• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas Git-R-Done Ride 2010

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Smith
A motley crew or riders departed from McKinney, TX on Wednesday the 26th to sample the dual sport goodness of the Ouachita Nat’l Forrest in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Around 900 miles were logged, with the majority of it (except for the trip back) on dirt. Bears were spotted, turtles dodged, poison ivy applied, rocks ridden, mud splattered, flung, and face planted into. Bikes were broken and mended, dogs fed, and beer was consumed. A very good time was had by all.

885778026_mk2x4-M.jpg

Cast of Characters
885900262_WmSHy-S.jpg

Pecos “The Fixer” - BMW X-Challenge

886419083_9Guhc-S.jpg

Gary “Silver Bullet” W. - KTM 690 R

885876481_nKt9A-S.jpg

DFW Rider "Pinch Flat" Ken - KTM 690 R

886567112_z9B5Z-S.jpg

Medic “Mud Slide” Jeff - DRZ 400

885767091_DGGMw-S.jpg

Stephen “Countershaft” S. - KLR 650

885647577_TUTPN-S.jpg

Kyle "Iron Butt" B. - KTM 450

885745946_Lj3cc-S.jpg

And your host, Justin “I want a KTM” Smith - DR 650

For me, this ride is dedicated to my bud Chris Giles, who is in the hospital with severe injuries after a young girl turned in front of him ("failure to yield") last week, the day I left for this ride.

Last edited:
Transit to the Laager

Tuesday was spent pretending to work and thinking about the upcoming ride. Noon finally rolled around and I bolted for home to load the bike and head over to Jeff’s for trailering to McKinney (Thanks dude! :clap:). I shouldn’t have looked at my bike… as I snugged down one of my ProCycle bar end mirrors it snapped (ARG), and as I checked the rest over I noticed that the bolt holding down the middle of my luggage rack was pulling through. :headbang:. Oh well… time to go.
885604764_c6X7m-M.jpg

Getting a DR, a Dizzer, and a KLR on the trailer took a little more fiddling than expected.
885607566_nDn2k-M.jpg

They were on there pretty tight.
885610368_CyfKP-M.jpg

885613026_Vmzi9-M.jpg

But we filled Jeff's truck...
885625730_MEMup-M.jpg

...and he had us headed norte for the Casa del Pecos in no time. Gary arrived just after we did with a brand new KTM 690 and (we didn’t know it at the time) panniers rather suspiciously suited to holding cold six packs of beer. Since he plans everything to the T, I’m going to say that it was intentional.
885630279_XWB76-M.jpg

Pecos calmed the troops with hopped beverages as the toys started piling up.
885640635_QzbDU-M.jpg

Pecos may have been kind enough to let a bunch of guys crash in his crib, but the wife and kids wisely found other lodging for the night. ;-)
885635573_t3bR5-M.jpg

(Stephen is eyeballing his countershaft sprocket, and wondering how many times he can change it in one day...)

Last edited:
Day One

Oh Dark Thirty rolled around on Wednesday and two more Orange Bikes showed up. Jeff and I were feeling a bit out numbered by high dollar steel.

DFW Rider on another schweet, new KTM 690 R.
885643218_8RPND-M.jpg

And the final new Orange Bike arrived with Kyle. Take a good look at the gas tank in his bio picture in my first post. Ponder why a dealer would not provide a word of warning about the rather close spacing (ie: none) between the tank and the header pipe...

Packs were sorted, mirrors adjusted high fives exchanged, and 1.8 miles were put on the clock to the first gas station, where it was discovered that Kyle’s new dealer-installed aftermarket tank had burned through where it was sitting on the header pipe and gas was dripping onto and pooling below the (very hot) pipe (!!). Flaming death averted, Kyle went to work getting his stock tank located and back on the bike :doh: while we headed north.
885654861_cox4Q-M.jpg

Our route was backroads north, east along the Red River, and up to Rattan, Oklahoma.
888119896_P3fvj-M.jpg

We hit it at a breakneck speed.
885657718_EbWWn-M.jpg

With a few rest stops thrown in for KTM fuel capacity, seat comfort, and bladder size issues :lol2:
885665397_MRsXw-M.jpg

Upon arrival at Rattan we chucked down some well-deserved breakfast and contemplated our intended dirt route to Clayton. These guys seemed pretty happy about how the day was shaping up. ;-)
885667633_u8FZD-M.jpg

The map is a bewildering array of logging roads north of Rattan and the very friendly locals provided us with a wealth of (sometimes contradictory) knowledge.
888138547_rzUF3-L.jpg

You need an $85 permit (or not). There is a three day pass (or not). The fines are huge (or not). Marked roads are blocked. Many roads aren't marked. You’ll get lost. There are tons of game wardens in the area. Etc. We carefully considered the information available... and, having just ridden hours of pavement we did what any self-respecting DS'er would do. We buckled up...
885673483_uTRFe-M.jpg

... and headed for dirt :trust:.
885680993_MGYNM-M.jpg

The riding was great and the scenery kept getting better, with gravel roads giving way to rough, forgotten, rocky two track in places. Deep forest and open vistas. Even a herd or two of wild horses... but luckily no game wardens ;-).
885687817_s4wJu-M.jpg

By now the sun was high so the photography is unimpressive, but the scenery continued to satisfy.
885691116_RjeNz-M.jpg

And speaking of the sun being high... for the first time in my DS'ing life, after hours of hot, sweaty riding, a guy pulled out a handful of ice-cold Silver Bullets and distributed them to willing riders! :clap:
888163944_xafsD-M.jpg

Now before you start flaming me for drinking and DS'ing, consider that one Silver Bullet, when mixed with a 100 oz's of water from your water bladder, just makes 112 oz's of water to get rid of. :lol2: It was a refreshing novelty that was to be replayed a time or two over the following week.

I rolled 10k right around here somewhere. :-P
885712722_BdxP8-M.jpg

After more good riding and some quick slab we made our way to Clayton and the beginning of the Kiamichi Trail into Mena, Arkansas. This was where the real riding began, and we were excited. With water replenished and bladders emptied we headed east and picked up the trail just outside of town.

Last edited:
Day 1 - Clayton to The Indian Highway

The K Trail was upon us and it was good. :zen:
885718986_arsDh-M.jpg

Our pre-ride research indicated that the first ten miles or so out of Clayton was the roughest (best?) portion of the trail. Even so, the first climb we hit was surprisingly rough and rocky and managed to temporarily claim a rider or two. We were taken a bit by surprise and too bunched up not to mentioned loaded with all of our gear… I was glad I had installed a 14T front sprocket when I had to start from a stop on the incline.
885724943_acVsx-M.jpg

The X-Challenge stops for a brief nap in some rubble. Everybody got to let their bikes nap eventually...
885727608_2YdBE-M.jpg

Stephen was still rocking his 16T front at the time but it didn’t slow him down much. We were having a ball with our overloaded bikes. The climb conquered, we stopped to consider our apparent good fortune. ;-)
885738024_TM9wZ-M.jpg

Gary is a great guy to ride with (even without considering the beer :lol2:). As a petroleum guy who's company used the Deepwater Horizon in the past, Gary has spent quite of bit of time offshore on the Horizon's sister drill semi's drilling similar wells, so he had some interesting insights into the BP Disaster :giveup:
885732778_5u8kk-M.jpg

Approximately 15 or 20 miles in, with the day getting late, Stephen realized that in true KLR form his bike had started shedding bolts. I had stopped to get some pictures and was talking to Gary when he rolled up with this.
885747999_CKLD2-M.jpg

Three of the four bolts that held on his fully loaded rear rack and fender had departed the bike. Many zip ties were sacrificed to the KLR gods.
885752335_2Uofz-M.jpg

After a fair bit of troubleshooting time and many zip ties used, DFW Rider came back to check on us in true Ken form (fast), and managed to blast a big rock 50 yards from us, flail momentarily, and roll to a stop next to us with a pinch flat.
885750334_M8T3v-M.jpg

By then it was well over 90 degrees, and with the occasional thunderstorm sprinkle felt like 100% humidity. I discarded the first prospecting tic that I found walking up my arm as we got busy. :eek2:
885754693_rEV7D-M.jpg

Gary had ridden on to let the group know that we were just working on a rack issue… so they chilled out up the trail not knowing that we were now changing tires as well :) I use “chilled out” in true literal fashion because unbeknownst to us, Gary still had a small number of chilled Silver Bullets in his mountain of gear that he shared with the lead group while we Sweated Bullets working on bikes :doh::rofl:.

They eventually came back to save us (and tell us how good the beer tasted). Stephen's gear was divvied up (heck, that KLR already weights over 400 lbs anyway, doesn't it?), and we got back on the trail. Given the time and distance from Mena we elected to bail out on the Indian Highway and take the Talimena Scenic Drive into Mena.
885757179_a9Zia-M.jpg

Ken is much happier with air in his tires. :-P
885759392_JCmde-M.jpg

The rest of the K-Trail, with it's mud-hole goodness, would have to wait until later in the trip.

Tomorrow... on to Mena.

Last edited:
Looks great Justin... I will add some pics and try to get some video up as soon as I finish remodeling my bathroom.

Heck I was on the trip and am looking forward to your next installment. :clap:

Thanks Justin...Can't wait to see the rest of the post.

Btw, important safety tip, when riding the K trail, don't get to close to Andrew as he crosses mud holes...I found out the hard way what its like to get roosted with nasty/smelly/stagnant mud. Riding the rest of the day smelling the bouquet of aroma was lovely.

Day 1 - The Final Chapter

So we rejoin our intrepid riders as they chose to bail the K-Trail at the Indian Highway and slab it to Talihina, OK before jumping on the Talimena Scenic Drive for the burn into Mena. (I will get GPS tracks posted, if I can find my GPS :( ). At Talihina there was pointed discussion regarding the dryness of Mena, Arkansas, and the need for transporting suds to that location. Pecos "solved" the problem as most of us did, by strapping it anywhere possible. Although I don't know if "Steel Reserve" can really be considered "solving" the problem :lol2:
885761065_cQ7sU-M.jpg

From Talihina we motored north to jump on the scenic drive and were quickly awarded with the sight of a sow black bear and her cub running across the road! They were gone too quickly for pictures but wow, that was cool! :thumb: This road could easily be called "The Dragon" of the Ouachitas for it's twisty tarmac and outstanding scenery.
885771217_6oU9H-M.jpg

Yes, you can see all Stephen's gear strapped on the back of a convenient KTM 690 in this photo... :lol2:
885773215_ERVdJ-M.jpg

The Talimena Scenic Drive winds off into the background as the sun gets low...
885774902_kSDwu-M.jpg

And then we're off again. After another ten miles or so the lead riders braked quickly as another black bear, this time a larger boar, ran across the road and up the steep, wooded embankment on the side of the road. Cool! The pace was brisk were visibility allowed and Stephen and I jumped off the front for the last few miles into Mena where Kyle B. met us at the Red Rider Cabin, our FOB for the week.

I think Kyle's Iron Butt had been significantly softened by the merciless seat of his KTM 450 by this point.
885779875_ehK6E-M.jpg

Included in the welcoming committee were these characters. A more flea-and-tick bitten crew you'll never find. You could actually see where the loaded tics were on the momma-dog, because her hair stuck out :eek2: They knew the deal though... when out-of-towners show up at the Red Rider Cabin, it's time for some mooching.
885781980_thM6a-M.jpg

I'm a sucker for animals in distress, so they got the full treatment while I was there :)

That night we feasted on 7 large pizzas (breakfast had been ~ 11 hours prior) and Oklahoma beer while stripped gear off the bikes for playing. Stephen spent hours on his KLR, replacing bolts and changing out the countersprocket... a ritual that was repeated nightly. :lol2:

Last edited:
Day 2 - The Beginning

Daylight came very early the next day. Breakfast came earlier for some than others. ;-)
885784125_grSqw-M.jpg

The bikes were ready to go.
885786339_FXYdD-M.jpg

Breakfast was lined up at the Skyline Cafe :thumb:...
885793543_h8sXH-M.jpg

Where you could purchase eggs, sausage, toast, and SKS Rifles. :trust:
885795375_TmYRh-M.jpg

After that it was a quick stop at Tim's Yamaha-Pawn-Gun-and-Archery Shop to root around for some local knowledge and replace forgotten items of gear. Yes, I did say motorcycle/pawn/gun/archery shop. It was the perfect store :clap:
885797539_etgTx-M.jpg

These guys turned into our go-to people in Mena, they were great with trail info and fixing broken bikes.

The plan was to hit the Wolf Pen Gap area and points east. And a good plan it was. Maps were consulted...
885809505_MSWVS-M.jpg

And plans made.
885812089_6Wwbi-M.jpg

It was decided that one group would run Trail #6 (get your real WPG maps from Tim's Yamaha... the others are crap) and the other would run Trail #8, meeting in the East parking lot. #6 was listed as intermediate and #8 difficult. I opted for the #8 group after some trepidation :oops: but it turned out to be one of my favorites. Trail #8 did not disappoint.
885814346_AdYbw-M.jpg

We were almost immediately dumped into offroad nirvana. Fast, twisty trails with perfectly formed jumps to launch over large mud puddles. Long, rutted, gnarly, rocky and muddy climbs. The crux of the trail is about 2/3 of the way through at a high overlook just after a rocky climb. Pecos had just dropped out of sight and these guys are contemplating things.
885816245_qSj4N-M.jpg

No, I'm not kidding Justin, it's pretty darned gnarly.
885818410_DeFWb-M.jpg

Well ok...
885820393_P9Aww-M.jpg

And it was! I had to paddle through one nasty spot, jump on the pegs just in time to slam the crud out of my skid plate off of a sharp drop, and then negotiate a rubble filled (but thanfully not too sharp) switchback to where the guys were congratulating each other on their survival.
885824558_6VNdd-M.jpg

It was great! The remainder of #8 did not disappoint, I highly recommend it.
885826699_jtfYq-M.jpg

Yes, you are going to be tired of seeing the "aft" end of riders. I spent a lot of time (by choice) as tail-end-charlie. These guys were much faster than I was over most of the terrain.
885828805_7z6Ge-M.jpg

I was happy to ride most of it, including one fairly tight descending switchback, with minimal dabs. Just before #8 dumps out to the road we crossed a significant rocky puddle. Pecos blasted it in his usual fashion :trust: and was rewarded with no back brakes when we reached the road. A rock had apparently smashed his right peg, breaking the lower bolt out of the frame :eek2: and rotating it aft while smashing the rear brake clevis. :doh:
885830018_9KNPA-M.jpg

Thankfully, KTM Gary is always ready to help his BMW brethren :rofl:
885831610_XMHQX-M.jpg

885833042_rQoJi-M.jpg

While Pecos made plans for a (successful) run back to Tim's Yamaha, Stephen conducted important business.
885835637_Bfv3E-M.jpg

Wet feet was to be a theme of the trip. Well, for most people. My Gore-Tex TCX boots kept my feet dry almost until the very end ;-)

Up next... a "Lewis and Clark" expedition to the Little Missouri area and on to the Blue Hole ;-)

Last edited:
:popcorn:

Sorry I missed you guys. Looin like a real nice trip you had. I love that area!

Oh and the food was D-LUX.

Attachments

• CIMG0401.JPG
    CIMG0401.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 199
  • CIMG0440.JPG
    CIMG0440.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 206
  • CIMG0438.JPG
    CIMG0438.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 201
Day 2 Continued

After WPG a route was proposed to hit some of the waypoints on our GPS's from previous TWT and ADV rides (thanks guys!). These included the Little Missouri area, Albert Pike, and finally, the Blue Hole. Our understanding of the area was still a bit foggy but off we went.

Stephen and I managed to find a promising trail near the Little Missouri camp ground and conned the others into following us. We did have to get by two sketchy kids in an old pickup and one rather surly pit bull who tried to sample my hand, but no harm done. We found yet another promising track running along the river that quickly started deteriorating, eventually running smack into this.

Ken says, "yeah good luck with that."
885837389_TyJo7-M.jpg

Kyle says "you can't be serious?"
885839145_ospv2-M.jpg

Gary, "seasoned" rider that he is, didn't even bother bringing his bike the last boulder-and-tree strewn 50 yards.
885842420_Lyv8U-M.jpg

I'll get videos posted eventually that show the ominous deep green of the crossing, with shadowy outlines of barely visible boulders. It hadn't been crossed by bikes (sane ones anyway) in years. No Water-Crossing-of-Death for us, so we about-faced and headed for the Blue Hole.
885844186_rfLBm-M.jpg

Like any good rubber-necker, I set up shop on the other side of a puddle and waited for carnage.
885845640_iJBDS-M.jpg

But I was disappointed... this time ;-)
885847361_s3i2U-M.jpg

Our route to the Blue Hole was equally foggy. There was a squiggly line on the GPS. There was a waypoint a half mile off the road. But there was no apparent connection. Upon meeting a gentleman in a quad coming the other way who was also looking for the Hole, I took the first right I came to. Stephen, trusting (naive?) soul that he is, followed. The trail climbed a hill, meandered around a pond, went through a mud hole, climbed another rather treacherous, muddy, rutted hill, but for gad-sakes the BH didn't reveal itself. I was getting a little puckered and little did I know, dissent was brewing in the ranks :-P. There were thinly veiled remarks to the effect of "Where are Lewis and Clark taking us now?". I had to deliver. And thankfully, the Blue Hole appeared :giveup: Whew!
885853962_8xsjP-M.jpg

Gary did his magic and all was again right and good. (I know, I'm sorry Mom, it's not Bud Light but what's a guy gonna do??)
885850370_nhXCb-M.jpg

The "Lewis and Clark" talk subsided as cold beer reduced our core temperatures...
885852137_jKD9C-M.jpg

Jeff even threw some signs :trust:
885849117_uaS7a-M.jpg

But the bottom of the Blue Hole wasn't enough. We had to see the top.
885860729_x54Ty-M.jpg

The ride up was a bit sketchy (ie: fun!). Can't believe some of you TWTers lugged F800GS's up there. :hail:

Who knew these guys were such a bunch of posers? :lol2:
885857840_kcjfo-M.jpg

What is a Mena RR without the iconic Blue Hole Picture?
885862069_KNgTg-M.jpg

It was actually pretty breath-taking. Other breath-taking sights included legions of people on quads that started showing up in various states of Arkansas dress, including one famous kid. I'll let Jeff tell that story. ;-)

By now the afternoon was getting long and we needed some grub. Albert Pike seemed like a likely candidate as we'd heard rumors of a store. The rumors were true, so we invaded.
885872621_76uG8-M.jpg

Probably one of the better lunches I've had in a long time. :eat:
885873732_99XhR-M.jpg

I think the Kyle and Ken conversation went something like this.
Kyle "So Ken, what do you think of that KTM seat?"
Ken "It's just fine, I like it." (which was his answer to everything)
Kyle "My butt hasn't felt so bad since I rode from Key West to Prudhoe Bay in 48 straight hours."

Kyle's butt and our keen lack of beer got the best of him, and Kyle and Gary took one for the team and headed out on a Dual Sport Beer Run (of epic proportions, as we will see later). At this point we were down to four riders. Pecos was having his own adventure "rally ridin'" all over creation at Dakar speeds trying to find us after successfully fixing his bike. He'll have to tell that one ;-)

It was time to head back to the ranch but why not grab some new roads on the way home? Mena certainly did not disappoint. North out of Albert Pike is Rd. 512 (512 baby! sorry... that's our area code in Austin :)) that someone, maybe AttoirRE? mentioned was his favorite. It started off with a bang... er.. splash?, and was an absolute ball.
885876481_nKt9A-M.jpg

That was one seriously deep water crossing on the first day.
We were happy not to be giving mouth-to-mouth to drowned bikes at 4:00 PM. I have never had water over my front tire and heard my pipe go "glug glug glug" instead of "putt putt putt". :eek2:
885875227_rC5Yz-M.jpg

Not 200 yards further we came to this one. Where you could just barely see the other side under the low canopy because the road runs through the creek bottom.
885877971_QTYPQ-M.jpg

I was finding that tail-end-Charlie had advantages and disadvantages.
885879403_KDtTy-M.jpg

A major advantage was that you could let the other guys go first and see if the crossings were treacherous. :wave: (This next one was.) Ken dumped his KTM and Stephen didn't want it to be lonely, so he dumped his KLR right behind him. Then, because the KLR hadn't ingested enough water, Stephen picked it up and dropped it on the other side. Just to make sure the pipe was completely submerged. :rofl:
885880734_3hewa-M.jpg

Get that video posted Jeff, that's some funny stuff. :lol2:
885882627_XN7QB-M.jpg

The disadvantage was that by the time I crossed the water was all stirred up and I was flying blind. Fortunately I didn't go swimming but it was touch and go at times.

After surviving the "Water Trail" as we called it, we headed out on a twisty, tree crowded, climbing gravel road in the general direction of home. Once again, Arkansas delivered.
885885357_TCzmM-M.jpg

I couldn't believe the cool stuff we kept finding. The Sugar Creek Vista pops out of nowhere.
885886584_WgwyG-M.jpg

885888158_5U4wh-M.jpg

The last trail back I can't remember, and since my (brand new) GPS is still AWOL it will remain a mystery for now. But it was excellent again although pretty tough on my pig.
885889446_rGjVn-M.jpg

The guys left me in the dust because, regularly spaced through most of the trail, up and down, were HUGE perfectly shaped jumps that apparently double as water bars. You can kind of see one over my bike.
885890995_aYtzT-M.jpg

Have you ever been left in the dust by a KLR? :help: It's humbling to say the least. In my defense Stephen rides that jalopy like he stole it, bolts flying everywhere. At any rate it took me awhile to figure these things out. My first inclination was to launch the crap out of them again, which I did about twice. Each flight ended with an almighty bang as every portion of the bottom of my bike came in contact with earth. Then I tried just riding the things, but my under-damped rear shock tried to lauch my butt between my shoulders each time. I finally figured out the perfect throttle blip at the crest of each "water bar" that allowed a perfect, DR sustainable, wheelie drop. :rider: It was really fun. Have I mentioned that I want a KTM? :lol2:

The cabin was a welcome sight that evening. We listened to Pecos' stories of rally ridin' and contacts with the 4-wheeling types.
885892090_C2AwX-M.jpg

Even Ken was tired. My 2.5 year old would have pointed at his toes and said "HE'S GOT RAISENS!" (My kid never talks softly.)
885893144_ihNaB-M.jpg

The theme of wet feet was in full play after the Water Trail. My DR was happy that I was done asking it for flight time.
885894210_JovBu-M.jpg

I think the only casualty in addition to Ken's back brake lever (from the swimming lesson) and Pecos' peg was yet another DR license plate.
885895053_2HrCA-M.jpg

I've trashed three of the darned things now and finally wised up and provided some additional support to my new one.

I take that back, Stephen's bike shed some more bolts. The aft one holding the header pipe on, right? :lol2:

Gary and Kyle arrived shortly after with a MOUND of beer on their cycles. Unfortunately I only have video of the incident, but Gary had 60 beers on his bike and Kyle had 18. :eek2: :giveup: They sniffed that the HD rider they saw only had room for one 16-ozer :lol2: At least now we had lots of beer to go with our stack of day old pizza in the fridge. :eat:

Gary contemplates a massive map of WPG that he put together from maps he found on the internet. He is old school.
885896010_DKxrV-M.jpg

Unfortunately, it was only good for TP because none of the trails were numbered correctly. :-P Tim's Yamaha, I tell ya.

Day 2 finally came to a close as we sipped beer, listened to dogs scratch their fleas, and talked riding. Man I was TIRED, but wow that was FUN.

Last edited:
:tab There was a good bit of "I want a KTM" going on during our Cloudcroft ride as well :lol2: Roger "Rsquared" has a sweet 450EXC. He made everything look annoyingly easy :doh:

:tab Looks like a great time! :clap:

Oh yeah, Epic day, not TAR...

Found my GPS over lunch, yay! It was in my DS helmet, which hadn't been touched since I got home. So I'll post up some tracks and try to figure out how to post videos to liven things up a bit...

Yes, the guy in red is taking jumps with about 15 beers in the saddle bags. He's old school. Always talks about how he almost beat Dick Mann in some race that was before we were all born.

Yes, the guy in red is taking jumps with about 15 beers in the saddle bags. He's old school. Always talks about how he almost beat Dick Mann in some race that was before we were all born.

:lol2::lol2:

Andrew was that the # 6 trail in WPG?

Wow Gary off the front at 3:05!

Last edited:
Back