• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beat the heat - Colorado style

ed29

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
Monday at o'dark thirty I jumped in teh truck with the WR in the back, the dog in the back seat, and the travel trailer on the hitch. No reservations made, no firm plans, but lots of options. Main objective was to escape the record heat.

I wound up setting camp outside of Silverton along a creek in a free forest camping area. The view out of my front window...

IMG_0593.jpg

Temperatures have been in the mid to upper 70s during the day, and mid to upper 30s at night. I think that beats the heat with a big ugly stick.

I will be here until the middle of next week in case anyone else from Texas decides to say 'the heck with the heat' and head this way. Found a cool coffee shop with free wi-fi too.

A few teaser pics.... full report will just have to wait until I get back to Texas.

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

It is his vacation too ;)

four weeks for me...on the return loop from Yellowstone. Wait, five since it is on the return. Gonna be a bit cooler up there then I suspect.

Wish I lived there (again) . Enjoy. Looking forward to your report:coffee:

I was just there 8/6-8/8, stayed in Silverton, rented a jeep and a honda 230 , dual sport. Picked Silverton as it has the only place I have found that rents motorcycles for offroad use. From our balcony we could see the constant parade of motorcycles, cruzers and dual sports, up and down the 2 main streets, one paved street and the other dirt road.

Day one did alpine loop up to Cinamon Pass and beyound, girl friend in Jeep , me on honda. Second day did only the jeep as it got prettty hairy for my girl friend by herself, did hurrican pass. Pretty amazing place and as opposed to most places very offroad friendly. Passed a number of atvs and side by sides on the mountain. For anyone interested in Colorado, southwest is the place to go. There are a number of very detailed books with all trails marked. Pics, yes i know, but when I got that first unable to save message I knew it was ****. Next time not only will I check the batteries on the equipment but will make sure memory cards are in place. And for us texans, lows in the morning, frost on the cars one morning.

He eats all he wants... Food is out 24/7. He looks a bit funky because he got trimmed just about down to the skin for the Texas heat. He does well for a 13 year old pup. Two more teasers....

Yesterday...

IMG_0651.jpg

Today...

IMG_3085.jpg

My favorite mountain pass of the trip...

IMG_0703.jpg

See that path behind the sign? It leads all the way to the top of the peak. Huffing, and gasping for oxygen all the way to the top was worth it.

CaliPeak0001.jpg

I am at the last camp before Texas, so will be back in the oven by tomorrow night. Did y'all get the rain I shipped out a few days ago?

Great stuff Ed. I was amazed at all the Texas plates that I saw when I was in CO a couple of weeks ago. I guess that is the reverse snowbird location in the summer.

I did not take hundreds of pictures, was enjoying the riding and the scenery along with the comfortable temps too much. Here are select shots from the first full day of riding. I did a loop of Cinnamon and Engineer passes that day with an ice tea break in Lake City.

On the way up to Cinnamon

IMG_0599.jpg

At the top...

IMG_0600.jpg

There was more green up there than I had expected after seeing shots from others in reports. The reds and browns were mostly grown over with plants.

IMG_0602.jpg

Some snow pack remains.

IMG_0603.jpg

After the break the ride up Engineer was an easy go. Good road nearly all the way to the top.

IMG_0605.jpg

Nice waterfall with or without a bike in the frame.

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

On Engineer a fellow on a four wheeler offered to take my pic.... I thought he had snapped it and started towards him, then he actually took the picture. How about that pose???

IMG_0612.jpg

Just west of the pass is a small pull off called Oh! Point. It gives a great view of the hiking trail that heads out of Engineer Pass.

IMG_0615.jpg

Along with good views any way that you face.

IMG_0616.jpg

Next day I headed towards Stony Pass. Along the way is a large mine ruin that does tours.

IMG_0619.jpg

Looking back down the valley after clearing the timberline.

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

At the top I ran into a group of riders on WR450Fs that were DS converted. All had matching YSD graphics.... I had to ask. Turned out YSD was Yamaha Suzuki of Dalton GA.

IMG_0624.jpg

Nice bunch of guys.

Views from the pass were of course worth savoring.

IMG_0625.jpg

Some of the Jeeps around there were nicely modified for the mountains too.

IMG_0626.jpg

On the way down the east side.... cows free ranging.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Break and water time.

IMG_0630.jpg

Rode a water crossing through the Rio Grande on the way to Beartown. Had to resist exploring some sweet looking single track here. next time I go will have to not be a solo trip. Running the mountain roads solo is one thing. You will always see Jeeps, pickups, bikes, and quads all day, any day. Traffic on the single tracks is much less, so if I were to have an issue such as wreck or breakdown I might be in a jam on the single track.

IMG_0631.jpg

After Beartown I headed back over the pass. Ran it again later in the week all the way to pavement. It is much rougher east of that junction.

IMG_0634.jpg

The pass pic on the way back was the last shot of the day.

IMG_0636.jpg

Found a sweet coffee shop that afternoon with free wi-fi. Life is good in the mountains in the summertime.

Sounds like you are having a blast.. I have to get to Colorado sometime with my bike and explore those passes!! Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Gary

It was a blast. I am back the the TX furnace, will sort the next few days pictures later tonight, or tomorrow.

Not heading down the single track was the smart choice I keep telling myself..... but I also feel like that was missing a lot of good, challenging riding. I must return with backup!

It is the WR250R and is quite capable for my 175 pound weight. I have friends that are umm 'a bit stouter than I' and it is fine for them too. At 11,000 miles on the odo mine is due for suspension fluid change and I can tell it is time.

Ed, it was great bumping into you by the Howardsville/Stony Pass turnoff that day and having a good visit. Those riding buddies I was waiting on were finally located up the road at Animas Forks. Later in the day those guys decided to ride the singletrack off of Cinnamon at Wager Gulch that goes down to Stoney Pass road. I knew that was going to take way too long for the time left in the day and headed back to camp. They ended up getting into camp after 9:00PM that night. More adventure than I wanted.:lol2:

Maybe I'll see you in the Terlingua area when I do my annual 10-day birthday trip that I do every year in December down there. Take care.

BTW, that guy who was *****in' and whining about his Can Am UTV mechanical woes when you drove off continued for awhile more until I had to take my leave.:mrgreen:

Glad to hear you linked up with your group Thad. Definitely look around for me in Terlingua. I will be there full time by December. Look for Bob and his KLX too. He knows that area very well and would enjoy riding all over the place.

After riding several days I slowed down and explored closer to camp for half a days ride. First stop of that day was Clear Lake.

IMG_0640.jpg

This was one of those days that made me glad my bike has EFI. The short ride up was only 4 miles. The elevation change is about 3,000 feet over those few miles. A couple of the switchbacks were tight first gear turns with rocks or holes from spinning wheels of 4X4s, but nothing really technical.

IMG_0648.jpg

There is a small secondary pond just downstream of the main lake.

IMG_0650.jpg

Sitting a while soaking in the views was where this guy showed up.

IMG_0651.jpg

It is a Wood Rat, indigenous to the area, and moves in quick bursts. This was the only good shot I managed to get as every other time I pressed the button he moved out of frame.

On the way down I stopped at a couple of spots just to soak in more of the cool mountain thin air and admire the views.

IMG_0653.jpg

This road in view was my next ride...

IMG_0654.jpg

An old locked up mine runs rusty water down the hillside, eventually joining with South Mineral Creek.

IMG_0656.jpg

Down that other road is yet another abandoned mine. Some maps show it as a ghost town, though only the mine remnants remain.

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

This is where having multiple maps is important. Some maps show that trail in the last shot to be open to motorized access.... I.E. single track bike trail. Newer maps show it is bicycle, horse, and hiking only. The tiny sign near the creek confirms that motorcycles access is prohibited.

I met a pair of young riders that pulled into camp that evening who had planned to take off that way in the morning and connect up with another single track trail farther out. Luke and Curtis are college students on an end of summer trip with some very fast bikes. A KTM 450EXC ad a CR250R smoker. Both guys have extensive MX racing experience, and the speed that lives in youth.

The old guy on the heavy bike (me) was invited to go and took them up on it the next day. We blazed down the empty two track to the creek so they could verify what I had told them about the trail. My poor suspension was bottoming on the rock shelves and baby head rocks. Having to turn back from the single track disappointed them, but they were eager to see Clear Lake so I pointed them that way and followed.

It was still early and we had the road up entirely to ourselves. Even as we climbed I was using third and in places fourth gear to keep the youngsters in sight. I was also wearing myself out early and making mistakes. I blew a right hand switchback running wide. Fortunately that was the uphill side and my 'reward' for running wide was slapping a pine tree limb with my bars and arm. Spun my left mirror in its perch.

At the top and only 20 miles into the day I told the guys to go on without me. I would slow them down, or worse. I would not want to ruin their day of riding by wrecking and having them to deal with getting me and a bike off the mountain, or out of the creek.

They went on their way, and later at camp had to patch up the CR. Luke blew a turn on a single track and crashed hard down a hill. Curtis told me how he rode back and forth a few times before he could hear Luke yelling from the trees thirty feet below the trail. Cracked the clutch cover. Epoxy to the rescue.

Took very few riding pictures that day, here is a good one though.

IMG_3085.jpg

After four days of riding I decided to take a break. Took the pup for a long walk on Sunday morning. Packed a sandwich and icewater into my back pack and head up a hill to do some wildlife watching.

IMG_0671.jpg

That is one of the beaver ponds down the road from camp. I set up on a hill across the road to wait and watch for the beavers. I was partially screened by a boulder and some weeds, but the beavers were scared of my presence anyway. During the first couple of hours of watching them they would dive and swim away under water if I so much as moved the camera.

Behind and above me on the hill was a rock field. I kept hearing something moving around and finally located the source of the sounds...

IMG_0665.jpg

That little guy was tough to pick out against the backdrop. 20X zoom and cropped a bit to get him pictured.

While the animals and birds were very aware of my presence on the hill the people were near oblivious to my presence. Eight people came to fish the stream and pond while I was there. Six of those arrived in vehicles and two afoot. I could see the trout in the pond move away from the anglers as soon as they raised a rod to cast. There was nothing swimming in the crook of the creek. All but one of the anglers cast into the swift water anyway. One young girl (one of the two afoot) picked her casting spots more deliberately. She walked the bank of the creek all of the way around the pond, casting only into holes that had visible fish. Of all of the people that passed by during the four hours on the hill only one person saw me. He gave me a big grin and waved a peace sign my way as he went by.

IMG_0673.jpg

It was a calm, relaxing day. Patience waiting on the beavers finally paid off with a few pictures.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Rounded out the day with another long walk with Buck, then a nice fire, a meal, and a brew or two.

IMG_0684.jpg

The camp had filled to capacity or more with a church group out of Montrose. Most had left by Sunday evening and quiet was returning to the mountains.

Monday I headed back out to Stoney Pass. Met Thad (TNC) at the turn off and we talked a while there. Stopped at the tee where Pole Creek Trail leaves the main road east of the pass. Seriously considered heading north on that sweet looking single track. Would have come out on the road over Cinnamon. Discretion and middle age won out over curiosity and I stayed on the main road this day. That is the same trail that Luke wrecked his smoker on days before. Even with help on hand it was well after dark before they made it back to camp. I have unfinished business with Colorado.... it is called single track. Will have to return with reinforcements and explore the tight stuff.

The downhill side of Stoney past the creek has a stretch of some of the worst rocky switchbacks I rode on the trip. Could be fatigue made them worse than they are, but I was bottoming the front suspension on the WR while bouncing down that hill. Payoff once things leveled out was the lunch at the lake.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Farther along there was a corral of good looking horses looking like they were eager to head up the hills too.

IMG_0689.jpg

Came back to Silverton via Engineer that day, exploring some of the side roads off the main. Not many pictures that day. Did stop at the Capitol City ghost town.

IMG_0691.jpg

An awful lot of people live there for a 'ghost town'. Only this building was vacant. Folks live in all of the other houses around.

Last riding day of the trip I got an early start. Had looked over the map the night before and saw just how many roads and passes relatively close in I had not yet ridden.

Stopped on the way out of town for a shot of the place.

IMG_0692.jpg

Mine ruins at Glasdstone

IMG_0693.jpg

From here it was up, up turn and go up some more.

IMG_0694.jpg

Beautiful morning ride.

IMG_0695.jpg

Stopped here for an unplanned break.

IMG_0696.jpg

The bike was losing power, pinging, and just not running right. Turned out to have nothing to do with fueling. The 250 was overheating in the cool morning air.

IMG_0697.jpg

A lot of the hills and turns leading to this were first gear and technical, but something was not right here. The overflow tank had coolant and it looked clean and green. Once the bike cooled I opened the radiator itself. Note, there is an allen head set screw that keeps it from moving. It was about 8 ounces low on coolant and grubby compared to the tank. Will have to break it down and see if the Safari is pinching the tube to the coolant tank. Obviously something is keeping the overflow from doing its job.

IMG_0698.jpg

Decision time. Do I trust that the bike will be fine and continue the journey, or cut it way short. After all at this point it is nearly all downhill back to town. I could coast from here if I had to. Cooled down and topped off the bike was running fine again.... Onward!

The sign at Hurricane has seen better days.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Looking down at the lake from Hurricane.

IMG_0701.jpg

California pass is a short ride from Hurricane.

IMG_0703.jpg

With views that must be seen to be appreciated. My pictures pale when compared to being there.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

Look how small the bike is in the landscape...

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Stitch from the top of the peak above the pass...

CaliPeak0001.jpg

Simply the prettiest pass of the trip IMHO.

Down the other side, into California Gulch wher there is another abandond and locked up mine.

IMG_0716.jpg

Finally saw some other riders on the roads.

IMG_0718.jpg

The KTM is way out in front with the KLR running in the middle.

The guy on the DRZ riding sweep was the friendliest of them.

IMG_0719.jpg

When I caught the group at the next intersection the first two took off while he hung back to chat. They were from Massachusetts.

After that I put the camera away for the next couple of hours while I explored different gulches, ghost towns, and loops.

Had to wait for the sheep to finish changing pastures in Picayne Gulch.

IMG_0724.jpg

This pretty much wraps the trip as the next morning I loaded up and headed back towards Texas.

I have a short video I am fooling with. If my internet connection does not give out I might be able to load it up.

Last edited:
Back