• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run V: Medina, 5/29

Well . . . I cheated and started in Bandera so only rode 25 miles round trip but it was great to see so many bikes and the pie was good as always. I substituted riding my bike for tubing down the Medina river. So refreshing! If anyone needs a vacation, be sure to check out the Mayan Dude Ranch. I've known the Hicks family since I was a little kid back in the '60's and they have the best ranch in Texas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoaOfw9PnE

http://www.mayanranch.com

Attachments

• versys_medina.jpg
    versys_medina.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 174
I got there about 11:50 and by the time I got out with my pie people were taking off to ride! I guess they didn't want to miss the great hill country roads.

I had a great time. It was interesting that the entire town of Bandara was lining Highway 16 waving to us when I passed through about 10:30.

Shortly after Bandara I had to slow to a walk for a few minutes, trapped behind a horse drawn wagon and about 30 riders on biological (not iron) horses.

Dennis guess it was brain freeze from the Apple Ice cream I saw your bike
commented to a friend how much it looked like my old one and did not
even put two and two together

475 miles for us. (came from Roundrock area). Awesome riding. Excellent weather. Great food in Medina. Stopped in Luckenbach on the way back and said hi to willie, waylon, and the boys. :-)

I clocked 230 miles for the day, starting from San Antonio. Good food, great weather and a fun ride. We even managed a couple miles of dirt road so taking the DR turned out to be the right choice! :clap:

Thanks for leading us around, Bill. It was good to see everyone again.

The Thread is vertually useless without pictures :scratch:

I left the casa about 0645hrs to meetup with Rusty's group at Smokey J's BBQ. While waiting, I enjoyed a sliced brisket and egg soft taco. Shortly thereafter we had a dozen or so folks and split into two groups to get us out of town. We headed out 620 to Hwy 71, then Hamilton Pool Road and down RR12 into Dripping Springs. From there, we went out to Henley then down FM165 to gather/fuel in Blanco. The rest was sort of a blur as we were one big group but I do recall 473 and some construction, then winding up on 46 then 16 to Medina.

Many riders had already arrived and Love Creek didn't open until 11:00 so everyone mingled out front. Lots of new faces to greet and new bikes to gawk at. Most had lunch/pie then departed for a run at the Three Sisters.

Our group took off with about seven and headed out 337 with a stop in Leakey for fuel. We continued on to Camp Wood where we took 55 North to Barksdale and the beginning of 335. We ran that one up to 41 where one peeled off to the West, and three were going to head East to Mountain Home/Kerrville. That left three to run back down 336 into Leakey for yet another fuel stop.

We decided we'd backtrack 337 to Medina, then catch Hwy16 up to Kerrville/Fredericksburg and over to Luckenbach. By the time we were at the Luckenbach turnoff it was already late afternoon so one more dead-headed home via 290. That left Fred and I to run over to Luckenbach, but we were told they closed the entry to all but foot traffic and we'd have to park in the field. Hot, tired and sweaty, we opted to just high-tail it back 290 to Austin as well splitting about the "Y" in Oak Hill.

I had 455 miles on the day and enjoyed every one of them with good friends old and new. Pulled in this evening right at 12 hours after departure give or take a minute.

...... and the requisite pictures:

Part of the lunch crowd waiting on 11:00
883154877_uVN7A-L.jpg

A nicely farkled R1200GS-ADV:
883156122_idvec-L.jpg

883157314_VBDoP-L.jpg

883158263_oEjSf-L.jpg

Part of the lunch line....
883160076_YqSXs-L.jpg

The REAL reason for these runs:
883162063_YA5Ab-L.jpg

Our motley crew around Rusty's new R1200GS-ADV
Carl (rhodyne), Fred (Red Brown), newguy, James (Jbay), Rusty (Woodbutcher), Bill (StromDude) Garreth (Iron Wombat)
883163722_VQMTc-L.jpg

Last edited:
I rode with the Austin group. Had a nice cool ride down to Medina, beautiful route. Took off with M38A1's group to ride the three sisters for the first time, finished two and decided it was already 3:30 and we were quite far from Austin. When they said we were only about 100 miles from Mexico, I was amazed. I headed in to Hunt and Ingram which is a ride I always enjoy. Then into Kerrville, up 16 to Llano for dinner at Coopers. The quality there is so inconsistent, sometimes it is awesome, others not so much, last night was a not so great night. I dodged a few small showers and headed in 29 to Parmer , then home. I ended up with 426 miles on the odometer which is a personal high for a daytrip for me and probably about 100 miles more than I will do in the future :) It was fun though......

Well, I couldn't make the Pie Run, but I had pie anyway. Chicken Pot Pie at 59 Diner on the Southwest Freeway.

x2_177044d

And it was so good, I chased it with apple pie and ice cream.

x2_1770d9a

Maybe I can make Elgin in August. :eat:

When the adage says a picture is worth a thousand words, I believe the above image expresses much.

It was a great pie run and with the large number of riders it can only strengthen this belief. The trip route was excellent thanks to Rusty and Scott. Some of the trip highlights include an unexpected small creek in the middle apex of the turn on a small county road and had a friendly deer scamper in front of the lead pack of bikes. Right before we arrived in Medina, we had a mad rush of speed as Rusty tried to touch 100 mph on his new GS Adventure with the group trying to play catch-up. :trust:

I want to especially thank the certified pie coordinator Chuck who help make the whole arrangements possible. Thanks also to Rusty for allowing me to test ride his new GS Adventure. It is truly a touring beast. It was also fun meeting all the new members and old riding friends. FYI, for those who did the 337 portion into Leakey, you would have noticed Texas moto-Foto taking pictures of riders deep into their turn. They should have the images from yesterday for purchase perhaps some this week.

Enjoy your Memorial weekend in the Texas Hill Country!

Cheers,

RB

I had a great time. It was interesting that the entire town of Bandara was lining Highway 16 waving to us when I passed through about 10:30.

Shortly after Bandara I had to slow to a walk for a few minutes, trapped behind a horse drawn wagon and about 30 riders on biological (not iron) horses.

There was a parade there, when we came through about 11:30 we got rerouted through a neighborhood east of 16. I think we hit 30 stop signs, one on every block.

My girl and I rode 733 miles round trip in 24 hours for the pie.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 163
Susan and I made it home about 1:30. I'll have some pictures later, I hope.

Saw a lot of motorcycles out this morning and a bunch headed south on US281.

Enjoyed seeing everyone & hope to look thru the Moto-Foto proofs and see ya'll again!

rolled back in the drive at 1pm with 843.7 miles on the trip meter.
I need a bigger bike, I just didn't have enough room on the SV to get one of those trees to fit for the return trip.:rider:

may2010medina024.jpg

may2010medina028.jpg

cover the kids eyes naked Italian super model!
may2010medina025.jpg

the pie masters better half's (Suzan) ride drew people in like a bug on a headlight where ever we stopped.
may2010medina009.jpg

#1 question "how does it steer?" (just like a regular scooter/bike)

my friend Billy's very customized 85 Suzuki GS700E, this bike was built for the hills.
may2010medina019.jpg

For those who rode the Sisters yesterday, the photos are online at Texas Moto Foto....I just ordered one of me...:)

Dahveed's KLR was putting down so much power it was ripping the knobbies right off the rear tire, good high grade Shinko!!
may2010medina023.jpg

evil Buell 1125R (may Buell RIP)
may2010medina032.jpg

OH NOOOOO!!!!!

may2010medina034.jpg

MMMM Vincent!
may2010medina035.jpg

a Enfield power mower! the scoop at front is grass catcher.

may2010medina039.jpg

may2010medina050.jpg

Pie master Chuck and Suzan at Billy the Kid statue

may2010medina053.jpg

you never know what you will find out on the three sisters.
this is a real live Harley Davidson MT350E from the mid 90's, they were made for the British military and are very rare as not alot where made, much less brought over here.

may2010medina051.jpg

yep that is a Rotax single in there.

may2010medina052.jpg

Last edited:
I was unaware they made that in a 350cc model. The only ones I've seen were MT500's.

Cool find. :clap:

I left Houston at 6:15 and made it to Bandera just in time to catch the last bit of the rodeo parade. I was stopped in the road by about 50 horses, 2 chuck wagons, and all the "droppings" in the road. Yum.

Anyway, got to meet up with my friends Chuck and Susan and even met a few new ones. I was able to procure a few TWT decals for the ride, and we all took off for the motorcycle museum. After that I had to meet up with my family in Austin. At the end of the day I had 470 miles. And on a sport bike, doesn't that count double???

The plan for Sunday was to take my dad out to see some great hill country roads, but with him being a new rider, and me totally sore from the previous day, we were only able to do a couple hours. Still had a great ride and got to go around Lake Travis and even had time for some margaritas at the end of the day.

Back