• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Ride... Just a week early.

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
With all the crowds converging on Big Bend this coming weekend Rachel, myself, and a few others thought it would be a dandy time to go down a week early and do some riding before the masses came.

So we left last Monday with the plan of not heading back till Saturday or Sunday. I'm sorry for not taking any more pictures than I did, but we were busy riding and enjoying.

IMAG0337.jpg

Ed29 and myself checking out the scenery along the northern part of Old Ore

IMAG0316.jpg

Stopping in at Ernst Tinaja for a hike about.

IMAG0327.jpg

Capturing the views.

BTW, after 6 or 7 times down to Big Bend, this was my first ever time down Old Ore. I've either ran out of time, had just a street bike, or hurt myself before getting the chance to ride it. All I can say now that I've ridden it, is that I want to go back. Ed was telling me that it is much rougher now than it was a few years ago. I'll have to take his word on it, for now. But either way, it was one heck of a ride.

Camp was nice. We met up with a group of riders from the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum, and they were some awesome folks. Bigdon was leading their group around and they asked if Rachel and I wanted to join them for a nice easy ride into the State Park. Having never been in there either, it was a no brainer. That place has some amazing views, and awesome hikes for those willing to hop off the bike and walk a little ways. We hiked into a little desert oasis that even during the driest months still has water flowing from the cracks in the rocks. Rachel has some pics on the other camera that I'll try and post up tomorrow.

Here are a few from the grapevine hills trail inside the National Park.
IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

Amazingly enough, I actually had cell service from this vantage point and was able to post up the picture to Facebook. Ain't technology grand...LOL

While riding around in the Park, Ed and I ran across something that reminded us of one of the trucks in the Dakar rally. Later that evening Rachel and I were at the porch and found out a little more about it.
IMAG0341.jpg

They built it themselves from bits and pieces they could dig up, and once it was done, they started touring the world. It has been to Africa and through the dunes, and through Eastern Canada until it got too cold for the motor to run properly so they decided to head south for the winter. They plan on heading back up North once it warms up and then eventually heading towards the other side of the equator into South America. If you want to know more about them, I snapped this pic off the side of their truck. Oh and it made it up and back on Old Ore. Not too shabby if you ask me.

IMAG0343.jpg

That's it... That is all I've got on this one. I'm sorry for the quality since they all came from my phone, but it's better than nothing I guess.:-) A great trip, and I can't wait to do it again. Oh and for those reading this before their first trip to Big Bend... India's Cafe for breakfast = greatness. I love me a Kathy's burrito, but I don't know if I'll ever go anywhere else now that I've been spoiled.

Thanks for sharing the pics. That truck and its story are cool.

Cool Bill. :thumb: I'll be doing the ride a week late. :rider:

No need to apologize for riding instead of taking pictures. That's what it's all about anyway. Thanks for sharing what you can. As for the truck, very cool. That, there is what I'd call an RV. :thumb:

I usually scoot down Old Ore at a good clip. I think I would be pretty surprised drifting around a corner and running into a 6 ton truck.:eek2:

You guys suck! But glad you had a good time. What was Rachel riding?

I usually scoot down Old Ore at a good clip. I think I would be pretty surprised drifting around a corner and running into a 6 ton truck.:eek2:

Last time I rode Old Ore I was taking my time and riding easy. Maybe a little too slow as I almost had a head on with one of my buddies on his KTM flying back to check on us. :eek2: Yes I lectured him about keeping his speed down. Those orange bikes just make it too easy to go fast.

You guys suck! But glad you had a good time. What was Rachel riding?

She was bikeless for this trip. But most of the time she just rode two-up with me on the KLR. Only for the Old Ore trip did she stay back at Study Butte, and I'm quite glad. That road would not have been much fun two-up with the stock shock spring.

Old Ore Rd got my attention when I rode it about a year ago. I feel it is the toughest of all the roads in the park. I bet that truck was a tight fit on some of that road. Cool truck there by the way. I almost went out there myself last weekend but decided I just did not have enough time to justify the long trip.

Don

Last time I rode Old Ore I was taking my time and riding easy. Maybe a little too slow as I almost had a head on with one of my buddies on his KTM flying back to check on us. :eek2: Yes I lectured him about keeping his speed down. Those orange bikes just make it too easy to go fast.

On two-way trails or two track, even if I am scooting along, I always take care to avoid head ons. I avoid the group rides and the mass gatherings like what is going on now at Big Bend. Not that I am anti-social, but I prefer riding in very small groups (two or three) and love the solitude of a place like Big Bend under normal circumstances.

On two-way trails or two track, even if I am scooting along, I always take care to avoid head ons. I avoid the group rides and the mass gatherings like what is going on now at Big Bend. Not that I am anti-social, but I prefer riding in very small groups (two or three) and love the solitude of a place like Big Bend under normal circumstances.

I agree. There were four of riding that time. Two is good, three is perfect. YMMV ;-)

Two - three is my limit too. I avoid being there on big events. I've been there before and met a group on RR west that thought they were running the Dakar. Luckily their dust cloud gave them away so we pulled to the side to let them go by. They didn't even slow down. :doh:

Back