• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red River NM

Reaction score
Be easy, this is my first "long" ride and therefore my first ride report.

Thursday morning, I pull out of the garage to a light rain/mist/fog at 5:30 on my way to Goldthwaite to meet Collin and ride to Red River, New Mexico. The weather clears just as I get to Goldthwaite at 5 minutes till 7, our meeting time. Unfortunately, we had the meeting time right, just not the meeting place. I’m at the Texaco station on the highway, Collin is at the Exxon station in town. We resolve that issue after 20 or 30 minutes w/ a few text messages and off we go. First stop is Sweetwater for gas and a late breakfast, early lunch.
RedRiverMay2011003.jpg

Our original plan is to stop in Clovis for the night and finish the ride Friday morning. But we get to Clovis at 2pm (1pm NM time) and decide to push forward to the next town, Logan. At Logan we make the same decision to push forward, and again, and again, town after town, until 730 miles and 14 hours and 15 minutes or so later we are in Red River.
RedRiverMay2011005.jpg

We’re staying at the Best Western, which is nice enough except for thin walls. You can hear every step made within several rooms and hairdryers at 5:30 AM. A few assorted pics of hotel area:
From the front
RedRiverMay2011008.jpg

RedRiverMay2011007.jpg

from the deck facing the river and of the river itself
RedRiverMay2011011.jpg

RedRiverMay2011012.jpg

RedRiverMay2011013.jpg

RedRiverMay2011013.jpg

Supper at Timbers, one of only three or four restaurants open in Red River in the “shoulder” season, is a ribeye and fried potatoes along with a single malt and the last Fat Tire beer in the joint (so we’d learn later). Fred, our Ride Moderator, joins us and we plan our ride for day two

Day Two (Friday)

Wake up early and it’s cold
RedRiverMay2011015.jpg

RedRiverMay2011009.jpg

RedRiverMay2011010.jpg

This a free day since Collin and I were expecting to still be in transit to Red River. We have breakfast at the motel lobby (as we did every morning). Eggs and waffles to order along with self serve toast and hot and cold cereals. No meats, but still not a bad spread.

Around 10 AM it’s warmed up enough so Fred, Collin, and I head out on the bikes. First stop is Angelfire. Collin spent his first 5 or 6 years here and wanted to see if he could find his old home. We rode around but I don’t think he ever found it.
From there, Fred led us on a really nice ride on a seasonal road. Narrow and twisty with some elevation change and best of all, almost no traffic.
RedRiverMay2011019.jpg

Fred and Collin take pictures of each other on a rock. Not sure what that was about.
RedRiverMay2011017.jpg

From there we decide to go to Las Vegas, NM for lunch. Nice wide road with a little traffic. Apparently just enough traffic that someone with a cell phone took offense of our superior riding skills at mildly elevated speeds and decided to call the New Mexico Highway Patrol and report us for racing. As we’re cruising towards Las Vegas, the detector warns me of impending danger. So we check our speed to the posted 55mph. Then the detector warns me of another, and then another. Sure enough, three of New Mexico’s finest meet us from the other direction and pull us over. Well, the first one pulls Collin over as Fred and I continue on our way only to be foiled by troopers two and three. In our defense, we pulled over as soon as trooper two actually hit the lights.

Probably two of the nicest officers I’ve ever met. Extremely courteous and professional, the first thing I heard when I got the helmet off and the earplugs out was,” have y’all been racing at all?” , almost incredulously….like two fifty-something bald headed old men were incapable of such feats. They ran our licenses and were about to let us go when I asked where a good place to eat in Las Vegas might be. They recommended Spic and Span, at which point I asked “really, it’s called Spic and Span?”. Sure enough that’s the name. By now we’re all best friends and Fred asks one of them to take our picture.
RedRiverMay2011021.jpg

And it really was called Spic and Span
RedRiverMay2011023.jpg

and the food was incredible
RedRiverMay2011022.jpg

More of day two (and following days) later.

Mountains and Trees and curvy roads :rider:

Green Hatch Chili on everything :drool:

New Mexico, my home and native land.... man I miss it, love Texas but it ain't New Mexico......

Keep it coming with the pics!!!! So far I will say your first ride report is going well!

:popcorn:

You know how it's said a law enforcement officer can size folks up almost immediately? Well....I think I'm pretty good at sizing up law enforcement officers. I'm always respectful to them and appreciate what they do. I can usually tell which ones will be "cool" and which will be overly "authoritative." No offense to any law enforcement folks on this site, but I have never encountered a state trooper with an attitude. They are always strictly business. And....I've never talked one out of a ticket. Why is that?

If you dont play in the dirt your missing the best RR has to offer . SEYA

I'm sure it's not exactly what you had in mind, but read on......

Day two continued

At lunch and even before, Fred keeps asking us if we’re ok w/hard pack dirt/gravel roads. Collin is on a Multistrada so he has no choice but to say yes. I’ve ridden the FZ on gravel a few times when mapsource lied to me. If I take my time, no problem, so I say yes as well. So after lunch, we depart Las Vegas and at some point, Fred turns around and leads us back to a gravel road. He asks again if we’re ok w/it and we both agree. First few miles and all is well. We stop to take pictures
RedRiverMay2011030.jpg

RedRiverMay2011029.jpg

RedRiverMay2011031.jpg

About then an old couple in a beat up econo box car come up from the other direction. Fred flags them down and asks them what the road is like ahead. Wait, I thought Fred knew where we were. Hmmm. The old man says something, “it’s not too bad, a little rough in places”. The old woman tells a different story, “I wouldn’t go through there on them motorsickles, you’ll never make it. Too many boulders.” (dramatic license applied for and pending approval). They leave and after much discussion we decide to continue on. Honestly, it got rougher and there were some sections that were pretty washboardy, washboardish, washboa…whatever, it was lots of ripples in a gravel/rock/dirt hardbed road. There were a few protruding large rocks (boulders?) but nothing we couldn’t work our way around. A few miles later we hit pavement again. Would I do it again? Not likely. But it’s kind of cool to be able to say I took the FZ “offroading”.

My poor garage queen bike.
RedRiverMay2011032.jpg

As we stop on the beginning of the pavement, Collin makes a new friend.
RedRiverMay2011037.jpg

We end up on IH 25 to Springer on our way back to Red River. Speed limit is 75 and we’re a tad north of that. I have the radar detector, so I lead and set the pace. Again the warning comes, then disappears. The Valentine is giving me plenty of notice, almost too much as I’m about to decide it was a false signal and we’re creeping back up on the speed. Then three bogeys all at once and strong. On the brakes and back to legal. Then five bogeys. They’re shooting radar from an overpass w/five or six cruisers staged on the backside of the overpass. Twice in one day we’re saved by the Valentine 1.

We gas up and wash the bikes in Cimarron and then back to the hotel.
300 miles and a ton of fun. Thanks Fred.

This is supposed to be a rally for Region 2 of sport touring forum. When we get back to the Best Western, we meet the new arrivals after grabbing a bite to eat at Timbers.
RedRiverMay2011072.jpg

Now we are six. Jim from San Antonio, Collin and Fred from Austin, Stan from Norman OK, and John from Memphis TN. Oh, and me. Two FJRs, an FZ1, a Ducati, a Concourse, and a ST1300. We have a few beers, discuss tomorrow’s ride, and retire.

You know how it's said a law enforcement officer can size folks up almost immediately? Well....I think I'm pretty good at sizing up law enforcement officers. I'm always respectful to them and appreciate what they do. I can usually tell which ones will be "cool" and which will be overly "authoritative." No offense to any law enforcement folks on this site, but I have never encountered a state trooper with an attitude. They are always strictly business. And....I've never talked one out of a ticket. Why is that?

While we're eating at Timbers for the second time in two nights, two NM Troopers sit at the booth behind us. Of course they hear us talking about bikes and riding and one of them politely interrupts us and tells us he's a rider and would be happy to help us map our rides. Score another point for the NM Highway patrol!

:clap:

We'll be heading up to RR for vacation soon. Alas, we'll be on 4 wheels instead of 2 but I can always live vicariously through you and the ride report.

Can't wait to see the rest of this. If I could have gotten the time off I would have loved to go on this trip! :rider:

:clap:

We'll be heading up to RR for vacation soon. Alas, we'll be on 4 wheels instead of 2 but I can always live vicariously through you and the ride report.

You could always do what I did. Pull the bike on a trailer, and you can get in some riding while everyone else is sleeping, or shopping, or whatever. Just don't drop it while loading it onto the trailer like I did. :doh:

Day 3

As I said, now we are six. Fred, our ride moderator, has laid out an extended enchanted circle ride. Around 10 we leave RR headed west to Questa. From there to the north edge of Taos for last minute fillips and bathroom breaks.
RedRiverMay2011042.jpg

From there we leave the Enchanted Circle to go to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.

RedRiverMay2011045.jpg

RedRiverMay2011046.jpg

RedRiverMay2011049.jpg

RedRiverMay2011048.jpg

RedRiverMay2011047.jpg

RedRiverMay2011043.jpg

Now we head west on 64. I didn’t take any notes so I don’t remember exactly how long we rode, but eventually we started going up in elevation. I’m riding sweep and Collin is right in front of me. As we start seeing more and more snow on the sides of the road, we can’t stand it and unable to get the others attention, we stop for our own photo session.
RedRiverMay2011056.jpg

RedRiverMay2011053.jpg

When we catch up w/the others we discover they’ve done the same thing, but their patience rewarded them w/ even better snow and pictures.

RedRiverMay2011058.jpg

RedRiverMay2011057.jpg

RedRiverMay2011061.jpg

RedRiverMay2011060.jpg

Continuing up in elevation, we stop again for more photos.
A little over 10000 ft
RedRiverMay2011063.jpg

snow is a bit more impressive here
RedRiverMay2011066.jpg

Collin decides he needs a picture of his bike in the snow
RedRiverMay2011067.jpg

and needs help getting out of the snow.
RedRiverMay2011068.jpg

We leave the snow and head to Tierra Amarilla. We refuel the bikes and eat atr a small diner called Margaritas. Very good food, but it never crossed my mind to take pics.
RedRiverMay2011069.jpg

That’s the first half of Day 3

Day 3 continued

After lunch in TA, we head south. Again, I didn’t take notes so I’m not sure exactly where we were, but I think it was on 84. Anyway, it was pretty cool looking.
RedRiverMay2011070.jpg

RedRiverMay2011071.jpg

Actually the rest of the day’s ride was fairly uneventful and without photo sessions. We made our way back to Taos, where we rejoined and finished the Enchanted Circle loop. East of Taos on the Circle was probably some of the better twisties we encountered the whole trip, but more traffic than we would have liked.

Back at the motel we met two new arrivals, Jay and Lisa from Broken Somewhere (Bow, maybe?) Oklahoma.
Dinner at Capos with very friendly service and so-so food. This ids where we decided Stan, as the only returning member of previous rallies, was in charge of selecting next years rally location.
Back at the hotel, adult beverages and conversation and an early night.

Day 4
Stan has to return home and Jay and Lisa decide to ride amongst themselves, so we are five strong today. Fred, our ride moderator, has a route laid out that takes us to Raton Pass, into Colorado and back through La Veta to Questo to Red River.
As always, we depart at 10-10:30. Today though, it’s cold. The farther we go towards Raton, the colder I get. And the road is flat and mind-numbingly boring. That’s the only problem any of us had with Red River. There are some really nice roads, but they are spread out and the only way to get to them is straight, flat, and forever.
We eat lunch at a Subway in Trinidad. Before continuing the ride, we don rain gear to help ward off the cold.

I can’t find the map file for day 4, so this is from memory only. We leave Trinidad on hiway 12 going west. The GPS tells me this is the Highway of Legends. Legends of what, I’m not sure. The extra gear really helped, we stayed a lot warmer and the ride was pleasant again. I’m having fun again!
Again, no notes and a missing map file, so this section of the report will have a fact deficit. Pictures were taken here
RedRiverMay2011074.jpg

And here. I think this was above 10000 ft and where Fred suggested another gravel/dirt road. We all politely declined that offer.
RedRiverMay2011075.jpg

From here we rode into La Veta for coffee and pie
RedRiverMay2011077.jpg

RedRiverMay2011076.jpg

No pictures of the pie, but I had some sort of Jack Daniels chocolate pudding/brownie thing that was off the chart. From here I programmed in Red River on the gps and led the group home w/the radar detector so we could make better time. We arrived in Red River earlier than usual and finished off the beers from the night before, along with more conversation and general mayhem.

We eat at, you guessed it, Timbers. This time Jay and Lisa joined and we compared notes. They did the same route we did, but in reverse. Lisa had pictures of a bear they had seen on the way. Jay had a story about the only driving award on the trip, lucky Jay.

Day 5

It’s time to leave Red River. Collin and I pull out at 8 AM (9 Texas time). He wants to make it all the way in one day. I’m pretty sure we won’t. It’s still cold enough that there is ice in the cracks in the road, but we don’t have any problems with it.
We push pretty hard, stopping only for gas and bathroom breaks all the way to Slaton , just south of Lubbock. We did have one small misdirection in Clovis that cost us 20 or 30 minutes. The wind has been beating us up pretty bad, but seems to have laid down some when we come out of the Dairy Queen.
At this point I’m 95% positive I won’t make the whole distance today. Collin is still certain he can By the time we get to Sweetwater, we’ve been on the road 10 hours with 3 ½ to 4 more to go and I’m done. When we stop for gas I tell Collin I can’t make it, give him the printed maps and send him on his way. I get a room at a Holiday Inn Express (that’s why I sound so smart) and crash.

Day 6
I depart the hotel in Sweetwater about ten minutes till seven. I received a text from Collin during the night informing me that he did indeed make it home safe. An uneventful 3 ½ hours later I’m home and actually pretty **** proud of myself.

It was a great trip, I had the privilege of meeting and riding with some really nice people, seeing some great scenery and enjoying the open road on a motorcycle for the first (extended) time.

Phil

You could always do what I did. Pull the bike on a trailer, and you can get in some riding while everyone else is sleeping, or shopping, or whatever. Just don't drop it while loading it onto the trailer like I did. :doh:

I'm working on the trailering angle. I just need to find a freaking trailer between now and then. Oh, and gotta convince SWMBO that she'd have more fun shopping by herself for a day in a town full of folks she doesn't know. :doh:

Great ride report, by the way. :thumb:

What more to say? Thank you so much for writing all of this up with pics. I was having problems trying to explain what a great trip this was. Now all I have to do is send this to family and friends. The last part of the trip home was total crap. Riding in the hill country in the dark with misaligned lights and a tinted visor was horrible.

And I meant to get stuck in the snow... I thought it would be funny....:trust:

And that "wild" horse was tamed by me.

Some more pics that don't add too much, but I wanted to add some more..

Collin

116.jpg

119.jpg

142.jpg

145.jpg

204.jpg

206.jpg

222.jpg

Forgot the mileage details

2344 miles total

731.6 to get there (one day)
733.8 to get back (two days :giveup:)
869 while there (three days)

What more to say? Thank you so much for writing all of this up with pics. I was having problems trying to explain what a great trip this was. Now all I have to do is send this to family and friends. The last part of the trip home was total crap. Riding in the hill country in the dark with misaligned lights and a tinted visor was horrible.

Collin

Way to go Collin. It seems like it was just last year you were worried about doing the ride out to the Medina Pie run on the Thruxton and thinking it was too long. Wait, that was just last year :rofl:

Glad you all had a good trip and got home safely.

I'm working on the trailering angle. I just need to find a freaking trailer between now and then. Oh, and gotta convince SWMBO that she'd have more fun shopping by herself for a day in a town full of folks she doesn't know. :doh:

Great ride report, by the way. :thumb:

Wish I could help on the trailer, but I borrowed the one I used. As for shopping by herself for a day, don't go that route. Get up early and ride in the cold, cold morning while she's sleeping in. Then go to lunch and shop with her in the afternoon.

Wish I could help on the trailer, but I borrowed the one I used. As for shopping by herself for a day, don't go that route. Get up early and ride in the cold, cold morning while she's sleeping in. Then go to lunch and shop with her in the afternoon.

Good info. I just hate to trailer all the way up there for 1/2 a day of riding because I already know she has wicked plans for the majority of the trip.

"There shall be hiking and shopping and road trips and fun to be had by all.....I COMMAND THEE!" :rofl: Actually, this is the first vacation we've taken that's going to be a lot of improv involved. I'm loving it. :thumb:

Back