• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

UnCANCELLED - 14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride​

Ride days 7/25- 7/29/2022

WOW!!!! YEAH!!!!

Date(s): Jun 23, 2022

Welcome back! The Lincoln National Forest will reopen on Friday, June 24, 2022, at 8am after being closed for a month due to fire danger. All three districts of the national forest received substantial rain over the past two weeks which significantly lowered fire danger. More rain is forecasted over the coming weeks for the forest. Forest lands, roads, trails, recreation sites, and campgrounds will again be open to visitors.
Official Termination of the Closure Order

I wish I could be there tomorrow!!!

Last edited:
Some of those single tracks will be harder because of the rains, just depends on what you want to ride. I already checked out one of the roads i like and it wasnt bad.

I have an idea for an epic advanced dual sport route. Going to start putting it together next weekend and see how it pans out but it will cover all corners and the middle of the Sacramento region from the high desert to the top of the forest. More to come and no hints either. :-D

Can it be ridden on a mid size ds , say 800cc gs or tiger?
Don't know much about those bikes but like anything more dependent on the rider. There could be work arounds pretty easy too.. I am laying it all out on a 950 Adventure, but I ride it like a regular dirt bike pretty much. Some of the two track will be fairly rough and rocky, depending on what you are used to. Also I want it to be a full day ride, so once I get out and get an idea of pace, time and distance I will modify as needed.

I don't plan by GPS or routing programs either. so planning from a rough draft in my mind, then riding it to work it out.

I like your style!

Glad I'm spend the extra time in the garage to prepare.

20220618_154405.jpg

Well my XR won't make it this year, I got a call from the suspension shop this morning, UPS lost my shock, the forks did arrive, all were sent in the same gun case. A gun case I used for other suspension shipping. Still trying to process that...

While I search for a replacement shock I bought a new dirt bike, to be unveiled at the ride.

1656437550172.png

Well my XR won't make it this year, I got a call from the suspension shop this morning, UPS lost my shock, the forks did arrive, all were sent in the same gun case. A gun case I used for other suspension shipping. Still trying to process that...

While I search for a replacement shock I bought a new dirt bike, to be unveiled at the ride.

View attachment 324238
Interesting that the shock alone disappeared from inside the sealed case, velly velly interesting.

View attachment 324238
Orange?

I will be the one taking the pictures at that kind of "spot"......won't see me or my bike!!

1656527214351.png

I wonder if I can try that with my wife as well.

“Why is there a new motorcycle in the garage? Because some suspension components went missing in the mail for the other bike.”

I spent the entire day Saturday working out my epic Sacramento Mountains route that I have in my head. I got about half way through and had 100 miles, part of it on some stuff I have never ridden before, and I have been going up to CC for 30 years. I got into some stuff that was quite a challenge on a big bike, and then some epic Cloudcroft mud, all on my 950. Luckily I was with the one person that likes to be punished as much as I do on a big bike.

There is no way that the full route, once I actually get to all of it, will be appropriate for a group ride. However, split up into smaller chunks it would be fun for a small group. It will also be fun for lightweight street legal motorcycles, as it has some technical spots for sure.

Back