• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run VII: Pie-liness is next to Godleyness: Godley, 7/31

I left Austin around 6:30am, rode up on state roads via the west border of Fort Hood. This part of the ride up was a lot fun, very cool and comfortable.

I enjoyed the actual meetup a lot. It was great to see so many bikes, especially the large pack of FJRs that showed up.

The ride back was not fun, it was very hot. I stopped about every 40-50 miles to go into a fast food place to get a drink and cool off.

4848482674_c7d859faf8.jpg

4847861703_0350b8ac58.jpg

4848483084_c8f3d67687.jpg

SPOT track

You're :welcome: anytime! :rider:

Total round trip was 320 miles which is the farthest for me so far. The ride there was nice but the ride back was way too hot. I also need a better seat. :eek2:

Also thanks to the group out of Georgetown for allowing me to ride with them.

You're :welcome: anytime! :rider:

Total round trip was 320 miles which is the farthest for me so far. The ride there was nice but the ride back was way too hot. I also need a better seat. :eek2:

I ended up with around 350 miles. Standing up on the pegs sure helps! The ice cubes in the clothing seemed to last about 50 miles. :)

Now, where are those cooling vests everyone boast about?

RB

Yup, I'd prefer way colder myself, but hey, I goes on the runs I can goes on. :)

Cooling vests can be purchased at most any gear shop.

Chuck... Thanks for organizing a great run out of Arlington and the Pie Run as a whole. Great morning with lots of bikes to look at and great conversation. Sat with Scott, One Wolf, and Carlos. Enjoyed some chicken fried steak, and buttermilk pie.

Here is a photo from 917 following Tortuga, and Chuck with many others ahead of them. I was probably middle of the pack. Lots of riders.

Pierun.png

My first Pie Run, but certainly not my last! Good food, great pie, and fun folks all made for a great experience. I'll take a cooler next time so I can haul a German Chocolate Creme Pie home.

Really good seeing some old riding buds and making some new friends too. ~Jeff

954069617_ShbEQ-L.jpg

954069387_w5qEA-L.jpg

I had a funeral to go to at 1:00pm so I actually arrived and had to head back out. In the pics above I'm on the busa on the left facing the camera. I know FWMR came in with 18 in one group, and 4 in another. I didn't get my pie, so I'll be headed back there soon to try it out! Looking foward to the next one! Hope all made it home safely

Now, where are those cooling vests everyone boast about?
Instead of a cooling vest (iffy performance in high humidity conditions) may I suggest you look into some LDComfort clothing? There is a very good discussion of the product HERE. I obtained a set just prior to my Utah trip and now I won't wear anything else under my gear.

way bigger turn out than I expected considering that Godley is (just) outside the triangle.

was a long ride for me, totaled 10 miles round trip from the house!! :lol2:

Cleburne international airport was having a fly-in party to celebrate the opening of the new state of the art self serve fuel system, so I swung by there before heading to Godley.

008.jpg

025.jpg

043.jpg

OK...... who flew the Hind in??

There is a Russian Tri-motor at a guys house on 916 between Grandview and Maypearl, but this is first time I seen a roosky helo in these parts! :eek2:

Just pulled the Tiger in the garage 31 hours after hitting the road fo Godley. Will post pictures later. Enjoyed the ride up, the ride around Lake Whitney and the trip home. Was glad to get back to some humidity so I could sweat a little. It was hot up that way but was having a little trouble working up a good sweat. I show 489 miles on my bike.

***Forgot the battery in the GPS had died and didn't track all of Saturday's ride, checked the Trip Odometer...525.3 Miles for the chance to eat a piece of pie. ***
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just an indicator that you weren't hydrating enough. :sun:

Nope, hydrating good. Just so dang dry that it evaporated before it did any good in soaking the shirt for the extra cooling the wet T-Shirt offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, hydrating good. Just so dang dry that it evaporated before it did any good in soaking the shirt for the extra cooling the wet T-Shirt offers.
Another benefit of the LDComfort. When the humidity drops under 10 percent I just soak the shirt (turtleneck with long sleeves) and keep on riding.

Yeah, I know... I sound like a broken record. ;-)

As Rich pointed out in the parking lot, it's amazing how many people will turn out in the heat but won't ride in the cold or rain.

Give me the freezing cold and monsoon rains anytime. :rider:

:tab The very first Pie Run in Hico was in January, and it was raining and in the low 40's. We had somewhere around 110-120 bikes/people if I recall correctly. The Fifth Anniversary meet in Hico this past January was in the upper 20's!! Nonetheless, we still had a good 80-90 bikes show up and people stayed in the parking lot afterward while we tried like crazy to get rid of lots of prizes and some free chain lube. Seemed like every name we drew belonged to a shaftie :doh: :lol2:

It was a great day for riding. I ended up with about 350 miles for the total trip. i wanted to thank Musicman, Sharkey and everyone else for making me feel welcome. This was my second run, and except for the heat on the way home, every aspect was great. You guys are good folks!

Also thanks to everyone at the Chisholm for hosting us and serving up some great food and pie.

It was a fun one. That phase change vest is a keeper for sure, but I just wish it were easier to recharge on longer rides.

Wow!! had a great time gettin Pie. 545 miles on the odometer. Godley, Lake Whitney, Waco, and then some out of the way place for pizza place for dinner thanks to Tonies son Alex and his college roomates. Great weekend !

OK, I'll start with the bunch that started in SW Arlington.

Amanda (cwadej's better half) with daughter "Stevie"

d70_8369q.jpg

Chris (cwadej) and daughter Lori

d70_8370q.jpg

They just finished a 10 day MC trip up and around Arkansas and also included their other daughter (Chris is out-numbered). Amanda's FZ1 has a sidecar for that.

d70_8371cq.jpg

Morg (Morgan Buchanan)

d70_8372cq.jpg

Some of the folks I have already forgotten the names for :doh:
(It usually takes 3 or 4 times to meet them as "new") :shrug:

d70_8374cq.jpg

d70_8375cq.jpg

Sean (Xdriver) on the right and a friend that he brought along

d70_8376cq.jpg

Justin (MusicMan754) and Paula (songstress)

d70_8377cq.jpg

We had several 2-up teams today.

d70_8378q.jpg

d70_8379q.jpg

3 generations here:

d70_8380cq.jpg

Chris (sharkey) and Marcy (center) rolled in just at the last mibute. I talked Chris into leading the group.

d70_8381cq.jpg

We had 14 bikes with the majority of them 2-up when we left the old Minyards parking lot. We picked up Steve (On-Off) in Mansfield at a 4-way stop :loco: on FM917.

A lot of folks coming from the north and east chose 917 to get to Godley. It was in good shape and offers the best curves this close to the DFW metromess.

Last edited:
We were early getting to Godley, about 10:15, but were not the first ones there.

There were still some trucks from the breakfast/brunch crowd:

d70_8382q.jpg

We set up the banner but it soon was buried by other bikes. Now, how often do you see a purple Moto-Guzzi?

d70_8383q.jpg

d70_8384q.jpg

A familiar face from Fort Worth - Ed (dualsportrider)

d70_8385q.jpg

The first of a bunch of Burgman riders

d70_8386cq.jpg

A bunch of sport touring bikes, too

d70_8387q.jpg

d70_8388q.jpg

d70_8389q.jpg

more...

d70_8390cq.jpg

Had I known that Hind was there I would have diverted to see it for sure.

not 100% sure, but I think it's based out of the Cold Ware Air Museum at the Lancaster airport. It has a Bulgarian roundel. They've got another Hind, a MIG 23, Huey, some Chinese prop and a MIG 21. It's a "working" museum, meaning the goal is making them airworthy, not necessarily "pretty"

Back