• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fast Times at the Texas Mile!

you know Denny when we were running oxygenated fuel in the Yamaha's at TMGP they screamed. But Marie's Busa just hates the stuff! We have tried to run it several times at the Mile and the bike just gags and coughs we go to race gas and BANG! It instantly picks up MPH.
Funny thing is it's quite a trip to get to that magic "200" and I don't think people realize stock, lightly modded or even heavily modded bikes aren't like to do the double ton without some serious tuning good riding and luck.
Speaking of 200mph we will be back in March and it's MY turn to get into the 200mph club(I hope). You and Linda should come down I think I know someone that would loan you a 21hp Nitrous Busa to ride;-)

Mr Marie
SRAD

yeah I think you have rode a fast bike or 2

Attachments

• littledenny.jpg
    littledenny.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 194
it seems that there is at least one mishap every race and I have yet to see any serious injuries(life threatening) I guess it speaks to the level of safety and quality equipment used.

Mr Marie
SRAD

Quote SRAD "Speaking of 200mph we will be back in March and it's MY turn to get into the 200mph club(I hope). You and Linda should come down I think I know someone that would loan you a 210hp Nitrous Busa to ride"

I sure would like to join the 200 MPH club before I die. Hopefully, not at the same time. By the way, I changed your 21hp Bussa to 210hp.

You are all exactly right! The rest of the story is this; Soon after that last high speed run, I read about the speedo error and found out mine could be as high as 15percent at top speed! That was waaaay disheartening! That's when a buddy turned me on to track days! He said, "anybody can ride fast in a straight line" Road racing is a better test of riderability. Where pure horsepower is the beast that must be tamed for the 40mph hairpin turn at the end of a 150mph straightaway!!!! :))
...you don't have to go into the pits every lap either! lol!
:rider:
Don't get me wrong! I know it takes a great rider to do 200MPH in a mile, and YES I too would love to join that elite Club!
Like manyothers I have desire and "Hoodspa", however Money is what I lack... :))

Last edited:
It takes about 60 more HP to go 200 than it does to go 180. Those last 10 HP get very expensive.

Funny what the general perception, media hype and butt dyno numbers are compared to the real thing.
When we first dyno'ed the HeavyBus it was in the mid 150's hp wise. And ran 177mph, I panicked! I thought we had a hurt motor. Turns out those numbers were about average for a stocker with slip-ons. Some tuning, full exhaust, Power commander, air box mods, velocity stacks, and some aero mods got us into the low 190's guessing the the hp was only increased into the high 160hp range.
Now the number that is pretty much the gold standard for Busa Land Speed Racing is 200hp= 200 mph under perfect conditions. So your right on the button it took us at least another 30hp to run 201mph. Since the bike has dyno'ed at 21hp and should be capable of #'s as high as 250hp so we are hoping to see some speeds in the 210 215mph range.
I guess at the end of the day what it all comes down to is everyone has a 200mph streetbike, so I just look at them and say "no, no you don't. And IF you think you do, let me show you the little piece of paper before I take your money"
:trust:
HumanRace"Those last 10 HP get very expensive."
after we came home with a 200mph T-Shirt one of my friends asked"how much did that T-Shirt cost you?"
$20
"No I mean how much did you spend to get the shirt"
Well after crunching the numbers bike parts labor entry fees hotels sponsors $$$ fuel giggle juice etc well the shirt only cost about $24,000
Oh and Denny if you want to show up and ride the HeavyBus let me know your seat is reserved!

Mr Marie
SRAD

HEY Ya'll speaking of SPEED, would anybody be interested in seeing the world record broken for top speed riding a motorcycle backwards?
I know a guy who's looking for a venue and sponsorship to break his own record. He's done this at places like TEXAS Motor SpeedWay and several other tracks but is looking for a place to re set the record for top speed. His best qrtr mile seated backwards is 122mph so far!
Feel free to pm me with questions.

The Mile is coming up again this weekend. This will be the last weekend at the Goliad County Airpark as the Navy has taken the field back. The Mile folks have 3 weekends scheduled this year. The next one is Memorial Day weekend. They do have a venue lined up, I think in South Texas. They say it's better facilities, but they're not saying where yet. I think they don't have final details worked out. I won't be there for Memorial Day as that's the same weekend as the Tampico bike rally we've attended the past several years and we're planning to go again.

Happy Trails!

I plan to tack on any additional photos to this same thread. Feel free to post any you have.

A Fond Farewell to Goliad County Airport

The March 2011 Texas Mile is in the books. Numerous personal victories happened, but no overall changes in record top speeds for either cars or bikes. The Mile just keeps getting bigger; not longer, just bigger. Registration filled up in 4-1/2 hours this time around. The mile has been growing so much, Jay and Shannon, the event organizers, have moved on from their NASATX director duties so they can concentrate on the mile.

A HUGE crowd showed up Saturday to watch the goings on. We guess more than 2000 spectators were on-hand at the mile on Saturday. I would know. I was one of the people working the gate. I got so dazed, instead of telling people they needed to sign a liability release form, I was asking them to sign reliability leases. Friday and Sunday were not near as busy with the spectators.

The notable crash this time was the Hinson Motorsports Corvette Crash. You can find pictures and a description at thedailyhoon.com In the pictures, note the Texas Mile photographer, Kat, standing in the field. I asked her if she got any good pictures of the wreck and she said, "the best pictures you'll never see." I guess the Texas Mile people don't want to publish pictures of their racers crashing.

The driver walked away, but they flew him to a hospital anyway. One of the crew found the car's OnStar button out in the field when they were picking up debris. He pushed the button to report the accident, but didn't get any response. I guess OnStar's not all it's cracked up to be.

On to the pics:

The timing crew worked out of a nice air-conditioned trailer this time. They called it the VIP suites. The lowly timing slip runners had to swelter outside as the timing crew just pushed the slips through a crack in the window to be delivered to the drivers.

DSCN1647.jpg

Shannon, the Texas Mile director, was her usual cheery self (most of the time). When my wife, Mary, went to get lunch from the vendors on Saturday, she found Shannon there, without a lunch ticket, trying to talk the girl into giving her a meal. Didn't happen until the girl's boss told her Shannon was the one running the show. Shannon was even smiling when she told me about it.

DSCN1646.jpg

One of my favorite bikes there was the SV650S ridden by Dennis Nadeau. It is his track day bike and he made pass after pass on it, usually around 125 mph, sometimes a bit faster. I liked it because my previous bike was an SV650. I had a lot of great times on that bike.

DSCN1648.jpg

I had to ask the driver what model Ferrari this was. He said it's a California. V8 engine, hardtop convertible, dual-clutch transmission. MSRP $210,000. I don't remember his speeds, but he made a lot of passes with it.

DSCN1649.jpg

There was a television crew on hand, doing a documentary on "Big Red," an old-school Chevy Camaro driven by Richard Gottlieb. They had several TV cameras at the track and had rented a big cherry picker to get them up in the air. A good writeup on the car is on the HotRod site.

DSCN1650.jpg

Again, I don't know what speeds it ran. Keep an eye on the Texas Mile site for the results.

DSCN1670.jpg

This was the best timing slip I got to hand out in my short stint as a runner.

DSCN1651.jpg

It belonged to this car.

DSCN1653.jpg

Clarence, one of the CMA volunteers, rode his Boss Hoss trike to the event. Looks like he got hung up on the toilet paper.

DSCN1652.jpg

Here's a better shot of the trike.

DSCN1657.jpg

I had different wheels each of the three days of the event. Friday, I rode up on Rocinante.

DSCN1655.jpg

However, she was having some issues, so Saturday, I drove up in the Element. Sunday, a friend let me ride a Harley he is babysitting for another friend who's currently deployed. That's Steve's ElectraGlide next to the Street Bob I rode. I raised a few eyebrows when I showed up on a VERY loud H-D. I told people it was my back-up bike.

DSCN1663.jpg

We seemed to be down on the number of Lamborghinis this year. A very nice lime-green Murcielago showed up to spectate. This Audi made a few passes.

DSCN1658.jpg

And Vipers are nice.

DSCN1659.jpg

Bikes at the Mile

Yes. There were a lot of bikes at the mile. Twenty-two Hayabusas were signed up to run.

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1682.jpg

DSCN1660.jpg

But there were others as well. I loved the nose art on this Harley. It ran 175 at Bonneville routinely. The best it did here was 165, I think.

DSCN1677.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

Nice shots thanks for sharing. I had fun running at the event.

You're welcome, but I'm not done yet; just been out of town.

This was posted this week on the TexasMile site:

Texas Mile Newswire
Next Event: May 27-29, 2011 at Chase Field Industrial and Airport Complex in Beeville, Texas

Important Announcement - The Texas Mile is proud to announce its new home.

Thursday, March 31, 2011; Beeville, Texas - There was standing room only yesterday in the board room of the Bee Development Authority with supporters and the BDA board members. Several community leaders and business owners participated in the public comments section of the meeting identifying their reasons for supporting The Texas Mile making the move to Chase. Once the BDA members listened to the presentation, they voted unanimously in favor.

The Texas Mile inaugural event at the new facility will be May 27-29, Memorial weekend.

Chase Sets the Pace for an all new experience and competition for all new records. Come out and set a record at the new facility and make it on to the famous Texas Mile logo (logo will be changed at the end of the year). All records at the Goliad Industrial Airpark are now sealed. There is new information that we will be releasing as we collaborate with the City of Beeville, Bee County and Chamber leadership. We will update our website soon. Stay tuned for registration opening on April 11, at 9AM Central Standard Time and for all the new details.

We just wanted to let you all know that we have a new home!

Jessica Reyna
info@texasmile.net
281-303-1844​

Chase Field should be a great venue for the mile, same 8000 ft. runway(s), but more runoff area. It also has a lot more paddock space. And (most importantly) it's closer to Corpus. Unfortunately, I plan to be in Tampico over Memorial Day weekend so they'll have to do the mile without me. I guess they'll manage.

Chase%20Field.jpg

Here's Jessica and her sister, Crystal, staffing the registration desk:

DSCN1721.jpg

They did quite a bit of business selling T-shirts and hats.

DSCN1712.jpg

A year or two ago, some guy asked Shannon how he could get a red Texas Mile hat, he didn't see any for sale. Shannon said, "That's easy. Join CMA and work your b*tt off for the weekend and we'll give you a hat."

A slow moment at the gate:

DSCN1724.jpg

The CMA Hospitality Tent at the spectator bike parking area:

DSCN1706.jpg

And a few of the bikes in the bike parking area:

The first new VFR I'd seen in real life. The owner said he didn't want to spend the $1500 for hard bags.

DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1688.jpg

I think this is Mark's, the fellow I bought Rocinante from: (Man, that's some tortured syntax!)

DSCN1687.jpg

The bike parking area got so full on Saturday, riders had to park in the field with the rest of the spectators or by the gate, where we were.

Paul brought his AHRMA bike along, but didn't run it.

DSCN1710.jpg

Last edited:
A meeting of the minds during the lunch break on Sunday. Jay and Shannon, event founders in the red/black shirts, JC (Jay's dad) to Shannon's left, and other Texas Mile crew. Great bunch of people.

DSCN1720.jpg

The food vendors:

DSCN1716.jpg

The Goliad JROTC was on hand with a bunch of guys that did a lot of timing slip running and traffic directing.

Red Bull was on hand for the weekend:

DSCN1701.jpg

Shannon always hires a bunch of cops for security. The sticker on the 4-wheeler says "Cool Cop": (Jay and JC are/were police, I believe. Jay one time was at the finish line as a car blasted past. He said, "175." He was right on, within a mile or two an hour. Who needs timing gear?

DSCN1661.jpg

I was gassing up Rocinante in Yorktown in October or November last year, talking with a couple police at the gas station and one said, "You look familiar." We finally decided we'd seen each other at the Mile a few weeks earlier.

The car wash folks even polished up one of their cruisers for them:

DSCN1718.jpg

This van showed up as things were winding down (still had to pay the $15 to get in.)

DSCN1723.jpg

And then it was time for everybody to pack up and head home. Goodbye to the Goliad County Airport in Berclair. Had a great time there.

DSCN1711.jpg

Back