• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Luis Pass to Surfside, TX micro-Adventure ride

Reaction score
This is for anyone who was thinking about doing this ride. It is secluded, un-eventful and quick. I needed to get out on the bike and stay close to home and I have never ridden this stretch. We saw three dead dolphins, sorry no photos. It was flat with a consistent but subtle rise and slope in the sand that almost put you to sleep. There's no real reason to do this on a DS other than to take photos or be utterly alone. Me and Danny had fun and wouldn't mind going back if a group is interested.

6527654875_65322258a7_b.jpg

6527645871_e435c1c84d_b.jpg

Last edited:
there are several places, up & down the coast that can be easily accessed & ridden

here is a pic of mr happy, snuggled down in his bag, on the back of my wee

taken somewhere between surfside & galveston on lone star rally weekend

the streach between high island & sabine pass is another nice ride, though a bit more challenging...

Attachments

• Galveston Beach.jpg
    Galveston Beach.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Galveston Beach ll.jpg
    Galveston Beach ll.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 237
Utterly alone is one of the best reasons for a Dual Sport ride! I hope to do this route sometime. Thanks for posting up!

or then, you could run from the South Jetty(see attached), in Port Aransas down to the Mansfield cut

kinda like a mink stole...

a fir piece

then there is the ride down to Brownsville & over to South Padre & ride up to the sign(see attached)

& if you make it that far, you might as well slip back into Brownsville, ride out to Boca Chica & south to the confluence of the Rio Grande & the Gulf(also attached)

Attachments

• KLR : South Jetty.jpeg
    KLR : South Jetty.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 150
  • KLR : South Padre.jpeg
    KLR : South Padre.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 241
  • mouth of the rio grande.jpeg
    mouth of the rio grande.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 514
We saw three dead dolphins, sorry no photos.

That is weird! We just made a run down the beach on 12/22 from Sabine Pass to High Island and we saw two dead dolphins as well. I got footage with the helmet cam and will try to figure out how to post up or link for the more morbid in the bunch here. I have been a lifelong beach lover and we go alot and while I am sure it happens, have never seen another dead dolphin before on Texas Beaches. Wonder what is happening to them all in such a short period of time? Anyone have a clue? BTW, I also rode your stretch from San Luis to Freeport - it is real lame compared to SP to HI as far as DS goes.

Ride on!

or then, you could run from the South Jetty(see attached), in Port Aransas down to the Mansfield cut

kinda like a mink stole...

a fir piece

then there is the ride down to Brownsville & over to South Padre & ride up to the sign(see attached)

& if you make it that far, you might as well slip back into Brownsville, ride out to Boca Chica & south to the confluence of the Rio Grande & the Gulf(also attached)

Just add ferry to ferry on Bolivar to Sabine Pass & you'd have the Texas coast.

As soon as I get my XR200 plated, I'm ready for this kind of action. Is there a place to safely park a car with an open trailer? I've always get the impression Galveston is a mecca for car thieves.

real friendly convenience store in high island(less than 1 mi frum beach

or @ least there used2 was

maybe they would accommodate you +/-???

Surfside to San Luis Pass yesterday nice ride.:rider:

Attachments

• Joe's.jpg
    Joe's.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 416
That is weird! We just made a run down the beach on 12/22 from Sabine Pass to High Island and we saw two dead dolphins as well. I got footage with the helmet cam and will try to figure out how to post up or link for the more morbid in the bunch here. I have been a lifelong beach lover and we go alot and while I am sure it happens, have never seen another dead dolphin before on Texas Beaches. Wonder what is happening to them all in such a short period of time? Anyone have a clue? BTW, I also rode your stretch from San Luis to Freeport - it is real lame compared to SP to HI as far as DS goes.

Ride on!

or here is the link since I suck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-z5YBc_IY&feature=youtu.be width=425 height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash> width=425 height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash>

Is there speed limit on the beach?

Since SHNF is still closed. I'm thinking of doing high island to sanbine this weekend. What time is good for tide? Is it safe to park my car and trailer at the ferry parking lot?

Is there speed limit on the beach?

Since SHNF is still closed. I'm thinking of doing high island to sanbine this weekend. What time is good for tide? Is it safe to park my car and trailer at the ferry parking lot?

15 mph ... but I have passed a Galveston Sheriff going the other direction at 30mph with no negative consequence. Tides vary, you can find the high tide schedule on sites such as weather.com. I have parked many times at the ferry parking lot with a trailer and never had any problem.

Last edited:
been back several times since the OP and every time we see more dead dolphins. Weird.

15 mph ... but I have passed a Galveston Sheriff going the other direction at 30mph with no negative consequence. Tides vary, you can find the high tide schedule on sites such as weather.com. I have parked many times at the ferry parking lot with a trailer and never had any problem.

Got stopped in Sea Rim Park once and almost ended up with 3 tickets. State Park officers patrol in trucks. Good thing he rode a KLR in his offtime and let us go with warnings after jawing us for a good 30 minutes.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=966619&postcount=8

Also got stopped another time outside of HI. Sheriff or Park Ranger I can't remember. They were on a side by side and had a roadblock setup looking for ATVs mostly. They didn't seem worried about speed but did check all bikes to make sure they were plated and warned us to stay off the dunes and vegetation.

_

Got stopped in Sea Rim Park once and almost ended up with 3 tickets. State Park officers patrol in trucks. Good thing he rode a KLR in his offtime and let us go with warnings after jawing us for a good 30 minutes.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=966619&postcount=8

Also got stopped another time outside of HI. Sheriff or Park Ranger I can't remember. They were on a side by side and had a roadblock setup looking for ATVs mostly. They didn't seem worried about speed but did check all bikes to make sure they were plated and warned us to stay off the dunes and vegetation.

_

I was thinking of doing the Sabine to High Island ride (opposit since I live in Orange) but a friend at work said they tried the ride in thier side by sides and were stopped by federal authorities and were told that all land down to the mean average high tide point is clamed as federal property and part of the wildlife reserve, and anyone caught would be ticketed and possibly have their vehicles impounded or confiscated. They happened to have come in on the High Island side and the sign showing it as federal land was down so the officer let them go. So is it possible to make this ride and stay off of the federal land?

I have run into fed rangers down there before and they didnt give us a hard time, other than to check our plate and inspection and talk a bit about being safe yada yada. We routinely ride it and have never had trouble. Like Silverbullet said though, the old sea rim park (beach) is open again and there is a solid line of posts marking its boundaries which are off limits to motor vehicles of any kind. As far as Texas beaches all being open to motor vehicles, further south on the Surfside end of the beach motor vehicles are not allowed there either, as well as other areas I am sure.

I routinely hop off the asphalt as soon as I cross the bridge and ride to Surfside on my winter Sunday morning loops. In the summer, you get directed off before Surfside but can ride all the way in the winter. Got a warning from the SPD about speed once, they do watch that.

They took this down just recently, wasn't there last time I rode it.

112_1280_800.jpg

I routinely hop off the asphalt as soon as I cross the bridge and ride to Surfside on my winter Sunday morning loops. In the summer, you get directed off before Surfside but can ride all the way in the winter. Got a warning from the SPD about speed once, they do watch that.

They took this down just recently, wasn't there last time I rode it.

112_1280_800.jpg

If you want some company on a Sunday morning loop, send me a PM.

...but a friend at work said they tried the ride in thier side by sides and were stopped by federal authorities...

This is the problem. Side by sides are not street legal so not allowed to ride on the beach. Same goes for any ATV or dirt bike. If your friends were stopped by Texas LEO they would have been ticketed and maybe lost their ride. Anything but the beach (vegetation line and up) is either federal, state or private land so no riding allowed either.

_

I routinely hop off the asphalt as soon as I cross the bridge and ride to Surfside on my winter Sunday morning loops.

Hey Tom, if you show me South, I will show you North to Sabine Pass :-)

Headed up to one two nine Tuesday or Wednesday on the KTM.

Hey Tom, if you show me South, I will show you North to Sabine Pass :-)

Headed up to one two nine Tuesday or Wednesday on the KTM.

OK... West then. :lol2:

I just got back from a one week FFO last week. Flowers should be near full.

Watch out for them Wingers, place should be crawling with em this weekend.

Back