• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

07 bandit 1250 gearing

Reaction score
Hey guys just bought me my first bandit. It's a 07 with a yoshimura slipon and a few other comfort mods. It has almost 30,000 miles but runs well. My question is the gearing, it has a speedo healer and with 18/43 gearing it turns 70mph 4000. Everyone else seems to run 75 @ 4 grand with stock gearing. Can a speedo healer make my speedometer read low?

Just want it to run around 75 @ 4 grand. I know I can Re gear it which I may do. Maybe 18/41 possibly. Not sure the bike would like it stock. I do have all of Dale Walkers stage 2 mods headers included. I can feel a surging around 55mph. I like the bike so far but I would like some more power as my last 3 bikes were hayabusas and one of them was turbocharged. Thanks for any help
t

there is a bandit mega thread where this is discussed. I like 18 40 gearing personally. Best feel and speedo is correct without a healer.

there is a bandit mega thread where this is discussed. I like 18 40 gearing personally. Best feel and speedo is correct without a healer.
Thanks I did some reading in that thread. I'm not sure my bandit will pull that gearing I'm a heavy guy. I may try 18/41, gearing isn't cheap my vortex sprocket was expensive lol.

Yes the Speed Healers can increase or decrease dash readings depending what is programmed into it. Sounds like the Speed Healer might be set for accurate miles as opposed to accurate mph. For some reason I haven not worked out, you can not have accurate both miles and mph.

According to Gearingcommander.com the standard 18/43 at 4000 rpm is suppose to be 75mph. Have you checked your actual speed with a gps ?

gearco10.png

Yes the Speed Healers can increase or decrease dash readings depending what is programmed into it. Sounds like the Speed Healer might be set for accurate miles as opposed to accurate mph. For some reason I haven not worked out, you can not have accurate both miles and mph.

According to Gearingcommander.com the standard 18/43 at 4000 rpm is suppose to be 75mph. Have you checked your actual speed with a gps ?

View attachment 273788
Thanks for the reply. No sir I haven't checked it trying to figure out how as I don't own a gps. I have looked at apps for my phone to maybe add to check the actual speed. I watched a video on the unit but I may unplug it and seewhat happens. Everything is stock not sure why the guy installed it. 75 mph I'm around 4400 rpm.

OK guys got to take the bandit for a short ride. I finished it 2 weeks ago but just now able to ride. Put a gps on my phone and I'm confused. The speedo is correct within 1 mph. Problem is every body sees 75mph at 4000 I only run 70mph at 4000. Can't figure it out bike has stock 18/43 gearing. I just finished all the holeshot stage 2 mods with headers.

Bike feels stronger for sure. I still need to install my 18/41 gearing just wish I could figure out why my mph doesn't equal everyone else's at 4000. My speedo and gps say 70 @ 4000. I'm a heavy guy I mean HEAVY like over 350lbs so I knew it wouldnt run well up top, I didn't hold it for to long and i ran 139.7mph. Guess that isn't bad.

Last edited:
I believe your weight puts a heavier load on the engine which causes the higher rpms at speed. Have a lighter person ride your bike and take note of the speed and rpms. I know when I ride 2 up versus solo there is a rpm difference at speed. The Holeshot stage 2 with headers makes a huge improvement over stock. I grin ear to ear every ride.

Last edited:
I would think that would mean the clutch is slipping which its not, heck I don't know but it's driving me crazy. I went and checked the rear tire and it's stock size 180/55 zr17. Not sure what the 18/41 gearing is gonna do now. Thanks for the reply.

Think of it this way. If you are traveling down hill at 70 mph versus uphill at 70 mph your rpms will be different because there are different engine loads - light verses heavy. You can always check another bike or have a lighter weight rider try yours to relieve you of your anxiety of thinking something is wrong.

Last edited:
Good point yes I need to find a rider that isn't a fat *** like me. Hope to get it figured out soon. Thanks again

I'll take mine out this weekend and gps it at 4k rpm. I'm 220+/‐ 20 lbs LOL. I wouldn't think weight would effect/affect this issue unless your clutch is in fact slipping.

I'll take mine out this weekend and gps it at 4k rpm. I'm 220+/‐ 20 lbs LOL. I wouldn't think weight would effect/affect this issue unless your clutch is in fact slipping.
I appreciate that, it doesn't feel or sound like it's slipping. The bike has 30,000 miles and was owned by a older guy so it has lead a easy life. I did a oil change and running mobile 1 synthetic oil. When I did a top speed run it didn't pull 9 grand or even hit 9 through the gears. Anyway thanks again and can't wait to see what you come up with

Just a update went for another short ride and really watched the guages. The rpm at 75 says 4200 -4300 rpms roughly.
Bike is a 07 with holeshot headers and yosh can, I did all the pair and charcoal canister delete. Fresh oil and new plugs also pulled out the secondary throttle blades as well as open up the airbox. Oh and I added the holeshot fuel controller.
Bike has stock gearing as of now. Still feel a slight surge I guess I'm wondering if I had it tuned on the dyno may clean it up even more. It's not that big a deal but I am curious as to what the air fuel ratio is.

Another update the wife and I went for a short ride other night. The bike has more power but sadly not enough to pull us two up as comfortable as I would like. I'm a heavy guy really heavy which is hurting us big time I know. I bought all new sprockets and chain but feel the Re gear the bike won't pull it two up. Not sure what to do at this point. The bike is so comfortable and has all the goodies. I think I'm gonna have to be happy with stock gearing and the buzz that comes with it.

Everyone was hauling butt on the freeway because I had to run 80 - 85 mph to run with traffic, don't like that but at 70mph they were all over me. Anyway I will post back if I figure out anything else to do.

Another update the wife and I went for a short ride other night. The bike has more power but sadly not enough to pull us two up as comfortable as I would like. I'm a heavy guy really heavy which is hurting us big time I know. I bought all new sprockets and chain but feel the Re gear the bike won't pull it two up. Not sure what to do at this point. The bike is so comfortable and has all the goodies. I think I'm gonna have to be happy with stock gearing and the buzz that comes with it.

Everyone was hauling butt on the freeway because I had to run 80 - 85 mph to run with traffic, don't like that but at 70mph they were all over me. Anyway I will post back if I figure out anything else to do.
You can always purchase a Boss Hoss. I am sure that will have enough beans to carry the weight.

Old thread, but useful so..

increase the air pressure in the tires a bit (But in a safe range)
‘Perhaps research ways of reducing felt vibration, lots of tricks here
investigate physician supervised water fasting
Have an ultralight girlfriend

Back