• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

James River Ride 4 June 2011

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Had a great ride on the James River Route out of the Hill Country Ride Guide. I've been wanting to check this 300 miler out for a while, but my schedule never linked up with events. I met a couple of hard core guys that rode thier Dual Sports down from Denver last week and traded Texas Hospitality for some company. We all dropped our bikes at least once, but they still work, and Doc says my broken leg should heal up in about 8 weeks. Thanks for the company Denver. Hope you had as much fun as I did and be safe on your way home. Next time we'll do Big Bend.

Attachments

• Cactus and Tree.jpg
    Cactus and Tree.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Mason, TX.jpg
    Mason, TX.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Cool Water Crossing.jpg
    Cool Water Crossing.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 216
  • KLR Road Grader.jpg
    KLR Road Grader.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Should've bought the XC Boots.jpg
    Should've bought the XC Boots.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 213
Sorry to hear about your leg, but that looks like an interesting ride, I will have to look it up.. Just remember Pain is temporary, but glory last forever!! :lol2:

Gary

It was worth it. We did the ride in reverse since we left from Austin. Caught the route just west of Marble falls. Very scenic. Careful tho, the water crossings are VERY SLIPPERY!!! I can attest to that. To be honest tho, aside from the 6 weeks recovery time, I would rather break my leg than stump my little toe. There is no pain quite like that!!!

So I have to ask, but how did you break your leg? I hope not on a river crossing!!

Gary

Sorry about the leg man. My last trip out there I made the James river water crossing okay, only to go down on a slippery little slab like the one in the bottom left of your photos because of a crack across the center. (Can't say that was the same spot exactly, but it sure looked like it.)

And wow, riding dual sports from Denver?

Tis a slippery business that water crossing stuff. Hope you're heeled up and back on the trails soon.

I remember my first time @ the James River Crossing I was standing up & I almost made it across..........It's a lot futher down when your standing up - OUCH! :giveup:

Just a note on that crossing. This October, I was WALKING my DR650 across the James crossing and about a third of the way across, the bike slid on the algae and my left foot slid under the bike as I tried to right it. Long story short, my left foot was smashed and my left toe was completely broken in THREE places(completely across). I self-extracted and rode 92 miles back to San Saba. I ended up in surgery and a cast and am still really healing from it. The crossings was really dangerous.

I have been told the secret is getting off the natural limestone ford(up stream) and riding on the natural gravel bottom. Its only a little deeper. Since Im still paying off Scott and White hospital, I am just avoiding river crossings currently(at least ones like the James)

my left toe was completely broken in THREE places(completely across). I self-extracted and rode 92 miles back to San Saba. I ended up in surgery and a cast and am still really healing from it. The crossings was really dangerous.

They do say that if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly!!;-) Sounds like you did this real proper!! Sorry to hear that it turned out so nasty..

Gary

I suggest using a small army of fellow TWTers to push you out, worked for me

Thanks for all the condolences. I made it across the James, albeit a lot slower than Webnal. How the heck did u do that. It was like riding on ice. I really didn't even enjoy that part of the ride. It was a sneaky innocent looking crossing further down the road I hit doing 35mph. Not the best idea I've ever had!!! Broke my helmet and my leg, but my bullet proof klr rode just fine after prying the shift lever out (glad that didn't break) and readjusting the handguard. Like kojack06, I popped a couple of ibuprofen and rode 100 miles back to the house. Had to shift with my heel cause my foot wouldn't cooperate, but welcome to the sport. All in all the ride was great and the crash wasn't as bad as stumping your little toe. If you can live through a little toe stumping, you can live through anything...

Looks like it was a great ride! I'd probably hope to forgo the souvenir photo and plaster cast but I'm glad you had a (mostly) good time!

What was ironic in my case is that I was coming off of a very bad injury from work(non-motorcycle related) and I came to the James River and remembered reading on this site about the many injuries(bad injuries). I figured I had nothing to prove to anyone and I would just walk my bike across and LIMIT the risk. Man, that didnt work....

The bad thing is that between the bike and police work, I am becoming a REGULAR at the Scott and White Surgical Pavilion. You can tell you are a "regular" when you start having a normal assigned recovery room...

Hey, Mark. You should have avoided that river crossing on the first day of TAR!:lol2: Glad you made it out of that in better shape!

Ronnie

Oh man, I had forgotten about that! :doh: At least that was finally a "real" spill! I did wind up with a nasty bruise on the inside of my left elbow where I made some contact outside the body armor. I cannot say ENOUGH about good equipment and Thank God I was wearing those Moose Racing knee guards under the Klim pants. I landed on my elbows and knees and got up and walked away.

How's your partner in crime Gregory doing?

Ah, you mean Gilbert? He's doing ok. We went up to Cloudcroft about 4 weeks ago and did some riding. The forest was closed and there was a fire burning. We rode to Timberon and then to Pinion and then to Dell city and back. We managed to get in some good riding despite the fact that the forest was closed.

Back