• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1-2-3 Farm to Market roads; stop & smell the roses -- a sister thread

And after the Chick Town RTE, maybe this would be good choice...

PlumPuddingRd2.jpg

On fm 1375 today. Too bad all I had was my phone, it was beautiful out there and this pic does not do justice.

Spring001.jpg

I like this thread but always have trouble finding it. Can we get it transferred over to the 'special projects and games' subcategory (along where the 'sequential FM' thread is)? Pretty please? ;-)

I have several oddities and photos to post but since smugmug is having issues this evening, I'm resorting to webshots.

Along FM 1187 south of Aledo is a huge -and I mean HUGE- cow. She's regal, statuesque, and silent. Why she's there? I don't have a clue, but I remember the first time I rode by her and I did an about turn ('Did I just see what I think I saw???')

I often ride FM1187 as a long-cut home from the mid-MetroMess. Not by any means a short cut, sort of a 'long-way-round', but a scenic round about way. And I'm always attracted to the old commercial street at the top of the hill near the RR tracks in Aledo.

If times allows and the urge grabs me, I'll ride up to the boardwalk and sit a spell. The traffic is horrendous because it is a short-cut to I-20, but sitting on the porch in front of the old store fronts almost provides an intangible barrier to the traffic. It's like sitting on old store porches 50 years ago, the grain mill towering over everything to the east, and watching the future roll along the road. You are there but not there as if sitting on a fence that bridges two time periods. I like that feeling.

And I've gotten some great photographs from there.

The friend riding with me this time had his camera on him. Wanting to share this cowasaur (bovine dinosaur?), I pulled off the road in front to stop and capture it in pixels.

2427106710100746484S500x500Q85.jpg

If you look closely in the foreground, you will see floodlights on the fence in front. Sometime, I plan to stop and set up for a night shot of Cow Aglow in the dark. That might render some interesting shots.

Without further adieu, here she be: Ms. Aledo Cow.

2618506050100746484S600x600Q85.jpg

I love that cow. I smile every time I ride past it. Here she is all decked out for Independence Day.

P7050007.jpg

Well, I went out searching the southwest corner of the Panhandle for more FM Road signs, and I stumbled it. This is the mythical "No Where".

and you looked to be smack dab in the middle of it too.

Saw this at a gas stop north of Henderson yesterday:

Show us your cupcakes! :dude:

516241060_NEHMn-L.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone tell me were i took this picture , i forgot and would like to find it again.

Attachments

• SANY0008.jpg
    SANY0008.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 278
  • five oaks.jpg
    five oaks.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 279
It looks familiar but I don't know. What FM road were you after Steve? Maybe we can narrow it down.

I really dont remember what fm i was on but i can tell you this i was just east or south of fm4 @ lipan

The 11th Commandment: Thou shalt go out amongst all the nations of the world, and hooketh me up with free aluminum

581296253_f24DY-L.jpg

Water into wine is pretty good. But old beer cans into an engine casing, well, that sounds like a miracle to me.

Water into wine is pretty good. But old beer cans into an engine casing, well, that sounds like a miracle to me.

Verily, but now the apostrophe in "Can's" is vexing me. Just what is his angle in this caper?

Verily, but now the apostrophe in "Can's" is vexing me. Just what is his angle in this caper?

Where was this picture taken?
Was it on an indian reservation?

That looks like my old pickup bed converted into a trailer...
I assume the explanation for the apostrpohe is a 7th grade education though.

My favorite road side sign on the side of a vehicle was:
"Crawfish is back!"

I like to hope Crawfish is someone's nick name, but doubt it.

You know, "Can is for Christ". Can is one of those healing preacher types. He smacks you on the head with an aluminum can, and sweet Mary, you're healed!

Me, mcwilljg, and kessler.ryan went to Bowie and Upshur Counties today to get some roads in the mid-to-high 500 range. Came across some interesting items:

First up for your consideration is this terrifying barn that eats livestock. You don't want to see the other side.

615300290_NHRbp-L.jpg

Secondly, a little west of Texarkana, visible from I-30 is this F-111 (I think, or maybe an EF-111, is there a structural difference?) at an army navy store. Come to Uncle Bubba's for all your camo and fighter-bomber needs!

615284673_sMQGX-L.jpg

Lastly, along FM 1398 near Barkman we found this. There were three houses off a common driveway, and they used these pseudosigns to indicate their house numbers. If one of these said 440, I would've posted it up in the game thread.

615286290_qPygd-L.jpg

Secondly, a little west of Texarkana, visible from I-30 is this F-111 (I think, or maybe an EF-111, is there a structural difference?) at an army navy store. Come to Uncle Bubba's for all your camo and fighter-bomber needs!

615284673_sMQGX-L.jpg

EF-111
EF-111A-dvic239a.jpg

Notice the difference in the vertical stabilizers.

Some more from my tour of Navarro County today:

Greetings from the sunny Forbidden Zone! Wish you were here!

654460401_tixK3-L.jpg

:hail: Question: Is this what happens when Mods (as in Mods and Rockers) get old?

654469674_MBaNF-L.jpg

Bonus: was able to save my first turtle today; he was trying to cross FM 635. It's an idea I picked up from Kit. Besides being to right thing to do, I'm hoping that helping these little guys down the road safely will earn me some similar karmic benefits.

654461440_BsJ96-L.jpg

Last edited:
I saw one of those. Mine didn't have a landing gear, but it did have a sidecar.
......and a Hoveround.

DSC_0006.jpg

I've rarely seen the ghost wheels (like on that Wing), but Saturday must have been turtle day in Texas? My 400 mile day included a State Park and two RTE gatherings, and almost the chance to ride on Texas Motor Speedway (next year perhaps?)....but hwy 59 had me turtle stopping several times, for rescues. Only one I didn't go back to help with, was almost across already. I was a few minutes behind my meeting time, but I sure felt good for helping the critters.:clap::rider::eat:

I think that the Fire Ants have really taken a toll on the turtles. I used to see so many more of them, but now... not so much.

Like both of you, I too stop and rescue them when I see them.

Bonus: was able to save my first turtle today; he was trying to cross FM 635. It's an idea I picked up from Kit. Besides being to right thing to do, I'm hoping that helping these little guys down the road safely will earn me some similar karmic benefits.

654461440_BsJ96-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think that the Fire Ants have really taken a toll on the turtles. I used to see so many more of them, but now... not so much.

Like both of you, I too stop and rescue them when I see them.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This guy has been dealt a crap hand. I figure any help he can get is good. He's part of our great state and a natural resource.

Back