• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Last (Pie) Gasp of 2011 - 12/31 in Crocket

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
They ran out of pie! Still a great fun day, thanks everyone.

Fog inbound, sunshine outbound - Texas weather eh?

Since this was my 1st TWT grip & grin I wasn't sure what to expect, a nice selection of bikes, gear and riders. A mileage crowd as opposed to a doo-rag/loud pipes crowd LOL. Although I did see some of the cleanest GS's ever!

Had a great ride. Paul, David and myself, then picked up Phillip along the way. I loved the ride through the woods in the fog. It was beautiful! I had 290 for the day.

Jackie and I had an outstanding time today! Thanks to all! :clap::clap::clap:

The day began when we found this disreputable mob lurking about at the Exxon station at I-45 and FM 3083

PC310005.jpg

Rumor had it that they are all from the Conroe/Montgomery area, and you know what THOSE people are like!

Taking our life into our hands we set out with the crew

PC310009.jpg

Action photo

PC310008.jpg

Things improved slightly as we progressed further North.

PC310013.jpg

It never really warmed up past about 63 so it was a "refreshing" ride to Crockett.

I'll let others post pictures of the NOT-pie! Although the rest of the food was excellent!

When we left, it had cleared up nicely. Excellent ride home over both new and familiar roads. Great trip, glad to have met a bunch of new friends!

PC310015.jpg

Edit: Now I know what this meant. We routed down a dirt CO road for a while.

The more the merrier.

I'll work up a route, y'all got any suggestions? Anyone want a couple sandy roads? :twisted: Sorry, couldn't resist... :lol2:

Tony: "Oh, I don't know, it looks like we're almost there"

Me: "Yea, right, and I'm pushing a 700# pig with street tires. Let's go!" No drama but it way could have been. No "action" photos as I was a little busy. Can I get an ADVRider sticker for my Feej? :rofl::rofl: Great run!

It was like two separate days... the morning was cold, foggy and intermittent drizzle. After the fastest Pie Run ever (people left in a hurry), it was warm sunny and windy. I enjoyed seeing everyone, the food was good and a day spent riding is hard to come by these days. 370 miles for the day.

It was like two separate days... the morning was cold, foggy and intermittent drizzle. After the fastest Pie Run ever (people left in a hurry), it was warm sunny and windy. I enjoyed seeing everyone, the food was good and a day spent riding is hard to come by these days. 370 miles for the day.

You were there?:lol2: I didn't see you. It was pretty crowded in there for a while. I wound up with 404 miles today. Add that to the 440 I rode yesterday and it was a great way to end the year riding wise.:rider::rider:

Today was my 8th Pie Run this year.

'Twas a shame I had to mis it, but I have a BIG problem with the posts so far...

WHERE IS THE FOOD!!!:eat:

It was an interesting riding day. It was 38 degrees when I rolled the bike out this morning and it was 62 when I got to Crockett. Road in sunshine all the way to Athens then clouds to Palestine and fog from Palestine to Crockett. I meet up with Dan on his new to him 1985 Goldwing at the service station on the loop in Crockett. We got to the Mousehead early and as everyone else was going on in we did too. Finished up our lunch just after noon and left out of there by about 12:20.

I didn't get any pictures but I had the Coconut Cream Pie after I finished my burger and onion rings.

It was a gorgeous ride going home with bright sunshine and temps from 68 to 72 degrees. We took FM 2022 out of Crockett then FM373 on up to Palestine. From there we took 315 north until it joined 314 then 314 on north from there. Dan split off to head back to Tyler at Brownsboro. I went on up to Edom then west through Ben Wheeler and Martins Mill headed back to Terrell.

What a fine day for a ride! Foggy all morning, shiny all afternoon. Started from my sweetie's house in South Houston (MsBehavin got called in to work) about 8:15 to try to catch the group leaving 1960 and 249 at 9. I waited at the Exxon (there was no designated corner to meet) for 20 min or so, then took off following their planned route about 10 after 9. I caught up to what appeared to be a group of three harleys which were dealing with a road-raging pickup by riding 10-15 mph under the limit - I kept back a safe distance until 1375 opened up, then gave the old Connie the reins! I rolled into Crockett about 11:20, and since the designated hour wasn't until 12, I topped off my tank (3.4 gal/144 mi for 42.3 mpg). Pulled into the Square to find 50 or 60 bikes on all sides of the Square, and pandelerium in the Moosehead - from the front looking back:
IMG_20111231_113945.jpg

and from the back looking forward:
IMG_20111231_114043.jpg

Don't let these pics fool you - by the time the food came out, there were a LOT of riders there!

I had a bite to eat and met Russell from Plano. I headed back after visiting some of the array of bikes in attendance - Beemerbob's Ural got a lot of attention, and there was a group which included (among others) a giant Victory bagger and TWO Hayabusas with stretched swingarms.

'Twas a beautiful day for a ride back to Houston - 45 was not that heavy, nor was 610, and both were very fast...THanks for Pie, and welcome to Leon/Focus Frenzy, Pie Man 3.14. Y'all have a great New Year!

You were there?:lol2: I didn't see you. It was pretty crowded in there for a while. I wound up with 404 miles today. Add that to the 440 I rode yesterday and it was a great way to end the year riding wise.:rider::rider:

Today was my 8th Pie Run this year.

where are the pics????

PS: only made 10 this year.:tears:

What a fine day for a ride! Foggy all morning, shiny all afternoon. Started from my sweetie's house in South Houston (MsBehavin got called in to work) about 8:15 to try to catch the group leaving 1960 and 249 at 9. I waited at the Exxon (there was no designated corner to meet) for 20 min or so, then took off following their planned route about 10 after 9. I caught up to what appeared to be a group of three harleys which were dealing with a road-raging pickup by riding 10-15 mph under the limit - I kept back a safe distance until 1375 opened up, then gave the old Connie the reins! I rolled into Crockett about 11:20, and since the designated hour wasn't until 12, I topped off my tank (3.4 gal/144 mi for 42.3 mpg). Pulled into the Square to find 50 or 60 bikes on all sides of the Square, and pandelerium in the Moosehead - from the front looking back:
IMG_20111231_113945.jpg

and from the back looking forward:
IMG_20111231_114043.jpg

Don't let these pics fool you - by the time the food came out, there were a LOT of riders there!

I had a bite to eat and met Russell from Plano. I headed back after visiting some of the array of bikes in attendance - Beemerbob's Ural got a lot of attention, and there was a group which included (among others) a giant Victory bagger and TWO Hayabusas with stretched swingarms.

'Twas a beautiful day for a ride back to Houston - 45 was not that heavy, nor was 610, and both were very fast...THanks for Pie, and welcome to Leon/Focus Frenzy, Pie Man 3.14. Y'all have a great New Year!

andrew
we were so close..i was the one with the hi viz BMW shirt with my back to you in your second shot
chet

Sorry I couldn't make this ride. Chuck, thanks for all your pie work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my finger.

ALERT!!!!! at Crockett today it was brought to my attention that Lucy's on the square in Celina had changed hands (knew it had) and the service has become very poor. (did not know)

I also learned from the intrepid pie scout (sorry forgot his name in my old age) that the original owner has a new place a bit west called "Lucy's Moms on Main" in Aubrey.

reviews I have found are very positive and they have a good selection of pies!

Another great day on the bike, despite the morning fog. Just over 300 miles door-to-door for me.
It was great to get out on the last day of the year to meet and chat with folks.

Thanks again to FJRMike for leading the Clear Lake group up and back.

I think I got the last piece of coconut pie. :oops:

...and it was good. :eat:
But this "no pies" and "ran out of pies" tomfoolery has got to stop.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Thanks to Tony for leading the pack. Great time was had by all. Good roads, good food, and great friends.
Gotta watch those folks from Conroe - Montgomery area, they recruited 2 new riders!

Last edited:
Four of us showed up for the not so cold Pie Run Camp out: Centex, MacDaddy, Beemer Bob and myself. Mission Tejas turned out the be a nice little park with good access to lots of riding fun in the area. The campsite is in a narrow valley and sound carries very well. Over the weekend we were treated to concerts from two flautists, someone playing a hammer dolcimer and, of course, the ever present diesel pick-ups idling in the wee hours of the morning.

Bob had brought the Ural and was itching to ride some fo the East Texas 450 route which passes the park. So Friday Centex took off on his Connie to Henderson and Bob and I took off for the mud. We headed south from Weches down the ET450 route toward Apple Springs.

Enon Cemetery is a good place to take a break and shed some layers. It always seems a little mystical to me.
DSCN1636s.jpg

A stop at the Plain Baptist Church started a discussion of schisms in the Baptist Church that lasted about thirty second. With out familiarity of the topic exhausted we moved on.
DSCN1626s.jpg

A chain saw is a necessary tool of travel in the forest. We noticed several large trees across the road.
DSCN1647s.jpg

We finally made it to the Hamilton road area. By that point I was convinced that the Ural rig was perfect for the sandy and muddy condition presented by the ET450 track (it can carry a cooler, too!)
DSCN1664s.jpg

Saturday morning was FOGGY. Fortunately for us the secondary roads we took from Weches to Crockett were still a lot of fun at slower speeds. This is a shot on the dirt road that parallels 287 from Grapeland to Crocket.
DSCN1682s.jpg

Finally we made it to Crockett and the pie run where we met up with Agman and Mr2Much. Beemer Bob, MacDaddy, Agman, Mr2Much, and Centex.
DSCN1685s.jpg

Yea, I know. It's a rotten shot.
Afterward Centex and I headed down 21 and back to the home turf. It was a great time.

Last edited:
Didn't have the camera with me on this run & my phone battery was dead from searchin for a signal (Metro Piece Sheet) It was a great get together with bunches of other TWTers ....Even got Wingnut,WindyWillie & PhilHill to show at the last minute (non TWTers)

The roads up around Mission Tejas State Park & toward Palestine/Elkhart/Alto are really nice & worth checking out more in depth. The ones around Crockett were flatter & not so many trees so I'm thinkin I'm gonna skip that area for ridin (But not eatin!!)

It was good meetin new folks (CenTex,Meridan & customers! Hey Andrew) Wish we woulda had more time to ride around a bit but Agman's cattle were calling ...Hay Hay!! A little twistery on the way back home...but all too soon it was Hwy 7 for speed/directness. Even at that it was after 4 into Waco.....& Steve still had to get to Evant!!

Lookin forward to good weather for the next excursion.

We arrived early to find a full parking lot and an empty pie pan.
PC310306.jpg

PC310304.jpg

PC310310.jpg

Other people got pie!!! Why not us?
PC310309.jpg

We stayed late, bribed the waitress and got PIE!!
PC310317.jpg

250 miles, 15 on a dirt road, Superhawk, R1, R6, Goldwing, Hammer, GSXR 750, and 'Busa,

It was a fitting way to wind up our riding for the year. Good weather, fine friends, and great roads. The beautiful country of East Texas never ceases to impress me. Glad to see that Crockett is back on the Pie Run schedule for 2012. I really enjoyed the riding in 2011 guys and Happy New Year to everyone.

ALERT!!!!! at Crockett today it was brought to my attention that Lucy's on the square in Celina had changed hands (knew it had) and the service has become very poor. (did not know)

I also learned from the intrepid pie scout (sorry forgot his name in my old age) that the original owner has a new place a bit west called "Lucy's Moms on Main" in Aubrey.

reviews I have found are very positive and they have a good selection of pies!

I've been to "Lucy's Moms on Main" twice now and it was good both times. However each time it was for breakfast so I haven't tried the pie yet.

Well, the fog monster was out yesterday morning. I was planning to meet the Conroe crew but when you can't see across the street at 8am, plans don't work at all. Finally cleared off enough to see about 930 so off I went. I45 north to TX19, left turn in Trinity onto FM230 to FM3151 to FM1280 to TX21. Lo and behold as I am riding into town I see more bikes coming in behind me and it was the Conroe crew. Oh well.

Ended up sitting with the East Texas bullshippers cast of characters....Bill aka Pub610 presiding.
P1010633.jpg

Our charming photographer.
P1010636.jpg

Chuck got a nice parting gift....
P1010638.jpg

Shots of the crowd in the Moosehead....
P1010634.jpg

P1010635.jpg

P1010637.jpg

P1010639.jpg

Outside there were bikes parked on all four sides of the courthouse with bike in front of and to the side of the cafe. A great turnout.
P1010640.jpg

There was appearently an emergency meeting of the East Texas bullshippers..what it was about?
P1010641.jpg

As I was getting ready to leave, what do my wandering eyes see but Bill aka Pub610 being PUSHED STARTED. Somebody left his heated grips on. I know, no pics didnt happen but I was assured by the East Texas folks that yes pictures were taken, thus proof of the fopah.

250 miles for the day and finished up in the sunshine. Good to see everyone.

Wow - I really appreciate the plaque & was completely surprised. Susan made sure I came but I had to pass off stuff to Leon - we have ridden to far-away places the last couple of years and I'm glad he will be doing it.

We got there about 11:45 and I got some pictures in the parking lot:

d70_10354q.jpg

d70_10355q.jpg

d70_10357q.jpg

d70_10358q.jpg

d70_10359q.jpg

d70_10360q.jpg

d70_10361q.jpg

d70_10362q.jpg

d70_10363q.jpg

d70_10364q.jpg

We waited on pie at the end but finally gave up - the burger was great, tho.

In the Cafe's defense, I had told them 40-50 folks would be there but I think a lot more showed up. I probably should have called again on Friday... :doh:

Back