• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run XII - Shopping Break in Crockett Ride Reports

Reaction score
Just got back home from Crockett. Morning temp was...cool. 30 degrees according to a phone call. Mr. Gerbings and Mr. Widder got some work today.

Other it being cold, the day was fantastic. Clear blue skies. The ride on 315 was awesome, a good part of it has been recently repaved and is smooth as glass. Came up on a fellow Sprint rider and followed him (at a brisk clip :rider:) to Palestine, got a chance to talk to him at the meet, he was on a red 2006 ST.

2702498050062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Moosehead Cafe

There were two motorcycles parked across from the Moosehead when I arrived. One from Bedford and one from Houston. A group of the East Texas gang rode in just a few minutes after me.

2422600610062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Bill & Jessica

2523282970062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Terr & Skip. Sorry, I missed you Dutch, but

2769800250062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Gotcha here.

2914216530062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Near as we could tell. A Panhead and a Side-Valve. With roadkill saddles.

2509040170062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Chuck comes by to greet riders.

2438021280062847176S600x600Q85.jpg

Didn't hear a count, but seemed a good turnout

Re: Pie Run XII: Shopping Break in Crockett, 12/18/2010

Hi Mark, nice pics and write up. Thank goodness for Shampa and Gerbings this morning. Burrrrrr! That stretch of 315 was fantastic! We'll have to make a trip down that way soon and ride the whole thing. It was nice meeting you today and I'm glad you made it home safe. What an excellent ride it was today!

What a nice day for a ride. :rider: A bit cool as I left the house about 9am but with the sun out...:clap:
Got to meet some new folks and take a few pictures so I'll share those.

some of the folks riding in....Verseys and scooters...bergmans were everywhere!
PieRun121810-1.jpg

PieRun121810-2.jpg

PieRun121810-4.jpg

I had the special of the day...catfish, hushpuppies, fries, coldslaw (that's a vegatable according to Bill aka Pub610)and green tomato relish (spicey sweet stuff).
Lunch121810.jpg

Sat with Bill and Jessica and the East Texas Crew...
Bill the Man and his Pie
Pub610andhispie.jpg

Jessica and her pie
Ninjaetteandherpie.jpg

My pie Apple and Blue Bell vanilla!
ApplePie121810.jpg

Jack and Phil...nicer guys you will not ever meet.
PhilandJack.jpg

Phil issisted after I had taken the above picture that he be given the camera and take one of me and Debbie aka Snoopster....I should know better.
DebandJeff.jpg

then he said Debbie blinked...right...
Snoopsterandjhansen.jpg

Scott, Beth, and the Clan....
TheFridayFamily.jpg

Chuck either holding court or trying out for TRON III
Chuckasatronwannbe.jpg

I guess the reason for the name of the place....:trust:
theMooseoftheMooseheadcafe.jpg

All in all a great day....Ask Scott (TM) about his encounter....:doh:

:tab All I have to say is double check to the left before pulling out :doh: No injuries to anyone or the bike and just a few minor scuffs and scrapes on the car I thought was turning :roll: Thank goodness I wasn't on the KLR or I probably would have become a hood ornament :eek2:

:tab Was cool early on but it sure turned into a beautiful day for a ride! :sun:

It was 32 degrees with frost on the ground when I left the house in Terrell this morning headed for meet up with our group of Burgman riders in Forney. It had warmed to a balmy 35 by the time I got over there. Only 3 riders showed up by the time we left at 8:30 and it had warmed on up to 39.

We followed a mostly straight line down sticking to mainly FM roads and arrived in Crockett about 11:10. We swung around to the east side of town to fill up at the Valero at Loop 304 and TX 21. While we were filling up a group from Shreveport came into the station to fill up and we chatted a while before all heading on into the Moosehead.

We arrived at about 11:30 and there was already a line of bikes on either side of the courthouse street. Here are a few shots I took of the bikes lined up when we arrived:

HPIM1183.jpg

HPIM1182.jpg

HPIM1184.jpg

There were only 2 bikes on the court house street when we left, but there were probably a few more in the parking lot around the side. The ride home was a little warmer, mostly mid 50s. We made it back to Forney around 5 and the sun was just setting when I arrived back at the house. 328 enjoyable if a little cool miles :rider:.

Oh BTW, Jeff it's Burgman not Bergman :-P :rofl:

And that's our Dallas Burgman group along with the folks from Sherveport that you got the pictures of arriving.

Enjoyed a good ride up to Crockett, a little cool but not too bad. The sunshine sure was nice.

Met up with Dave and Tim at the Waffle House between Conroe and Willis. I think they had a good laugh at my cold weather gear, but it was warm so I wasn't worried about how it looked. :mrgreen:

We headed north to Willis and turned west to cross over Lake Conroe and head up 149 to north of Richards and then headed for Shiro and then a warming up stop in Madisonville at Buckee's before heading over to Crockett.

The photos from the ride...

dsc06057u.jpg

dsc06059r.jpg

dsc06060.jpg

dsc06062z.jpg

dsc06064.jpg

dsc06069e.jpg

Notice how the Harley Ultra Limited is protecting my Tiger from wayward cars coming down the street?
dsc06070e.jpg

dsc06071m.jpg

Scott praying for a safe ride home?
dsc06072bs.jpg

dsc06074tn.jpg

Nicely set up KLR
dsc06076c.jpg

dsc06077.jpg

Nice Tiger you got there Jack
dsc06081.jpg

dsc06086l.jpg

Grabbed another courthouse photo
dsc06089z.jpg

And another one
dsc06096j.jpg

dsc06100r.jpg

As Jeff said, this is one jail house I wouldn't want to be locked up in
dsc06102c.jpg

and the temporary courthouse
dsc06105.jpg

Looks like somebody couldn't read the sign. Well at least one of us wasn't in the No Parking Zone.

That's the County Sheriff's Office to the left
dsc06109ca.jpg

Pulled back into the garage with an additional 232 miles on the clock.

It was a good ride with some some good guys. Thanks to Tony for being a great Road Captain. We even saw a chupacabra on the ride.

Last edited:
I was about to go across the street to the Moosehead when this guy in camo was walking down toward me and said 'Y'all having some kind of special ride in?"

I said that it's probably not that special since we do it every month :trust: but we kept on chatting, and he has a white Gold Wing and lives in Crockett and everyone he rides with there seems to think riding around the Crockett square is a long ride and he wants more. So I made sure he knew how to spell "Two Wheel Texans" and "Google" before I went in for a CFS and mashed potatoes. We should expect him to be joining the forum shortly I think.

number 12 done! I was showing 27* here when I pulled out. I messed up and had left the bike out after getting back from Friday ice cream, and had to clear the thick heavy frost from the bike.
the bike let me know it wasn't happy about the cold, even with the luxury of fuel injection it took several prods of the starter button before it would stay running.

part of me wanted to go back to bed but I knew Squeaky would be there with the sticker she promised me. :tears: :lol2:

didn't expect a plaque!! thanks Guys!!

04246f92.jpg

I was sitting here doing the math and for 2010 I have done 4350 miles (+/- 50 miles) on pie runs alone. the longest was Adrian at 1063 miles, close to 300 of those miles was dragging Chuck kicking and screaming in search of Panhandle court houses while we were up there.:lol2:

the shortest was the long drag out to Godley, round trip total of 10 miles.

First off, THANKS to the PieManII himself for an outstanding year of food and friendship. I think one of the great aspects of the TWT family is how many of us truly enjoy seeing one another on these runs. And Chuck is the man behind all this. :clap:

And second - CONGRATS to Leon for 12 of 12. I believe he might be the first to accomplish attendance of all 12 in the same year, on the same bike.

I ran a tad bit over 400 miles RT and was able to snag a couple more of those silly courthouse pictures along the way on a crisp, almost winter day. Seeing old friends, making new ones and trying not to forget the ones I've already met is what this is all about.

I thought it was a great turn-out! :thumb: Lots of variety in bikes.

I'll have some pictures today. The cold weather really tired me out & I crashed early last night. :yawn:

Congrats to my riding buddy, Leon! :clap: He stated early in January that he was planning on making them all & pulled it off! I thought I did pretty well by only missing two - a lot of things need to fall into place to make all 12.

Thanks to everyone that made it to Crockett yesterday.

I was good to see such a good turnout.

I also want to add a congrats to Leon for his 12 for 12 this year. And he did it on a SV1000N. I loved mine before I sold it, but a couple of hundred miles was plenty in one day for me on the naked bike. Well done Leon. :clap:

Chuck, thanks so much for picking up the pie run job when Chris moved. You have done a great job with it. The pie runs seem to really help you feel like part of TWT and it is really great to put a face with a nickname.

I am looking fwd to next years pie runs, and be looking for the RTE's I post from time to time. Everyone has a standing invitation to come out for lunch when we do one.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the TWT family.

The ride there was great, a little crispy at 50degs but the sun was bright!

and the ride back... at least the sun wasn't washing out the video!

Left Shreveport with Lee and John at 8am with the indicated temp of 39. Our route took us through Carthage to Mount Enterprise to Cushing to Douglas and finally into Crockett. From the looks of the crowd of bikes, I would say that everyone had completed their Christmas shopping early!!!! LOL!!! This was my first Pie Run and it won't be my last. Enjoyed the fellowship. Congratulations John on winning the drawing.

My pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bartpatten/CrockettTX?authkey=Gv1sRgCOS76r-mmpPWuQE&feat=directlink

Another great Pie Run!

I met with Brian (Tsotsie) at the McDonalds at 99 and 90A right about 8:10 a.m. We rode to the Flying J in Brookshire for the rest of the crew, but nobody else showed so we recruited a new guy whose group had apparently wimped out. :doh:

Hi, Jay! :welcome:

Jay was on a 1984 Gold Wing that he had rescued from impending junk yard status. Nice bike.

From left to right: Jay, Daryl, Mike, Brian and me.

165416_1744614537047_1289278330_1943390_1316085_n.jpg

I need to get a better camera phone! (Maybe then, I'd take more photos).

162918_1744607816879_1289278330_1943379_6754704_n.jpg

63655_1744645657825_1289278330_1943460_521620_n.jpg

And finally, a random cute dog picture.

156637_1746164215788_1289278330_1947166_6105808_n.jpg

Dense fog, that must have been before we got there! :lol2:
Another great Pie Run!

I met with Brian (Tsotsie) at the McDonalds at 99 and 90A right about 8:10 a.m. We rode to the Flying J in Brookshire for the rest of the crew, but nobody else showed so we recruited a new guy whose group had apparently wimped out. :doh:

Hi, Jay! :welcome:

Jay was on a 1984 Gold Wing that he had rescued from impending junk yard status. Nice bike.

From left to right: Jay, Daryl, Mike, Brian and me.

165416_1744614537047_1289278330_1943390_1316085_n.jpg

Such a wonderful day, a bit chilly for the start. Thanks to Tony and Dave for the fellowship. Good to see more of my Two Wheeled Texans family.

First, the important stuff.

The drawing winner for the $30 gift certificate from Cli-Max Riding Gear was John Strong. John hasn't registered with TWT yet and came with the Louisiana group if I heard it right. John, Terry (TLRam1) from CliMax, will get in touch with you when you register. You will need to register (again) at their site, Cli-maxridinggear.com, by next Friday and they will credit your account with $30 to order stuff from them. However, I'll lobby for a little more time since it is the Christmas season and we didn't count on folks from LA riding in! :-P

Also, Donnie G won the "mystery cash" which he guessed at $15 and was correct! Don't spend it all in one place! ;-)

The local weather site had 34 for the DFW area when I left the house a smidge after 8:00. My bike thermometer was reading low 40s however (maybe because of the garage).

I was late to the Minyards and waited until 8:15 before heading south. On the way to mansfield, the temp dropped to 34 and I don't think it hit 40 until we reached Fairfield. I met up with Leon (focus frenzy) in Venus and the two of us went down together.

We arrived in Crockett about 10 minutes early and found a bunch of bikes already there and folks already inside. Here are a few photos of the bikes parked around the square:

We parked on the side behind another group that just arrived.
d70_8758cq.JPG

d70_8759q.JPG

d70_8760q.JPG

d70_8761cq.JPG

d70_8762cq.JPG

d70_8763q.JPG

(these Burgman riders keep showing up :trust: )
d70_8764q.JPG

d70_8765q.JPG

We had a presentation for Leon (focus frenzy) who made all of the Pie Runs this year - that was his plan from January.

d70_8767q.JPG

d70_8770q.JPG

d70_8772q.JPG

Phil (pkiser) is a serious pie consumer
d70_8773q.JPG

Back outside, lots of folks looking at bikes and gabbing.

Finally, folks were lining up to head back home...

Chuck and his brand new Honda
d70_8778cq.JPG

Jack got a Tiger!
d70_8780cq.JPG

Scott (Tourmeister)
d70_8781cq.JPG

I think that is Phil (pkiser) in there somewhere :ponder:
d70_8782cq.JPG

Two sisters that just joined the forum. I got to talk with them a bit. They rode in with the Huntsville bunch
d70_8783cq.JPG

---

Leon and I took the scenic way home through Rusk, Palestine and the US287 all the way home. It was very nice outside when we stopped in Palestine and Corsicana. I got back around 6:00 after 385 miles. :rider:

Thanks again for coming out to Crockett! :eat:

Last edited:
Back