• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

K-Trail ride March 6-7 2010

TypeSH

Reaction score
I'll start the thread since nobody else seems to want to. The weather was perfect and we were pulling out jacket liners within the first 5 miles on the trail. I was in the west to east group starting at the Country Store in Clayton and working east towards Mena.
The beginning part of the trail we took was actually the Clayton Trail and that merged into the K-Trail after 15 miles or so. The Clayton Trail was very rocky and hilly and some of our newer and big bike riders found out that it was a little more technical than they bargained for. I have to give them credit though as they stuck it out.
After on the K-Trail it got much easier and the pace quickened accordingly. We met up with the east to west group about 10 miles west of the Indian Highway. We had only traveled 30 miles to their 70.
My plans were to stay with some friends in their ranch house near Clayton that night so I decided to turn around and go back west with the other group. I quickly realized that the riding pace with this group was much faster. I was getting tired and it took everything I had to keep up. They decided to head into Talihina for gas at the Indian Highway so I only got about 10 miles of dirt riding in with them.
Once in Talihina we decided to eat a late lunch and then it was decided to head to Clayton by slab and head east on the trail as far as time allowed. I had a few bolts come loose, including a couple that hold on the exhaust and rear rack. Since I didn't think the bike could make another trip on trail I decided to cut off from the group and just go straight to my friends place in Clayton, which concludes my story. Hopefully some of you pick up it up where I left off.
Here are a few phone pictures
ktrail1.jpg

ktrail2.jpg

ktrail3.jpg

ktrail4.jpg

I Really enjoyed the ride, meet some great folks and rode some great trails

first off hats off to the guys on the BMW 800s

he,s up
P3060643.jpg

he,s down
P3060651.jpg

getting the beast through the puddles with streetish tires wasnt pretty
P3060656.jpg

P3060659.jpg

some pics from day 1
P3060662.jpg

P3060660.jpg

P3060653.jpg

P3060652.jpg

P3060646.jpg

P3060666.jpg

Day two

P3070667.jpg

P3070668.jpg

P3070672.jpg

Blue hole from the bottom
P3070673.jpg

from the top
P3070676.jpg

Lets do it again soon

First off , what kind of phone do you have, those photos look good!

Second, wish I could remember all the names of the people I met, good guys and I feel bad not remembering, so if you have a photo of yourself...post up and tell me who you are again and what you rode.

Third off, thanks to Joesph for putting this ride together and Multisurface Rider for leading our group, he was like a bubble bee buzzing around, never knew if anyone was behind him or not until he stopped :lol2:.

Our group was the faster group going from Mena to Clayton, I cut a tube on rocks and could tell the cluck every time I hit another rock. Finally I signaled Multisurface Rider (I like that name and jack with him all the time :-P) about my front tire is not right. Sure enough it was flat as flat gets, pulled the tube out and 2 cuts, we had patches but Orange Chicken (Blake) had a new HD Michelin Tube, we thought best was do the new tube. Endoman (John) put the bike on a large rock much like above and pulled the rim off the front of the bike. Felt good riding on air again!

We kept looking for the other group, looking for tracks and asking ATV riders if any bikers were seen, none, we wondered what happened. We finally ran into the other group and after a break talking everyone in the Mena group said :eat:! Pretty good grub was had at a convenience store up Indian Hwy.

One fellow rider Sunday, cannot remember your name and all of us are wondering what happened to you, rode a white Yamaha 250 brought a couple of Snicker bars, thanks a million as my stomach was dying of hunger. What happened to you? I had gas for both of us in case you needed some.

On to photos John (endoman) and Joe (Dirtryder) took,

There you are, the guy on the white Yamaha way in the back, identify yourself, TLRam1 (Terry) & David

4418552040_e499109be9_b.jpg

Blue Hole from below
BlueHole.jpg

Blue Hole from above, some speculated sulfur has caused the color to be blue.
BlueHole2.jpg

I am looking at Dirtryders (Joe) BMW he rode on the second day, 88 model 1000cc, fresh TKC80 tires, he rode this 500 lb bike like it was his KTM 525EXC over rocks and all! :clap:
BMW1000.jpg

This is one cool looking old bike with the knobby tires on it! Seemed to get lots of attention from most people.
BMWBlueHole.jpg

Here is knuckle head, he's never seen one of these gadgets before, trying to take a photo of himself so he can see how good he looks, cept he had the camera backwards. :lol2: aww what a nice reflection of me in the screen.

To you who have not had the pleasure to meet is the one and only with a mouth you will not miss if you are within 100 yards of I will introduce Mulitisurface Rider AKA Calvin! :clap: Our leader for this ride and did a fine job! It was my pleasure you finally got to ride with us. ;-) He's a great guy and a pleasure to know him, lets do it again Calvin!
CalvinMultisurfaceRider.jpg

Calvin (Multisurface Rider), Terry (TLRam1), Jay at the top of Blue Hole
CalvinTerryJay.jpg

Fire Tower
FireTower.jpg

Looking down from the Fire Tower
FireTowerA.jpg

FireTowerB.jpg

After my flat was fixed, Terry (TLRam1)
Flatfixed.jpg

Jay, Terry (TLRam1), Blake (Orange Chicken), Joe (Dirtryder), John (endoman), Yamaha 250 guy with snicker bars, Calvin (Multisurface) taking the photo.
Jay-Terry-Blake-Joe-John-250.jpg

Joe (Dirtryder), Scott (Stingray)
Joe-Stingray.jpg

John (endoman), Terry (TLRam1), Calvin (Multisurface), Joe (Dirtryder)
JohnTerryCalvinJoe.jpg

Joe (Dirtryder) commentary, he was the first one on the scene and the pilot didn't make it. ;-)
Plane.jpg

Some of the fun stuff on the trail
Rocks.jpg

Terry (TLRam1), Blake (Orange Chicken) on a Husaberg
Terry-Blake.jpg

Terry (TLRam1), Calvin (Multisurface), Joe (Dirtryder)
Terry-Calvin-Joe.jpg

Joe (Dirtryder), Blake (Orange Chicken), Terry (TLRam1) part of Sundays Wolf Pen Gap ride.
Terry-Joe-Blake-Jay.jpg

On top at Blue Hole
TopatBlueHole.jpg

Good pics. Did the BMW get to the top of blue hole?

Joe said he was not coming all the way and not go to the top, never missed a beat, stood up and rode it up like a dirt bike! :lol2:

Great ride. Looking forward to doing more once I get my DRZ plated.

The rider of the white Yamaha Sunday was Kevin (skanktroll).

Great ride. Looking forward to doing more once I get my DRZ plated.

Let me know if you need anything to get your DRZ inspected. I went through the process last year on my DRZ and I have some extra parts that you might want to borrow just in case the inspector looks.

Great pics Multisurface. Except I don't remember any dirt that smooth.

What tires is Blake running on that Husaberg? How did they run in all that mud on Saturday? I think he's a better man than I am.

Great report! It dang near killed me not to make this ride!:tears:

It was nice to meet all of y'all too bad I had to cut our ride short.

he's up! he's down!

I felt like a **** grasshopper! I no idea how rough the trail would be on that beast of a bike :lol2:

Here is a picture from the Telamena Skyway looking down into the Kiamachi valley and the K-trail. The bumpy mountain in the middle is where the trail is.

qH63bl.jpg

I only have a few pictures from the ride, I was always playing catch up, no time for pics :P

AVZZdl.jpg

My Fellow F800 rider making it up one of the tougher hills. I went on a path along the side and fared not much better either :doh:
36D4rl.jpg

Last picture is of Rydah kicking the **** out of his bike after he dropped it to pull the F800 off of me. Can't really see them but gives a good look at the the trail finally easing up.
ljkUTl.jpg

All that leaves is my foot has a small break. I went to an Urgent Care and they gave me a list of Orthopedic doctor. I was in Baton Rouge on Thursday morning and called one of them and told them I had a small fracture in my foot and was told to see an Orthopedic doctor. The lady said if I can make it by 4 I can be seen. I pack and hussle back to Houston walk in the door and the lady looks at my X-Rays and says, "Oh, oops! We only do hands and wrist. I must not have been paying attention!" I wanted to slap her!

X5jOql.jpg

Thanks for putting together a great ride, Joseph. Too bad we were not able to complete it, but from what I saw of the K-trail, I know I'll do it again one day. Lucky for me, I've already done the day 2 section, so I know how nice that part is. Sorry to hear about the fracture, Chuck; hat's off to you and Toltec for giving it the ol' college try though. Enjoyed meeting everyone, and look forward to seeing y'all again sometime.

Excellent. May be polling some of you guys for ideas in the near future. Can't believe there were F800GSs and R100RSs (I think?) on that ride! :nono: :clap:

Edit: got to love a series of riding pictures that ends with an X-ray as well... classic!

Last edited:
OK Gents -

I have an important question to ask, maybe THE most important question. I hear Mena is in a dry country. Where, pray tell, is the nearest beer?

Justin

Arkansas beer you mean.

Closest beer is just outside city limits of Hatfield, about 10 miles down 71. You'll have to ask a local at the gas station for exact directions, but it's a little podunk 'bar' where they actually have a decent selection of 6 packs they can sell.

I was wondering if someone could tell me where you pick up the K-Trail in Mena? Also where is Blue hole? I've ridden the K-Trail from Clayton to the Old Indian Highway... but never the section east of there. Any pointers would be appreciated.

BTW... TypeSH, there is a little liquor store just as you are heading out of Clayton heading north (north-east) on 271... don't remember the name of the place... but it's a little red building on the very edge of town where Sands Lake Rd intersects with 271. As far as I know, the only place in Clayton that has real beer.

Thanks.

Arkansas beer you mean.

Closest beer is just outside city limits of Hatfield, about 10 miles down 71. You'll have to ask a local at the gas station for exact directions, but it's a little podunk 'bar' where they actually have a decent selection of 6 packs they can sell.

:clap::rider:

Awesome ride and pics, I hope to make it up there from the Austin area soon! Thanks for posting up!

Back