• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1-2-3 Farm to Market roads; stop & smell the roses -- a sister thread

C

cruisin

I really like the Farm to Market road thread and it stands well on it's own but during the course of getting those pictures are we getting any others? I am an avid photographer and stopping to shoot pictures of my meanderings is how I "stop and smell the roses". So, I'm offering this up as a sister thread to that one in that if you have pictures of anything interesting to go along with the road sign pictures then post them here along with where they are found by the FM # and maybe a short sentence or two if there is anything special to tell.

First up are the pics I shot on FM 296 approximately 20 miles east of Texline, 12/20/08. Old farm houses, barns, windmills and equipment is rich fodder for photography hounds.

If yo are so inclined, please add to this so that others might have the same opportunity to see what you saw.

Attachments

• !296.r.05.jpg
    !296.r.05.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 319
  • !296.r.06.jpg
    !296.r.06.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 297
  • !296.r.13.jpg
    !296.r.13.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 300
  • !296.r.17.jpg
    !296.r.17.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 319
  • !296.r.18.jpg
    !296.r.18.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 319
two more from FM 296

Attachments

• !296.r.23.jpg
    !296.r.23.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 322
  • !296.r.22.jpg
    !296.r.22.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 297
and from FM 998 12/20/08 ~8 miles SE of Hartley. Proof that there are some hills in the Panhandle; albeit not many! ;-)

Attachments

• !998.r.01.jpg
    !998.r.01.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 304
  • !998.r.02.jpg
    !998.r.02.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 310
  • !998.r.03.jpg
    !998.r.03.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 297
Nice pictures. I always start out with plans to take lots of picturs, then end up with very few.

Any more shots of that old Studie? Looks like it would make a fine street rod hauler.

Don't know if these will help but they're about the only other angles I have.

Attachments

• !296.r.25.jpg
    !296.r.25.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 289
  • !296.r.24.jpg
    !296.r.24.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 299
I think this is a great idea. :clap: :clap:

I on the other hand, am about the :rider: and not the "roses". :oops: Mostly because I don't know what a beautiful rose looks like. :doh: That and that I often forget to grab the camera.:headbang: Like Saturday, the plan was to get some work done on the bike in Alamogordo then head to El Paso for a pic of FM76. Well, I forgot the camera and missed some beautiful pics of riding through the mountains in Cloudcroft surrounded by snow. :tears: If you have ever been there, you know what I mean.

To those that take the time to smell the "roses". :bow: :bow:

There are a variety of reasons that I take the time for pics like these; one of course is the obvious -- a love of photography. Then the not so obvious; I regret not having more pictures of early rides when I was younger. In fact, I have no pictures at all of my first motorcycle from 1968 through 1970. It was a 1964 Honda 90. The pictures I do have start with my 1968 Honda CB 350 but they are too few. Like many of you now, I was always in a hurry to get from point A to point B and didn't take nearly enough time to soak it all in. Now days I take that time because I know that some day I will no longer be able to do this and the pictures will allow me to continue the vivid memories. A couple of examples of stopping to smell the roses that I have shared before but I don't think anyone will mind seeing again are my day ride May 12, 2007 and the Chromheads in the hill country 2008. Nothing wrong with getting there your own way but don't let too much of it pass you by too fast.

I regret not having more pictures of early rides when I was younger. In fact, I have no pictures at all of my first motorcycle from 1968 through 1970. It was a 1964 Honda 90..

My first bike was a 1967 Honda 90S. The one with a chrome tank and black knee pads.

The pictures I do have start with my 1968 Honda CB 350 but they are too few.

:giveup: Mine a 2003 Bandit.:doh:

Nothing wrong with getting there your own way but don't let too much of it pass you by too fast.

I hope I live long enough to smell the roses. Maybe when I hit 50.:lol2:

My first bike was a 1967 Honda 90S. The one with a chrome tank and black knee pads.

:giveup: Mine a 2003 Bandit.:doh:

I hope I live long enough to smell the roses. Maybe when I hit 50.:lol2:

It's never too early to start; but it can become to late.

Cruisin, what a great thread idea! With your permission, can I post a link to it over on post#1 of the FM Road thread?

Might even work out a way where you and I can keep track of individual posts here and link them to the pictures of the road numbers on Post #1... Just thinking out loud.

Cruisin, what a great thread idea! With your permission, can I post a link to it over on post#1 of the FM Road thread?

Might even work out a way where you and I can keep track of individual posts here and link them to the pictures of the road numbers on Post #1... Just thinking out loud.

link away my friend; I'll do all I can to help, but will say up front that I am not the sharpest marble in the bag when it comes to computers and websites.

Trying to do a better job of taking more pictures.

Bombed around E. Tx with Sully a few weeks ago and got these. Our pulling off the road wasn't working so well after the rain we'd had...

Couldn't believe Sully got the bike out of this without some pushing:

JACKMUD.jpg

I wish I could say that wasn't my bike or that the red clay somehow splattered up onto my crash bars but that's not exactly accurate.

REDCLAY.jpg

I don't remember exactly where this one was but I think it was that one East Texas town, you know, the one with the church and the Dairy Queen.

NEAR82.jpg

The old Graham Post Office while locating FM61.

graham_PO_6106q.JPG

The Rockwall County Courthouse while after FM35

d70_6163q.JPG

The Hopkins County Courthouse in Sulphur Springs

hopkins_sulphur_springs_6169q.JPG

:mrgreen:

This friendly dog wanted to go along so bad he almost got hit by a car. The cows didn't want any part of the astronaut on the bike.

Jan09029.jpg

Grimes County was a popular destination for early settlers in covered wagons for it's friendly dogs and relaxing buddist retreats.

Jan09083.jpg

Grimes County was a popular destination for early settlers in covered wagons for it's friendly dogs and relaxing buddist retreats.
:deal:

Here's some cool sculpture I saw near Crockett going after some higher number roads:

451064419_jaVoM-L.jpg

Back