• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My First trip to Big Bend (or wear is my tire?)

Reaction score
Started Wednesday morning at 7:30. Met mr2mch at the gas station and away we went. Not quite raining, more than a mist.
bigbend2012003.jpg

Weather clears, we stop in Fredonia
bigbend2012004.jpg

and then in Mason
bigbend2012005.jpg

Our plan was Terlingua by Thursday night and back home by Sunday afternoon. Not much of a plan, just the way it should be.

Lunch time finds us at Coopers in Junction, some of the worst bbq I have ever eaten. The sausage was decent enough, everything else was just edible….except the rib. Half of it was too hard to chew. Won’t be going back.
bigbend2012017.jpg

Next stop was a rest top high above a valley on 285(I think). Pictures are taken and legs stretched.
bigbend2012021.jpg

bigbend2012023.jpg

From there, it’s on to Sanderson and then finishing up day 1 in Ft Davis. We stayed at the Stone Village Tourist Camp
bigbend2012038.jpg

bigbend2012034.jpg

bigbend2012037.jpg

Very nice property, nice people, reasonably priced, I highly recommend.
End of Day 1, 523 miles if I don’t mis-remember.

Nice pics! Keep 'em coming. Humorous that the Waco area folks all ended up at the same stop at Santa Elena Friday morning. Old home week.

Hey Phil,

Sorry I was not able to ride with your group out there. It looks like you had a good time except your Cooper's BBQ experience. The dirty little secret is Cooper's in Junction is absolutely hideous! The mother ship in Llano is much better.

Gotta luv that funky colored V-Strom!

RB

Hey Phil,

Sorry I was not able to ride with your group out there. It looks like you had a good time except your Cooper's BBQ experience. The dirty little secret is Cooper's in Junction is absolutely hideous! The mother ship in Llano is much better.

RB

Hey Red....That paint was supposed to be the "hammertone" wrought iron look copper color.....I was going for an upscale version on the Rhino Liner look.

Didn't turn out exactly as expected .....!huh
Just has this pock marked moon surface look in places.....

Hey Red....That paint was supposed to be the "hammertone" wrought iron look copper color.....I was going for an upscale version on the Rhino Liner look.

Didn't turn out exactly as expected .....!huh
Just has this pock marked moon surface look in places.....

I think it is good to be eclectic sometimes. It should make it easier to pick out in a sea of bikes at a pie-run.

:sun:

How was the westerly wind blast heading over to BB?

Happy Trails,

RB

On Wed the wind wasn't too bad.....& we stayed on as many small (er) roads as possible...even skirting I10 from Junction thru Ozona ..(mostly) on the FMs that run along either side of it. A different view of the countryside than the wide swath that is INTERSTATE TERRITORY.

Hey Phil,

RB

Fred, wish you could have joined us. The weather was better than we deserved, close to perfect.

Day 2 started with us leaving Ft Davis and riding to the McDonald Observatory
bigbend2012041.jpg

It wasn’t open yet so we wandered around and took a few pics.

And a couple from the road out of there.
bigbend2012048.jpg

bigbend2012047.jpg

From there we rode back to Alpine where we had burgers at Magoos. Pretty tasty, would recommend.
bigbend2012051.jpg

Now we’re off to Study Butte/ Terlingua with only one minor detour down what I believe was Terlingua Ranch Road, including three miles of gravel to get to the Terlingua Ranch Resort. At this point I hadn’t quite grasped the whole Terlingua /Desert concept. Well, not sure I have even now. Anyway, no pics of this part of the day.

We get to Study Butte and rest and have a drink at the c-store. Then we check into the “Easter Egg” and drop off our bags and head off to Lajitas and points beyond.
Pics a plenty in this section. Unfortunately, there’s something on the lens that makes it look like rays of light coming down from the heavens. Or………….

bigbend2012055.jpg

bigbend2012056.jpg

bigbend2012060.jpg

bigbend2012061.jpg

bigbend2012062.jpg

bigbend2012063.jpg

bigbend2012068.jpg

You get the idea. Back toward Terlingua w/ a stop on the way at the highly recommended pizza place, whose name completely escapes me. Probably the best pizza I’ve had in forever.

Back to the room, adult libations and conversations.

Really enjoying this. What was the route you took from Waco on day 1.

I could make something up, but probably better to wait on mr2mch to chime in w/the route. I mostly just followed him. His middle name is Rand(McNally).

I could make something up, but probably better to wait on mr2mch to chime in w/the route. I mostly just followed him. His middle name is Rand(McNally).

RAND MCNALLY!?? .....sir....I will not associate my good name with those map mongers......(the name is MapArt)

If ya can't tell....I absolutely DON'T like RMcN maps

Anyway....on with the show.............

We headed to Gatesville on US84 then on the west side of town took FM116 to FM1783/Slater Rd & FM1690 thru Izoro south to FM581 & over to Adamsville & thru Lometa.
581 junctions FM580 near Bend & then crossing the river take FM501 to Cherokee & on over to Pontotoc on TX71 heading west a bit further to Fredonia where FM386 takes you south to Mason.
From there take FM1861 south to FM385 & the new little shortcut FM over to US377 & south into Junction where ya get on FM1674 & FM3130 to skirt I10 to Sonora.
FM1312 & FM2398 will get ya over to Ozona & past toward the junction with I10 & US290 loop to Sheffield....picking up TX349 then FM2400 down to US285 & into Sanderson. From there it's pretty much US90 to Marathon..Alpine...Marfa....da dododo da da da da

I prefer TX118 from Alpine to Big Bend instead of US385 from Marathon....but that's just me.

Rod and Phil, man....nice pictures and report.

Looking forward to riding with you guys again soon.

Be Safe,

RB

Day 3, into the park.
We pack our belongings and head to BBNP. Lots of pictures here and I didn’t even begin to take all I wanted. Towards the end of our time in the park, the batteries in my camera crapped out. I replaced them but for some reason didn’t get back to picture taking mode until we left the park….not sure why, but I regret not having many pictures of the basin area.

After you enter the park, the scenery is awe inspiring. At almost every corner and at the top of every hill, I was yelling “**** yeah” or similar in my helmet. The **** eating grin on my face kept getting bigger and bigger.
So without further ado:
bigbend2012070.jpg

bigbend2012071.jpg

one of my favorites, probably my next screen saver
bigbend2012072.jpg

bigbend2012075.jpg

not sure why, but another of my favs
bigbend2012076.jpg

bigbend2012077.jpg

bigbend2012079.jpg

pictures don’t begin to do this justice
bigbend2012081.jpg

bigbend2012083.jpg

bigbend2012085.jpg

Before I left, the girlfriend asked how close we would be to Mexico. I told her close enough to hit it with a rock….so I did.
bigbend2012082.jpg

We ran into some shady characters
bigbend2012101.jpg

Three shots from the basin is all I took. I’m an idiot! Actually, I truly think my system had gone into visual stimulation overload and I couldn’t process any more.

bigbend2012106.jpg

bigbend2012105.jpg

bigbend2012107.jpg

And then it’s 7 million miles towards Marathon to get out of the park. Ok, not really. But 45 mph? Are you kidding me?

Any way, we leave the park
bigbend2012108.jpg

and see a small stand of bluebonnets
bigbend2012109.jpg

That’s the park part of day 3.

Next, the tire part of our tale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally checked out the video I took on the trip......

Man! that old camera takes such grainy..jumpy video.....just not very good compared to the vid systems now.

Oh...& I posted my trip pics on the upcoming rides thread.

The Chisos Basin is just a fantastic spot. World class. And Ross Maxwell to Santa Elena ain't far behind. Really glad you liked it out there. We rode a similar route down and back to the one y'all took down.

Oh, yeah. beemerbob joined us in Marathon for a late breakfast and the ride back. I think he made pretty good time on the way home. :trust: He was grinning pretty big. We were just making sure he got his new tire scrubbed in. :rider:

The visual overload is something I can relate to. On my first ride through the park I was overdone by the time we reached Sotol Vista. That was on the way from the canyon to the Basin.

There is so much to see out there.

Day 3 continued, the tire wear part.

After we leave the park headed towards Marathon, we have to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint.
BP agent, “how’s your day?”
Me, “awesome, how’s yours?”
BP agent, “good, are you a US citizen?”
Me, “oh, yes sir!”
BP agent, “be careful and have a good day”
He didn’t look old enough o have a gun, but I guess he must have been. I’ve noticed more and more people don’t look old enough, hmmm.

We head east from Marathon on 90. Our first rest is at a c-store in Sanderson, then continue east to the Pecos river, where we stop to rest and take pictures.
bigbend2012114.jpg

This is where Rod discovers his tire wear problem.
(pic is actually from later, at the hotel in Del Rio)
DelRio-20120302-00023.jpg

We pull into Del Rio at a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership at 5:45, they close at 6. They were friendly enough, but didn’t have tire that would fit and couldn’t get one till Tuesday. Story was the same all over town. We get a room at the La Quinta
bigbend2012118.jpg

and continue the search. We even called Cycle Gear in San Antonio w/ no luck.
About then, Rod starts calling people he knows. David, dahveed on the boards takes the reins and posts our problem on TWT and ADV. David made his first post around 9:30 Friday night, within the hour, I repeat, within the hour, we had a solution in hand. MikeinSA volunteered his house and tire machine and changing skills and WhiskeySmith promised a tire and to meet us at Mikes the next day. Both offered to come pick us up if needed. Keep in mind we’re in Del Rio, Mike is in San Antonio and WhiskeySmith is in Seguin! Long story made short(er), all parties met at Mikes, tire was changed and all is right w/the world. Amazing. Sincere thanks to all that helped and to all that volunteered to help. You saved the trip. Hopefully I can pay it forward when it’s my turn.

BBQ is eaten at the original Rudy’s, far superior to the 1st day’s BBQ. Then mr2mch and I head out towards the hill country. We end up in Fredericksburg at the Sunset Motel, another older property that has been renovated and is reasonably priced

bigbend2012119.jpg

Adult drinks are brought out and we celebrate our victory over the evil tire wear gods
bigbend2012121.jpg

The next morning is Sunday, our last day. It’s cold, about 35 degrees.
bigbend2012123.jpg

We wait till 8 to eat at the Sunset Grill next to the motel. We expect the standard greasy spoon and are somewhat shocked by the menu.
http://www.sunsetgrilltx.com/menu.html
How come there aren’t any cents in the prices? Smoked salmon benedict? Will they even serve us wearing MC pants and boots….and having not shaved since Tuesday?
We both order the Sante Fe omelet and I can safely say it was the best omelet I have ever eaten. Place wasn’t at all what I expected, but I’d recommend to anyone.

When we finish breakfast, we load up to leave. Temp is now approaching mid 40’s. We head out, first pics are here (hopefully Rod will chime in, I never remember to take notes about where I stop).
bigbend2012125.jpg

bigbend2012127.jpg

bigbend2012128.jpg

bigbend2012129.jpg

Then on to Kingsland (I think)
bigbend2012130.jpg

see my new trunk? That’s what I did while everyone else changed tires, lol.
bigbend2012134.jpg

Got back home about 2:30 Sunday afternoon. Great trip. Even the problem areas had a silver lining.

Started here
bigbend2012002.jpg

finished here
bigbend2012135.jpg

more pics here
http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu288/Liteitup_album/big bend 2012/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Thanks, hope you enjoyed it.

Phil

[Phil] We head out, first pics are here (hopefully Rod will chime in, I never remember to take notes about where I stop).

Well..Ring my chimes......OK.....That's the low water crossing on Keese Rd just off of FM965 near Enchanted Rock (Gypsum Mine Rd intersects Keese there too)

The shots with both bikes atop a high viewpoint are at the Longhorn Caverns picnic area climbing up from the intersection of Park Rd 4 & FM2342

Back