• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

there is a great airbnb in liberal, they are both school teachers and the rate is $19 a night. that is if your daughter gets tired of hosting you :)

Dalhart to Clayton NM to Springer, Cimarron, Angel Fire (Vietnam Veterans Memorial), Taos, Chama, Pagosa Springs, Walsenburg, Trinidad, Raton, Clayton, Liberal.

Add or subtract to the route as needed.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 1.44.55 PM.png

If you are leaving next Thursday, the 30th go to KS first. Then you can hit the Albuquerque hot air balloon festival on Saturday or Sunday on your way back

Attachments

• 901B4D56-2B32-47BD-9630-E0034142E7B9.jpeg
    901B4D56-2B32-47BD-9630-E0034142E7B9.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 134
I guess the world is round. He will eventually get there.

One caution... check the elevation and weather forecast in northern NM and southern CO. Chama is close to 8,000' and Angel Fire is higher than that; both can get snow in the blink of an eye. Heated gear is a definite need this time of the year.

Reactions: JMZ
I was worried about that. If I might be too late.
If you have proper gear and are willing to gamble, you're okay. If not, then I would certainly recommend against the higher elevations. Angel Fire is looking at 28 degrees and precipitation next Thursday. Even if it's not snow you've got heavily shaded roads from Angel Fire until just outside Taos which means tons of hidden ice.

With that new Gold wing, just run up to Seattle to grab a cup of coffee. Then go across the mountains down to Liberal. The USA has just become your playground!

How does this route look for a quick taste of NM?
The route will be good to ride from a technical standpoint, but I urge you to review the route in Google Earth and get the elevations along the way. Pot Creek is 7,000+ and Canon Hondo is almost 8,500'. Do you really want to be in those elevations with the rain that's predicted for the coming week? Again, if you have the proper rain and heated gear you'll be okay, but the riding could be treacherous if the temps drop too low.

Where/How did I m
With that new Gold wing, just run up to Seattle to grab a cup of coffee. Then go across the mountains down to Liberal. The USA has just become your playground!
Where/how did I miss the thread that Jarrett got a Goldwing???

I'd go NM 1st, 2 reasons, temp wise sooner the better and 2nd, you'll be fresher to enjoy. When it's time to go home, generally I'm heading home.

Back