• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fast Times at the Texas Mile!

Reaction score
Friday, Oct 22, 2010, the Texas Mile weekend was finally here again! The CMA has been volunteering at the Texas Mile for the past three years and I always thoroughly enjoy the weekends. It was a nice, cool, 95-mile ride from my house to the Goliad County Airpark, north of Berclair, where the Texas Mile is hosted. It’s a weekend of top-speed runs on the airport’s 7,800 ft. runway, with a speed trap at the final 132 feet of the mile and about a half mile left to shut things down.

The Texas Mile began in October 2003, and is run by Shannon Matus and crew, the friendly folks from Houston who bring you NASA racing in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. The Goliad County Industrial Airpark is an old Navy landing field sited out in the country about 10 miles north of Berclair. Berclair is about halfway between Beeville and Goliad on Hwy 59. This is an image from a USGS survey.

Goliad_TX_00_se.jpg

The Texas Mile uses the closed runway on the left. The runway on the right is active, but is closed during the event. There’s not much out there when the Mile isn’t happening. The starting line for the Mile is at the bottom. The taxiway is used as pits, with taxiways for both runways in use by racers during the event. There's no money to win at the mile, just a chance to go home with a fistful of timing slips, a speed certificate and a T-shirt, if you want to pay for one.

When I arrived about 8:00, the entrance gate was set up. Racers and cars had begun showing up Thursday afternoon, when the Texas Mile crew had arrived to start setting up. It costs $200 to $300 to run, depending if you want a 2-day pass or a 3-day pass. Registration is on-line and is limited to 150 vehicles. It usually fills within 24 hours of its opening, then registrants go on a waiting list. Spectators are charged $15 for all weekend. The event is not publicized, but I think we probably had at least 10,000 spectators over the weekend. The spectators’ cars park in the grass on the other side of the taxiway.

This is where the people coming in are dipped and inspected. No, where spectators pay admission, sign a waiver and get wristbands.
DSCN1538.jpg

The control tower.
DSCN1539.jpg

And the registration tent for the racers.

DSCN1545.jpg

Several food vendors set up shop as well as a truck from VP Racing Fuels in San Antonio.

DSCN1542.jpg

These pictures were taken Friday before things got busy. Friday morning was cool and quiet and some pretty fast passes were made. One guy on a 2000 Hayabusa did a pass at 270 mph, setting a record for bikes!

Part II - The Mile Setup

The timing crew sets up at the big end of the track. Tom (left) is the Chief of Communications, Chris (in white) is the head timer and Ed (not shown) brings all the equipment in his RV. Ed designed and built the laser timing setup and the software for it. Speeds are posted on several remote displays and announced over a PA system and broadcast on FM so people can pick it up on their car radios.
DSCN1562.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

The cars and bikes go through a tech inspection, then, when making runs, grid up at the north end of the track.

DSCN1581.jpg

This is the start line.

DSCN1582.jpg

Part III - The Rides

The best part of the Mile is the huge variety of cars and bikes that show up to run. This time, nothing was jet-powered, but there were a lot of exotic rides on hand.

This Fort GT did 211.3
DSCN1563.jpg

One of several Lamborghinis.
DSCN1547.jpg

A beautiful '55:
DSCN1549.jpg

And just someone's idea of fun:
DSCN1543.jpg

This pickup doesn't have his number on it yet in this picture, but I think I remember him doing about 165. He's been at a number of Miles.
DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1552.jpg

Part IV - Saturday

Saturday gets really busy. With cars and bikes parked everywhere and people wandering all over the place, it always reminds me of a county fair.

DSCN1559.jpg

DSCN1556.jpg

Things break at the mile:
DSCN1565.jpg

This was a pretty good pass:
DSCN1566.jpg

by this car (but not quite as fast as they wanted to go):
DSCN1590.jpg

How about a Mustang that did 205? On diesel?
DSCN1573.jpg

If you don't believe me, I have video on Picasa so you can hear the engine.

Wrapup

There were plenty of bikes that ran. I guess one lowered, stretched, turbo Hayabusa looks pretty much like another, so I didn't get too many pictures of them.

DSCN1579.jpg

The Harley did 130.8:
DSCN1585.jpg

This bobber wasn't there to run, but it sure is pretty:

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1596.jpg

This fellow did run 144.0:
DSCN1599.jpg

What got all the press was the Underground Racing Lamborghini Gallardo, the car record-holder with a pass of 250 last spring getting totaled on Saturday. It went through the traps at 235, off the track at about 220, hit some bushes, then went end over end. Once the driver was cut out of the wreck, he walked away. Rather than trying to embed the video, just hit the link. The video has had 1.1 million views in less than 10 days.

And this 2000 Hayabusa was King of the Hill with a Sunday morning pass of 278.6 mph. Incredible.
DSCN1603.jpg

There is some uncertainty about the future of the Texas Mile. The Navy has new trainers coming to Corpus Christi in 2012 that require longer runways. They have started proceedings to get the airport back from the county under eminent domain. We're hoping they will continue to let the mile run after they have it back, but no one knows at this point.

Hopefully, things will work out and the whole travelling road show will show up again March 25-27, 2012 for the next running of the Texas Mile.

Andy, did you see the Lambo that flipped at the end of the track? I hope he got out ok.

Yep, see the last post. He was fine. I wanted a picture of the Lambo afterwards, but they hauled it off under a tarp. I like the part of the video where the car fires off the turbos about 100 ft. in the air.

All in all, they did almost 1500 runs over the three days.

My two sons and I went. It was our first time, we had a blast. We will be back.:thumb: Folks were very friendly.

Very neat. May have to try to make that event in March. As a spectator of course. LOL!

Looks like a blast - I'm going to try to make that next year

Thanks for the report

Kevo

It's a lot of fun. Come out next March you will not be disappointed :mrgreen:

I'm still shooting for that magic 200 mark. My best to date is 197.2 mph. This year both March and October were plagued with nasty cross winds :eek2: and warm temps.

Attachments

• IMG_2024_sm.jpg
    IMG_2024_sm.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 246
I am going next year!!! Looks like a blast!!!

great job busa :clap:

I do have a question.. The mustang that ran diesel, why do they have tape on the vehicle? I have my own theory but ….

stacie

I am going next year!!! Looks like a blast!!!

great job busa :clap:

I do have a question.. The mustang that ran diesel, why do they have tape on the vehicle? I have my own theory but ….

stacie

Keeps the wind from getting under or between parts and blowing them off. :eek2: At these speeds the air presure is powerful.

We went a few years ago, before it got real popular. It was a really nice event. Some of the East Coast Timing Association folks were there helping them set it up similar to the Maxton Mile.

Cheers, Tom

Attachments

• DCP_2776.JPG
    DCP_2776.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 247
  • CREW02.jpg
    CREW02.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 236
I went 172 (indicated) in Half a mile AND 184 (indicated) flat out before getting out of the throttle on a stock '03 GSX-R1000. It was very stable. the slowing from that speed was the interesting part for me...:)-
It's not stock anymore wonder what I can do on race gas? COMMENTS?

Attachments

• DSCF5346.jpg
    DSCF5346.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF5241.jpg
    DSCF5241.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 233
BTW...Before anyone asks, I'm painting and applying graphics to the faring lowers. :)
I went 172 (indicated) in Half a mile AND 184 (indicated) flat out before getting out of the throttle on a stock '03 GSX-R1000. It was very stable. the slowing from that speed was the interesting part for me...:)-

Get you a GPS throw er in the trunk and let her rock! Unfortunately you'll probably be surprised to find out that your speedo error is as much as 10 or 11 percent! I onow one of the bikes i helped tune an 04 GSXR1000 ran in the 190's with a lightened crank(- 4lbs from rotating mass),Power Commander, full exhaust, Timing box, TRE, and a few other tweeks. So you might be surprised. Best bet round up some leathers(just saw a set on the ATX craigslist for $195) get some Pilots wrapped round your rims, safety wire a few thing and throw $200 or $300 on the table and find out. In all truth I can't place a price tag on the 200mph certificate and shirts we have! I'd say priceless

Mr Marie
SRAD

Not the same bike as your's but I put my 600 on the dyno and tested 2 gasolines and 2 race fuels from 89 to 105 octane. Every increase in octane resulted in a decrease in HP. Dyno guy said that might
not be the case if I could play with ignition timing. That wasn't legal at the time in the class I was racing.

I agree with Carl, get a GPS. Even then, some are only accurate to +/- 30 feet and 60 feet added to a mile would be less than 1%. If you want a little more accuracy, test your GPS on the open highway mile markers and back it up with a stopwatch.

Back