• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 Slip-on question

Reaction score
Since you are dealing with flow after the catalytic converter, does it really matter what kind you get performance wise? Would the be any difference between a Delkevic and an Akrapovic?

I plan on having a custom map and flash done.

I would imagine there are no real differences in gain. Tone, quality, and appearance would be the difference.

I'm finding mixed info on pipes. If I wanted to maximize low-end power then I should keep the exhaust stock and have it tuned correct?

So I take it the Bandit is not one of those bikes that gains low rpm power with different pipe?

Your answers are here courtesy of Dale Walker.
http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/650-1250/products/efi-supertune-pro/dynocharts
My experience, going from stock to Stage 1 to Stage 2 with only a slip on and stock headers is there are significant gains to be had. Typically low RPM power (torque) is more a product of engine design. You are not flowing as much air hence opening the intake and exhaust (and providing the fuel to match) doesn't show as much gain down low.
Honestly the 1250 has SO much torque right off idle it's just as well!
I would go Stage 2 with Dale's Super Tune Pro and a slip on. It is all the Chassis can handle, even with suspension upgrades. Wish I had just went Stage 2 from the start.
IMHO.....

Your answers are here courtesy of Dale Walker.
http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/650-1250/products/efi-supertune-pro/dynocharts
My experience, going from stock to Stage 1 to Stage 2 with only a slip on and stock headers is there are significant gains to be had. Typically low RPM power (torque) is more a product of engine design. You are not flowing as much air hence opening the intake and exhaust (and providing the fuel to match) doesn't show as much gain down low.
Honestly the 1250 has SO much torque right off idle it's just as well!
I would go Stage 2 with Dale's Super Tune Pro and a slip on. It is all the Chassis can handle, even with suspension upgrades. Wish I had just went Stage 2 from the start.
IMHO.....

So you're saying Dale's stage 2 is better than a custom map and flash?

I couldn’t say. I don’t know if anyone flashing the ECU in a 1250.
Try it and have some dyno runs to compare.

It's not a flash per say, but they can make a map via the ECU with flashtune software. He can also make the secondaries open at high revs without taking them out.

I had a stage 2 on my old Bandit, it made more top end but a lot of that from removing the secondaries, which you can do for free. You lose low end power with stage 2 though, and given that the Bandit's torque peaks at 3750, I don't understand the logic for compromising the motor's best attribute. They make an FZ1 if you like to spin your motor.

It's not a flash per say, but they can make a map via the ECU with flashtune software. He can also make the secondaries open at high revs without taking them out.

I had a stage 2 on my old Bandit, it made more top end but a lot of that from removing the secondaries, which you can do for free. You lose low end power with stage 2 though, and given that the Bandit's torque peaks at 3750, I don't understand the logic for compromising the motor's best attribute. They make an FZ1 if you like to spin your motor.

Looking at the stage 2 slip on Dyno link I posted there are only gains in torque and HP. Indeed if anything I noticed a significant power gain across the range. When I remove the Db reducer the front end lofts under power right off the bottom. I can’t take the added noise. ;)

Last edited:
I have been studying the dyno links posted in Dale Walker's site and i see significant improvements over stock in both HP and Max torque..and all of it is @ 8000 rpms max...that is awesome and amazing..
In short a stock 1250S Bandit will make 97.26 hp and 77.75 ftlbs of torque at approx 7000rpms
Dale's Stage 2 performance kit with his full 4-2-1 exhaust and slip-on is...129.61 hp and 94.55 ftlbs torque @8000 rps..
Stout #s..In between you have various combinations of stage 1 and 2 kits with just the slip-on ..
Dale walker has done it all with the Bandit line...
BTW my bike has the Delkevic slip on and otherwise stock setup and I have 104 hp...not certain on the torque #s but i am more than happy with it..no need to go crazy here..YMMV however y'all enjoy the heck out of ridin it..I do..its a hoot...

Last edited:
No one has spent more effort, time...and money, than Dale Walker tuning GS/Bandits Motorcycles.
I have been using his products and advice since the late 90’s when I bought a 1997 Bandit 1200S. I’ve had nothing but great results. Short story, while running the 1200 at a track day at Brainerd Intl. Raceway (the long, fast track) some sport bike guys came over after a session and jokingly accused me of having a “cheater” motor in the Bandit. It was stock internally.:mrgreen:

I'm getting the feeling my tuner is not willing to do the work it takes to tune my bike with the stock exhaust, getting an accurate air/fuel takes a bit of work and I he doesn't think it's worth the time. I don't like noise, the quieter the better so I'm keeping the stock exhaust. Also, as mentioned Stage 2 did not improve the bike the way I ride it.

One of the problems I'm having is with constant throttle and a slight fuel cut-out, is that inherit to the 2016 Euro 4 models or have other has that problem too?

I'm wondering if just Dale's tuner would solve my constant throttle issue and I could leave the rest alone.

Years back, I drop a piece of heavy pipe I was working on and put a good dent in my stock muffler. I picked up a Yosh muffler on Ebay pretty cheap and installed it. Lost some bottom end and I wanted it back. So, built a 1 inch washer and jammed it in there. Got my low back along with a better sound than the whisper quiet stock and got a thumbs up from my old neighbors as not very loud. That set up has been on my '07 ( purchased in 08 ) for about 8 years and 70K miles.
Now , main goal is crossing the 100 K miles on the ometer. If a crash avoiding a deer 5 yrs back would of come out better ( could of been worst easy ) I would of keep putting 12 to 14K miles a year on her. Sadly, down to about 3.3 K a year now. But, 10K left to go so need to step it up this year.

And my Corvette and KLR keep getting in the way also LOL

Last edited:
Older thread but I will second what TD said about Holeshot stuff. My 08 has Dale's PC tune with the airbox mods and secondaries removed - all per Dale's instructions. I added a Holeshot header while doing the other mods, so I can't say which one makes the biggest improvement, but the net effect is awesome. In addition to wheelie-style power down low it turns on like a rocket at about 6500 rpm. With the header and a light Leo Vince can, it has a raspy growl off idle but is never too loud. Inaudible at cruising speed.

Older thread but I will second what TD said about Holeshot stuff. My 08 has Dale's PC tune with the airbox mods and secondaries removed - all per Dale's instructions. I added a Holeshot header while doing the other mods, so I can't say which one makes the biggest improvement, but the net effect is awesome. In addition to wheelie-style power down low it turns on like a rocket at about 6500 rpm. With the header and a light Leo Vince can, it has a raspy growl off idle but is never too loud. Inaudible at cruising speed.

Thanks for the reply, I went with a Holeshot stage 1 and Delkevic carbon pipe. I've retained all my low end compliance, I don't have any of the low-rpm reluctance from the engine I had with stage 2. Plenty of power I'm happy.

Also to clarify, the issue I was having is probably due to living at high altitude. it runs awful up and there's nothing you can do about is that doesn't involve forced induction.

Having done Holeshot stage 2 and riding a couple of months then adding a header downpipe, I believe there is a difference. Bottom and mid range feel the same but it pulls harder at 6k and up. But the added bonus is the ~ 10 LB weight loss losing the stock downpipe. You do need to retune for more fuel at the upper end.

Last edited:
Back