• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blanco and Willow City; The Scenic Route With Mud

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Taylor
Wednesday, March 3, 2010. The weather reports all called for sunshine and temp getting up into the 60's on our next day off so the calls were made and we met up for a ride. The meet up was 0920 in NW Austin at a coffee shop on Parmer Ln. From there it was 620 south through the traffic Lakeway and on to Hamilton Pool Rd. With the sun at our back the scenery was Texas Hill Country beautiful.

01.jpg

02.jpg

At Cypress Mill is a T intersection we took the left turn this takes you winding through ranch after ranch on a nicely paved route, County Road 301, with speed limits at 35 mph. We rode past cows and even a Zebra. :clap: CR 301 puts you on HWY 281 just a couple miles north of Johnson where we caught RM 2766 back to the east and Pedernales State Park. Left on RM 3232 then a short stretch of 290 to the east gets us on RM 165 for the run south into Blanco.

03.jpg

04.jpg

I had planned on the route getting us into Blanco for lunch at Riley's at 1130. We pulled into our parking spot at 1125. I love it when a plan comes together. :trust: In the parking lot we met a guy who gave us his name as Just John. OK We talked motorcycles and firefighters for about 15 minutes. He had lots of stories about he Harley he had after getting home from his service in the Korean War. It was a WWII surplus model. He rode all over Texas back in the day on that old Harley. Said his right knee was bad from kick starting. Anyway, here we are in front of Riley's talking with John.

05.jpg

We opted for the Steakhouse this time. Ordered our drinks and grub. And in walks John. :eek2: OH NO a stalker! He sat down and tried to give us a $20 for listening to his stories. :doh: We told him to keep his money but he was welcome to join us if he wanted to. So we got more stories of motorcycle adventures from days gone by. And he asked lots of questions about Perry's KLR.

As the orders for the lunch crowd starting hitting the grill the inside of the restaurant started to get smoky from the inadequate vent hood over the gas fired grill. It really added to the ambiance of the place. Very rustic and countrified. The food was AWESOME. I order the cheeseburger with waffle fries. One of the best I've had in quite a while.

06.jpg

We finished up an John insisted on at least paying for our drinks. OK, twist our arms. Nice guy. He left with plans on getting a KLR and taking up riding again.

After lunch we took River Road, 1623 and 1888, west toward Luckenbach. We are always looking for roads we hadn't covered before and I had spotted on on Mapsource that looked interesting. So we gave it a shot. Jenschke Kunz Rd. It showed to run a few miles from Luckenbach Rd. to HWY 290. It started a nice paved road. We came to a Y with dirt to the left and paved to the right. The map showed the paved to the right ended in about 200 yds so we took the dirt to the left. We ride dirt roads from time to time on the big pigs so no worries, if the road gets bad we turn around, right? Right. :trust:
First a gate. We ride a lot of dirt roads off the beaten path so unlocked gates without trespassing signs are common. So, we go through.

07.jpg

08.jpg

No problem, for the first mile. Then the road started getting a little "damp". We road past the ranch house and made the last turn for the straight run to 290 of about a half mile. And then mud. Deep ruts which were dry at the bottom with muddy churned up slop on either side of the ruts. So, we got on. Slowly while trying to keep the hogs from getting into the slop. I was a little concerned about the bags catching the on the sides and sending me flopping. The outriggers where extended for a short bit of very slow maneuvering as the front wheel wanted to grab the side of the ruts. But, we made it through, past the tractor that the owner uses to pull stuck vehicles out of the mire. On 290 the sign said Barret Rd. We rinsed some of the mud off the boots in a puddle in the drainage ditch.

09.jpg

This is about the half way point so we filled with gas and started toward Willow City. I had another unknown road plotted but as we got to the turning point it didn't look promising so we did a detour. We had enough adventure for this trip. We took 1631 and 1323 to Willow City and stopped in at Harry's for a cool beverage.

10.jpg

Willow City Loop was nice as ever. Lots of deer grazing along the sides of the road but little traffic on this lovely weekday.

11.jpg

The time was about 1600 and we rode away from the sun toward home from Llano following 1431. Got back to the house about a half hour before sunset. A great day on the bikes. :rider:

map.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't ridden in the hill country in far too long. I hope I have time to do it soon after reading these nice adventures.

Looks like a fun way to spend the day......

I'm really digging the simple narration/picture style on your jaunts.

Nice report. :thumb:
Thanks for taking the time to share.
Glad to see some Harley riders that are willing to get some dust on their bikes. :lol2:

Back