• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pilgrimage to Pilgram Road ... and beyond?

Day 11 [May 17th] Green Mountains and End of the Road?:

day11.jpg

day11b.jpg

day11-01.jpg

At first when I started going down this street I was going “Okay Garmin, now your really going crazy with “Fastest” route. But I was happy, as the view was really nice..

day11-02.jpg

And then the Australian voice in my ear says “Navigate Off Road to destination.” Do what?!?!? So I stop and look at the maps and figure out apparently I entered the numbers wrong. Figures. But the side route was amazing, I had this real “bridges of Madison County” moment while Lost near boarder of Vermont.

day11-03.jpg

day11-04.jpg

day11-05.jpg

Eventually I found my way back to where I wanted to be, after nearly being killed by a car making a left hand turn from a side road that didn’t bother to wait for me to make my own left turn onto her side street. I swear some people just don’t see motorcycles. Which is odd, because there were a LOT of them out there, even while I was “lost”.

day11-06.jpg

At this point, I should mention this is Vermont...

day11-up.jpg

day11-07.jpg

day11-08.jpg

Gas Stop 1: N42.86561 W72.86408 2.916 gal ($9.04) 9503 (141 miles, 48.4 mpg)

day11-down.jpg

Again even the other pictures I took do not even do this area justice, especially considering the perfect weather. Lets say this is like FM 337, only the grades are between 7% and 10%, some lasting for 2-3 miles, more elevation changes, and well a little bit of annoying construction. But really I can’t complain, it was excellent. Actually it was too perfect, the 30-someodd miles of Vermont took almost 3 hours to enjoy; I think it would be worth coming back for more miles in this state if I ever get the chance.

day11-09.jpg

This just took me off guard. At first when I saw this I thought “a for-profit fire department”? That really struck me as weird, as I worked for years in a volunteer / not-for-profit department. But after looking more closely found out it was a EMS only thing, and they told me that it was a department that serves 14 counties. So it makes sense, to combine and share resources, etc.

day11-10.jpg

day11-11.jpg

I just liked the new bridge that replaces the old bridge right next to it entering into New Hampshire. Apparently a tourist spot too, as there were a number of information signs around it, and people on the old one.

On the way over to Maine I got stuck behind a pretty ratty car with the New Hampsire license plate “Sorberto” (I don’t know why it has an O on the end, but it did). I was stuck behind it for 10 or so minutes. Why do I mention this, because one or both of the occupants were seriously under the influence of a drug that shall remain nameless. Not only under the influence, but still doing it in the car, releasing that sweet (as in “taste” not as in good/nice/etc) smell that gives me a serious headache. I never could stand the stuff, but the fact I could smell it even 200-300 feet back so strong to give me a headache is unbelievable. I don’t care if you want to do it, but please don’t do it while on highways and freeways doing 70+ mph.

Gas Stop 2: N43.23302 W70.80848 2.562 gal ($8.07) 9639 (136 miles, 53.1 mpg)

Dover / South Berwick had INSANE traffic.

day11-12.jpg

And then, I ran out of road..

day11-13.jpg

Dart, I hate when huge bodies of water get in the way for forward progress. :P Guess it’s time to start coming back to the Lone Star State.

day11-14.jpg

Boston was rather interesting. It had two really neat bridges going into it, then there was a tunnel that went under the whole city. I actually liked this tunnel a lot; with the cars moving through it, it was like there was no windage at all, and it was very smooth and nice. I hadn’t been in a tunnel that long on motorcycle.

day11-15.jpg

Gas Stop 3: N41.44172 W71.79993 3.493 gal ($11.52) 9824 (188 miles, 53.8 mpg)

day11-16.jpg

And speaking of trailered bikes.. my beautiful (all be it covered in dust except were my legs and hands rub) that has gone almost 5000 miles in a little more than a week, infront of a sister Dyna that I bet doesn’t even have 5000 miles on the odometer. I couldn’t tell what year dyna it is (typical everything changed for super-high-performance parts, not that a 96 or even 88 cubic inch engine on a 600 lb bike needs any more performance). The bike sported North Carolina Plates, so even at the worst, thats 800 miles from home, or 3 leisurly days, or 1 hard out day and change. I shouldn't be so harsh, just whats the point of having such a nice bike if one isn't riding it? Sadly I know the answer to that question.

day11-17.jpg

Day 11 miles: 416.1 [Albany, NY – Groton, CT]
Total Miles: 4715
Distance made good to York Plant: -23.3 mi [262.1 to go]
Distance to GSNP: -21.3 mi [730.6 mi to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1525 miles (must average 117 mpd for 13 days)

Current Points:
22 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT
5 City: C, L, N, O, X
1 County: Y
12 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF

Day 12 [May 18th] What Else to say?:

What a way to wake up! ..

day12-01.jpg

From the response and the number of departments that showed up, it makes me want to sing a bit of Alice’s Restaurant.. “I want tell you about the town of
Stockbridge, Massachusets, where this happened here, they got three stop
signs, two police officers, and one police car, but when we got to the
Scene of the Crime there was five police officers and three police cars,
being the biggest crime of the last fifty years, and everybody wanted to
get in the newspaper story about it.”

Well I’m sure its normal mutual aid response. I sadly couldn’t see exactly the scene of the accident, but all the sirens woke me up. From what I saw in my room, and when I left the hotel an hour later, there was a collision between two rental trucks and a car. There could have been a pedestrian. All told there were 3 ambulances, 4 or 5 engines, and a beautiful tower truck that showed up (in addition to countless police and EMS supers). Like I said an hour later they still had the whole block in both directions closed.

day12.jpg

day12b.jpg

It had already started to drizzle a bit when I was packing up the bike. Somehow the bag didn’t fit as well this time as the other days on the bike. Always seems to pack slightly differently. It really wasn’t too bad weather wise to begin with, but it had obviously rained pretty hard before I got to some parts of the road. There was one section where the road quality was horrible (it had non-textured alsphalt sections that had almost no traction when wet, followed by very grooved concrete that moves the bike all around), and with the standing water it was hard to see all the hazards. Needless to say, slow going for interstate travel.

Gas Stop 1: N41.14755 W73.25703 1.767 gal ($6.01) 9914 (90 miles, 50.9 mpg)

day12-02.jpg

And naturally the “future cast” I watched in the morning was completely wrong. Supposed to drizzle off and on. Well that wasn’t the case. Shortly after getting into NJ (maybe 5 miles?) it started to really come down. 48F-50F and rain so I had that lovely face shield fogging again. My boots were soaked halfway through NJ.

There is a part of the New Jersey Turnpike that is inline with the runways. It was really neat to watch some cross-wind landings (I think there were 3 landing plans within the time I was going by). There was a pretty good cross-wind coming from the East; seeing 737s coming straight down the highway with their nose pointed off 30 degrees or so is just so odd, even though I am fully aware of the technique.

Of course hopefully by now you all know New Jersey is one of the two states were its illegal for you to pump your own gas. I knew this before coming to the state (why I gassed up before making the cross). Well with the horrible rain I wanted to pull under a covered area to check the radar, and put on another layer etc. The only place to do that is a gas station or under a bridge. Well under a bridge doesn’t work because, well, there are signs says you can’t stop there (and not to mention with the number of trucks, I’d get more wet there than its worth). So I pull up to the station in the service area, and the attendant guy yells at me that “that pump isn’t open”. It had a cone in front of it, I guess that means it’s “closed” even though it was a standard pump with all the usual fitments one would expect for pay-at-the-pump. So I said “I don’t want gas, I just want to look at my maps and change my jackets.” To which “you can’t get off your bike here, and that pump is closed, so you have to go. The food court is over there, go use that.” I guess he wouldn’t understand that I was about to open a bag that I didn’t want to get wet, and if I had to take it inside, it would take more time out of my trip. I just couldn’t believe the guy was so ugly about it, considering the conditions outside. So I just left, looked at my distance to empty, and knew I’d make a sane state.

But oddly, maybe 5 miles from the bridge out of NJ, it stopped and cleared up (mostly). I guess the kami were trying to tell me something about New Jersey? Something I haven’t already heard?

day12-03.jpg

Gas Stop 2: N39.69858 W75.55304 3.668 gal ($11.37) 10106 (192 miles, 52.3 mpg)

Once I got off the Interstate and hit the surface roads, my first reaction was I was in Dallas on Steroids (as far as drivers). I literally had a guy maybe 5 feet from the back of my bike several times. Then it was funny, I wish I had a waterproof camera to take picture on the go, but there were signs (lots of them) saying things like “Don’t Tailgate” “Be aware of aggressive drivers”. But my favorite, there were sections of the road that had white dots drawn on the road and a sign “keep 2 dots between you and the car ahead”. The dots were perfectly on the 2-second rule for the proper speed limit. It was great, and a great validation of how I drive (just wish the car behind me had the same attitude). Maybe we can get some of those done in Texas? Think that would freak people out to see how far they really are supposed to be behind the car in front of them? I bet people would be surprised.

More sub 40 mph roads from the Delaware border to York. Passed the York Plant on my way to my stop for the night to dry off.

Okay, now for some notes from my iphone (since I cant seem to remember everything when I sit down to write these)..

In New York is the only place I have ever seen turnpike doubles. That’s a tractor with a 48-foot semitrailer with a 48-foot trailer behind that. Way too long of a vehicle is all I can say. Usually in my transportation work (it’s part of what I do) we have started to deal with 53-foot semitrailers as our product and materials are being shipped out of our facility, and that is long enough to deal with on our property. I can’t imagine a trucking unit over 100 feet in length trying to navigate anywhere. Needless to say, pretty weird.

I have to ask why the Northeast states do not comply with DOT’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and AASHTO? I get on a road and see “exit 24” I expect it to be in Mile 24 of the road measured either from the southern most point of the road or the western most point. I noticed Pennsylvania must have switched to AASHTO a few years back, as all the exits have “OLD” exit numbers. However at least New York, New Hampshire, and I think Boston still used the actual number of exits exit numbers. (That is, it’s the 5th exit from the start of the road, where-ever that may be). Actually after doing a bit of research, looks like it is because these where toll-roads or already in construction when the Eisenhower Interstate system was founded. Still, get with the program.

Another thing I have noted in my phone is “New Hampshire Liquor Store”. For a state who’s signage motto is “Live Free or Die” it seems quite odd to me that you must buy your liquor from a government sanctioned store (and that those stores are actually signed on things like the interstate to make you aware of their location). Just seems odd.

Sign changes have been interesting too. Like how in Texas we have “ICE” signs that fold up and typically say “Drive Friendly” or whatever on the other side. Up here they have slowly evolved to “bridge may ice in cold weather” to “bridge freezes before road” to “low salt usage area, use caution on bridge”. Another one is I believe it was Mass that all over the entrance ramps onto the freeway had “NO TURNS” and “ONE WAY” signs. I mean seriously, where else would you go? Pennsylvania has Green Detours and Red Detours and Blue Detours. What they are for, I have no idea (maybe to go around frozen bridges?) but they are everywhere.

Day 12 miles: 341.5 [Groton, CT – York, PA]
Total Miles: 5057
Distance made good to York Plant: 259.5 mi [2.6 mi to go*]
Distance to GSNP: 258.2 mi [472.4 mi to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1261 miles (must average 105 mpd for 12 days)

Current Points:
24 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE
5 City: C, L, N, O, X
2 Counties: R, Y
12 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF

Wow only 8 points shy of what I did last year.

This is terrific! Sounds like you are having a great trip (minus the lack of water-proof-ness). If I would have caught this thread sooner I would have mentioned that a ride up to Copper Harbor, MI (in the UP) and across the northern side of the UP is definitely worth it. The roads up there are not especially smooth, but the views along the lake superior shoreline are terrific. I used to live up in the midwest and have put many miles on through the U.P. And despite how freaking cold it got up there when the sun started to go down (even in July), it was still some great riding.

It looks (and sounds) like you're taking in quite a number of great views anyway. :thumb:

Anyways, I'm glad you are taking the time to keep us posted, this is truly a great way to track a trip and remember it.

Hope the rest of your trip goes very well, and I'll definitely stay tuned.

:rider::rider:

Day 13 [May 19th] Two Extremes:

While it didn’t approach the longest ride, it probably was the longest day, 7 am to midnight.

day13.jpg

day13b.jpg

Morning started off early at the York Harley Manufacturing Facility.

day13-01.jpg

The video is exactly same as the Kansas City video, except the excerpts. The plant seems more like what I expected, but it is, what, 40 years old as far as Harley is concerned. Sadly they had some school tour (that was going to some historical things too) so it was, how to say it, dumb-ed down a bit. And they only tour the “touring” building (not the “soft-tail building” or what used to the “CVO building” which is not in use at the moment? I wonder). Generally the tour is the same as Kansas City, only with older technologies (ie sheer press is more typical). Again I would be far more interested in what is going on at each station, but that is just me. I wasn’t all that surprised to see vastly different marking from Pilgrim and Kansas City. It’s a toss up, but I think over-all I liked the Pilgrim tour the most of the three tours I took. Tomahawk does tours only 1 day a week, so didn’t see that one.

I spent way-to-much-time driving around York looking for a usable “City limit” (or I guess “Townage Limit?”), but there was nothing I could find. Also no post office and no fire/police I could find (well there was fire, but it was county based). So wound up taking a picture of the dealership for the Y-city.

day13-02.jpg

Gas Stop 1: N39.97173 W76.75220 2.007 gal ($6.14) 10207 (101 miles, 50.3 mpg)

And then it was triple-state bingo time..

day13-03.jpg

day13-04.jpg

day13-05.jpg

I have to be honest, as I was crusing down to Shenandoah, part of me wanted to just get the picture and then take off for Norfolk to try to make up some time and distance. But as the trees broke (or I came around a bend or something, I actually can’t remember, I just remember all of a sudden seeing the mountains) sudden I thought “I’m going there” and so there was no turning back at that point.

Gas Stop 2: N39.18478 W78.14029 2.694 gal ($8.08) 10344 (137 miles, 50.9 mpg)

day13-06.jpg

I had hoped to get away from “Your Tax Stimulus Dollars At Work” signs and construction, but it was even more prevalent in the park than anywhere else. (I really have to wonder if I would have seen quite so much construction in general on this trip if they hadn’t given out so much money for these types of projects). That aside, the road quality is good, and the views are wonderful. I had planned to spend just a few hours in the park, but wound up spending almost 8 hours on the 100 mile drive. I took a LOT of pictures, and will upload them to my album later and post a link a when I can.

Needless to say, I stopped at every overlook, and had dinner at Skyland. VERY good dinner (although because of the clouds at 2500 ft or whatever, the view wasn’t all that great when I ate, but I can imagine what I would have been like). I think the highest point signed on the trail was 3660, and I know skyland was higher than that, so I guess the 3700-something reported height is about right. I did ride most of the road with my GPS showing the elevation on the main navigation page, just for fun. It was amazingly pretty close to correct most of the time.

edit
http://whuckaba.com/photo/index.php?folder=/SDNP/

Gas Stop 3: N38.06632 W78.87741 2.702 gal ($7.75) 10477 (133 miles, 49.2 mpg)

So it was very late (after dark) when I left the
Then of course fate took its course. Apparently there is some nascar race here in virgina this weekend? Anyhow, it meant I had to travel quite a way to find a hotel, and I seem to have found the only hard rain in the state. Really weird driving down I-64 at night in the rain. Can’t see ANYTHING. (Trees on both sides, even in the median area, no moon, etc). But anyhow, wound up in Richmond, VA.

Day 13 miles: 385.3 [York, PA – Richmond, VA]
Total Miles: 5442
Distance to made good to GSNP: 46.3 mi [426.0 mi to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1326 miles (must average 121 mpd for 11 days)

Current Points:
27 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA
6 City: C, L, N, O, X , Y
14 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF, HD-York, SD-NP

Day 14 [May 20th] “Like the Wright Brothers Before Them”:

“..the harley business took off” (god, have I watched the Harley introduction video a few too many time sin the last two weeks? ... paraphrased... I guess its because of the capitol drive propeller shop history. ).

edit: I should also mention I paid for putting the bike on the jiffy stand so many times the night before; well to be more accurace to take the motorcycle off the jiffy stand. My left leg was quite stiff and sore. Took awhile to get it back moving how it should. I guess I don't think about how much weight even that partial lift is (and I guess the uneven ground didnt help at times).

day14.jpg

day14b.jpg

Not much to really say about the trip to the Newport News area, other than it’s interesting to go by signs and it takes moment to click if its Civil War or Independence wars.

Gas Stop 1: N37.09422 W76.45867 3.107 gal ($9.53) 10643 (166 miles, 53.4 mpg)

Got to go through the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (I-664). One of the newer bridge-tunnels in the area (tunnels seem to be the big thing here, I’m not sure why, where as bridges are the big thing in Texas, I guess it really comes down to the fact that our soils are not as conducive to tunnels).

I did go into NC, but I’m too tired to pull out the camera for that one picture.

edit:
day14-01.jpg

Of course the goal was Kitty Hawk for the memorial of flight. Good area in general down there. I almost wanted to go to the national sea shore south of there, but had other things in mind.

edit:
day14-02.jpg

Gas Stop 2: N36.22346 W75.87118 2.735 gal ($7.93) 10786 (143 miles, 52.3 mpg)

Spent most of the rest of the day visiting a friend that lives in Elizabeth City, NC.

Gas Stop 3: N36.88478 W76.18224 2.776 gal ($8.60) 10946 (160 miles, 57.6 mpg)

And the hotel room is less than a mile from the last fill-up, odometer is approximately that for the finish for the day.

Goal for day 15 is arrival at Great Smoky.

Day 14 miles: 381.3 [Richmond, VA – Virginia Beach, VA]
Total Miles: 5823
Distance to made good to GSNP: 17.0 mi [409.0 mi to go] (I’m surprised it’s actually good)
Shortest Distance Home: 1260 miles (must average 126 mpd for 10 days)

Current Points:
28 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC
7 City: C, K, L, N, O, X , Y
14 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF, HD-York, SD-NP

Day 15 [May 21st] From Sea to Sky:

day15.jpg

day15b.jpg

Trip from the Sea to the Appalachian Mountains was a lot like the trip from the Appalachian Mountains to the sea. Generally speaking Virginia and North Carolina’s interstates are dominated by tall trees on both sides that generally make it impossible to see the city-life (if any) behind them. While it does make it a pretty ride, there is some boredom factor with nothing interesting to look at other than signs for things that might be behind some trees somewhere. Although everywhere I looked, police departments were getting their stimulus checks in the form of speeders, and I mean there were cops in just about every jurisdiction all over the roads.

Southhampton Parkway was pretty nice, despite the speed limit. I somehow managed to get in two different groups of 3 bikes along the way. It is kind of strange to ride in formation after so many miles of solo travel. The parkway itself is obviously a speed trap. 55 mph on divided highway of two lanes in each direction, well maintained with generally limited access, except when it runs through towns. And sure enough there were at least 8 cars pulled over on it.

Gas Stop 1: N36.02578 W78.84987 3.627 gal ($11.42) 11138 (192 miles, 52.9 mpg)

Nothing too exciting about the stop in Durham’s gas station, other than it was hard to tell that I was in city at all with the trees

Gas Stop 2: N36.06919 W80.22047 1.604 gal ($4.89) 11219 (81 miles, 50.5 mpg)

It was hilarious. I had told myself that I would put on the rain suit in Winston-Salem, and almost the second I crossed the city limits, it starts raining. So I find another gas station to suit up.

I am perplexed by the reason for the gas-tax sticker, especially since, at least as far as I can tell, the price was almost the same as the other places I’ve been …

day15-01.jpg

And the start of storms
day15-02.jpg

Luckily the rain was more off than on

day15-03.jpg

The boring aspect I had talked about the boring views, well around mile marker 120 the elevation changes finally rose above the line of the trees, and then the road got more interesting. Then it seemed more like a mountain road for a bit.

day15-04.jpg

On the final few miles I kept seeing signs that I-40 was actually open. Everything I had read said it was still closed, so that peeked my interest.

As I drove into Maggie Valley it was interesting just how many motorcycles I saw at motels around the area. Equally interesting was how many motorcycle trailers. Even when I pulled in to the motel, there was a couple unloading two touring bikes off a motorcycle trailer. I mean really, towing touring bikes? I mean sportsters, sure, but touring bikes? Hmm. Anyhow

The views even from the room are pretty good
day15-05.jpg

So having the whole I-40 thing in mind, decide to go check it out

Gas Stop 3: N35.52195 W83.03080 3.525 gal ($10.04) 11403 (184 miles, 52.2 mpg)

Views from gas station:

day15-06.jpg

day15-07.jpg

day15-08.jpg

Somehow I thought I-40 went up before it went down, but it was almost exclusively downgrade into Tennessee. The really scary part is that the speed limit was signed 55 for cars, 50 for trucks, I was comfortable at 55-60, but I was being passed by trucks doing probably 70 or more in the lane marked “no trucks this lane”. And of course more than half the traffic is trucks as they are funneled through this area to get across the mountains at a reasonable speed. I don’t know, very weird seeing an interstate not following the usual curve radiuses.

I probably could have stopped to pick up the Welcome to Tennessee sign, but it was in the middle of the construction area, and I just didn’t feel quite so safe doing so, so I went through to the level lands beyond. The first city I came to (Hartford I think) had a post office right there, but the sign for it was so poorly contrasting for flash I knew I had to get another one. So I tell my GPS to take me to the next closest one. Quite an adventure.

day15-09.jpg

day15-10.jpg

It was a two, er, well I was two-way, but I swear it was only wide enough for 1 car, highly twisty asphalt surface with a hard climb to start it off. I kept thinking I was glad it was dark, so I could see the headlights of a car that was coming, if one was coming. Luckily except for the very beginning there was none. Sadly the post office in Crosby I couldn’t find. So then went to Newport and picked it up there

day15-11.jpg

By this time it was getting late and the fog was rolling in places. But the trip back was rather uneventful, other than the same truck issues as the trip down, luckily with the grades up they were not as bad.

Day 15 miles: 558.5 [Virginia Beach, VA – Maggie Valley, NC]
Total Miles: 6382
Distance to made good to GSNP: 397.2 mi [11.8 mi to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 810.7 miles (must average 91 mpd for 9 days)

Current Points:
29 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, TN
3 Counties: I, R, Y
15 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF, HD-York, SD-NP, PG-NF

Day 16 [May 22nd] Dirty Bike on the Mountain:

day16.jpg

day16b.jpg

Indeed the Great Smokey Mountains are Smokey, with BBQ. Well, okay it is also true that the evaporative fogs also help, but it seems like there is a lot of places cooking on wood around here.

Driving into downtown Cherokee is quite interesting; however it is obvious this area only lives by tourism. I do have to wonder if the Great Smokey Mountains were not a national park or widely known, if anyone would come. Out of everything weird, the Harrah’s Casino just seemed completely out of place. I think the thing is like 15 stories tall? Nothing like it around at all. Everything else looks like it was built decades ago and is falling apart (well not everything, but you know what I mean). I guess it is the result of Indian reservation and national park that really isn’t that far away from a lot of major cities; probably easier to get to than Las Vegas or Atlantic City?

Gas Stop 1: N35.48758 W83.31502 1.980 gal ($6.14) 11524 (121 miles, 61.1 mpg)
(Guess it was all the downhill-ness of it?)

day16-01.jpg

Well if last night was the night of trucks, today was the day of motorcycles. Some wanting to do 10 mph, some wanting to do 100 mph. I guess it should figure being a weekend, but the area was fairly crowded. Honestly, though, compared to Shenandoah, I can’t really speak all that highly of the park. I think the first major issue is, well, it’s free. How could free be bad? Well, it means anyone can come in at any time for any reason. That, unfortunately, means Great Smokey isn’t as free from vandalism or trash. It wasn’t horrible by any means, but still noticeable. I understand that it was originally private land that has legal deed restrictions prohibiting a “toll” for passage of the highway. Who knows, maybe it is also just that there are SO many people (compared to the few I saw at Shenandoah). The second, while there are some really nice waterscapes, but the views just were not what I wanted.

day16-02.jpg

day16-03.jpg

But while I was at New Found Gap’s overlook, I had a guy mention that I must have the dirtiest bike on the mountain. Surely somewhere there has to be one dirtier than my own, but he is right, all the other bikes there (a whole heard of them left before I got up to the little observation post thing to take the picture) were all freshly washed and waxed and detailed. It may not show very well in my pictures, but my whole bike is covered in a fine layer of dirt from the trip, except for my primary cover, horn, air cleaner, and a bit of my exhaust pipes where my legs rubbed it off (or protected it from getting there in the first place). Anyhow, we got in a fairly good chat; he also has a motorcycle (although he wasn’t on it). Talked about various bikes, and road trips, and somehow got on the topic of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

That being said, I ran off for lunch, and then took part of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

day16-04.jpg

day16-05.jpg

The parkway does live up to its hype. It probably would have been better to had a hotel up further, skipped Great Smokey and just done the parkway. But it was nice to have a fairly relaxing day.

Gas Stop 2: N35.52189 W83.03076 2.535 gal ($7.22) 11650 (126 miles, 49.7 mpg)

Oh, and is this Pepsi country? I swear I am having a very hard time find coke products anywhere around here.

Day 16 miles: 147 [Maggie Valley, NC]
Total Miles: 6529
Shortest Distance Home: 984 miles by road, 810.7 miles by air (must average 123 mpd for 8 days)

Current Points:
29 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, TN
3 Counties: I, R, Y
16 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF, HD-York, SD-NP, PG-NF, GS-NP

Day 17 [May 23rd] There is a Canyon There:

First a mini-rant (I seem to have a lot of these?)

Dear Alabama Cagers: Please learn to pass correctly. It’s not like we are traveling on two-lane black-top. This is two lanes in each direction interstate super-slab. Please move into the left lane at least 200 feet back (2 seconds at 70 mph), pass in the left lane until you are 200 feet ahead (2 seconds at 70 mph) then slowly return to right lane. If weather is bad, then these distances should be doubled. If you are passing a semi-trailer rig, move into the left lane 400 feet back (4 seconds at 70 mph) and then pass the truck and do not return to the right lane until 600-800 feet ahead (6 to 8 seconds at 70 mph) {if you can’t see the tractor’s over-cab lights in your rear-view, you are too close}. Passing someone nascar style (ie 10-feet behind, then trying to take off their bumper in-front, or in my case, my tire.. not good form, especially adding tossing a lit cigarette immediately following.. I was doing 73, you were doing 76-79.. I really wasn’t a hindrance to your ability to get down the road). But seriously I had 7 or so cars attempt to kill me by passing at the last second, when there were no other cars around for half-mile or more. I even slow down when some one starts to pass me, just to make sure they get by, because honestly, people can’t seem to drive the same speed.

day17.jpg

day17b.jpg

I looked at the maps, and looked at the maps, and decided, finally, that home was more important than Arkansas. Sometime later this year I'll take a trip up to Hot Springs National Park and grab Arkansas in the process. My rear tire is running on its last miles, and the bike is now over-due for its 10,000 service.

day17-01.jpg

Packed up and left out of Maggie Valley. Pretty quiet. A few bikes and a number of trucks with trailers. Great morning for a ride, though, started out in the 60s/70s with areas of very light fog.

day17-02.jpg

day17-03.jpg

Gas Stop 1: N34.07685 W83.91737 3.635 gal ($11.26) 11849 (199 miles, 54.7 mpg)
Somehow I got to talking to the gas station attendant about motorcycles. He “really” wants one, but “doesn’t have time”. I also found it completely impossible to explain to him what I was doing on my tour, and that I didn’t care that I went through rain (well okay I cared a little, but I could have stopped if I really wanted to).

So then it was time to mess with time.

day17c.jpg

First I gained an hour of available time..

day17-04.jpg

And then proceeded to cook. The ambient temperatures were in the 90s (really unusually high for this time and place), which, when added to traffic I wasn’t expected, and a very warm v-twin, I saw just over 102F indicated temperature on the thermometer which was bad enough without the fact I was still wearing my jacket (I like to wear my jacket on the freeway, as it gives me more control over my ventilation).

And then I lost an hour..

day17-05.jpg

day17-06.jpg

In the process, I realized there is a rather large canyon in Georgia (well not super large, but still enough to make me think about it, and think I was wrong to think these were all flat coastal plane states.

Gas Stop 2: N31.88836 W85.10971 3.767 gal ($10.96) 12045 (196 miles, 52.0 mpg)
It was odd, there were 6 or so gas stations (but no food places) on the Georgia side of the state line..

Then I gained an hour..

And all the food was on the Alabama side, where I had dinner.

Then I took a multitude of county roads (more like Texas Farm Roads, but whatever). They were all pretty nice actually. As I neared the free-way, I saw a pretty large thunderstorm set developing in the distance.

Gas Stop 3: N31.65121 W86.77670 2.345 gal ($6.89) 12171 (126 miles, 53.7 mpg)

day17-07.jpg

And a quick stop by Florida. By the way, Florida, I want my money back for false advertising. There was no sunshine anywhere around! Ha.

The thunderstorms running down I-65 behind me were quite impressive, and lit up the full sky. Luckily it was small and pretty far behind.

Gas Stop 4: N30.58630 W88.16961 2.695 gal ($7.97) 12298 (127 miles, 47.1 mpg)

day17-08.jpg

Honestly I didn’t notice it was Coca Cola road until I was recording the location. Does this mean I can actually find Coke finally?!?!?!

day17-09.jpg

I honestly considered the thought of pushing all the way home by 5am, although considering I didn’t have all the receipts nor a signed thing, I’d have done an iron butt without the proof or recognition. Besides, I’m “on vacation” and already 3 or so days ahead of where I thought I would be at this point. And anyhow, there was a doggy waiting for me..

day17-10.jpg

Day 17 miles: 669.2 [Maggie Valley, NC – Moss Point, MS]
Total Miles: 7198
Shortest Distance Home: 429 miles by road, 399 miles by air (must average 61 mpd for 7 days)
Distance made good: 555 miles by road

Current Points:
34 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, FL, MS
9 Cities: C, G, K, L, M, N, O, X , Y
5 Counties: I, Q, R, S, Y
16 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP, GM-NF, HD-York, SD-NP, PG-NF, GS-NP

Day 18 [May 24th] Flat and Hot:

day18.jpg

day18b.jpg

As expected, a rather typical trip down I-10 (and well I-12 too).

day18-01.jpg

Honestly I had never taken I-12, but now it is on my list of interstates I’ve taken end to end. I think the only thing of significant note was the “Republic of West Florida” signs on the road. It’s an interesting tid-bit of history, actually, the bit of Alabama that touches the gulf-coast, the bit of Mississippi that touches the coast, and even the part of Louisiana from the Mississippi river to Mississippi was all part of the Republic of West Florida.

Gas Stop 1: N30.48181 W90.41399 2.728 gal ($7.96) 12443 (145 miles, 53.2 mpg)

Somewhere between Lafayette and Lake Charles is the only significant accident I saw the whole trip, to which I had to travel past. Sadly, apparently the south is experiencing record warm temperatures. So yes, the hot short time of the other day was eclipsed by sitting in traffic for a two or three miles, trucks, 95 ambient and 110+ reported by my poor little thermometer on the bike. Had to resort to the old trick of water down the shirt to keep cool. I guess I don’t have quite the extremes of JFink, but the whole trip did include 40s with rain to this 95 without a cloud in the sky. I had hoped to avoid both, but can’t have all your wishes on a ride this long, right?

Gas Stop 2: N30.23325 W93.12949 3.522 gal ($10.91) 12613 (170 miles, 48.3 mpg)

day18-02.jpg

day18-07.jpg

Actually spent a fair amount of time at the visitors station, eventually seeing the over-sized load carrying two really nice boats pull in. Only of note because I saw it pulled over by two Louisiana police a few miles back.

Gas Stop 3: N29.55959 W95.11278 2.957 gal ($9.10) 12759 (146 miles, 49.4 mpg)

Got home at a reasonable time after dark. Amazed just how much road-grime I had all over everything.

Speaking of grime
day18-03.jpg

day18-04.jpg

day18-05.jpg

day18-06.jpg

Day 18 miles: 439.7 [Moss Point, MS – Houston, TX]
Total GPS Miles: 7638
Total Bike Reported Miles: 7633

Current Points:
36 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, FL, MS, LA, TX
9 Cities: C, G, K, L, M, N, O, X , Y
5 Counties: I, Q, R, S, Y

Seems like it was a lot longer than that I really was, although was fun over-all. Really should have camped, would have been more budget friendly. Sadly I already want to do the other states I left out. Only leaves a few states I haven't visited in one shape or form

day18usa.jpg

So now my math geek side will show...

18 days.

7633 miles for an average of 424 miles per day. Ignoring the days I started and stopped in the same city, I averaged 521 miles per day, minimum one-day transit of 342 miles, maximum one-day transit of 725 miles. I wish I had recorded hours, for I know that 342 was almost as long as the 725 day. I did most of the longest days in the first few days, and the second to last.

160.2 gallons of gas totaling $487.23 in 53 gas stops. Average miles between fill-up is 143, with min of 76 and max of 199 miles. Price of gas averaged $3.05 per gallon, with min of $2.43 and max of $4.22 (has to be an error in my numbers). Cheapest gas was in North Dakota. Averaged 47.8 miles per gallon, with 31.4 miles per gallon as the lowest (where I couldn't find 91+ octane in South Dakota) and 61.1 miles per gallon on the trip from Maggie Valley (~3000 ft) to Atlanta (~1000 ft). I find it funny that the drop to 89 octane on low-rise elevation in South Dakota was far less than 92 on the steep rise into Maggie Valley. Really wouldn't have guessed it would make that much of a difference.

Based on my credit card balance, the non-gas portion of the trip was $2637.99 including oil change, boots, the new rain-top, and a pair of "waterproof gloves", tolls, food, tours, lodging, etc. This high price actually is what got me to decide to end the trip as soon as possible. So that's $174/day including gas, or $146/day not including gas. My budgeted number was around $140/day including gas. I think the boots, the high priced dinners in Milwaukee and York and the various items I picked up at a few places (shirts, etc) were the main exceeds, but I still haven't quite figured out where I was spending more than desired. Of course, in reality I think one part of the trip that would have really reduced the price would have been the lodging. Of course if I was faithful to the trips my dad used to take, I would have camped the whole way. I kept debating camping right up until I left for the trip. My biggest issue is I didn't have proper saddle bags, and as it was with three changes of clothes, a basic tool kit, various documents, one small towel, various layers (thermals, thick layers, rain gear), work computer, a small book, camera, water bladder, and later the second pair of shoes... I really was out of reasonable space. And I don't own a tent anymore. I have some feeling my dad probably roughed it when he used to tour. I just didn't want to be in horrible shape when interacting with people, and I really wasn't sure about where I could camp, and how easy it would be to find camping locations. Maybe when (if? hopefully when... hopefully this year, I'd like to round out this year with all 48 states) I do the Western States, I'll camp.

Happy that my only issue was a vent line coming undone, and of course eating my back tire flat (interstate sooooo bad for long straights). Only disappointment is no one on the trip asked about the cute little Okuu on the windshield. Of course if anyone even saw the 3" tall winged creature, is a valid question.

All in all, it was a good get-a-way. Continues to reinforce my one-day-at-a-time laid back attitude. Hopefully I can keep it longer, and wont let the people who see other people just as thing to get in the way of where they are going in a super-hurry get to me. Tomorrow is back to work, and the beginning of truly looking for the next job with about 3 months left.

Fantastic read! Thanks for all the work of sharing your journey with us. I don't consider the food on a trip as trip expense as you gotta eat anyway. Just at times you get carried away on the road or at least I do. ;-).

I enjoyed the trip reports and look forward to reading of your next (Western Swing) report(s).

Back