold ground and I did a swan dive off the front. No harm done, other than another day of waiting.

780041809_zBMhK-L.jpg

Last edited:
February 3: The heat is fixed, interweb access installed. More snowfall. I start looking at options. Do I rent another truck and drive south? No, too expensive and nothing available with a ramp anyway. I clicked and called all over the area to find anyone who could fit son-in-law's Highlander with a hitch and then located the only bike trailer in captivity 50 miles away.

February 4: After countless attempts we successfully make it up the hill and out to the road. The kids haul me west to I-81 to turn me lose. Not a great plan but a plan. Now what? The bike won't start. Plugs are fouled and we burn more daylight to find replacements. I finally began my southwestward trek at 2:30 pm eastern time. More snow is on the way. Darkness falls around the 200 mile mark and I press on a little farther, until, even though the slab was dry, I began to see ice forming and falling off the vehicles ahead I decide to call it a day. I checked in at the nearest motel and parked in front of the room.

784990973_JNQsu-L.jpg

February 5:

784991598_HLAmp-L.jpg

February 6:

784993215_r7htb-L.jpg

784992354_Rj9rn-L.jpg

Last edited:
February 7: Super Bowl Sunday. The forecast is sunny and 33. Here's my chance. The man in the next room, a rider there on business, gave me a ride in his Sprinter van up and down the interstate to do some ice recon

784993995_utkoh-L-1.jpg

and then helped me get through the motel parking lot. Yes, you could skate on that parking lot.

784996977_fLfkR-L.jpg

Success! I'm on the road again.

785005371_Q9cwn-L.jpg

785009427_QVV87-L.jpg

The weather and the plows have taken their toll on the asphalt. I dodge the potholes. 18 wheelers are everywhere lobbing huge chunks of snow and ice off their roofs at me.

785004551_n9pjc-L.jpg

Every so many miles I was taunted again by another Blue Ridge Parkway sign. Not this trip. I could not risk getting off the slab. I made it back to Chattanooga.

February 8: Partly sunny and 27 degrees. Where I-59 crosses the northwest corner of Georgia I was treated to another snow flurry. I rode on southward to Slidell LA where Saints fans were still partying but I slept right through it as well as the rain storm. I had a room next door to a gang of roadside Super Bowl t-shirt peddlers too.

February 9: This morning was a little warmer and cloudy. The winds out of the north were as strong as any I've encountered on the bike. I experienced my longest sustained pucker moment ever as I crossed the mighty Mississippi in the wind, that is until I crossed the Lake Charles bridge. As the wind was whipping me around, on the bridge, in traffic, at highway speed, I noticed a line of fresh oil a foot wide in my lane and the cagers would not let me over. Out of desperation I waved my left arm motioning to the car beside me to back off and let me in. Not fun. And that never ending elevated causeway between Baton Rouge and Lafayette is miserable in a car and worse on a bike. I will avoid I-10 through Louisiana in the future. I fought the wind for 280 miles today but it sure is good to be home.

BUT WAIT! It ain't over yet. Here comes the weird part: I parked in front of the bakery and hobbled inside. A while later a man walked in with his hat and his insurance card in his hand. "Is that your motorcycle?" Sure enough, he had backed into poor Bandit and knocked 'er over. The damage is not too serious and the man gave me all his information and insists on making it right. I'll get her looked at one day this week.

I'M HOME! WHEW!

Whew indeed. I thought this post was going to be about all the snow today....but not so much. Great short story!

Man, I was puckered for you the whole time I read the story. :eek:

You left out the part when you finally got to the end of the bridge to now where.:eek2: Concrete bridge , high speed , water and a 50 foot drop, inattentive cagers. Yea baby, thats what I'm talkin' about! :giveup:

What an adventure Ken, glad you where able to get back to Texas. I guess you'll have to wait until the big thaw.

Katana motor in a Bandit? You must have some great cold weather gear! Thanks for sharing your trip.

Is that your Bandit in the shop over at lands Cycles? Ross said something about the owner driving in from MD and was mighty impressed with your ...... Fortitude?

Is that your Bandit in the shop over at lands Cycles? Ron said something about the owner driving in from MD and was mighty impressed with your ...... Fortitude?

Yep, that's the one. If a motorcycle I own ever needs a doctor, it will be Ross Land, guaranteed. (I-10 E @ Bayou Dr. Channelview TX)

The adjuster is supposed to look at it today and hopefully I can ride it while we're waiting for the new tupperware.

If a motorcycle I own ever needs a doctor, it will be Ross Land, guaranteed.

Ross knows his business that's for sure. He seems to get overlooked but there is no one better especially on older bikes. I don't know of another shop in town that I would take a vintage bike to.

Nice report with pics. Thanks for taking us along as we sat and sipped our hot coffee!:zen:

Back