• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run I: It's January - this must be Hico!

Thanks for the images all. I thought about going, but family/friend time this weekend took priority. See you in Conroe :rider:

Nice buy MBrew!

I am sure you and BBrew will enjoy it.

I'll have more to add, but let me say that it was a great turnout!

Thanks to Irene and her Koffee Kup crew for taking care of all of us hungry riders. :thumb:

Also, thanks to Terry (TLRam1) of Cli-Max Riding Gear who gave away not one but two door prizes. The lucky winners were:

Kim K - first timer that rode down from Bartonville with Pat (coupe930) and a couple of others. She also runs a bike rental outfit and may end up a vendor here...

Brain H (SA Strom) - see it pays to ride all that way!

I think Terry gave them all the scoop but they need to register on his site by this coming Friday. He'll add $30 to their accounts and then they just need to find some stuff to spend it on! :thumb:

Long distance goes to James (lonestarrider) for dropping in from Amarillo. :eek2:

It's a great day in January when you take the liners out and don the summer gloves after lunch!

I counted 85 cards in my Pie Town hat & there were probably some folks that didn't enter (like me) , so Cam's count of 90 bikes is probably good!

Ongoing Mission... Pursuit of The Perfect Pie!

I and a few friends are going off to see if we can find the perfect pie. “Life, liberty and the pursuit of pie” is the basis of American society.

This will be a short mission, but vitally important to national security, foreign policy and the well being of all mankind. “One small bite for man, a giant pie for mankind”

I’m about to go meet a feller with the handle of WhiskySmith (I think he may be a boozer) that hails from the town of Seguin (Near San Antonio), we are going to ride a bit, perhaps get dirty, and then see if we can find any evidence of dinosaurs tonight. A few more may join us tonight in that hunt. If a T-Rex doesn’t get us, tomorrow we will head off - In search of the perfect pie…

Wish us well and that the motorcycle gods watch over us. This is a difficult mission, but being the patriots we are, we are up to the challenge!

I met up with WhiskySmith on his way to Central Texas around noonish, we ride out to Jonesboro for their legendary cheeseburger on jalapeño sourdough bread. Jonesboro is a small rural Texas town and about the only commercial place left is the “Jonesboro Store” that serves as a service station, small grocery store and makes awesome cheeseburgers.

Jonesboro Store
1172620770_iqkfm-M.jpg

And this is a picture of my cheeseburger
1172099557_u2vfw-S.jpg

Opps, I seemed to have forgotten to take a “before” picture. Trust me it was yum-yum. If you ever make it to Jonesboro, stop it for a great cheeseburger.

From there we meandered over to the thriving metropolis of Cranfills Gap (population 300) to a little biker bar there for a cool Texas brew. I mean, it was 75 degrees after all. Yes it’s late January, but this is why we love Texas.

The biker bar I speak of is the infamous Horny Toad Bar & Grill
1172110866_ujRyp-M.jpg
1172627699_VvMPj-M.jpg
1172111229_nNMfH-M.jpg

And as proof it is a real biker bar
1172114718_3zxuZ-M.jpg

From Cranfills Gap we went in search of dirt. We were following some tracks/routes we had downloaded from a past rally but the section we picked was the only paved section in the route. Nice ride though and it was just as good we did not go off road, that seems to be when I get in trouble.

We reach the county seat of Bosque County and we have to stop for a photo op in front of the Meridian courthouse.
1172121063_nnLtU-M.jpg

We had to stop and take this picture for two reasons.
1. WhiskySmith was new to the mindless game of taking pictures of your stead in front of a courthouse.
2. It bugs my brother (Hap Hazard) when I stop to take these kind of pictures and include them in my reports or email him a copy. So I had to do both. This one’s for you Bro.​

From Meridian we continue north to the town of Glen Rose. In Glen Rose we find the courthouse for Somerville County. So, we had to stop for a photo op (same reasons as above)
1172132452_n5CHm-M.jpg

We then head to a nearby state park where dinosaur tracks have been reported. They say tracks have been sighted in the river bottom, so down to the river we head.
1172666752_wZenk-M.jpg
1172667128_SuKEJ-M.jpg

We searched diligently and low and behold we see something in the water
1172690056_8MSdj-M.jpg

What are those indentations in the water? I wonder, could they be ..?

Upon closer inspection
1172690259_QhoVF-M.jpg
1172690367_ayJou-M.jpg

We consult our paleontologist manuals and confirm these are in fact dinosaur tracks! At this point we are quite excited and proceed to give each other high-fives but we hear a growl and look up. Oh my God!
1172740913_xuUaF-M.jpg

Run, WhiskySmith, run!
1172741391_mbFR5-M.jpg

Whew! That was a close call. We set up camp (within dinosaur proof fencing) and decide it’s time for some chow. We head over to a nearby establishment called Loco Coyote (aka: North Texas Luckenbach).
1172768450_F79Xi-M.jpg
1172784826_Xo7UH-M.jpg

I order a small 16 oz. rib eye, WhiskySmith orders a few ribs.
1172773591_kZwnR-M.jpg
1172784433_iu7LH-M.jpg

With bellies full, we return to the campsite and are joined by Jbay who comes bearing additions to the evening beverages.
1172801677_Cc8wG-M.jpg

After an evening of telling lies by the campfire, we say nightie-night. It had been a great day. Nice, warm and sunny. But after the sun dropped tempurtures started to drop. By late evening, it was downright cool, by the middle of the night it was COLD. VERY COLD! This is what our campsite looked like.
1172820531_Bswdm-M.jpg

In the morning we crawl out of our frozen sleeping bags, throw some logs on the fire and I take up residence in the middle of the fire pit. By time the snow and ice melted, I was able to take some other pictures of campsite.
1172803266_UW3bg-S.jpg
1172803740_bjwEb-S.jpg

1172803521_fV89f-S.jpg
1172804012_dArzr-S.jpg

We had lots of leftovers from last night’s feast so that is what we had for breakfast. Here is Jbay chowing down on a rib.
1172834577_wM448-M.jpg

Que! The breakfast of champions.

We eventually pack up. Jbay knows some good routes to take, so now we are off to our primary mission. Find the perfect pie.

We join up with a group called “Two Wheeled Texans” who has as their mission statement to find the perfect pie. Any group that will ride to the far ends of the Republic of Texas scouting out pie joints is my kind of group.

We end up in the town of Hico, Texas (the alleged home and burial site of “Billy the kid”) and arrive at the Koffee Kup restaurant.
1172853354_MScN2-M.jpg

I get seated and order a cup of coffee and the “Black Forrest Pie”.
1172853566_PDcdn-M.jpg

Deeeeeeeelicious!!!

Was is good? ABSOLUTELY! Is this the perfect pie? Is this the best pie in Texas? Well, it could be but to know for sure one must sample EVERY pie, EVERY WHERE.
So the quest must continue. Ongoing Mission... Pursuit of The Perfect Pie!

Wow, Bob. It's amazing all those trees grew up around your campsite overnight! :lol2:

Glad we got the Pie Run in before this stuff hit! It's nasty out there!

I wouldn't be caught out there today even on a Ural with the sidecar drive wheel engaged!

Back