• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Three Sisters and One Museum

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
My cousin Tim (Tshelfer) and I took a couple of days and went down to ride the three sisters this past week. We figured that there would be lots of folks on the roads Saturday, but Friday wouldn't be crowded, so we took off Thursday afternoon for Kerrville. We didn't take any pictures on the way down, but we fought a lot of southerly winds. On one tank I got just under 34 MPG out of my Shadow.

Tim's from Arlington and I live in Haltom City, so we met up at a Jack in the Box in Benbrook and took 377 down to Comanche, and 16 all the way into Kerrville. I had thought about swinging by Enchanted Rock, but Tim was leading, and I didn't tell him in time to make the turn. I wish we had. We would have avoided a pack of cars . . . following a slow motorcycle. Sigh . . .

We stayed at the Americas Best Value on Hwy 16, and it was a nice place. Good beds, quiet, good TV, a microwave and a mini-fridge. Here are our steeds parked out front. Tim was on his Wee-Strom, and I was on my Shadow 1100.
Thesteeds.jpg

Dinner was Mexican food at the Acapulco Restaurant. Okay, but kind of bland to my taste. And I'm not really into hot, spicy food. Still, I didn't leave anything on my plate.

Friday morning it was breakfast at IHOP before heading out. We made the usual loop, 16 to Medina, 337 to Camp Wood, north on 55/335, east on 41, south on 336 to Leakey for lunch. This was our first time on the Three Sisters, and they're everything we had heard. We had a great time. The surfaces were kind of rough at times, but they were tons of fun. Unfortunately, we didn't see any wildflowers. Too dry, I guess. They are really in the midst of a drought there.

I was watching for critters, but we didn't see any live deer. We did come upon one killed in the road. It was in the middle of the opposing lane, and I pulled into a gravel drive so we could get it out of the road. There I promptly dropped my bike. Oh, well. No harm, just embarrassment. Apparently, that was something of an animal graveyard. In that one spot we could see two dead hogs, and four deer.

Lunch was barbecue sandwiches at the Buck Stop in Leakey. We looked at the Hog Pen, but it was crowded. I had the sausage, and Tim had the chopped brisket. Good stuff. I thought about ordering a stuffed potato, and I was glad I didn't The lady at the next table did, and the thing was the size of a football! I've seen some big baked potatoes, but this thing had Liberian registry. The waitress brought the lady a to-go box before she even got started.

Obligatory 337 sign shot:
337sign-1.jpg

Tim took a much better picture there:
337.jpg

Here's the picnic area on 337:
PicnicArea337.jpg

And the "Be Careful" sign:
10killed.jpg

Somewhere on 41:
Tim.jpg

After lunch we got back on 337 for a bit, then turned north on 187. We didn't stop at the Motorcycle Museum, saving that for a later date. From 187, we took 39 into Kerrville. There are some gorgeous ranch homes on that road. Here's one of the Guadalupe crossings:
Guadalupe2.jpg

Our bikes at that crossing (we missed the No Parking sign.):
ParkedatGuadalupe.jpg

Tim at the crossing:
TimatGuadalupe.jpg

Me at the crossing:
DanatGuadalupe2.jpg

Here's a couple who were staying at our hotel on their Beemer. Beautiful bike:
BeemeronRoad-1.jpg

Naturally, we passed a lot of other crossings that were more picturesque.

In case you didn't know, Stonehenge II has been moved from Hunt to Ingram, and they're still putting it back together.

Want gum-gum, dumb-dumb!
WantGum-gum.jpg

Obligatory photo with the statue:
DanPicking.jpg

Saturday we went to Fredricksburg for breakfast and to visit the Museum of the Pacific. We really didn't have enough time to do the museum justice. That's a great collection of artifacts, with a lot of interesting displays.

3-inch Naval Gun:
3-inch-1.jpg

Hedgehog Anti-Submarine Weapon:
Hedgehog.jpg

An Amphtrac:
Amphtrac.jpg

A Duck (DUKW):
Duck.jpg

Re-enactment Beach:
Re-enactmentbeach.jpg

They hold re-enactments here 8 times a year. I'd like to come back to see that, especially the flamethrower. It's why that one pillbox is black.

Japanese 75mm Gun. The damage is from combat.
Re-enactmentbeach.jpg

Japanese 25mm Anti-Aircraft Guns:
25-mmguns.jpg

Japanese Light Tank. The tanks here were battle damaged, then used for target practice on military ranges before ending up here.
JapaneseLttank.jpg

Japanese Medium Tank:
DanandTank.jpg

Avenger Torpedo Bomber:
Avenger.jpg

B-25:
B-252.jpg

A rather beat-up Wildcat:
Wildcat2.jpg

Some 40-mm shells, a 20mm, and a .50 cal:
Shells.jpg

PT 309:
PTBoat.jpg

There were three makes of PT Boats. I forget which make this is. It's made of mahogany planks, whereas the other two makes were make of mahogany plywood.

20mm Mount:
20mmmount.jpg

40mm Mount:
40mmBofors.jpg

And at the other end of the naval gun spectrum, some 16-inch shells:
16-inchshells.jpg

We had a great trip back, without that bad headwind, althoug there was a stiff wind from the west.

A great trip. We'll do it again.

Thanks for sharing your trip. It looks like guys had alot of fun. I am going in October and will be sure to see the museum.

Thanks for sharing your trip. It looks like guys had alot of fun. I am going in October and will be sure to see the museum.

I can't wait til October. I am ready to ride.
Nice pictures! I love riding that area. You should eat at "Two Fat Boys" in Camp Wood

Oops. I forgot that we did see some turkeys on 335, including one that flew low enough over my head that I ducked. It was probably three feet above me, but it sure didn't feel like that when it happened. And turkeys have been known to change their flight pattern . . . Hitting that wouldn't have been any fun at 70 MPH. :eek2:

Great report....but your Avenger photo is a tank. ;-)

Hmmm . .. That might give new meaning to "Avenger".

"Ha! Take that! We drop tank on you!" :lol2:

Fixed now.

They told us something I didn't know about Avengers in WWII. Most everyone knows George. H. W. Bush was an Avenger pilot (the youngest in the Navy). What I didn't know was Paul Newman was a Radio Operator/Gunner. He tried to be a pilot, but he was color-blind. That got me to thinking about that whole generation of Hollywood actors and how many of them were veterans. I don't think you could say that about A-list actors today.

I lucked out on my last visited to the Museum and actually got to see the re-enactment. It is something worth seeing. The flame thrower is awesome but what was better was when they fired off the 37mm cannon on the light tank. You better have your ear plugs in.

For your next trip to our town, here's a solid recommendation on good Mexican Food. Taqueria Jalisco (which is like a generic restaurant name). This one is family owned by Abel and his sisters. Food is awesome, and service is kind. Partially paved parking is big-bike safe. Ask for Susie. GPS: 30.087705,-99.192778

Cool! We'll try Taqueria Jalisco. We actually had a hard time finding a place to eat Friday evening. We tried two local cafes, one of which was closed for the day and one of which was up for sale. We ended up at Chili's, which wasn't bad, but wasn't really what we were looking for.

If you're a WW2 buff like I am, allot more time than we did. The Nimitz museum can be covered in 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your interest in Adm Nimitz' childhood play clothes. The guided tour, where you see the cool tanks, is about 40 minutes. But the main WW2 museum? We probably saw 2/3 of it, and hurried through much of that. I'd like to have taken 2-3 hours to properly see all the displays.

I have some (film) pics of restored Japanese tanks taken at The Yūshūkan War Memorial Museum at the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo. They have had a major renovation since I was there in 1996 but it was interesting to see "the other side" point of view of what they called "The Greater East Asian War".

Nice report.... You're right about the museum. There's a LOT of great stuff in there that takes some serious time to take it all in.

If you would like to see some pictures I took at the re-enactment look in this Pacasa gallery of photos I took on our 11/11/2007 trip down there. The re-enactment pictures are down at the bottom of the gallery.

You'll notice the pictures of the PT Boat are kind of dim. I especially wanted to se the PT Boat because my Dad served on one in the Pacific during the war. However they close the PT boat exibit on the days they have the re-enactment. I mentioned my disapointment to one of the workers there explaining why I wanted to see the boat. He went and got the key and let us in for our own private viewing. Only part of the lights were on so it was not bright enough in there for good pictures and the distance was to far for a flash to be effective. I didn't mind though because I was just grateful he let us in.

Great report there!
Planning a little group ride down there, unfortunately it may be a little warmer than it is now. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

There were three makes of PT Boats. I forget which make this is. It's made of mahogany planks, whereas the other two makes were make of mahogany plywood.

The PT309 is a 78 ft Higgins boat. The other boat that was widely used in the Pacific was the 80 ft Elco boat. My Dad spent some time on both types. The first boat he was on was an Elco. It was sunk in action. The replacement for it was a Higgins boat.

The third manufactor was Huckins and was also a 78 ft boat. They only built a few, 18 if I remember right. They were used in home defense squadrons and did not see action in any combat.

Thanks, Craig. I knew they were all "Higgins Class", but I couldn't hear our guide well enough when she said which type of boat this one was.

Danny, this boat was a Higgins - that was mentioned in the narrative. And for the record, so was that most famous PT boat of all time, the PT-73 of McHale's Navy. It was a refurbished Higgins. Just a little trivia fact I read a few years ago. So there it is, if you're interested. If you're not, well, there it is, anyway.

I don't remember which is which, but I remember reading years ago that the earlier boats were 78 feet long, and later ones were 80. According to this particular book, the crews actually preferred the older 78-footers, claiming they were both faster and more maneuverable.

The Higgins built boats were 78 ft, the Elco built boats were 80 ft. Both clases were built all through the war so both were old and new. About twice as many Elco boats were built as Higgins boats.

The reason the earlier boats were faster was they had less stuff on them and they weighed less. As the war progress they added more and more weapons and electronics so the boats got heavier and slower. Dad said that toward the end of the war the Japanese destroyers were faster than the PT boats and could run them down. He said that the first thing they did when they ran into a destoyer was to launch all their torpedoes then dump the depth charges to lighten the boat. After that they just kept firing their guns untill the ammo rain out to lighten the load more so that they could get up enough speed to get away.

Another minor point. None of the PT boats were actually made from plywood. They were made from two layers of mahogany planks. Between them was a layer of canvas impregnated with glue. Since this glued together construction was kind of like the way plywood is made they got the nickname of plywood wonders.

They told us that the Higgins boats were made of planks with a layer of canvas in between, and the Elco and Huggins (?) boats were made of plywood with canvas in between layers. But perhaps they were wrong. This one was clearly made of planks.

The addition of different stuff to the boats was much like the way they kept changing the armament and other stuff on aircraft. And I suspect the crews did a lot of retro-fitting in the field. I know they did that a lot with planes.

My oldest brother was on a PBR in Vietnam. They modified theirs by reinforcing the bow deck and installing a twin 30mm cannon they "found". He said after that they didn't feel like they were outgunned all the time.

Just going by what my Dad told me. I'll do a little research and see if I can confirm that.

Yes, the crews did a lot of modifications in the field. The ones that worked out were often later incorporated into production boats. One of the hardest jobs they had was barge busting. The Japanese used large powered barges to try to supply their troops at night. Because they were shallow draft they could go in closer to short where allied war ships could not go. The job of stopping them fell on the PT boats because they could go into those waters. The barges only drew about 5 feet of water so the PT boats torpedoes would not work on them. The barges also were heavily armed so they were not soft easy targets. To try to even the field the PT crews added extra often heavier weapons to their boats.

Back