• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

From years past 2004

A few unconnected pictures. Some not MC related but I just wanted to share anyway. Hope you like them.
Tunnel above Alamagorda, NM. The road goes to Cloudcroft or Ruidoso, I don't remember which. I've only been through it 15 or 20 times so why would I remember?:giveup:
lastonesbeforeslides0056.jpg

I attempt to ride mountain bikes. My wet clothing in this picture attests to the fact that I'm not very good at river crossings.
lastonesbeforeslides0055.jpg

Old dogs and children. All I need now is some watermelon wine. Dallis and Buddy.
lastonesbeforeslides0054.jpg

My niece and I about to drop off the lip of the Rio Grande Gorge to hike down to some hot springs. I believe they are the ones used in the bathing scene in Easy Rider.
lastonesbeforeslides0053.jpg

To all my long time friends, proof that I sometimes clean my bikes. Truthfully, I'd rather ride.:rider:
lastonesbeforeslides0052.jpg

My wife and 5 of my bikes around 1984. Bonneville, KZ1000, Honda 750K,
750 Venture, XS850 triple.
lastonesbeforeslides0051.jpg

Close to the ski area in Ruidoso, NM. Early '80s
lastonesbeforeslides0050.jpg

My youngest brother, Larry on a test ride. I rode the other bike. The Harley guys told us to ride about 10 miles down the road and turn around and come back when we got to the staging area. He didn't say we couldn't explore down a dirt road. They weren't very happy until my brother made a deal with the local dealer, present at the show, to buy one. He's had at least 1 Harley ever since. That means that I've been able to borrow a Harley ever since:thumb:
lastonesbeforeslides0049.jpg

Niece and nephew on my water buffalo. 1988?
lastonesbeforeslides0048.jpg

Waterfall between Creede and Lake city. There are 2 and this is the best one in my opinion. I don't remember what trip but I've been to it several times. This is the time it had the most water coming over.
lastonesbeforeslides0037.jpg

1980. Chipmonk came into Our camp.
lastonesbeforeslides0031.jpg

Talimena Trail. Clouds were covering the valley on either side of the road and a continuous flow of clouds was crossing the road.
lastonesbeforeslides0047.jpg

My wife and clouds.
lastonesbeforeslides0046.jpg

Somewhere in Arkansas. Check out the Samsonite tribar luggage.
lastonesbeforeslides0045.jpg

450 miles today. She's tired.
lastonesbeforeslides0044.jpg

It started raining on us before Hot Springs so we set up camp in the roadside park pavillion along Hwy 7 I believe.
lastonesbeforeslides0043.jpg

Why my wife can't go back to Hawaii alone.
lastonesbeforeslides0028.jpg

Just kidding, more Hawaii coming up.

1982?

We stopped for gas in NM and these "silly signs" were beside the building. That's my sister in law, Denise.
lastonesbeforeslides0042.jpg

We rode up Mount Evans and it sleeted and rained on us most of the way up.
lastonesbeforeslides0040.jpg

My wife and I on Evans. She's a little cold.
lastonesbeforeslides0038.jpg

The road up. Everything is wet.
lastonesbeforeslides0041.jpg

The road down was a little icy.
lastonesbeforeslides0034.jpg

We all made it. Denise and Linda are not happy with me for taking them up Evans. They both got over it.
lastonesbeforeslides0033.jpg

Why they call them Smoky Mountains.
lastonesbeforeslides0024.jpg

Stone bridge along Blue Ridge or the vicinity
lastonesbeforeslides0023.jpg

Another picture of the area where "last of the Mohicans" was filmed
lastonesbeforeslides0022.jpg

Narrow gauge that runs between Chama and Antonito. If you plan to ride this one and the one in Durango, ride this one first. You'll like it. You'll like the Durango one better.
lastonesbeforeslides0020.jpg

Tall, rather dangerous looking bridge.
lastonesbeforeslides0019.jpg

The road up Pikes peak.
lastonesbeforeslides0030.jpg

lastonesbeforeslides0029.jpg

If you ever go to Hawaii, take a helicopter tour of at least 1 of the islands. I know it is expensive but it is worth the money. My rides were free!!
lastonesbeforeslides0027.jpg

Typical waterfall. At one time, you could hike to one similar to this on Oahu but falling rocks were dangerous so....
lastonesbeforeslides0026.jpg

A blow hole on Oahu. The waves come in and push water out a spout in the lava rocks.
lastonesbeforeslides0025.jpg

More Hawaii coming when I get them scanned. All from about 40 years ago.

Michael Martin's pit before he became the winningest endurance rider ever for team Suzuki (Hammer).
lastonesbeforeslides0017.jpg

6'4" guy gets off a YSR-50. 5'7" gets on. We won several class championships together.
lastonesbeforeslides0016.jpg

We held a race on Mother's Day!! I hand out roses to all moms in attendance.
lastonesbeforeslides0015.jpg

What the grids used to look like, all YSRs. Now it hard to find a YSR on the grid.
lastonesbeforeslides0014.jpg

My pit crew. Check out the ear muffs.
lastonesbeforeslides0013.jpg

Creek just as Black Bear starts to show you why it's fun.
lastonesbeforeslides0009.jpg

Pond on the way to Stony Pass. Around 2006
lastonesbeforeslides0012.jpg

Looking back at Black Bear pass from the road to Imogene Pass. I highly recommend Imogene Pass.
lastonesbeforeslides0011.jpg

Monica coming through the tunnel on Imogene
lastonesbeforeslides0010.jpg

through the aspens
lastonesbeforeslides0005.jpg

One of 4 crashes my wife had this day. The last one rattled her and we went back to camp.
lastonesbeforeslides0004.jpg

Bypass to cross a creek. I don't think I'd try the bridge.
lastonesbeforeslides0002.jpg

That's me, but Monica rode through this one 5 times because Ray doesn't know how to use a point and shoot camera.
lastonesbeforeslides0001.jpg

The road from Crested Butte to Crystal City. Note the people behind Monica. They are local college students that walk up to watch the excitement when people ignore the signs. Remember the sign in the first picture of this thread. Experienced drivers on small 4WD vehicles only. This is the scene of the deadliest offroad wreck in Colorado history. 9 people in a Suburban died when they failed to let their brakes dry after crossing a creek.
lastonesbeforeslides0007.jpg

We walked back up to talk to the students after parking the bikes.
lastonesbeforeslides0003.jpg

The reward, as if something other than the scenery were needed.
lastonesbeforeslides0006.jpg

lastonesbeforeslides0008.jpg

Why I like going to Colorado.
lastonesbeforeslides0078.jpg

Last edited:
I have some pictures from slides that I took in Hawaii but I'll post them in another thread since it will be several days before I get them back from the photo shop. Then, I'll be through. I do want to say a couple of thing that I feel strongly about. One is something that I read and I don't remember the exact wording or who wrote it but you'll get the meaning.

The world is like a wonderful book and he who stays home only gets to read the first page.

The other thing that I would like to mention is notes. I started taking notes on rides and hikes but I started too late. As you may have noted, I'm not sure of dates on some of my rides or even locations sometimes. I know that you think that you will be able to remember all the details, but let me tell you that as you age, the memories start to fade and need a little boost.

I firmly believe that how long a man lives cannot be measured in years, but rather by memories and moments. By moments I mean life defining moments which you will use throughout your life to measure time and therefore longevity. Examples:That was right after our baby was born. Marriage. Even death of a loved one can be a life defining moment that in effect extends your life. You did something that day and you can remember it therefore you extended your life 1 day by having a memory of that day. If you spend your entire life sitting in front of a screen watching reruns of Threes Company and Lucy, you can be 99 years old and you've live a short life. Go, ride your motorcycle, take risks, take pictures, write notes, and live a long life.

Last edited:
That may be the late Skip Bradley first in the frame.

1668033495825.png

Sander I notice you go back and read really old stuff.....I like it, makes me read it as well when you post. Thanks!!! This thread was way cool. I already had respect for @humanrace following his million mile DRZ run this year. This just added to it. Wish i could hook up a cable and download to my brain all the knowledge and experiences. I'm trying to make my own.....just want more!!!

I know Dennie from the 80s watching his team win a lot of endurance races in the old Central Road Racing Club, now CMRA, and WERA.
My Dad also worked with Dennie helping him put on the CRRC races.

I just spent a lot of time on the ground, and learning to use duct tape.

I met Sander for the first time at one of his breakfast rider things. Didn't know what to expect but was sort of thinking I would be following along for a leisurely ride through the tulips with older guys and probably would be bored a lot. Well.....I had to get out of the top three riders in that ride, they were chasing this crazy fast older dude on a DR650 like godzilla was chasing us and we were all about to die. Until you see someone swing a leg over and twist the throttle.....you don't know what you're dealing with or their past experiences. Now I know, get in the back and live to fight another day!!!

1669912136716.png

Last edited:
Sander and his brother, Seth, were both very fast on a roadrace course also.

Back