• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

This is an unofficial, no routes, no cost to participate ride; ride when, how, with whom and where you want.
"Its like Summer Camp for Dirt Bikes".

This is a mountain dual sport ride, most ride on plated dirt bikes or the most dirt oriented dual sport bikes. This is called a Dual Sport ride in that its most convenient to ride to and from town to the trails, and to connect trails.
***NOTE - The trails can be very challenging.

There are adventure opportunities as well, usually an adventure group forms up. The New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route goes through the area.

Bring your non-riding husband / wife / partner / kids / siblings also, make it a family vacation.

Ride Goals
The Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride is about giving back, camaraderie, exploration, growth, and being safe; in addition to developing and renewing friendships so no one rides alone.
*Plus, escape the summer heat, ride in the cool mountain air in an alpine environment. And maybe the desert depending on the conditions or time of day.

1. The trails need more riding in, responsibly. If we don't use the trails we risk losing access.
2. More riders over a short period of time will demonstrate the positive economic impact of motorcyclists responsibly using National Forest land.
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride the riders make a donation to the Cloudcroft Fire / EMS on Friday morning at the pre-ride gathering to give back and further off-road motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group.
1664231288837.png

The dollar amount is whatever each rider feels is appropriate, and is made directly by each rider to the Fire Chief. Write a check and get the tax deduction.

Unofficial 2022 Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride calendar:

Sunday, July 24
- Prep Day
Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc. And pickup your 2022 ride sticker.​

Monday, July 25 - Ride Day
Acclamation Day

Tuesday, July 26 - Ride Day
Exploration Day
Dinner - Taco Tuesday @ 630p - Western Bar and Cafe $1.50 Tacos & $6.00 Margaritas​
Wednesday, July 27 - Ride Day
Hero Day IE The Hard day

Thursday, July 28 - Ride Day
Rediscover Day

Friday, July 29 - Ride Day
Safety Day & Cloudcroft Fire / EMS donation @ the pre-ride gathering
Dinner - Post-ride banquet @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB

Daily pre-ride gathering
Ride grouping up takes place each morning starting about 845a @ the: Cloudcroft Pavilion

1664231511561.png

Groups take off about 9a, with a day's worth of fuel or a full charge, ready to ride just after filming the daily video.

Willing group leaders are encouraged and appreciated. The more group leaders there are, the smaller the groups are which offers a better chance for similarity of bike size, ride goals, etc. You don't have to be any expert on the area to lead a group, just have an adventurous spirit and know how to read the map.

It is suggested riders group up based on:
  • Technical desire
  • Expected pace
  • Hours to ride
  • Bike size
  • Range
  • Etc.
Similarity of daily ride goals equals more enjoyment and comfort for each rider.

The group I lead will take a lunch break in the woods about 1p each ride day, I usually bring a sandwich and a snack.

Map
Click the image or link below to view the map, hard copies can be obtained for free at the forest service office.
4 Lost Lodge Rd. Cloudcroft, NM 88317
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
Phone: 575-682-2551

1656024338030.png
Sacramento Ranger District (Cloudcroft area)

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM's) are your legal documents for where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp).

Lincoln National Forest
OHV Trail Riding

Last edited:
Dang it. I’m really wanting to go again next year, but that coincides with my in-law’s fiftieth anniversary. I can’t miss that, even if I wanted to. I told them they should have married in June but it’s too late for that.

It is a great hill when there is snow enough to open completely , once every 5-7 years it seems. Been a struggle with the overall warm temps and the dry winters. Not a good combo for a ski mountain.

I have been wanting to explore this area.
However, I don't qualify for the hard core dirt bike category that this appears to be. Thanks @sanderjavant for taking the time for such a thorough description.
I have a DRZ400 and am not super experienced off pavement, but have done a lot of gravel dirt roads in Texas and some in Big Bend.
Wondering if anyone else is in this category and if there are off pavement routes that would be suitable and enjoyable?
Otherwise, I guess I could bring the R1200GS and just do paved....but I am thinking there won't be others doing this.

I have been wanting to explore this area.
However, I don't qualify for the hard core dirt bike category that this appears to be. Thanks @sanderjavant for taking the time for such a thorough description.
I have a DRZ400 and am not super experienced off pavement, but have done a lot of gravel dirt roads in Texas and some in Big Bend.
Wondering if anyone else is in this category and if there are off pavement routes that would be suitable and enjoyable?
Otherwise, I guess I could bring the R1200GS and just do paved....but I am thinking there won't be others doing this.

There are far more miles of easy dirt and gravel roads in the Sacramento area of Lincoln National Forest than there are of harder trails. A DRZ 400 is perfectly suited to explore this area. Download a copy of MVUM for the Sacramento forest and you will see as well. If you do want to try something a bit more challenging then there are some easier two track routes as well. Everything from Alpine mountains to Desert Mountains and even more.

In the middle of the summer in Cloudcroft it will be 20-25 degrees cooler than anywhere in Texas. For that reason alone it is worth the trip.

I doubt you will have any trouble finding a group with similar ride goals for the day. There are usually multiple groups that form up each day. Last year I know of a group that rode pavement only at least one day. And another one that rode only forest service roads at the most technical.

I ridden class 1 roads all day before on my dirt bike and still had a rewarding experience.

Bring the DRZ and join us.

Last edited:
Regarding:
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride I would like to gather up a group donation for the Cloudcroft EMS to give back and further motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group; the amount is whatever each rider feels is appropriate.

The short ceremony to make the EMS donation to their representative will take place at the pre-ride gathering at the Spruce Cabins on Monday morning July 25th.
2021 donation information.

The top donator will receive the commemorative coffee cup below.

Front
1646786879998.png

Back
1646786939506.png

This might be moving into the realm of possibilities for me. With diesel now at over $5.00 per gallon, I don’t think I’d be able to pull a trailer up there. Cloudcroft is significantly closer, but if fuel prices continue to soar even higher, I might have difficulty pulling my rig anywhere. But I could ride there and tent camp like I’ve heard Keith did back in the day. That’s a possibility.

I’m contemplating selling my trailer but either way Justin I think we can figure something out that works for us both.

I’ll be hangin’ low in Cloudcroft with the wife and doing some work/play time while there. Plan to do the Tuesday, 26th ride at least.

My VRBO is booked. It’s a great week at altitude with cooler temps and good folks.

Y'all better go now then. Stage 2 fire restrictions in place and if it does not rain really soon then Stage 3 is closure. Same issue as the rest of the West. Elevated temperatures, high winds, low humidity and lots of fuel to burn due to extended drought. Plenty of people out disregarding the Stage 2 restrictions and openly having camp fires. I honestly hope it closes at least by Memorial Day if not sooner. Just too big of a chance of fire with people not caring about anything but themselves.

Monsoon season is still over two months away, and in La Nina years like this it is usually not much of a monsoon season.

Back