• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clayton report

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Jennings
You know how when you fall in love it's hard to think. You find it difficult to even talk. How about when your writing you newly enamored a love letter? You sit for hours trying to think what to write, but you can't because your in love. Well that's happened to me.

A few weeks ago I posted on www.twtex.com and www.klr650.net about going to Clayton, OK. After hours of searching I found a GPS track on www.advrider.com of a ride that was 65 miles and would supposedly take all day to do. Sounds like fun huh?

Let me give you a little history on my riding. Basically there is none. I bought my first motorcycle, a KLR 650, a year ago. My experience up until now has just been gravel roads in Texas.

Needless to say I was a little nervous. Well we had a good group talking about going, I think about sixteen people. Well early the week before people started dropping out because of a bogus weather forecast. Come on people, did you really think you could trust a ten day forecast? Needless to say the weather for the thirteen riders that showed up was perfect.

Backspinn and Greengoose both agreed to lead us around since they had been there before. Remember the part about me being nervous? Well when Backspinn decides to ride the first loop on his KLX 300 I was just downright scared!

Don't worry that didn't last long. We did a fairly technical loop out of the state park on Friday afternoon. My bike stayed together, if you've seen my bike that is a valid concern.

We rode some fast fire road, four wheeler track, creek crossings, and a good single track downhill. Holy rocky trail Batman this is FUN!

This is where that whole loss for words comes into play. Saturday was just a plain blast. Steep rocky, rutted, climbs and descents. 70 mph fire roads, trail that you would hardly recognize as trail, and a river crossing that made this a true adventure.

I did manage to take some picture mostly when others reminded me to. So enjoy and the next time anybody wants to go to Clayton let me know, I'm going with you.

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6152.jpg

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6187.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6254.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

The last time I did a trip report it was questioned as a fake because there was no bathroom shot. Well this should confirm this as an oldbmw report.

That looks like a blast! Except for the large rocks in the stream bed.

Gald everybody got home safe. Looks like a blast, and thanks for the report & pics!

Tom

Some of those are going on the front page for sure ;-)

IMG_6237.jpg

Resize and recrop this one to 350 wide by 87 high and I will add it to the banner rotation at the top of all the pages. Might want to try to get it so the people are a little bigger though.

Looks like a blast. Seeing as how my trip budget is almost nonexistent for this year, Clayton looks like it is pretty high on the list of realistic possibilities, especially if we camp. I'm gonna check the calendar and start working on this...

Fantastic pictures. Looks like a good time had by all.
I bet there is some hot water showers and advil hapening right now.

Excellent ride report and pics, let's start planning NOW!!! because I am definitely in for the next Clayton ride. I have to get me the aluminum bash plate to replace the stock one for sure. I am starting to gather my camping gear, spring break is in a week or so....let's go!!!!:rider: How did that tent work out for you? Did you have any get off's? looks like your bike made it okay. How long did it take to do that 65 mile course? Also how was the camping at the park?

As you can tell I want to go to Clayton real bad....
wheelianimated.gif

Wow, that looks great. I go up to that area twice a month for either jeeps or just driving through on my way to arkansas. Do you mind giving me the GPS coordinates to the entrance and exit? I think that would be a great road to take some beginer jeepers.

Thanks,
Adam

Looks like a blast. I will be watching for the next posted Clayton ride. I might join the fun. Did you get GPS logs of your ride ?

- John

I had a great time up there! the sat ride was one of my best ever. heres m track log of fri and sat

Attachments

• clayton ok march 06.gpx
    248.4 KB · Views: 241
as always, a great report with great pics. now i want a KLR R E A L bad.
somehow i think my GS would have a little trouble in most of that stuff
thanks Chris.

ken

Tourmeister said:
S
Clayton looks like it is pretty high on the list of realistic possibilities, especially if we camp. I'm gonna check the calendar and start working on this...

Let's go :trust:

jetblue said:
Fantastic pictures. Looks like a good time had by all.
I bet there is some hot water showers and advil hapening right now.

Hot showers are available at the state park :clap:

dbdolan said:
How did that tent work out for you? Did you have any get off's? looks like your bike made it okay. How long did it take to do that 65 mile course? Also how was the camping at the park?

As you can tell I want to go to Clayton real bad....

Tent was small, but I knew that when I bought it. I kinda thought it had a little more vestibule but that's ok.

We did the first half of the 65 mile loop and then did a different section to get some better riding. We ended the long day with just under 100 miles in about 7 hours I think.

State park was great. We were the only ones there because it was a little early in the year.

FirstMan said:
Do you mind giving me the GPS coordinates to the entrance and exit? I think that would be a great road to take some beginer jeepers.

Thanks,
Adam

It would be perfect for beginner Jeep riders. We did see a few on the trail. I'll give you the GPS coords on one condition...try and find a seat for me in one of the jeeps. :trust:

racerxr650r said:
Looks like a blast. I will be watching for the next posted Clayton ride. I might join the fun. Did you get GPS logs of your ride ?

- John
see attachment

barnett said:
now i want a KLR R E A L bad.
somehow i think my GS would have a little trouble in most of that stuff
thanks Chris.

ken

I can understand wanting a KLR, IMHO everybody does they just may not realize it. I think the GS would be good on 99% of that ride especially if you had some dirt experience. The river crossing can be avoided, but it would not be impossible to do and would make it more memorable.

I've attached the gpx file. The day 1 loop out of the state park is a fairly technical trail and not a good one for jeeps because of a single track downhill.

Attachments

• clayton1.gpx
    42.6 KB · Views: 181
i think my GS would have a little trouble in most of that stuff

It will do more than you might think. It just takes more effort ;-)

You're just not trying hard enough :nana:

Great job on the photos and write up :clap:

Clayton is a great place to ride and the state park is a lovely place to camp, all of which makes for an inexpensive and really fun trip.

Do it again fellas! Unfortunately, I won't be making the annual OKDualSport Clayton ride this year, but y'all's ride report makes it a little less painful.

txmedic said:
That looks like a blast! Except for the large rocks in the stream bed.

are you kidding me!

that looks like the best part!

of course, that is on the trials bike....lol

this actually looked like one heck of a fun ride!

thanks for hte write up!:clap: :rider:

Looks like fun for my ktm too, but I'd be stnding on the pegs running all those rocks.

Sweet! that looks like fun!

[mumbling]
ok, so I really do NEED a DS bike, there's a nice XR650 for sale just an hr away, for cheap... but maybe I should pay bills first... NAH :-D
[/mumbling]

Excellent report and photos. Back a hunnert years ago, I rode my Honda CB90 like it was a dual sport, 'course I didn't know what that was. I can see MTA is a multi-faceted disease. Now I want something for the trail. More gear, more bikes...:giveup:

Back