• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Times (Ton's of Pics - Report Complete)

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
James
I am so excited! Today while at work at the Big Orange Box (The home Depot) it was all I could do to keep my mind on the business at hand. Jamie and I are meeting STCPO and his wife tomorrow at 5AM, and we are headed out to beautiful Colorado, for some great roads and camping fun. We are going to camp in Gunnison Colorado. The weather will be very cool at night, but after the start of the Texas summer we are going to enjoy the coolness.

We are packed up and ready to hit the road. The Bike is loaded and all fueled so all we need now is a good nights rest before hitting the road. I am always amazed at home much stuff can be packed on a bike. We will be gone for 7 days. Here is my check list for the trip. Tools and pumps are not included in this list.

896807427_E8FSQ-M.jpg

Last night we went to the MNG and had the bikes loaded down. Everything rode well and it seems that we have the suspension set correctly. It is loaded down, but felt fine going down the rode.

897033174_qQQUu-M.jpg

So stay tuned. We will try and post pictures from the trip everyday. that might not work out but we are going to try and make it happen. We will also post on our facebook page as well.

Let's Ride!

897033498_ddjgU-M.jpg

Re: Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Times

Have a safe and enjoyable ride! Thanks for posting your items check list - it helps with my own planning. Looking forward to reading your updates.

Looking forward to your trip unfolding here. Be safe and enjoy the lower temps.

Hey Jerry,
If you're not gone yet and still montioring... one of my FAV paces to eat is in Gunny Colorado! Garlic Mikes

http://www.garlicmikes.com/

They have seating outside that's next to the river and the food and the atmosphere are wonderful!

On CO135 just outside of town... on the road that goes to Crested Butte.

I love that area. Visited often when I lived in the Springs and still visit often.

I'm jealous... have FUN!

Yeehaw - I think we might just give that a try. Thanks!

Also take a ride into Crested Butte and check out "The Secret Stash" for a very eclectic Pizza restaurant. If you want an adult beverage...probably not if you are on bikes, but...stop by "Talk of the Town" in CB and ask for Joel and tell him Jasen sent ya. He'll take good care of you.

900763597_JaeVD-M.jpg

What a fantastic trip so far. We have dodged all of the rain and have had a great ride so far. the highlight has to be CO 149 so far. If you have not been on this road, it is a must do. Here are just a few pics of the past two days. We have better wi fi at this campground so I will post more later.. it is time to ride again.. Independence Pass, Carbondale, Glen wood springs.. whoo hoo..

900760403_Krtbu-M.jpg

900763095_trB4x-M.jpg

900761552_CE4Fu-M.jpg

900764675_e6cdJ-M.jpg

900765183_nqkip-M.jpg

That is a great area. I'm totally envious. :popcorn:

902127131_9y2vu-M.jpg

What a great day of riding. We woke up to a chilly morning, missed all of the rain. Got snowed on and just had a wonderful day of riding. We are headed out to ride 141 today and enjoy some more of the beautiful scenery that is Colorado.

PS. Woke up this morning to a brisk 35 degrees.. life is good!:clap:

Here are some images from yesterday;

902126846_j84wG-M.jpg

902127685_vJKoV-M.jpg

902126936_BDkv3-M.jpg

902127479_VBzmr-M.jpg

Wait Wait Wait..... There is no way a Dodge Durango can out run a motorcycle :mrgreen: You guys must have felt sorry for him and stopped.

Todd

Colorado is very hard to beat for a great ride, coolness :-)

June 12 - Day #1
McKinney Texas - Raton New Mexico
Miles 574

The day had finally arrived. Jamie and I had decided to get to bed early. We hit the sack around 10PM. We were both so excited that I don't think either one of us really slept until after 11PM.

The alarm went off Saturday morning at 4AM. We were meeting Pete & Kim Russo at the Home Depot in McKinney at 5AM. It was supposed to be a warm day and we wanted to beat the heat. We we both excited and had no issue getting to the starting point at the correct time. Pete & Kim were already on site. Everyone had huge smiles on their face. We had been planning this trip for weeks. we were ready to roll.

907581715_nVusu-M.jpg

We had decided that we would just slab it out of Texas, getting to Raton as soon as possible. There is not really a pretty way to get out of town. We stopped in Wichita Falls at the Cracker Barrel. Nothing tastes better than a CB breakfast on a road trip.

907765383_JwFG4-M.jpg

Nothing really exciting happened on our way to Amarillo. We would ride for 70-100 miles and then take a break. We arrived in Amarillo around 12:45PM. There was a little event that almost happened that I would have never been able to live down. Jamie asked if we should get gas in Amarillo. I said that we could fuel up later as there would be many places to fuel up.. well I was not really correct in that statement. We took US 385 from Amarillo up thru Channing, Hartley and Dalhart. I figured that we could get gas in Channing.. WRONG! So now I have been on reserve for a few miles. We roll into Hartley and there is only a coop station, with no one working and only 87 grade fuel. I had to put in a gallon as I was almost empty. Jamie just looked at me and smiled, she never said it, but I know the words I told you so were on her lips.

907582017_QpiyB-M.jpg

907727772_CG558-M.jpg

We fueled up in DalHart and then hit the road again. Looking into the horizon the skies were really cloudy and getting dark. It looked like we might be getting some rain. We rolled into New Mexico and after a few shots at the border we headed for Raton. We got into town around 4:30PM. We were staying at the Summerlin RV park and our GPS took us to the wrong place, after a quick phone call and some directions we were sitting in the camp ground.

907582830_Q9Dhz-M.jpg

907582744_Knu6j-M.jpg

907785390_xfNks-M.jpg

We were so lucky with the weather. The 40 miles outside Raton were very ominous, the skies were dark and we road along wet roads for most of those miles. It never rained on us and we enjoyed the overcast cool temps on the last leg to our camp ground.

While setting up our tents we came across a little snake. We placed him back in the bushes and moved on with setting the tents up. We headed to dinner at the Oasis in Raton. We pulled into the lot and the ground was very wet. I was putting the C-14 on the center stand when we almost had our first disaster of the trip. My foot slipped off the stand and the bike started to fall away from me. Jamie was standing on the other side of the bike and actually threw herself under the bike and kept it from falling. Super Jamie was AWESOME. Pete and Kim watched in amazement as we got the bike upright without any damage to the bike or to us. It was a great day!

907583579_E4FKR-M.jpg

When we got back to the camp site we were exhausted. As we were hanging out getting ready to hit the sack, Pete walked across the camp ground and stepped on the snake that we had let go earlier that afternoon. Pete jumped like a little girl and squealed, I laughed my *** off as I ran away under the canopy. We are not the most manly of men around the little forked tongue devil.

We got rid of the snake (killed it with a hatchet) as we did not want to girls to be afraid during the night. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

907737692_tYps4-M.jpg

The first day was awesome. We did not get rained on, we made great time and nothing bad happened. The weather was great on the first night. The temp was a good 45 degrees. We had a wonderful day and we all knew that the trip was only going to get better and better! Here are a few more pics from the day.

907790355_bbEfC-M.jpg

907733691_vSvVs-M.jpg

907582388_KKoQN-M.jpg

907771081_Gve8g-M.jpg

I will write day two as soon as possible. Stay tuned.

Re: Day 2 UPDATED! - Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Times

June 13th - Day #2
Raton New Mexico to Gunnison Colorado
349 Miles

We woke up to an overcast morning in Raton. The temperature was very nice hovering in the mid 40's. I slept great and was up before everyone else. I decided to enjoy the smell of clean air. Nothing beat waking up in a tent and enjoying the smells of the great outdoors.

907583663_C6Nma-M.jpg

907583823_F3r5S-M.jpg

907584254_LBKcv-M.jpg

Everyone started getting up and mulling around somewhere around 7AM. Everyone was excited, ready to ride NM and CO. We closed up camp and jumped on the bikes headed for the Enchanted Circle. US 64 is a pretty remote stretch of road and it was pretty boring but the mountains in the horizon was calling our names. It sure made every mile easier to ride as the thought of cooler temps, fresh mountain air and breakfast was on our minds. That stretch is a tad scary from time to time as it is open range and there are many little critters eating and hanging out. The good news is they are comfortable with traffic and never made a move.

907585686_Pcvfs-M.jpg

907584950_jGCJR-M.jpg

907585880_MYoem-M.jpg

I have always loved that feeling of riding in the mountains. I grew up riding in NM so I have been spoiled. My father and I would ride these mountains for breakfast rides on Sundays; love the fresh air and the views around every corner. Mountain twisties are the best! We rode into Eagles Nest NM. It is so cool when you round the corner and see the big lake. It finally becomes a reality. We will be riding roads with these views and twists for the next 5 days.. Yeah baby! We were starving, so when the Cowboy cafe came into view, we pulled in without hesitation. The food was great. The guy behind the counter was a tad rude, but we did not care. We were on vacation.

907586235_kgeQp-M.jpg

907586697_8HCGQ-M.jpg

907586949_bpGRG-M.jpg

907587352_gXAbW-M.jpg

We headed out to NM 38, this stretch of road is called the Enchanted Circle. The roads are great and the views spectacular. We cruised thru Red River and Questa before jumping on 522. This is not the best road as there is not much out there, but it was the fastest way to our goal. We stopped at the Colorado sign to snap a few pictures. We rolled in Alamosa CO and decided to fuel up. This is a small town, but **** it was noisy! Car alarms, loud pipes and cars honking their horns. It was maddening and really made it easy to leave town. The first gem of a road you come to is CO149. This stretch is one of my all time favorites in Colorado. We enjoyed the roads and the breath taking views.

907941655_giuHX-M.jpg

907593079_ytJAm-M.jpg

900762132_AFQFq-M.jpg

907595730_F7Tx9-M.jpg

900763095_trB4x-M.jpg

We were introduced to the local law enforcement at the top of Slumgullion Pass (11,530FT) We passed a local sheriff on the way up the pass and actually thought he was going to leave us alone, until we pulled into a look out to put on gloves and take some pictures. He rolled up, lights in all of their glory. He got out, said he clocked us going a little to fast (15 over) and wanted to see our information. It was freezing at the top of the pass. He ran us and when he returned, said it was too cold to stand their to fill out the paper work. He let us off with a warning. He said he rode and understood the appeal to this area. He explained that the road tightens up and that we needed to be careful. It was a great warning as the road does get tighter. I really enjoyed the ride that day. it is so beautiful, so colorful.

907912366_Xyong-M.jpg

908091355_bBHGU-M.jpg

908115298_Uk98M-M.jpg

We dropped down into Crede Co and had a piece of pie. The cute girl taking car of us, was very nice. Come to find out she had just moved back to Crede and she mentioned that her mom was the Mayor of the city. We were being served by royalty. Crede is a great town. We also spoke with a guy from Vermont on a Suzuki 400 (I think). It had BMW badges on the side. All he had was a backpack, a sleeping bay and some little roll. He seemed nice enough. If you make it to Crede please make sure to stop into Kips Grill. The pie was awesome.

907597368_XhZPR-M.jpg

907597952_odBmC-M.jpg

Kim thought she needed something a tad stiffer. Not really, they served the water in these old bottles.

907598049_9PS35-M.jpg

907598340_ahAwo-M.jpg

907598444_7D8wr-M.jpg

The last bit of the ride into Gunnison was very enjoyable. We were ready to check in and get our camp set up. It looked like it could rain, but again we seemed to dodge it all. We set up camp and actually ordered take out pizza from town. We were roughing it. We had dinner and then passed out. it had been a long day. Were were here and everyone was safe and sound. Tomorrow we will explore more of the Colorado beauty.

The picture below is one of my favorites from 149. It will make for a great desktop image for Pete and Kim.

900765183_nqkip-M.jpg

Re: Day 2 UPDATED! - Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Times

Oh man, I love this stuff! :clap:

:popcorn:

Re: Day #3 Added! Tons of Pics - Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Times

June 14th - Day #3
Gunnison Co - Independence Pass Loop
324 Miles

Last night was COLD!!..brrrrrr

We woke up to a nice chilly 34 degrees this fine morning. we were both cold thru out the night. It rained a little which did not help. We crawled out of the tent and as many of you know, leaving a tent to crawl out into the cold is not the most appealing thing at 7 in the morning.

907603404_r4XsU-M.jpg

907603693_D3ikC-M.jpg

I was excited about today's loop. Pete & Kim have never been up to Colorado. I remember the first time I saw Independence pass (IP) and the rest of this loop. I was hoping they would be as excited as I was the first time. It is really hard to explain how majestic these 12,000 to 14,000 foot peaks just appear. It is awesome! As we were heading for IP the weather looked pretty good. We heard that they had some snow a few days back, so we were not really worried about the roads. It started off on a little bad note as I got lost leaving Gunnison. It seems like the Garmin hates routes that make a complete loop. It sent me one direction and said that we had arrived... WTH?? We had not even started yet. We opened up the net book and got on our way.

907604081_h22yo-M.jpg

We started the climb and the views were spectacular! I never get tired of riding these mountain roads. Our first stop was Monarch Pass. It was getting colder as we reached this little pass (only 11,000 feet)

907604581_wka5C-M.jpg

907604645_RP9Cv-M.jpg

907605023_gGgpZ-M.jpg

908158336_Y3vu7-M.jpg

908230388_7eLgH-M.jpg

We descended down the pass and noticed that the weather towards IP looked a tad menacing. We stopped at a place to get our bigger gloves on. I love the climbs over these passes. Makes for some great riding. It was a little chilly, but with all the gear on we were good. I love all of the Grand views.

908232807_r7Mjj-M.jpg

908247443_dipbk-M.jpg

908250795_cRdRB-M.jpg

908258267_x3d6j-M.jpg

As we started the climb up IP we noticed that the temp started to fall dramatically. By the time we reached the top it was snowing! Not just flakes, but real honest to goodness snow storm flurries. It got worse and worse, the longer we stayed up there. We decided that we needed to get off the mountain before it got really bad. Well it was too late. There were times going down from the top where you could not see 10-15 feet in front of the bike. My face shield started to get iced over. It was down right COLD! The road up there is very narrow so that did not help our plight. We made it down and when we stopped we were all smiles! How often do you get say we road in a snow storm.. cool stuff!

908259426_ujqKM-M.jpg

908262248_Fukd8-M.jpg

907617727_LFegY-M.jpg

907619930_HPo3n-M.jpg

908179840_NwLX7-M.jpg

908281514_yUa5i-M.jpg

We took our time getting off the hill and then rolled into Aspen for fuel. I have never gotten the appeal of that city. Too many people, cars and way to expensive! We paid almost $4 a gallon for fuel. We boogied out of town and headed for Carbondale.

908301911_D5TVU-M.jpg

908321667_DDDtt-M.jpg

908315264_roXUh-M.jpg

As much as I dislike Aspen, I love Carbondale. Just a very cool place. We stopped off and had lunch. The conversation was all good and the smiles were large as we all relived the passed 3 hours. We had a great slice of Pizza. We wanted to eat at the Village Smithy, but we got to town too late.

907622178_6z6iv-M.jpg

908185855_YQioq-M.jpg

The ride from Carbondale on HWY 133 is one of my favorites. It follows the river and the sweepers are perfect for some high speed sport touring.

907622272_pwzXa-M.jpg

907622359_nziZN-M.jpg

907622736_ntJet-M.jpg

I know I keep saying this, but another great stretch of road and one of my all time favorites is CO92. It goes down thru the Black Canyon in Gunnison and is another spectacular ride. We hit the fun stuff a little too late in the day and had to really be careful as the deer were out in force. Now these are not those small Texas deer we are used to. These things were huge and I did not want to see how a Deer vs. Concours duel would play out. We would ride this road three times in the next couple of days so we would have another chance to push it thru the fun stuff at a more safe time and place.

908328838_XQLmv-M.jpg

907625557_ZDMog-M.jpg

907625259_RpM63-M.jpg

The views are wonderful and with the sun starting to set we decided to stop at a lookout and get some group pictures. A nice young couple was there when we pulled in. They offered to take some pictures of the four of us. After a quick lesson on the finer points of the point and shoot camera we have, he informed us that he was a professional photo dude.. doh! I guess my tips probably did not help him. it was all good as he got some great shots of the group. it is hard finding pictures with all of us in them.

902127131_9y2vu-M.jpg

902127479_VBzmr-M.jpg

907626689_DdCQT-M.jpg

908213115_Aa3QW-M.jpg

907631105_3vwbw-M.jpg

It was getting late so we needed to high tail it back to camp. We did make a quick stop at family dollar for a few quick snacks. We were not really hungry, but wanted something to get us thru the evening. Nothing but the best on our trips!

907631575_huh9m-M.jpg

907631850_XGrha-M.jpg

908330586_TrReH-M.jpg

What another day of great riding. We hung out by the fire the rest of the night. We even enjoyed some cobbler that Pete made over the fire. Yummy stuff! The evening was chilly, but you could tell that it would not be as cold over night as the previous evening. We all hit the sack pretty early. I tell you what... it is going to be hard to beat this day of riding!

908340029_uWZbP-M.jpg

I will leave you with a couple of my favorite shots of the day. Thanks Kim for getting these.

908337988_KkDRP-M.jpg

908338666_TDjSV-M.jpg

Re: Day #3 Added! Tons of Pics - Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Times

Hey..that's not cobbler in that picture that is stew I heated for a snack :)

Here are the cobbler photos. What a great trip this was!

Homemade oven cooking the cherry cobbler
908831330_yfgKa-M.jpg

The finished result
908831644_YUiPK-M.jpg

When are we going again?

It sure did taste good!

Great report! :popcorn:

:clap: great report so far!!!

Thanks for a very enjoyable read. You people who take these epic motorcycle trips through rain and snow, all the while sleeping on the hard ground and freezing in tents by the roadside all night, well, you're certainly an admirable breed.

This is a great read. Really enjoyed it so far. I'd forgot how late in the season the snow can continue at those altitudes. Pretty crazy. Makes riding in the rain look like childs play.

Re: Updated with Day #4 - Tons of Pics - Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Ti

June 15th - Day #4
Gunnison Co - Gateway Loop.
397 Miles

Last night was another chilly evening. Jamie and I slept in our riding liners and stayed pretty warm, but make no mistake.. that late night potty break was a chilly encounter.

We woke up around 7AM to the birds singing and a nice cool breeze blowing. We got together and loaded up for the short 2 mile ride to our breakfast location. We found the greatest little coffee and Bakery in Gunnison. The place was very laid back and had free wifi so it made for a great start to the morning. I wish we had The Bean here in North Texas.

908519658_9bfUZ-M.jpg

908668827_GdKSC-M.jpg

This morning route was a new one for me. I had never been on this side of Colorado. We were shooting up to Grand Junction to the BMW/Harley Dealership and then head down Co 141. A friend of mine (Thanks Tom) had mentioned to me a few years ago that we needed to do this road if we were in the area. I was a tad concerned as this part of Colorado seems very dry, barren and not very Colorado like. We headed out and I was spot on for the beginning of the ride. It is not the green lush mountain area like the Colorado we all love, but it does have it's own beauty. We made a quick stop in Montrose at the Davis power center to pick Pete up some coolant. He had a few drops under his bike at breakfast, but after we ought this the issue never came back. I am sure it had something to do with the very cool temps we encountered in Gunnison. It was a nice dealership. Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda and KTM under one roof.

907634445_ZCN4H-M.jpg

907635337_drrpH-M.jpg

We rolled into Grand Junction and found the dealership. It was a strange combo, but a nice dealership none the less. We met Sam who was the sale manager for the BMW side. We found out that they sale 80% GS's and then 20% of everything else. That made sense as he was in the middle of some great dual sport riding. We hung out, bought a few things and then headed out for 141. They did have cool custom painted toilet seats.. Just sayin

907636469_FqfLS-M.jpg

908677714_SqfPC-M.jpg

908700883_qusCJ-M.jpg

907636591_s2Epi-M.jpg

907636708_Hevkn-M.jpg

141 was AMAZING! The view was spectacular, The roads were flawless and maybe the best thing about the entire strip of tarmac was the lack of people and cars. It was awesome! I would have never expected to see the types of terrain that we would encounter for the next 3 hours. It was an oasis out in the middle of no where. great stuff. I caught myself having to be careful. I wanted to ride faster as the twisties were great, but then I caught myself drifting around as I turned my head to enjoy all of the views. Visual stunning comes to mind. Great stuff.

907638098_2UGRc-M.jpg

907638888_398yr-M.jpg

907640821_qeoKB-M.jpg

907643338_k4VjX-M.jpg

907641409_HSnNt-M.jpg

When we collect ourselves and slice thru a left hander we are greeted by the oasis that is called gateway. Out in the middle of no where this beautiful resort pops up. It is owned by the guy who owns the discovery channel. The resort is beautiful. It is a Spa / Resort with horseback riding a world class car collection and some pretty good food. Oh yeah and they have fuel! Not a bad combo. We pulled in and gassed up and grabbed a bite to eat. It reminded me of some of the places around sedona AZ. Just beautiful!

907643859_kT2EN-M.jpg

908527783_8yBSQ-M.jpg

908537159_y3iCD-M.jpg

907648532_Kqw7j-M.jpg

907649411_NSe5X-M.jpg

907649190_Qngw9-M.jpg

907649745_ZqrBT-M.jpg

908581727_32Npv-M.jpg

908585261_bMXSN-M.jpg

908719882_2kB7D-M.jpg

With our bellies full we decided to head out and enjoy more of the desert like beauty we had come to love for the past hour or so. As we left the gateway oasis, it was very apparent that the scenery would be changing yet again. It got greener and greener the further we rode. We followed the Delores river for many miles. I can't say it enough. This was a great day of rising. Co 141 was becoming one of my favorites.

908630114_RxMNJ-M.jpg

908729347_28z9K-M.jpg

907652559_HJ8Ni-M.jpg

907652770_vm3Dj-M.jpg

907652997_s2gvP-M.jpg

907653454_jVfec-M.jpg

907653112_9Wix7-M.jpg

It was starting to get later in the afternoon and we still had 150 miles to get back to camp. We were on CO 145 when we came up on the first car we had seen in ages.. The bad news was the car was being driven by a Colorado State Trooper, sporting a radar gun. He swung a U and caught up to us pretty quickly. We pulled over. I could not believe that he had stopped us. We were going 71 in a 65. Or were we? I was later informed that we were going 71 in a 55. The performance award cost us $169..uugh! The trooper was a redass and not a very nice guy. It still kills me that he wrote us. We were out in the middle of no where and he writes us for that. Oh well. I guess that is the price to pay for some great riding.

907653985_pHKsd-M.jpg

908801444_kyVja-M.jpg

908802729_RLhwr-M.jpg

908813451_dEpuM-M.jpg

907654892_RjVc4-M.jpg

907655352_WEDEE-M.jpg

907655902_ftifS-M.jpg

907656467_b8oyG-M.jpg

We rode back to camp, making sure that we did not get to speak to anymore of the law enforcement protecting the fine people of Colorado. We got back to camp before the sun set. The last 10 miles was stunning as the sun was dropping and the clouds were beautiful. We got back to camp, got the fire burning and did some laundry. We laughed and enjoyed each others company while relaxing and telling stories by the fire. We could already tell that the evening fast approaching would not be nearly as cold as the two previous nights. I know when I laid down to sleep I had great visions of our day. Colorado sure is a beautiful place!

907667425_tARYo-M.jpg

907668125_nNkff-M.jpg

907667999_jAqvS-M.jpg

Re: Updated with Day #4 - Tons of Pics - Colorado + Camping + Good Friends = Great Ti

Makes the weather here seem cooler just reading about the trip. Thanks!

Back