• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

12 days, 3125mi, thru NM, AZ, and CO

Reaction score
I just got back from almost two weeks on the road, had one of the best trips of my life, and thought I'd share some photos. I'm not as poetic at story telling as some of y'all, so bear with me.

I left San Marcos at 530am, having already prepped myself mentally that the first day (getting out of Texas) was going to suck. And it did.
Around Fort Stockton I got my first flat. It was 100* out, pavement was hot as a skillet, and my tires were as soft as butter. I pulled off I10 to the frontage when my rear started to dance back and forth, and discovered my rear flat. I had nothing to prop the bike up, so walked the frontage a bit looking for something suitable til I found a 2x4 about 12" long. I jammed it under the skid plate and I pulled a small piece of metal out, patched it, and rode on.
If any of you reading this now are one of the guys that rode passed me and didn't stop: NOT COOL!!!!
About two hours later I got my second flat. That time I managed to make it to a rest area, and was under shade cover at least.
I pushed on, and stopped just south of Hatch NM at 930pm. I rode to a campground, but the gates were locked. Still on the bike, I looked to my right and there was a guy standing in the dark next to a bike, locked out as well. He was a Scottsman, traveling the world on a 94 SupTen that had already circumnavigated the globe previously. The next morn, I dragged him into Hatch to dine on all things hatch chili. I was then hitting the NMBDR in TOC, and he was headed to SoCal, so we parted ways.

Attachments

• flat 1.1.jpg
    flat 1.1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 485
  • flat 1.2.jpg
    flat 1.2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 456
  • flat 2.1.jpg
    flat 2.1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 464
  • morris 3.jpg
    morris 3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 466
  • morris 2.jpg
    morris 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 493
I forgot to mention the dude I met in Van Horn, riding this moto bicycle to N Carolina. I felt like a pansy when compared to his adventure. Note his lack of gear! As a side note, it was odd being in Van Horn EXACTLY one year to the day after my huge (life changing) wreck on the NMBDR. Anyway...
I jumped on the NMBDR at TOC, and rode the section to Luna, right on the AZ border. No flats, but I did have a couple gnarly get-offs. I chose to ride my white DR650 because it had a Shinko 705 in the rear (great for all the pavement) and taller gearing (great for all the pavement). I knew the tires were going to make the trail sections a little more challenging, but everything is a trade off. On my first get-off, the bike slid down a trail on its right side after slipping on a rock. I ripped off the right side pannier that I got from Trail Boss, which is why in all the forthcoming pics it is not mounted. The fall also ripped my armored moto jeans to the point that it was almost inappropriate to wear them in public. Actually it was, but I had no choice at the time.

Attachments

• NMBDR 16.jpg
    NMBDR 16.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 439
  • Trail fail 2.1.jpg
    Trail fail 2.1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 436
  • NMBDR 18.jpg
    NMBDR 18.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 452
  • NMBDR 21.jpg
    NMBDR 21.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 436
  • Van Horn motor bicycle.jpg
    Van Horn motor bicycle.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 478
From Luna NM, I rode trails into AZ, slowly making my way to Flagstaff, where Overland Expo was being held. I had not planned any route for this whole trip, I just kinda let things happen as they may. the first couple pics are of McLaws Road, from Holbrook AZ to Winslow. After riding quite a while through desert, the road crossed an unexpected waterway, over a beautiful pony truss bridge. Once in Winslow, I stopped at WalMart and bought some CarHarts to replace my armored jeans. from there I rode into Flagstaff, and went to Overland Expo for the weekend.

Attachments

• OX 1.jpg
    OX 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 436
  • OX 12.jpg
    OX 12.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 422
  • OX 11.jpg
    OX 11.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 436
  • McLaws Rd AZ 4.jpg
    McLaws Rd AZ 4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 446
  • McLaws Rd AZ.jpg
    McLaws Rd AZ.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 439
Overland trailer made from a HUMVEE trailer.
Electric KTM. The guy had two on display.
MOTO village.
BMW Dakar.
Rider training classes.

Attachments

• OX 2.jpg
    OX 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 415
  • OX 3.jpg
    OX 3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 432
  • OX 4.jpg
    OX 4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 412
  • OX 5.jpg
    OX 5.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 422
  • OX 7.jpg
    OX 7.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 397
The Mercedes was my favorite vehicle at the Expo. The mileage is written on the windshield. The booklet on the hood was filled with pictures of the car all around the world.

Attachments

• OX 15.jpg
    OX 15.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 428
  • OX 14.jpg
    OX 14.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 430
  • OX 10.jpg
    OX 10.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 420
  • OX 9.jpg
    OX 9.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 429
  • OX 13.jpg
    OX 13.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 413
After the Expo, I rode down to Sedona, to bum around off road a little. Pics are from Snebley Rd, Sedona in the distance. From Sedona I had an uneventful ride up to Durango. I spent a couple days riding around Durango area, which, by the way, was in the 70s, while back home it was around 100*...

Attachments

• Junction Crk 6.jpg
    Junction Crk 6.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Lemon Res 2.jpg
    Lemon Res 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Junction Crk 7.jpg
    Junction Crk 7.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 424
  • Snebley Rd Sedona AZ 2.jpg
    Snebley Rd Sedona AZ 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 405
  • Snebley Rd Sedona AZ.jpg
    Snebley Rd Sedona AZ.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 436
While in Durango, my cheapo chain with only 3000mi was rusted and kinking badly. The Fun Center/dealership was of no help, but upon exiting there was a bad to the bone yellow Yama parked next to me. I knew by looking at it, that whomever owned the bike, knew bikes. So I waited for the owner to exit. When he did, he immediately offered for me to use his tools at his place just over the border in NM. So I followed him to his hideout. Once we were done messing with my chain, he offer to take me trail riding. And yes, that is a couch in a cave.

Attachments

• Bob 14.jpg
    Bob 14.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Bob 13.jpg
    Bob 13.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Bob 11.jpg
    Bob 11.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 439
  • Bob 5.jpg
    Bob 5.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Bob 4.jpg
    Bob 4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
I am forever grateful to Bob for his kindness!

He asked if I was decent off road, which I foolishly said "yes". I could not kick start his Bultaco, so he stuck me on his old WR250 race bike, and proceeded to drag me through insane single track. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it was VERY steep. I finally had to throw up the white flag, and tell him I was not skilled enough to follow him any more. We went back to his place and smoked and BSed into the night til I had to go to sleep. Bob was kind enough to ask if I needed a knife for the night. I replied "I hope not. What would I need a knife for?" He replied "Cougars". I kept the 2x4 I found in Texas next to me while I slept, so if I was awakened by a wild cat, I had something to throw for it to play fetch.

Attachments

• Bob 1.jpg
    Bob 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 432
  • Bob 6.jpg
    Bob 6.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 427
  • Bob 7.jpg
    Bob 7.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 430
  • Bob 8.jpg
    Bob 8.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 428
  • Bob 9.jpg
    Bob 9.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Upon waking in the morning, and realizing I had not been eaten, rode back up to Durango for a little more exploring, and practicing changing flat tires. The next day I started my way back to Texas, once again hitting the NMBDR on my way south.

Attachments

• Junction Crk 4.jpg
    Junction Crk 4.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 422
  • NMBDR 3.jpg
    NMBDR 3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Bobs place camp 1.jpg
    Bobs place camp 1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 399
  • Junction Crk 10.jpg
    Junction Crk 10.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 422
  • Aminas Val 1.jpg
    Aminas Val 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 406
Random pics of camp, logging operation, ADV AirBnB, mining equipment, and another camp.

Attachments

• NMBDR 11 mt side camp.jpg
    NMBDR 11 mt side camp.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 404
  • NMBDR 5.jpg
    NMBDR 5.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 416
  • NMBDR 8.jpg
    NMBDR 8.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 401
  • NMBDR 1.jpg
    NMBDR 1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 369
  • camp 2.jpg
    camp 2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 370
More pics from the NMBDR headed south. And of course flat number 5 for the trip. FYI- the 2x4 I found on I10 in Texas made the entire trip with me, and was used every time I got a flat.

This was one of the best trips I have been on. The weather was perfect. Aside from the flats, I didn't break down. I did 3125 miles, spent $180 on fuel, and $200 on food. I did buy a new rear tire and tube in Durango, and was a bit annoyed that the salesman gave me a senior citizen discount after I asked for it (I'm 41). In all fairness, he did look me over and commented I didn't look like a Senior Citizen , to which I replied that I use copious amounts of face cream.

Hope y'all enjoyed living vicariously through my ride report. Get out there and ride your own ride!

Attachments

• NMBDR 2.jpg
    NMBDR 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 385
  • NMBDR 13.jpg
    NMBDR 13.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 365
  • NMBDR 15.jpg
    NMBDR 15.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 374
  • flat 5.2.jpg
    flat 5.2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Flat 5.jpg
    Flat 5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 385
Great report, mostly back home for me. One day I hope to ride that once the kids get older and the wife signs off on it. Anything you would have done differently on the tire situation. That's a lot of flats.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ahh yes, the "wife" situation. Im not even going to comment publicly on that issue....

Tires? I met up with a couple friends at Overland Expo, and one asked me the same thing. At that time I only had two flats! I replied that going into this trip, I mentally prepared myself for this type of thing. Meaning: It's called ADV riding for a reason. I EXPECT to get flats. I EXPECT to fall down/crash. Therefore, when it actually happens, it's not a surprise, or such a bummer. It's just part of ADV riding. Each time I go out, whether on a 6 hour ride or a two week ride, I view it as a shakedown run for the next ride. My equipment gets refined each time, I pack a little better each time, and I change a tire a little quicker each time. I could change the rear to tubeless I suppose, but I think 5 flats in 3125 miles was a bit of a fluke. ORRRRR..... the ADV gods wanted me to practice a little more.

That's a good way to mentally prepare for sure. I need to get better at changing tires and tubes. I guess the side of I10 in the sun with a 2x4 is a good way to learn. [emoji23][emoji23]. Tubeless seems like a good way to go so you can plug and keep moving. Or you can run heavy off road tires with super thick sidewalls and then air in the tire is optional. [emoji6]. Great report and pictures.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That IS a lot of flats! :huh2:

I don't think I've ever had more than maybe two on my own bike in a single trip. However, I have been on some group rides that seemed to have a flat every time we rounded a corner! :brainsnap

That is totally cool that you hooked up with Bob and got to ride with him. I love that kind of stuff.

I was at overland too. Met the fellow in the sidecar with his pup. Nice guy, friends of Ara and Spirit, who he called his inspiration.

Tons of cool stuff to see and do at overland. I basically wandered, sorta buzzed on a friend's whiskey, enjoying the overload of everything overland.

If you go next year give me a shout. I'm in Phoenix.

And I was feeling all sorry for myself for getting three flats in one month. Five on one trip? That just seems like ridiculously bad luck. But you have fortitude and a good attitude about it.

Do you think anything could have prevented your flats? Were you using any product like Rideon or anything like that?

Reading this really makes me want to go ahead and work on sealing my bike's rims and running tubeless.

I've been on literally hundreds of single and group off road rides. Knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder. We have never fixed a flat beside the road or trail. Same goes for on road rides!!! Nice report.

Back