• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

100% Tunisian Olive Oil

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
TexTom and I went playing in the studio today and came up with this....
C&C Welcome!

Edit:
The reason behind the shoot was twofold. First, to get a shot of the newly printed grocery bags the client has produced, and second, to use the shot to build brand awareness behind "100% Tunisian Olive Oil" as their marketing campaign tagline.

1157496783_awgu5-XL.jpg

Last edited:
The stuff looks good--nice colors and comp

I really don't mean this to sound overly negative. my $.005
The focus on the type on the bag looks a little soft, as do the peppers.
Can't read the url very well.
I'd like to see the bright spot of sun on the type.
I don't see any olive oil looking bottles--maybe 3 interesting looking bottle where the green bell pepper is?
The background looks fake and is distracting.

No worries as they are all good points and I appreciate your comments.

Originally, the Mrs. just wanted a 'picture' and she said a cellphone shot would be just fine. Well, I just couldn't let it go at that so this is what we came up with.

I too thought the image a bit soft. Then I put my bi-focals on and the sharpness is there. I was surprised actually when I did that. I also didn't want any brand specific bottles in the shot as that would tend to favor one manufacturer over another. A bit more light on the logo could be nice as you mentioned. The background? That was my idea for the shot working with what we had available.

I wonder what a tighter crop of the bag logo/veggies would look like. Wondering if I'd lose the context of the bag at that point. :ponder:

Gary-

The original is HERE which seems much clearer....

Does this work any better for a couple of the items?
1157668921_MdBTZ-L.jpg

Last edited:
I swear I am not trying to mimic Tracker....

I have to keep going back and deleting what I wrote because Tracker beat me to it.

Well if number 2 is a crop of #1, then I say the sharpness is indeed there. But I too find #1 to be a nit picky bit on the soft side.

Educate me:
Why is there not olive oil in the shot? I see a bag of groceries. I have never heard of 100% Tunisian Olive Oil, why does it have its own bag?

{I am going to follow the URL right after this.....}

I think your original crop is good. The original does look crisper. Maybe just slightly tighter crop on the first.

Other than the font, the subject doesn't say "olive oil" to me.
I understand the bottles. I would remove the labels. 3 cascading sizes. something like these.
Olive_Oil_Bottle.jpg

Educate me:
Why is there not olive oil in the shot? I see a bag of groceries. I have never heard of 100% Tunisian Olive Oil, why does it have its own bag?

Sure!

There is a group of olive producers in Tunisia who produce olive oil. These producers have a consortium assembled and are interested in marketing their products around the globe. The term "100% Tunisian Olive Oil" is their chosen tagline. As an aside, if you read a lot of olive oil bottles, most are a mix/blend of various countries. However, their focus is "100% Tunisian...".

There has also been about a years worth of work done ahead of this marketing program trying to determine the market and educate the general public about the benefits of pure Tunisian oil over blends from other countries mixed together. The bags are the next step in their marketing program as giveaways for promotional events. They also run contests for recipes on Facebook and I believe these will be given away.

Thus, the concept is pushing "100% Tunisian....." instead of a particular brand. If we had put any bottle or a series of various bottles, we would have been inferring a preference of one product over another. This sort of drove the exclusion of any brands.

And this was a gratis job. Remember, as noted above - a cellphone shot was all that was expected initially to show the new bags. ;-)

I think your original crop is good. The original does look crisper. Maybe just slightly tighter crop on the first.

Other than the font, the subject doesn't say "olive oil" to me.
I understand the bottles. I would remove the labels. 3 cascading sizes. something like these.
Olive_Oil_Bottle.jpg

Excellent idea :doh: That could/would have portrayed the "product" without the "brand". Maybe next time around if there's another opportunity for something like this. Heck, maybe they'll like that idea when I tell them and I will get a re-shoot.

I wasn't exactly clear. I would have composed the pic like you had with 3 bottles in the spot where the green bell pepper is. Clean, clear bottles with clean, clear 100% Tunisian Olive Oil. :mrgreen:

I wasn't exactly clear. I would have composed the pic like you had with 3 bottles in the spot where the green bell pepper is. Clean, clear bottles with clean, clear 100% Tunisian Olive Oil. :mrgreen:

Yup, we're on the same page... where the green pepper is stage the three bottles in the shot. ;-)

Yup, we're on the same page... where the green pepper is stage the three bottles in the shot. ;-)

From a staging viewpoint the picture just seems a bit too symetric for my taste. Also I would consider either one or three veggies/fruit/bottles instead of two.

How would you show the bottles with a clear liquid when sitting in the scene?
The pic here has a multi-toned background.
TexTom

I suppose there's no chance to dump the shopping tote and get a hot Tunisian model to rub olive oil on her skin like suntan lotion :sun:

That would beat celery in a bag any day :deal:

Now that would be a GREAT improvement.:trust:
TexTom

How would you show the bottles with a clear liquid when sitting in the scene?
The pic here has a multi-toned background.
TexTom

I suppose I'd try to remove labels and keep the olive oil in them, or use some apple juice in empty bottles. There's no way I can think of to illuminate them from behind unless they are past the right edge of the bag a bit to backlight. I sketched the following (purple) to add two focused lights, (maybe just one would work) low and on the floor between the bottles and the backdrop pointing at the bottles.

1163830128_N8x7A-XL.jpg

Last edited:
OK, MY .02. My wife uses olive oil LOTS. So...........why not a picture of a CHEF pourirng some in a sauce-pan from a non-branded bottle labeled 100% etc? I know, this is why i fix stuff, not photo/sell it:lol2:

The more I think about it, the more my idea might work....

Here's a shot I did close-in on a bottle of beer with the strobe on the backside, ie: the beer was between the strobe and camera. Hmmm... this just might work. This just proves that light does travel well through a liquid medium in a glass bottle.

836768359_Yie8J-M-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK, MY .02. My wife uses olive oil LOTS. So...........why not a picture of a CHEF pourirng some in a sauce-pan from a non-branded bottle labeled 100% etc? I know, this is why i fix stuff, not photo/sell it:lol2:

.....'cause the focus/intent of the shot was the bags they are giving away as promotional items, in addition to promoting "100% Tunisian".

I will refrain from comment on your sketch of the olive oil bottles. :rofl:

I think you are on the right track for lighting them. The shot of the Sol label is pretty cool.

Here's a quick edit, although the bottles and the background still look a little fake. Hope you don't mind....

oilbagnew.png

Nope.... don't mind at all.

I believe that's the concept Gary put forth... I'll see what the Mrs. says and go from there. Thx. ;-)

Back