• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

100 Mile Burger

kjolly

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jolly
It was just too dang nice Saturday - so me and David and Mark headed east to Washington, TX to eat at the B&J Gas and Grocery. The plan was to run out 290 East and then cut south at Paige to run on some Farm to Market Roads then (hopefully) cut up through Round Top and follow the old La Bahia Road all the way to Washington.

02OCT10_MAP_1.jpg

It was a nice day - low 60’s in the morning when we set out - not a cloud in the sky.

02OCT10_2.jpg

A Russian and Two Italians - I know there is a joke in there somewhere . . .

02OCT10_1.jpg

We made it to Highway 237 to run into Round Top, and the traffic was backed up as far as we could see. Antiquers? Pie eaters lines up at Royers? OU fans hopelessly lost? We hooked a U and tried to work around the jam. I found out my tank had 170km of unleaded - and luckily the reserve had another 23km which got us into Carmine.

David decided that his Italian scooter would handle better with some good Russian air in the tires.

02OCT10_3.jpg

In Independence, TX there’s the remains of the original Baylor University chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845 As Baylor Female College. Here’s the columns from the original building. (check out info on it here: http://www.independencetx.com/BaylorPark.htm)

02OCT10_4.jpg

And Mark and his Italian scooter

02OCT10_5.jpg

There are a few other ruins there on the site -

02OCT10_6.jpg

And you can still see the chisel marks on the stones that were dressed for the corners.

02OCT10_7.jpg

A bit farther down the road - almost to Washington (where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed) - is the B&J 105 Gas and Grocery (or Grocery and Gas, anyhow it's the only thing there - so it's easy to find) --

02OCT10_10.jpg

This here is a burger - and the highest form of potato - the Tot. The burger was fresh cow, hand formed, had to be over half a pound, fresh cut veggies, four friggin pickles, big thick slices of onion - it looked great - and ate better than it looked.

02OCT10_8.jpg

Mark (left) and David wonder how they had survived so long without a 105 Gas and Grocery burger

02OCT10_9.jpg

After inhaling the burger we did a little loop over past Washington, and back to Independence.

02OCT10_11.jpg

And back down FM390 (La Bahaia Road). In Old Gay Hill a neat old 1 lane brick arch underpass under the railroad. 4 courses of brick - dang serious arch work there.

02OCT10_12.jpg

We split up back in Burton and the Ducati boys flew their scooters home at warp speed.

02OCT10_13.jpg

I stopped at the Burton Farmers Gin. Nice cotton scale --

02OCT10_14.jpg

This isn't any rice-burner 2-stroke - but a 2-stroke it is - 125 HP two-stroke semi-diesel engine - drives the main shaft for the gin. I would like to see this cranked up.

02OCT10_16.jpg

Here’s the clutch/tranny - with a no doubt about it shift lever - this would look good in a Ural.

02OCT10_15.jpg

The engine powers the shaft on the right - belts bring the power to the different parts of the gin. You can only see about a third of the belts here.

02OCT10_17.jpg

And here’s a little 4 cylinder flathead engine --

02OCT10_19.jpg

That’s the starter for this 6 cylinder beast

02OCT10_20.jpg

A nice 280 mile out and back. If you're within a hundred mile of Washington, Texas, and consider yourself any kind of carnivore - get on your scooter and go eat one of these burgers. (B&Js 105 Gas and Groceries, 17255 Highway 105, Washington, TX)

02OCT10_8.jpg

Kevo

Outstanding!! Good food, good roads and cool things to see along the way!! Thanks for sharing. Love the pics!

I've drove past there many times and never noticed it. It's on my list now. Thanks for the write-up! :clap:

Pretty good burger for a hole in the wall place . I saw you guys somewhere in my days trip to Winchester , I remember the hack . We stopped at the burger barn on 21 in Arkansas a couple weeks ago , I keep hearing about it being the best burger in Arkansas , maybe it is but Texas burgers have them beat . It was good but not as good as Washington burgers . SEYA

Thanks Kevo for pointing out the Gas and Grocery. Been by there a couple of time but never stopped. And the area around Independence, Washington and FM390 are some of the best landscapes in Texas.

I must have driven by this place a bunch of times...now I will be stopping! Thanks!:rider::eat:

Excellent post!
The best part, it's around here...
Thanks for sharing.

Nice trip report. That Bahia Road between Burton and Lake Sommerville is pretty nice country. I often overlook the "east side" of Austin and just head to the Hill Country to ride. Thanks for the reminder. Might head down to Cuero / Gonzalez / Goliad next time.

Great pics...looks like you guys had a great time....another reason two-wheeling is just too much fun. :)

That is a good question. I didn't look at the date until after reading the report.

It changed hands a few years back , I haven’t been there in years . But Lukmyeres in independence is better than they used to be anyway . The other side of 50 opposite the Baylor site on 390 . Sodolacks at Snook is good too .

Nice report! Looks a ride there for a burger and back maybe in my future?

Back