• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1 bag, 2 bags, 3 bags galore...

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Added a 35L top box to round out the luggage. Test rode with just the top box, then with just the two panniers and then with all three. Granted, I wasn't carrying anything other than my work lunch kit, but I couldn't really tell they were installed. More of an experiment to see how much the bike is pushed around on the highway by wind and passing vehicles. Nothing noteworthy at this time.

Attachments

• Tiger 3 boxes.JPG
    Tiger 3 boxes.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 211
I ride with a top box only 99% of the time. Panniers only go on for longer rides and when I need extra capacity that particular day. Less weight but still have lockable storage, and keeps the bike width narrow for riding in traffic.

Ditto. The side bags do cause more drag and I can feel it when running down back roads or sustained highway speeds. They also get in the way of my kid's legs when they ride with me, so I only use them if we are over nighting somewhere.

Well Fiddlesticks!
I'm vertically challenged so any bag taller than 5 inches causes me to do an olympic move to get my leg over the bike.

there is nothing more convenient than a top box, I loved mine...until I got into crosswinds. I have the Trekker top box so it is flat and square on the sides, this created a sail effect in crosswinds, I finally had to remove. Yours doesn't look square so you may be ok in crosswinds.

there is nothing more convenient than a top box, I loved mine...until I got into crosswinds. I have the Trekker top box so it is flat and square on the sides, this created a sail effect in crosswinds, I finally had to remove. Yours doesn't look square so you may be ok in crosswinds.
Last March, I rode my VFR1200F back from Denver, CO and between Colorado Springs and Trinidad, the crosswind was blowing so hard on I-25, the freeway was littered with blown-over trailers and semi's. For a good part of 130 miles, I hung 1/2 a cheek to the downwind side and at times had to lean the bike hard into the wind while going in a straight line. It was 1 part terror and 3 parts cornering fun, at the same time.

Times like that made me appreciate having some mass on a touring bike.

I can't tell much between with and without the top box, but with and without side cases is noticeable just wheeling it in and out the garage.

Surprising since you would think with the top box sitting higher it winks affect the center of gravity more.

I can't tell much between with and without the top box, but with and without side cases is noticeable just wheeling it in and out the garage.

Surprising since you would think with the top box sitting higher it winks affect the center of gravity more.

I think the outriggers hang off the bike further and thereby affect balance more, whereas the top case is in line with the CoG.

Not much impact to ya'll, but I run the FJR without side cases 90% of the time when I'm commuting, as it makes lane splitting that much easier. They're not much wider, but they catch in the back if you get too close. Easier just to not risk them.

+1. Top case loads on the bike along it's centerline, even in a hard lean. A gallon of milk in one of the panniers presents an off balance load. 1G straight down when bike is going in a straight line, even more when cornering, where the centrifugal acceleration vector combines with the 1G gravity vector... pulling the bike off kilter.

I plan to ride with just the top box when commuting here and there. I have the Trophy for longer trips and all three boxes for it also. Just love the Tiger for around town. It "feels" good.

Back