• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1300 mile lap around Texas

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. The trip was a blast, and I made it back safely this afternoon. First motorcycle trip in over 15 years. 1320 miles over 3 days. Lazy riding, scenic riding, and some hard miles.

A couple recommendations:
The TruCountry Inn in Brady is a trip. Definitely recommend staying there for a unique experience. Perfect for a bike trip and the perfect jumping off spot for my next recommendation. Sunrise at the Regency Bridge. Pack a breakfast and enjoy it. 500, 580, and 501 are all good motorcycle roads. Stonehenge in Ingram was nifty, but 39 down to Vanderpool is the gem. I don’t know that I would necessarily recommend riding from Uvalde through Pearsall and George West to Goliad, but if you do, get behind an oilfield truck and let them run blocker for you. The deer are everywhere and it is nerve racking to keep and eye out for them. Lot of good new blacktop though, so the ride is smooth.

I'd love to see a full map of your ride!

Yup, 39 really is a fun road, I went on it yesterday coming up from the three sisters. Glad you found it on your own, I forgot to mention it.
Coming from 83 towards Hunt, the first part of 39 is very fast and hilly (looks like you turned off before you got to that part), not many turns, and there is one spot I may have caught a little air.
The second half (the part you went on) is very curvy and a lot of fun.

If your back that way, 1340 from Hunt to to 41 is fun also (but has a little more traffic and road is not as fast), but is very scenic.

What time were you on the sisters Saturday? I was there between 8:30 and 10:45 am, did a clockwise loop.

Here is my trip report for that day:

Yup, 39 really is a fun road, I went on it yesterday coming up from the three sisters. Glad you found it on your own, I forgot to mention it.
Coming from 83 towards Hunt, the first part of 39 is very fast and hilly (looks like you turned off before you got to that part), not many turns, and there is one spot I may have caught a little air.
The second half (the part you went on) is very curvy and a lot of fun.

If your back that way, 1340 from Hunt to to 41 is fun also (but has a little more traffic and road is not as fast), but is very scenic.

What time were you on the sisters Saturday? I was there between 8:30 and 10:45 am, did a clockwise loop.

Here is my trip report for that day:

i didn’t get into Leakey until late. 1:30 if I remember right. I did the sisters and by the time I was I Barksdale, it was a no brainer to continue south. I originally had Rocksprings next so that I could do 674 down to Bracketville, but that will have to wait. I was glad to get into Pearsall before dark.

While on 336 heading north behind a trio of Harleys, a guy on an old 80’s BMW cafe racer street bike flew past all of us. Tshirt, shorts, and no helmet. I passed him a few mins later where he’d taken his bike down a culvert. I suppose he’s been there done that a few times.

I enjoyed 39 more than any of the riding out near Leakey. It was shady, lazy, and perfect. One comical thing on 336 was there was a Porsche club behind me, and as we crested a ridge, cattle were crossing the road. I was able to weave between the,pm, but the cars got stuck.

i didn’t get into Leakey until late. 1:30 if I remember right. I did the sisters and by the time I was I Barksdale, it was a no brainer to continue south. I originally had Rocksprings next so that I could do 674 down to Bracketville, but that will have to wait. I was glad to get into Pearsall before dark.

While on 336 heading north behind a trio of Harleys, a guy on an old 80’s BMW cafe racer street bike flew past all of us. Tshirt, shorts, and no helmet. I passed him a few mins later where he’d taken his bike down a culvert. I suppose he’s been there done that a few times.

I enjoyed 39 more than any of the riding out near Leakey. It was shady, lazy, and perfect. One comical thing on 336 was there was a Porsche club behind me, and as we crested a ridge, cattle were crossing the road. I was able to weave between the,pm, but the cars got stuck.
I saw 3 separate groups of Porsches coming from Ingram towards 83 when I was on 39 around noon, probably one of those groups.

I only saw a few cattle on the sisters, none on the roadway, but there were a lot of deer and a few hogs, but I was there a little early and very few bikes had been down the road that day so they were still out.
I think that is the only good thing about a loud bike is probably less chance of deer in the roadway.
When I was heading home today on 10 between Kerrville and Comfort there were about 5 deer crossing the freeway that I luckily saw well ahead of time and was able to slow down, but saw quite a few fresh roadkill in the area as well.

Y'all need to inherit NM and AZ some time soon, just to round it out. Check out 64 in NM and in AZ, 191 from Alpine to Morecci, then turn around and head back to alpine. Camp out half way there at 8K feet. Heck its all right next door to us and no drug lords. Then sometime set sights on to CO and WY, when you arrange for a bit more time. Cut a nice swath over a couple passes in CO, then buy some weed and get north. Perhaps join the Freewheelers in CO and do their annual 1k mile iron butt-burner ride, which is now for club members only due to fear of their nice lawyerly types. Its really an incredible ride. Finally get further away from TX and head to MT and BC!! Go see the Canadian national parks like Banff and Jasper. Camp out and not worry about the bug China gifted to the world so much. You will thank yourselves forever and finally feel like you have something irreplaceable for the motorcyclist bucket list!

Y'all need to inherit NM and AZ some time soon, just to round it out. Check out 64 in NM and in AZ, 191 from Alpine to Morecci, then turn around and head back to alpine. Camp out half way there at 8K feet. Heck its all right next door to us and no drug lords. Then sometime set sights on to CO and WY, when you arrange for a bit more time. Cut a nice swath over a couple passes in CO, then buy some weed and get north. Perhaps join the Freewheelers in CO and do their annual 1k mile iron butt-burner ride, which is now for club members only due to fear of their nice lawyerly types. Its really an incredible ride. Finally get further away from TX and head to MT and BC!! Go see the Canadian national parks like Banff and Jasper. Camp out and not worry about the bug China gifted to the world so much. You will thank yourselves forever and finally feel like you have something irreplaceable for the motorcyclist bucket list!

my wife and I plan to spend the first year of our retirement nomadic on the bike. Rides like these and a “4 corners of North America” are in the works!

Back