• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 Suspension Mods for Touring?

The brace will help a good bit! It holds the line and corners with more confidence over no brace! Better brakes!? Get EBC pads still cheaper then a new bike! :D

No worries on selling the Cycle, it's a keeper. I do have fully bedded in EBC pads and they did help. To be fair the C-14 has monster radial brakes and my Bandit is ABS which I'm sure doesn't help with all the added brake line. Mmmm but so did the C-14. Still want the ABS though.
I have sold the C-14 so I will have some "upgrade" cash.
A fork brace for sure, maybe fork valving. I have done the springs and oil, again big improvement but no comparison to the upside down Kawi logs.
I've got a works performance $100 gift certificate but the shock they recommend is $1100.:brainsnap
Is the Cogent Shock all that?
Features Include: Wide range of rebound with 25 click adjustment settings, and speed sensitive compression damping, near infinite spring pre load range, fully made in the USA from billet materials, on high accuracy CNC machining equipment, anodized components, precision ground and hard chrome piston shaft for very low internal friction, quad ring type seal head with DU bushing, hard coated long life body design, hardened spanner tool to adjust the spring pre load.

If I recall some said 90% of the improvement was with the fork springs/shock 10% for the P I T A to install valves! Always the holeshot for tons less! I went super cheap bought a used Busa shock as I couldn't blow the $$$ this year maybe next for a REAL shock! :)

If I recall some said 90% of the improvement was with the fork springs/shock 10% for the P I T A to install valves! Always the holeshot for tons less! I went super cheap bought a used Busa shock as I couldn't blow the $$$ this year maybe next for a REAL shock! :)

I take it you have not installed the gold valves? I did a Gixxer shock on my'97 1200S years ago and it was a improvement. The Busa shock won't work on mine with the ABS module in the way.
There are a few choices in the $600-$700 range. Cogent, Ohlins, Penske. I may do the fork valving this winter along with some other "classic" projects. From everything I've read the fork brace is a must.

Yes.

The Cogent shock is indeed "All that". And a bag of chips, too.

Just call Dale at Holeshot and buy one already.

Folks, you guys are sweating all the same stuff that Dale Walker has already sweated for us.

He has gone through all of the variations and testing for us.

He has the answers.

Just bite the bullet, pay the man, and install his parts and start riding and stop worrying.

I'm nobody from nowhere Louisiana. I'm just a 46 year old guy out here who wants to do nothing else in life but ride my motorcycle all day every day until I die.

I own a Ducati Monster with forks that have been rebuilt and an Ohlins shock.

I own a Honda RC51 world championship winning superbike with Ohlins Superbike forks and an Ohlins shock and freaking BST carbon fiber wheels.

I used to own a Suzuki V-Strom 650 with an Elka triple adjustable, remote reservoir shock and "emulators" and Sonic springs in the forks.

I traded the V-Strom in for the GSX1250FA after reading the Sport Rider review of Dale Walker's Stage II upgrade.

I bought the bike, rode her twice, and installed the Stage II, with the Race Tech Forks and Cogent shock and everything else in his catalog.

The bike is PERFECT.

Seriously, no joke.....PERFECT.

I have no desire to ride my Monster or RC51 any more. I just want to ride this GSX1250FA to Montana and back until I die. The bike is amazing.

Another thing, I had a Russell Day Long seat on the V-Strom and now have Dale's Holeshot Corbin on my GSX1250FA and it is JUST AS COMFORTABLE. I rode nine hours yesterday and NEVER thought about my butt once.

You can try to save money and experiment with cheaper solutions, but you will end up spending more money and wasting more time installing and removing and installing and removing all the "tries" until you finally just spend the money and do it right.

Save all that time, money, and aggregation and just call Dale and order his parts and make payments to Visa and start enjoying life.

All the best,
John, the old fart who just wants to ride:rider:

Well, forums are all about helping our fellow riders. I want you folks to enjoy your bikes as much as I do. When I find products that really work as advertised, I want everyone to share in the joy.

Seriously, Holeshot's parts just plain work as advertised.

I am not kidding when I say that I bought the GSX1250FA specifically because I was going to install the Holeshot catalog.

After researching exactly what I wanted from my long distance motorcycle, and test riding and researching every sport-touring bike on the market, I came to the conclusion that a liquid cooled Bandit with the Holeshot mods was THE bike for my needs.

I looked at BMW K1300GT & S, K1600GT, C14, FJR1300, VFR1200, Ninja 1000, ZX-14, Hayabusa, NT700, V-Stom 1000, S10, ST1300, F6B, Norge, and a ton of used bikes.

The GSX1250FA was the right size, had ABS, but not TC or electronic throttle, chain drive for light handling, and lots of torque. The Holeshot mods appeared to really wake up the bike.

I found a 2011 GSX1250FA with full factory three piece luggage for $8,000 with only 2,000 miles on her at a dealership 40 minutes from my home. They gave me $3,000 for my 2004 DL650 V-Strom with 25,000 miles on her.

I couldn't pass it up.

Even adding the ENTIRE Holeshot catalog, I'm in for less money than any of the bikes listed above. So I have a perfectly tuned, high performance sport-touring bike with full luggage and a suspension custom sprung and valved for my weight, with more torque and power below 6,000 RPM than a ZX-14 for less money. With ABS. And, this is important to me, WITHOUT electronic throttle, TC, drive modes, electronic suspension control, or any other high tech, expensive to fix electronic nannies that may be a pain 50,000 miles and 10 years down the road.

So, yes, I am passionate about my beliefs when it comes to Bandit mods.

Like I said, I'm old. I spent enough time, money, and heart ache modifying my old 1997 Ducati Monster to learn what works and what does not work when it comes to modifying motorcycles. So has Dale Walker. And he did it on my bike before I even knew I wanted to own one.

I now own the perfect sport-touring bike for me.

You have no idea how much joy this bike brings into my life. I want everybody to be this happy.

That's what bike forums are for. To spread the joy.

All the best!

I've got the Stage 1, fork brace and Race Tech springs but I think you're inspiring me to go for the Stage 2 and Cogent shock this winter :rider:

I did the complete front end a couple years ago and it made a big difference. Like mellow gold I might look at getting my rear end fixed this winter also!

I just know Scott is not gonna believe this till it happens, BUT, I really do plan on redoing the suspension on my Bandit this winter. Really, I do plan on it. ;-) Crossed the 72K miles on the odometer this month. Pretty sure the stock stuff is getting a tad on the worn out side.

I just know Scott is not gonna believe this till it happens, BUT, I really do plan on redoing the suspension on my Bandit this winter. Really, I do plan on it. ;-) Crossed the 72K miles on the odometer this month. Pretty sure the stock stuff is getting a tad on the worn out side.

The first 1200S I owned reacted very well to suspension mods. The Bandit series has always been a great "value" hence Suzuki had to cut corners and the suspension is one area that MUST be improved. It's surprising how less fatiguing the C-14 was too ride long distance just on suspension alone. I may not get the gold valves in till this winter myself. ;-)
Good wrenching!

The first 1200S I owned reacted very well to suspension mods.
Good wrenching!

Yes, most all bike do react great to suspension mods. Seems like every time I set aside 1500 bucks to do it, I'd say the heck with it and use the money traveling about the US. Of course I set my 1250 up early on for standing on the pegs on rough roads and gravel/dirt roads. Never got out of the Adventure Rider mode. The 12 years and 126,000 miles I spend on BMW GS's with that telelever front really spoils a person and very comfy riding position.

Yeah, I guess you know. Honestly the C-14, much like the BMW telelever needs no modification. While the springs and oil did help allot on the 1250 it needs more.

Speaking of fork braces. I have a deal going with Richland Ricks for a new fork brace for myself and anyone who will take their bandit 1250 07 and up for a fitting so he can start selling to Bandit owners. His braces and other custom items are well known in the Vstrom community. If you live in the Richland area of Washington state and are interested, He will work out the details with you. Thanks. My first post. I hope I haven't messed up already. I've been in touch with the Richlands owner by text but am having a hard time figuring out how to contact an willing Bandit rider.

Hey and by the way I've found that 4 turns in the tighten direction on the rear shock does wonders for 2 up riding.

I stepped up from a line of Beemers to the Bandit. 1995 R1100r, 2002 K1200rs,
86 k100 standard, and my last and final an 07 R1200GS. The stock bandit handles better than all of the above, gets less turbulence from crosswind and tractor trailers, is steadier in ridged roadways and gets better gas mileage. The only thing I miss from all of them is the electronic cruise control on the 1200rs. So Far I've only had to install a taller windscreen plus an Xreen, a set of bar backs and an outlet for accessories. What an awesome bike! I have the 07 1250. On a side note: the Bandit after adjustments, also has better lighting than the above beemers even after adding extra lights to them.

Two little tibets I want to pass on about BMW's Telelever Front. I once hit a small deer in the rear at 65 mph on my '95 R11GS and didn't go down are bent anything. A side road , flashlight inspection by myself and a truck driver that was behind me just show some hair and blood on the left front fork. I rode that bike for another 20,000 miles before trading it for a 97 R11R with 20K miles on it. I once bent the front rim on that bike and don't remember the hit , that hard, to cause it. Walked to the shop the next day to go riding and the front was flat. I could not believe I had bent the rim that bad and didn't feel the hit. Very up on keeping tire pressure up on street bikes due to the roads I ride. I only kept that bike for a couple years and about 24,000 miles due to the fact I was hitting the bottom of the engine on rocks on the back roads of the Ozarks and was very lucking not to have punched a hole in the cases. So, Back to an '02 R1150 GS I put 50K + miles on before selling it in '06 ( just having the KLR and a DRZ400S to roam on after that ) and finally buying another road bike ( 07 DL1000 ) in Ohio in the Summer of 07. A year and 18K miles on that before the present '07 Bandit I got in '08 and now sitting with 73K plus miles on the speedo. Oh, Yes, still have the 14 year old KLR ;-)

10/10ths,
I own a 2012 ZX14r and a 2007 1250s, both have the same 3pc Givi luggage setup.
I've done many engine modifications to the Bandit and had it dyno'd here in Denver (5280 ft elevation). It maxed out at 125 HP @8500rpm and
84 ft. torque from 3000-5800rpm.
I owned the Ninja first and found a great deal on the Bandit last year. The Bandit is as smooth/vibration-free as the Ninja, but the Ninja is so balanced and so well engineered. The fuel injection is spot-on on the Ninja.
I don't believe the Bandit can out accelerate the Ninja to 6000rpm. The Ninja is restricted to 65% power in the first 3 gears till 4000rpm to keep the Bike from wheelie's and not kill the rider. It can be turned off with a reflash in the ECU as well as the 186mph limiter.
If I had found the Bandit first, I would have not bought or even rode the Ninja.
Both make great sport touring Bikes.
I enjoy, like you, modifying motorcycles. There is more to modify on the Bandit. Not as much on the Ninja just getting my old body comfortable.
I've got a 2003 FZ1, too. It has the best seating position and wind protection of my 3 Bikes, but I hate the first gear and vibration. It will run to 90 mph in first gear!
I like the low first gear in the Bandit & Ninja. I took off @12095 feet (in Rocky Mtn National Park) in 2nd gear on the Ninja (by mistake). The Bandit just pulls away, too.
My Cousin rode the Bandit last Fall through the Rocky Mtns. He weighs 350 lb. dressed. All 3 bags were packed, plus, a tank bag full of camera gear. The Bandit did great.
That is one area the Bandit exceeds the Ninja is load capacity; 385 lb. Ninja and 485 lb. Bandit. Both are great Bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_5968.JPG
    IMG_5968.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5967.JPG
    IMG_5967.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Also because of the low end torque on the Bandit even fully loaded you really can't tell until you gotta pick it off the kickstand! :rofl:

10/10ths,
I own a 2012 ZX14r and a 2007 1250s, both have the same 3pc Givi luggage setup.
I've done many engine modifications to the Bandit and had it dyno'd here in Denver (5280 ft elevation). It maxed out at 125 HP @8500rpm and
84 ft. torque from 3000-5800rpm.
I owned the Ninja first and found a great deal on the Bandit last year. The Bandit is as smooth/vibration-free as the Ninja, but the Ninja is so balanced and so well engineered. The fuel injection is spot-on on the Ninja.
I don't believe the Bandit can out accelerate the Ninja to 6000rpm. The Ninja is restricted to 65% power in the first 3 gears till 4000rpm to keep the Bike from wheelie's and not kill the rider. It can be turned off with a reflash in the ECU as well as the 186mph limiter.
If I had found the Bandit first, I would have not bought or even rode the Ninja.
Both make great sport touring Bikes.
I enjoy, like you, modifying motorcycles. There is more to modify on the Bandit. Not as much on the Ninja just getting my old body comfortable.
I've got a 2003 FZ1, too. It has the best seating position and wind protection of my 3 Bikes, but I hate the first gear and vibration. It will run to 90 mph in first gear!
I like the low first gear in the Bandit & Ninja. I took off @12095 feet (in Rocky Mtn National Park) in 2nd gear on the Ninja (by mistake). The Bandit just pulls away, too.
My Cousin rode the Bandit last Fall through the Rocky Mtns. He weighs 350 lb. dressed. All 3 bags were packed, plus, a tank bag full of camera gear. The Bandit did great.
That is one area the Bandit exceeds the Ninja is load capacity; 385 lb. Ninja and 475 lb. Bandit. Both are great Bikes.

**** 125hp at this altitude. That is pretty darn good. Are we talking Holeshot Stage 2. Do tell.

In September of '09 I did a round trip over Lake Superior with this load. Plus I was about 250 with gear. The bandit did not care if I was on top of Pike's Peak or running in Lower Louisiana. Just did it's job. And, I would guess, at no time on this trip , did I use more than half of it stock 100 hp.
But, probably 20 years younger, I would of just had to have 140 hp to do this trip. ;-(. Now the bike or conditions or terrain or load . Just me. LOL!

Since this thread is about suspension mods for touring, I figure this is as good a place to ask as any, rather than start yet another suspension thread...

Does anyone here have experience with Works Performance shocks? I just sent out an email enquiry to them regarding upgrading my Bandit suspension. We'll see what they get back to me with. I am interested because they are very local to me. Published price sheet seems like they might be more expensive than Holeshot though. They do however have a service called "Guts Replacement" in which they totally rebuild the existing stock shock with their internal components.

Just seeing if anyone knows something about them. Thanks.

http://www.worksperformance.com

Maybe I can pile on too.??? I am looking to get the best comfort, plushest ride out of my Bandit. I went back to the 1250 as my 2up machine. The shock has 25k on it so it needs replaced regardless. I bought a late model Busa shock of Ebay. Is this a good place to start? Our combined weight is about 350+gear. I am looking for the most comfortable ride I can get when we go on 100-200 mile trips through the hills. Thanks for any advice on my suspension upgrade path. I have always just stayed with the stock suspension.

Well , my Bandit is on the bench for the front end rebuild. Recieved the bushings from bike Bandit a few days ago and the springs and gold valves from Holeshot yesterday and the 5 wt oil is on the way from Bike Bandit also. Probably start working on the front end tomorrow as the rains are suppose to return. Today, really need to do yard work since it's not suppose to rain.
After the front is done, I'll make a decision on the rear. With 74,500 on the ometer ( need to add 7% to that for actual mileage ) I guess it's time for a full rebuild on the forks. They have been though a lot in my travels.
Now, if I could only rebuild ME. HaaaaaaaaaaaH !

Front end done and back on bike with C34 stack , 5 wt oil, 1.1 springs. Test ride proved satisfactory. That's it for the Bandit for awhile. Next is redoing the suspension on my 15 year old KLR which is really my About Home Area GO TO bike now days.

Back