• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

‘76 Norton Commando 850

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Watson
I inherited the 1976 Norton Commando 850 from my uncle/God father was in 2004. I started working on it back then and paused. Family, business, and other things got in the way. And frankly it is more fun to just flat ride.

But now I am ready to get it running. I want to convert it to a cafe bike. I have several issues. I need someone to do a once over on the engine. I can do repairs, but to just flat overhaul the thing takes a little more skill than I have.

Also. I need to know where to get parts for this British bike.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tony Watson
College Station.

Tony I would get engine and transmission lined out first. Also I know it is sentimental and remember stock is best.
Grandpaul on TWT is an expert restoring British bikes. There are several others also. You can see some of his restored bikes he sold if you search For Sale.
Post pictures

What model do you have? Mk3 with an E-start? Does it run?
Biggest problem with the transmission was the layshaft bearing. The original ones were made in Portugal and while they make good wine...... Replacing that with a roller bearing is best.
Electronic ignition? Original Amals?
Pictures please.

For any questions you can get on www.accessnorton.com a great tool to use when you don't know the answer, just like twtex.com.
Parts used to be very common but so many of the old shops have closed. Check Ebay, I have found a lot of what I need there.
Commandospecialties.com is a good source of parts. Venhill for cables. How many miles does it have?
Remember Nortons have a POSITIVE ground, don't hook up your battery backwards, wiring gets expensive.
Contact me off list if you want.

Any progress being made? As you can tell I'm a Norton Nut, or just plain nuts your choice.
2019 RE 650
74 Mk2A 850 Norton Interstate
74 Norton Commando Interstate

Did you live in the Canal Zone? I'm a Norton nut also
Pat
Never been south of the border myself. Just sold 1 of my Norton's down to 3 now.
Haven't seen any replies since posting some questions months ago. Wonder if any progress has been made?

I was curious about the 76 Norton andread your post saw your name and zone, thought you could have been a relative of a classmate in panama. I have 3 nortons also ,a 68 P11a, 68 fastback & 65 atlas.enjoy riding & working on them.the P11 is for sale on EBay , selling due to knee injury and thinning the herd.i did not know there were Norton experts on this site,good to know.thanks

I have been riding Norton's since 76. Still have that one.
I'm thinning the herd too. Tore up my right knee and have put a CNW starter on one.

Cheers
John

I inherited the 1976 Norton Commando 850 from my uncle/God father was in 2004. I started working on it back then and paused. Family, business, and other things got in the way. And frankly it is more fun to just flat ride.

But now I am ready to get it running. I want to convert it to a cafe bike. I have several issues. I need someone to do a once over on the engine. I can do repairs, but to just flat overhaul the thing takes a little more skill than I have.

Also. I need to know where to get parts for this British bike.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tony Watson
College Station.
Any progress?

Back