• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good-Old-Days Syndrome: I Has It

:tab A trip back to the days of 6th grade in the mountains of NE Alabama...

http://sfriday.com/EASTRALY01/report2.htm

:tab And a more recent trip back to 1st - 4th grade in Copperas Cove,

http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021

:tab My "cruisin" days were spent in Alvin, cruising up and down the main drag between Sonic and Jack-in-the-Box. The local ladies knew what nerds we were, so we always hoped to meet the ones in town from Pearland... They weren't fooled :doh: I never could figure out why the came to Alvin to cruise :shrug: These were the days of the first "Monster" trucks that the redneck crowd would jack up sky high and mount swamper tires on them.

:tab I go back to Alvin occasionally because my in-laws still live there. Nothing is the same. The high school campus has been radically transformed. What had once been a sprawling campus with big beautiful live oaks and numerous buildings has been converted into a modern encampment... The buildings are ugly and the students contained... We used to be able to leave campus for lunch, now they can't. I kind of hate going back because it feels like being personally violated when all the places with such great memories have changed.

:tab Time is a strange thing and I don't think our minds ever really come to terms with it.

I'm always reminded of Jimmy Buffett's "Wonder Why You Ever Go Home"...

Years grow shorter, not longer
The more you've been on your own
Feelings for moving grow stronger
So you wonder why you ever go home
Wonder why you ever go home

People are movin' so quickly
Humor's in need of repair
Same occupations and same obligations
They've really got nothing to share
Like drivin' around with no spare

River gets deeper not shallow
The further you move down the stream
Wonderin' if I can keep her
As I race to catch up with my dreams
How they shine and glitter and gleam

Years grow shorter, not longer
The more you've been on your own
Feelings for moving grow stronger
So you wonder why you ever go home
Wonder why you ever go home
You wonder why you ever go home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIdnzvXrOtk&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
I now have new quote for my signature.

:lol2:

:tab I feel honored :-P

:tab Being close to my mid 40's, I guess it is just the age thing. I started my midlife crisis back in my late 20's and I don't know that I've gotten beyond it just yet. In the last few years in particular I have really been spending a LOT of time thinking about time. Our life spans are just a flash in the pan even if we live to be a hundred. It seems like every day lately something happens that rubs in this reality. Then I get to thinking about what I do with my time and who I spend it with. It doesn't help having kids and seeing how fast they grow up, a thing I used to hear all the time from other people and just dismiss with hardly any thought.

:tab I think deep down, our minds just recoil at the notion that time is always slipping away from us and we can never get it back. How people think about time can have a profound impact on their lives. When we were young, we literally felt immortal. Years seemed long, the passage of time something we could not wait to see happen so we could get on to newer and better things. We grow older, the years seem to slip away almost without notice, at times blending together and making it hard to keep our memories in order. Our bodies betray us. Our mortality demands our respect. We no longer take the future for granted, realizing we could slip away at a moment without any notice. We cling to those things from the past, like places and events, because they anchor us. When they change, we feel as if we've been set adrift in the raging river of time. Priorities and values change. What once seemed of paramount importance can now seem like a banal triviality, leaving us wondering how we could have ever thought that way. When I think of things like this, I wonder how I might view my current time in life, my values and my priorities when looking back from 60, 70, or 80, if I am lucky enough to reach such ages.

:tab There is a rich irony here though. The more we come face to face with our mortality, the more we realize what it means to be truly alive. Of late I have been wanting to spend some time with some of the older people I know, folks well into their 80's, and just talk with them about their views on life and death. I guess that might sound morbid in a way, but it is not because I am worried about dying, but just because I think I could learn a lot from them. One thing I have learned though is that there are just some things you can never learn until you experience them. All the good advice in the world, even for a willing student, can't replace that experience. The passage of time reveals secrets of life to us even as it steadily takes life from us.

:tab Yeah... time is a strange thing... :ponder:

Time is a fleeting thing. Scott, your comments on spending time with the older folks is a wise one. I seem to be a bit older than most here (56), grew up north of Tyler in Swan, and literally was so poor that my cruising was from home to school to Brookshire's Grocery to work and back home. We buried my Mom last year just a month before her 95th birthday. Something we did a few years before when she was still lucid was to take a video camera and video the kids for a while and then set it up and tell her it was off. We would then get her to talking about her growing up, family etc. Precious memories. Also, I highly recommend sitting down with family pictures while you can and write down peoples names on them...we have pictures from back in the 30' to 50's that no one knows whom they are.
You may think that you lead a pretty uneventful life but someone thinks otherwise and wants to know about it.

Things are even more different for me. Typically, when people say, “You can’t go home again” it’s a metaphorical statement referring to the very phenomena that Tim and others have been describing. But as a military brat, it’s much more literal for me.

Growing up on Air Force bases in the ‘60s and early ‘70s was much different than the current military atmosphere. I spent my high school years in Germany, first in Wiesbaden and later at Ramstein when HQ USAFE moved from Lindsay Air Station to Ramstein AFB. We did have some problems with the Baader-Meinhof gang and a few other wannabes blowing up American installations in the early ‘70s, but even then, in the middle of the Cold War, there wasn’t the same atmosphere of tight security and fear of terrorism that you see now.

In Wiesbaden we lived on the economy in Wiesbaden-Bierstadt rather than in base housing. But even so, I remember things being more open. The Crestview and Aukamm housing areas were completely open and unguarded, as was the entire Hainerberg area which included not only housing, but a chapel, two or three schools, a movie theater, the BX, the commissary, the American Express, and a bunch of other stuff. No fences, no gates, no guards, no nothing.

Ramstein wasn’t a lot different. We did live on the base there. There was more of a show of security there, but everybody knew it was a joke. There were fences and gate guards at the two main gates, but many other ways in and out. There wasn’t a road, but there was a regular gate right around the corner from our building where people (mostly maids) walked in and out from Ramstein village. There were at least two others that I’m aware of over on the other side in the NCO housing. Practically across the street from where I lived there was a section of fence missing that was big enough to put a two-lane road through – and in fact, there was a dirt road that went right along the fence, so anybody could easily drive on or off base without any control at all. There were several similar sections of downed or missing fence over by the NCO housing as well.

Ramstein didn’t have a high school back then, so we all went to Kaiserslautern American High School. Just like Hainerberg in Wiesbaden, the entire Vogelweh area was open. You needed a military ID to get into the PX or commissary, to buy movie tickets, and things like that, but anybody could drive in and go where they wanted.

There’s a growing awareness of issues surrounding growing up in the military. One thing we all have in common is a lack of a “home”. When asked where we’re from, most will answer, “nowhere” or maybe, “everywhere”. I can identify with that. I usually say, “nowhere”. But I spent my high school years in Germany and even after all these years, Germany seems more like “home” than anywhere else. The “can’t go home” thing really hit me the last time I was in Germany. I tried to get onto the base at Ramstein. I’m obviously an American and I was just wanting to go to the American Express. No dice. No military ID, no entry. Period. So in my case it's not just that things have changed. In my case, I really can’t go back.

[ime is a strange thing and I don't think our minds ever really come to terms with it.[/QUOTE]
-------------
Ah Father Time!
Turned 53 last week. While dining out last evening with the family my Grand daughter remind me that she started the 7th grade. Holy cow.
Yes I have recently figured out that the same memory can seem like forever & yesterday all @ the same time. I love life!
Last year I Dual Sported to the old house I grew up in that my dad built on 10acres in Big Woods Louisiana in the early 1960's. Rode slow down the long, long drive way. No one was home. I looked around a bit & could swear I heard my dad yelling at me to come in, it was getting dark. Wow what a feeling.

:tab Lee, I understand what you mean about not having a place to call home. I was an Army brat. I have no friends from about 7th grade back. Dad was rifted in '78 in the post Vietnam downsizing. I was 12 at the time. So I did at least do Jr. High and High School in the same town. However, at that age, you will never be thought of as anything as other than a "new guy" even after living there for six years. Most of my friends were also kids that had moved around a lot and were considered "outsiders" relative to the local groups of kids. I think the experience of moving a lot really helped me develop the confidence to go out and make new friends and to deal with a wide variety of people/personalities. When you only lived somewhere for a year, you had to make friends fast.

man...reading all this has been a waltz down memory lane! i think part of my love for riding is the connection back to my youth. the freedom and excitement of hopping on a bike a cruising around town refreshes my soul. i think my love for classic bikes is the same thing....connecting to the simple and innocent times. it's weird riding the ol' norton and then getting on the bmw...you realize how antiquated and unsophisticated the old bikes are, but they are still a blast to ride. plus, i don't need a computer to tinker on them.
i grew up in the mid-cities and cruisin' was the cool thing weekend nights. we eventually ended up behind the bell helicoptor factory where a 1/4 mile was marked off and drag races went on until the ft worth police would shut things down for the night.
having a 15 year old son...i'm not quite sure if i would want huim doing what we did, but i'd love for him to experience the excitement and "socialization" that we had in the 70's. it beats the heck outta playing x-box and goint to the mall.

:tab When you only lived somewhere for a year, you had to make friends fast.

We moved a lot too, from age 1 to 12, we relocated 8 times, I still miss those childhood buds from Tulsa, 68-69, those were the best kids I ever met.

Twenty years later, the strip itself is surprisingly unchanged in its general appearance. The same buildings are still there. The same parking lots are still there. Even the Sonic is still there, which is where I stopped in tonight on my ZX-7R for an obligatory cherry Coke. Despite the similarities, though, one thing's very different: nobody hangs out on the poor old strip anymore. I mean nobody.

sadturdaynight.jpg

+1

The virtual world perhaps has replaced to some degree real socialization involving traditional rites of passage for teenagers.

title.jpg

I would also add perhaps there might be a subtle but growing nihilism among youth given the erosion of the global economy/job market and a persistent war with no end in site.

RB

We moved a lot too, from age 1 to 12, we relocated 8 times, I still miss those childhood buds from Tulsa, 68-69, those were the best kids I ever met.

I beat you by a long shot. I lost count of moves, but I do know that I graduated from high school from my 13th school.

+1

The virtual world perhaps has replaced to some degree real socialization involving traditional rites of passage for teenagers.

title.jpg

I would also add perhaps there might be a subtle but growing nihilism among youth given the erosion of the global economy/job market and a persistent war with no end in site.

RB

:eek2:

Them there is some might big words, pardner. As a teen, I don't think any of the above was on my mind. My driving thoughts were girls, drive faster, more girls and drive faster to more girls. Oh yeah, the random thought of "I need more hours at work so I can drive faster and find more girls".

Forest Plaza, The Wall, Jack in the box, turn around at the Husqvarna dealer to prevent U turn.

I moved to Conroe 8 years ago. The pine tree in its logo looks like it is about to be devoured by the Capital C in the logo. Metaphor for what has happened to a lot of the foliage there.

Wildebube, reading your thread I keep thinking of the fantastic times I had in Wiesbaden. I lived there from 1982 until 1990. Every American that I spent time with there was hospitable, friendly, and seemed to enjoy themselves there despite being a long way from the US of A. Using the only drive-through McDonalds next to the main train station was always a treat.

I have lived longer in the U.S. now than in Europe. I think I have assimilated quite well, and adjusted to life (and climate) in Texas. It really IS a big place, and beautiful to boot. But there will always be a part of me remembering the good days of my childhood in the Netherlands, where I was born. But I certainly do not see myself moving back there, as it simply feels too claustrophobic now. A LOT more people there now.

Good thread Tim, thanks for starting it :clap:

I never got into the whole cruising thing. We'd go and hang out at a restaurant or drive-in, but that was as close as we got to cruising. Not sure why, really.

I came to Texas from San Diego in my Freshman year, and then we moved across town in time for my Junior year. All my friends were back across town at my church. I was neither a roper nor a doper, so I didn't really have a crowd at school. When it came time for my 10-year high school reunion, I couldn't remember the name of a single person from my school, except my cousin. It would be hard to forget him--I lived with his family.

Honestly, I don't feel any loss. It just wasn't on my radar.

Forest Plaza, The Wall, Jack in the box, turn around at the Husqvarna dealer to prevent U turn.

The wall is still there,although a couple of sections have been knocked down over the years,the Jack in The Box is long gone,and the Husqvarna dealer, John Long died of a heart attack many years ago. I spent many hours in that Husky shop.
Time marches on.

Things are even more different for me. Typically, when people say, “You can’t go home again” it’s a metaphorical statement referring to the very phenomena that Tim and others have been describing. But as a military brat, it’s much more literal for me.

Growing up on Air Force bases in the ‘60s and early ‘70s was much different than the current military atmosphere. I spent my high school years in Germany, first in Wiesbaden and later at Ramstein when HQ USAFE moved from Lindsay Air Station to Ramstein AFB. We did have some problems with the Baader-Meinhof gang and a few other wannabes blowing up American installations in the early ‘70s, but even then, in the middle of the Cold War, there wasn’t the same atmosphere of tight security and fear of terrorism that you see now.

In Wiesbaden we lived on the economy in Wiesbaden-Bierstadt rather than in base housing. But even so, I remember things being more open. The Crestview and Aukamm housing areas were completely open and unguarded, as was the entire Hainerberg area which included not only housing, but a chapel, two or three schools, a movie theater, the BX, the commissary, the American Express, and a bunch of other stuff. No fences, no gates, no guards, no nothing.

Ramstein wasn’t a lot different. We did live on the base there. There was more of a show of security there, but everybody knew it was a joke. There were fences and gate guards at the two main gates, but many other ways in and out. There wasn’t a road, but there was a regular gate right around the corner from our building where people (mostly maids) walked in and out from Ramstein village. There were at least two others that I’m aware of over on the other side in the NCO housing. Practically across the street from where I lived there was a section of fence missing that was big enough to put a two-lane road through – and in fact, there was a dirt road that went right along the fence, so anybody could easily drive on or off base without any control at all. There were several similar sections of downed or missing fence over by the NCO housing as well.

Ramstein didn’t have a high school back then, so we all went to Kaiserslautern American High School. Just like Hainerberg in Wiesbaden, the entire Vogelweh area was open. You needed a military ID to get into the PX or commissary, to buy movie tickets, and things like that, but anybody could drive in and go where they wanted.

There’s a growing awareness of issues surrounding growing up in the military. One thing we all have in common is a lack of a “home”. When asked where we’re from, most will answer, “nowhere” or maybe, “everywhere”. I can identify with that. I usually say, “nowhere”. But I spent my high school years in Germany and even after all these years, Germany seems more like “home” than anywhere else. The “can’t go home” thing really hit me the last time I was in Germany. I tried to get onto the base at Ramstein. I’m obviously an American and I was just wanting to go to the American Express. No dice. No military ID, no entry. Period. So in my case it's not just that things have changed. In my case, I really can’t go back.

WOW! Close to home. I lived "on the economy" in Oberunderstadt, which I think was absorbed into Wiesbaden. I lived there from when I was two to five years old. We lived there again in Darmstadt when I was 8 to 10, but attended the base school then. Those of us who grew up as military "brats" probably have a more rounded view of life because we have seen so much more, but we are also probably cursed to go through life more as observers and less as participants.

I went to 22 different schools from first to twelfth, including six high schools. Every one had a "right of passage"; a cruise strip, a coke bar, hot cars, cool kids ... but I was never one of them. I just observed. Now, my kids have just finished high school, and they talk about the stoners, the nerds, the cool kids. Every thing was pretty much the same as when I grew up; but the hot cars have been replaced by the the nice cars.

Today, I suspect our kids are victums of our affluence. Now mom and dad by the nice cars so the kids can fit in, very few kids are building cars themselves. It's a shame, nothing like working with your hands for three months and hearing that 413 wedge crank up for the first time. :-)

Thanks for the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Though I grew up in Houston, where there never was a cruising scene, I spent many weeks in Paris TX with my cousins. In the late 60's and early 70's, the cruise was from the Bowling alley on 271 to the Sonic Drive-in on which street I am not sure. I enjoyed the cute girls acting silly, the hot cars, the craziness of it all. I was back in Paris in March and drove the old cruise streets and it was gone. No kids hanging out in the Bowling alley parking lot, no one cruising the Sonic, the Sonic was actually half empty. What do the kids do now? Maybe you can't go back, but when I think of those times, I am always smiling, it was a great time, not quite an adult, but not a kid either. When it comes to memories like this, I think we only remember the good times, not remembering any of the bad...maybe that why I smiling as I write this.

Thanks Tim for starting this thread.

Last edited:
Back