• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thunderstorms, hail, tornadoes and broken motos

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Taylor
As soon as the last trip was over I started planning for the next one. This time it was supposed to be a trip to NW Arkansas to enjoy the springtime crisp air. The trip started with several but as the time drew closer the herd dwindled down to two bikes with three passengers. Yes, this would be Sandy's first long trip on the cycle. We had done a few excursions stringing short days together. But this trip would start and end with over 500 miles in each of those days. Total trip length would be five days and if the plan went through we would ride a little over 2,000 miles. :trust:

As the day approached we started watching the weather. Forecasts called for late evening thunderstorms in OK and NW Arkansas with the cold front passing; late enough that we should be able to arrive ahead of the storms. The night before leaving the front stalled over eastern OK. :doh: Scattered storms forecast for the afternoon. OK, we'll leave a little earlier to allow for weather should it occur. We can get weather radar over our smart phones so we can adjust the plan if needed. And I promised my mother that I would call at every gas stop so she would know where we were. Kickstands up at 0700.

Sandy ready to go.

01.jpg

03.jpg

First stop was for food, of course. The Little Czech Bakery in West, TX for kolaches. :eat: A passerby offered to catch all three of us in a photo; thank you. L to R: Sandy, Bruce, Perry.

02.jpg

We made it through Dallas with little trouble and on north into OK using US69. We rode between a couple thunderstorm cells on the north side of Dallas without needing rain gear. In Atoka we found a little Mexican cafe that had a couple state trooper cars parked out front; a good sign. A good lunch and back on the bikes. North of Mcalester, OK the skies got really dark ahead and we started seeing lighting. One strike close enough to hear as soon as we saw the strike. Then we got caught by the rain.

04.jpg

I have a problem judging when to stop and don the rain gear. Maybe I think if I don't put it on I won't need it. Maybe I need new gear that breathes better so I don't get steamed inside. Maybe putting it on is like admitting defeat. I don't know. Anyway we got pretty wet before stopping to put on the rain gear so we got real wet. So wet that we decide to skip the pants and just go with tops. We rode on in light rain.

When we got to IH 40 we turned east. This turn put us right in line with the heaviest of the storms and before long we were riding through torrential downpours. Boots filled with water and we got thoroughly soaked. At times we would have to switch on the emergency flashers and slow down to 30 mph as we slogged on through the storm. The median and ditches along the interstate were full of water showing only a couple of feet of land between the road and the water. I told Sandy over the intercom that as long as we can see mud between the road and the water it would be OK. :trust: We had a fuel stopped planned in Sallisaw and it came just in time. We were starting to get chilled even though the air temp was only 60, the rain was colder than the air. We all agreed to take a break and let the storms blow over. :giveup:

Within a few minutes of getting settled in at the gas station the hail came down. bikes were under cover up by the front door and we watched from inside. A cup of hot chocolate and some candy bars were very welcome as we studied the weather radar. From Sallisaw we were heading north along US59 and it looked like the line of storms would pass to the east if we just waited a while. We stayed there for about 45 minutes. To stay warm we went ahead and put the dry rain gear on under out soaked riding gear to keep warm and that worked well.

Going north on 59 we rode through several areas that rivers had come out of their banks with houses about half under the water. The last stretch took about an hour and 45 minutes and we arrived at my mother's house in Bella Vista only about an hour later than the original plan.

Tuesday; High water

The roads were still wet Tuesday morning but the forecast called for a dry day until late afternoon, early evening. We had dry gear thanks to mom's dryer. Sandy opted to stay at the house for this day. Perry and I got out on the dry roads around 1000. I had a ride of about 250-300 miles planned for each day. With the late start I would just wing it on the GPS. I told it to take me to Beaver, Arkansas and off we went.

I am always amazed how green everything is up here. Especially with all the rain this spring.

05.jpg

The ride to Beaver takes a little over an hour. Pulling into town it was obvious we were not going across the bridge as the water was almost up to the the store and ......

06.jpg

My plan was to turn around and park the bikes on a relatively level spot. Nice plan but execution didn't quite follow the plan. As I slowed to make the turn gravity took over and combined with the grade and bank of the road I lost it. No excuses just poor riding. I had no room on the edge of the road to try to jab and hold the bike up it just rolled over into the ditch. :doh:

Perry dismounted and ran over to help pick up but instead I handed him the camera; rules is rules. :deal:

07.jpg

08.jpg

She stood up with surprisingly little effort and we pushed her over to a spot that was stable enough to do a damage assessment. The running board bracket took most of the weight along with the front edge of the saddlebag guard. A couple small scratches on the bottom edge of the bag that you have to get on the ground to see. The windshield was bent and thus broken as the bike came to rest against he side of the hill. And that was it.

09.jpg

I removed the broken bits of windshield and put them in the tour pack. With all the excitement over we walked down to look at the bridge. Almost under and definitely not useable.

10.jpg

My bike started up without any hesitation, that was good. We rode back around the way we came and on into Eureka Springs. A very different ride without the windshield. I could no longer hear the stock exhaust and realized maybe that is why folks put on louder pipes. I would have to stop at a dealer and get a replacement.

We cut the day's ride short by only riding the upper half of The Pig Trail, AR23, and heading back to Rogers where I knew there was an HD dealer. I asked at the counter if they had one and they even had a selection of different heights to chose from. I chose one 2 inches shorter than stock and since I was taking it apart got a nice chrome accent strip as a peace offering for the bike. 15 minutes to install and all was well.

11.jpg

We had a discussion about how the tip over happened. Lots of talk about physics and how the slope of the road surface caused gravity to roll the bike to the right. Then I mentioned to Perry that I had lost the Gremlin Bell he had given me a couple of weeks before the trip. It had been attached by a tie wrap that must have broken. We agreed that was what caused the fall. So, he got me a new one and back at the garage I found a place to mount it where it would not fall off.

12.jpg

As we were getting ready for dinner the rain started and it brought a good bit of hail. Glad we made it back in time and got the bikes tucked away in the basement garage.

12a04-26-11_1757.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday

A total rain out. So, we borrowed mom's minivan and visited my Sister in Law and the nephews. Perry and I even had some time in the afternoon to visit some dealers in Springdale and Rogers and sit on new bikes. A good dinner of Mexican food and margaritas made for a good day, even if we didn't get to ride. Sunny skies were forecast for Thursday and I had a great plan for a great ride. :rider:

Last edited:
Glad the tip-over wasn't more serious to you or the bike..... Mexican food/beverage sounded like a good plan for the day too.

Keep it coming!

I got me some front page photo material there :thumb: :lol2:

I have NEVER seen the water that high on the bridge at Beaver. Pretty amazing...

Look at the bright side. You can now upgrade that old out of date AFD sticker to the stylish new Rhoda Mae approved version! Gotta love Harley for their parts inventory. They carry everything in all their stores.

Last edited:
Look at the bright side. You can now upgrade that old out of date AFD sticker to the stylish new Rhoda Mae approved version! Gotta love Harley for their parts inventory. They carry everything in all their stores.

No worries. I still have a few of the old school stickers. :trust:

Scott, I'm always glad to help out. :deal: ;-)

The storm we rode through Monday spawned several tornadoes in Ft. Smith and Fayettville. That same line of storms would later hit MS, AL and cause over 400 deaths. We saw a lot of tornado damage in Atoka, OK. I don't know how long ago they had been touched but the debris was still everywhere for several miles on the south edge of town. Monday was the worst storms I have ever ridden through.

Thursday; a great day of riding

The forecast for today was for clear skies and cool temperatures. For once they got it right. Bright sunshine and morning temps in the mid 40's. :sun: I had a route planned that would hit as many twistie roads as possible along the border of Arkansas and Missouri. We started with AR340 east out of Bella vista. There won't be any photos. As with many of the roads in this part of the world there are no shoulders to pull off the road safely and I preferred to have both hands on the controls so no road photos. Let's just say the civil engineers that designed these roads did a wonderful job with banking the curves. :rider:

At the end of 340 we went north into Missouri and followed MO90, MO37, and MO76 to the north side of Branson. We bypassed Branson and all the traffic that comes with it and caught MO160 tracking to the south east. We had been riding for a couple hours before making a stop at a small country store.

13.jpg

These are always interesting and quite often have everything you might need including beer, bait and ammo. We rolled on to MO125 and crossed back into Arkansas just before arriving at Bull Shoals Lake. I was pleased to find that even with the lake way above normal levels the Peel Ferry was still running.

14.jpg

The Peel Ferry is the last free public ferry operated by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department.

15.jpg

A boat ride is always a fun side trip and even better when it is free.

16.jpg

17.jpg

Safely across the lake we got onto AR14 and started back to the west. We stopped in a small diner in Omaha, ARKANSAS for a late afternoon snack.

18.jpg

Even at 1:30 in the afternoon there was a good number of friendly locals hanging out. Good homestyle food.

19.jpg

We crossed back north into Missouri on 65 south of Branson and turned west onto MO86. This would take us across Table Rock lake a couple of times. Every time we crossed a body of water the water level was only a couple feet below the bridges. High water everywhere as the river authorities were releasing water as fast as they could along the chain of lakes. Then MO112 through the Roaring River State Park. Some nice camping is available here, so long as the river doesn't flood. There was some evidence of this in one of the parking areas.

Back into Arkansas at Gateway and west on US 62. This would take us past Pea Ridge Military Park, site of the battle of Pea Ridge of the War of Northern Agression. We skirted the park on AR72 and I was able to catch one shot of some canon on display from the road.

20.jpg

We finished the ride on AR340 back the way we had started. Just under 300 miles for the day. It doesn't get much better. :rider:

Friday: the ride home

Another beautiful day to start out. We got on the road by 0800 which would put us home in central Texas around 6 pm.

21.jpg

All was going smoothly until after our lunch break in Atoka, OK. The wind started picking up towards the predicted 20-30 mph out of the SSE. Fuel milaeage dropped into the mid 30's on the Ultra but we could still easily get 180 miles out of the tank which was plenty long enough between stops.

Traffic in Dallas and IH35 south was horrible. We made Dallas at around 3 on the Friday afternoon and had stop and go for the entire trip around downtown. And on top of that the air temps were hitting the mid 90's accordign to the gauge in my fairing. Things rolled along pretty good after Dallas until south of Waco where traffic was crawling along less than 10 mph for no apparent reason.

We made it home at 6:45. It was a good trip overall. Sandy did great for her first long moto trip. I don't think I abused her to badly. Even with all the rain on teh first day she says she enjoyed it. Hopefully we can do it again. :rider:

In the tip over pic
Tires at road edge and no shoulder for your right foot ,that would easily through off your balance with little chance of ever regaining your footing

Just about as bad as a plastic shopping bag , they are liking stepping on ice

Looks like I missed an interesting ride! Joseph Smith's revenge ran its course. I'm ready for another go at Utah on Memorial weekend. Anybody riding from Texas to WSBK at Miller motorsports park in Tooele, UT?

Looks like I missed an interesting ride! Joseph Smith's revenge ran its course. I'm ready for another go at Utah on Memorial weekend. Anybody riding from Texas to WSBK at Miller motorsports park in Tooele, UT?

Yep, you missed it. Like your avatar photo. :thumb:

Very cool trip. I love the scolding look you gave the bike in the second pic. That'll learn her.

Always enjoy your reports Bruce, some close calls on this one.

Thanks for sharing, Bruce. We love the ferry across Bull Shoals, had a chance to take the kids two summers ago. One of the managers said that they are very short on money, and it won't be operating forever. The machines and docks look somewhat run down compared to photos I have from the early 90's. I love Arkansas! I am glad that no one was hurt on your misadventure. :sun:
MRD

Back